Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

JMNolan wrote: »
    I think people think I reckless for letting the young lad off with his friends but I'm not convinced these restrictions will ever be lifted. People will scoff "how could they keep restrictions forever" and they're probably right but there are constant extensions to the current restrictions, constant virus variants coming into existence. So until it's shown to the contrary as far as I'm concerned these restrictions are here for good and I then have to decide how to live based on that.

Not sure if this guy is joking or not but this would be the exact reason why Ireland is in level 5, if each citizen took responsibilty for their own actions and didnt gather in crowds and did stupid things like his son will do, then I am sure Ireland would not be in such a locked down state.

Its sad to say but Irish people dont like being told what to do and can be very irresponsible people at times from I dont want to pay water charges to littering streets. Its no wonder people have to take these freedoms away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

kilns wrote: »
    Its no wonder people have to take these freedoms away

At least you admit what's being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

frank8211 wrote: »
    There is every excuse. We have a much weaker health service than any of those countries

Yes and no. Covid can grow exponentially. Doubling our hospital/ICU capacity overnight would give us maybe a week given what we have seen during the december/january wave. Quadrupling it, bringing us to the top of the Europe and very close to the best country in the world would give us a couple weeks

Exactly because a lot of people are too selfish to realise what they have and ruin it for others and so to protect others it needs to be taken away because of these people.

It would be great if some Irish people took a certain amount of personal responsibility for once and stopped blaming others

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

At least you came clean as to why it has to be done. The irresponsible minority can not be allowed jeopardise progress for everyone else.

• Advertisement

So your solution is if you can't beat them join them?

The restrictions have brought the cases down from 8000 per day to the current level, but we are still having cases in the hundreds every day.

So sick of reading the constant whinging here about how long the restrictions have been going on for, when the very reason the level hasn't been lightened is because of rampant non-compliance. Look what happened after Christmas when they lifted restrictions for a couple of weeks.

Now more and more here are saying they're going to just give up and do whatever the **** they like. And they'll wonder in 3, 4, 5 weeks time, why the numbers are going up again, and the restrictions have to be continued.

Its very disheartening for anyone who is vulnerable to read this, especially when the vaccination programme has been started and there could be an end in sight.

But sure, "other people are not your concern". I honestly give up.

It's done, I'm afraid. One year with still little end in sight. Many have had enough now and won't continue to play ball.

We'll have to just get the at risk vaccinated asap and reopen. They can't keep going this way beyond 2021 anyway, economically speaking. I feel this is the beginning of the end, regardless of what the government or NPHET think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's not going on and on because some people are not following the rules. It's going on and on despite the vast majority of people following them.

So you're saying it's those moving around for essential purposes and the minority that aren't following the rