Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

pm1977x wrote: »
    I can only imagine the explosion of rage, vitriol, claims of 'police state' etc had we ever been under a nationwide curfew due to Covid so cherry picking the positive out of the situation is disingenuous.

Uh, we are.

You do realise you're currently supposed to be staying in your home at all times except for exercise and buying essentials?

It's effectively a 24 hour curfew.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Been saying it for months but it bears repeating:

Fúck Martin.
    Fúck Varadkar.
    Fúck NPHET.

And especially, Fúck Tony H.

growleaves wrote: »
    Colonel Gaspard famously said that he joined the French Resistance because he couldn't stand night after night of curfew.

Despite all the talk of 'snowflakes', or maybe because of it, people who live in 2021 seem to be one of the most stoic generations in human history. Many people won't even admit that years of restrictions are a burden and get annoyed when someone brings it up.

Colonel Gaspard did not have the option of descending into a spiral of rant fuelled conspiracy on social media in 1941 however. Perhaps if planches.fr had existed in 1941, the online resistance would have concluded that the best course of action to rid the German from their country would have been to storm the Bastille in viking helmets

nj27 wrote: »
    Climate lockdowns have been bandied about in some circles. Actually a good strategy might be to extend level 5 into the summer then segue straight into a climate lockdown which will last until the autumn lockdown for the 4th wave of covid.

"Climate lockdowns", yeah, I've heard this mentioned myself. It's like a bad comedy at this point. I certainly won't be adhering to any such nonsense if it ever comes to pass, but that's for another thread altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

JMNolan wrote: »
    My son has a few buddies over today and he's heading off tonight for a house party. He's thrilled and I'm thrilled for him.

MURDERER!!

Seriously, fairplay. We've thrown the towel in now, its just gone beyond what anyone can expect a family to do. I'm gonna drive to see my mother over the weekend, 100KM round trip. I just don't care any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

nj27 wrote: »
    Climate lockdowns have been bandied about in some circles. Actually a good strategy might be to extend level 5 into the summer then segue straight into a climate lockdown which will last until the autumn lockdown for the 4th wave of covid.

I can see the Opinion pieces now..

"Goys we can like totally save the planet if we just stay in our houses for just 2 weeks" "Hey have you ever heard of pod living?" "These insects taste delicious!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Colonel Gaspard did not have the option of descending into a spiral of rant fuelled conspiracy on social media in 1941 however. Perhaps if planches.fr had existed in 1941, the online resistance would have concluded that the best course of action to rid the German from their country would have been to storm the Bastille in viking helmets

I agree with all the criticisms of online "slacktivism", and real protests would carry more weight.

Don't know what your obsession with some joker in a costume is about. Anything can be made to look silly if you associate it with silliness. That wasn't even anything to do with covid restrictions far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Q4 In your view, are there any other principles that RTÉ should follow?

Answer: Scrap the licence fee and say goodbye to Joe Duffy

I agree with all the criticisms of online "slacktivism", and real protests would carry more weight.

Don't know what your obsession with some joker in a costume is about. Anything can be made to look silly if you associate it with silliness. That wasn't even anything to do with covid far as I know.

Its now become an avatar for generic clueless social media fuelled conspiracy based protest

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »
    Q4 In your view, are there any other principles that RTÉ should follow?

Answer: Scrap the licence fee and say goodbye to Joe Duffy

Constructive

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Russman wrote: »
    Why would you opt for one in a real world situation if you can have a PCR though ?

Imagine if you are going into work or school and are going to be meeting other people.
    Should you take a PCR before you go in the door? If so, What's the point of that when it will take a day or two to get the results back. Are people gonna set up PCR testing labs at the door of businesses and schools?
    If you are not sick or a close contact you don't qualify for a PCR anyway and if the company funds it privately it costs €100+
    Antigens give quick results and you don't need to go to a lab to get one.

Apparently meat factories are now using them as a screen, a good idea.
    Michael McNamara explains it well.

https://twitter.com/MlMcNamaraTD/status/1362416111275433987

By the way, Italy, Germany, Holland, Spain and many other countries now insist on an Antigen test on the day of flying for entry. They see it as better than having a PCR 3 days previous as it gives real time results, not those from 72 hours previous.
    If it's good enough for these countries, why not for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Does anybody on here actually believe we will ever get back to normal? Personally I think Covid is here to stay and we will be dealing with this for the long haul, you will probably have seasonal rise in cases similar to influenza then a retraction and opening back up every summer,
    So what do we do going forward? We can't keep closing down our economy and shutting our borders every year but there doesn't seem to be anybody within government or opposition willing to take a stand so that just leaves civilians to fight these ridiculous restrictions, somehow I don't feel we have enough fight left in us here in this country compared to other EU nations, a sad day for Ireland

Edz87 wrote: »
    I can see the Opinion pieces now..

"Goys we can like totally save the planet if we just stay in our houses for just 2 weeks" "Hey have you ever heard of pod living?" "These insects taste delicious!"

Stop the world and get me off!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

So what do we do going forward?

Vaccinate people?

Its now become an avatar for generic clueless social media fuelled conspiracy based protest

People can object to multi-year Level 5 restrictions sans conspiracy theorising.

Even you could object. Did you start out believing that anything except 'low double-digit case numbers' merits "severe lockdown" all of the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Does anybody on here actually believe we will ever get back to normal? Personally I think Covid is here to stay and we will be dealing with this for the long haul, you will probably have seasonal rise in cases similar to influenza then a retraction and opening back up every summer,
    So what do we do going forward? We can't keep closing down our economy and shutting our borders every year but there doesn't seem to be anybody within government or opposition willing to take a stand so that just leaves civilians to fight these ridiculous restrictions, somehow I don't feel we have enough fight left in us here in this country compared to other EU nations, a sad day for Ireland
    We need a Dark Knight to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

The issue according, to the media and opposition, is not the actual extension of restrictions.

The problem is the "messaging".

Nobody dares ask as to the justification of the restrictions.

NPHET advice is a fait accompli.

To describe it as "advice" is double-speak.

pjohnson wrote: »
    We need a Dark Knight to rise.

p you are the hero Ireland deserves, but not the one it needs right now - with your throwaway one-liners.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Hitler Holohan and his mouthpiece mehole ruining the country and the people for another 9 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Dr Glynn said they are waiting a few more months to see if those vaccines will take an effect. The data at the moment is inconclusive
    He must be worried Our health care staff have a different genetic make up the Israeli’s where vaccinations have already proven to be effective.

One of the journalists last night called him out on NPHET’s dithering and inability to take or make decisions on things because they seem to need to be 100% sure before doing anything.

He got very flustered and almost angry in his defensiveness.

They have been absolutely useless along with the Government.

Early days, unknown pandemic, possibly deadly, lock down, stay at home, only open essentials - all fine.

Year later, pandemic is not all that deadly, response is still the same. Clumsy Level 5 lockdown until vaccination gets us out of it. So what use has our team of 40 of our best and brightest been? SFA in my opinion.

What have we achieved in the year since the start:
    Schools open - Nope,
    Special needs kids catered for - Nope
    Leaving Cert students even - Nope
    Health System extended and expanded to cater for Covid - Nope
    Communication strategy - Appalling and just keeps getting worse.
    Virus is very low risk transmission outdoors so have we tailored our lock downs with this in mind - Have we f**k.
    I'm sure loads more could be added to the list of failures, and very little to the list of successes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Most of the pro-restrictions supporters on this thread are now obsessed with scoring pedantry points over turns of phrase.

I'm not pro-restriction. I'm not obsessed. I'm somewhat pedantic.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Imagine if you are going into work or school and are going to be meeting other people.
    Should you take a PCR before you go in the door? If so, What's the point of that when it will take a day or two to get the results back. Are people gonna set up PCR testing labs at the door of businesses and schools?
    If you are not sick or a close contact you don't qualify for a PCR anyway and if the company funds it privately it costs €100+
    Antigens give quick results and you don't need to go to a lab to get one.

Apparently meat factories are now using them as a screen, a good idea.
    Michael McNamara explains it well.

https://twitter.com/MlMcNamaraTD/status/1362416111275433987

By the way, Italy, Germany, Holland, Spain and many other countries now insist on an Antigen test on the day of flying for entry. They see it as better than having a PCR 3 days previous as it gives real time results, not those from 72 hours previous.
    If it's good enough for these countries, why not for us?

In principle they idea of quick testing is excellent. Technically speaking if truly effective and quick and reasonably accurate that alone could end covid.

However, I fear what may happen is that it will simply increase the number of 'cases', probably quite rapidly, and what seemed a get out will turn into just more restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭C__MC

Leo denying that lockdown will go on for 9 weeks
    If it’s any hope

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

p you are the hero Ireland deserves, but not the one it needs right now - with your throwaway one-liners.

Not summat you do Mr. Hold Firm Accounting Firm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

MOH wrote: »
    lt's effectively a 24 hour curfew.

Ah Jesus. No. It's not.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

C__MC wrote: »
    If it’s any hope

People really need to contact their elected representatives.

These politicians have no back bone...they need to hear from ordinary people who's voices are not being heard in media.

I had a rather heated conversation with a local politician this morning, he got very defensive and condescending very quickly, he hasn't thought this through in any way shape or form or he would have been able to dispense with me otherwise, I wasn't being rude I was being very polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I think people think I reckless for letting the young lad off with his friends but I'm not convinced these restrictions will ever be lifted. People will scoff "how could they keep restrictions forever" and they're probably right but there are constant extensions to the current restrictions, constant virus variants coming into existence. So until it's shown to the contrary as far as I'm concerned these restrictions are here for good and I then have to decide how to live based on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

C__MC wrote: »
    If it’s any hope

He's right........

It'll "go on" for 7 because it's not due to end for 2.

See lads, we're all overreacting........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement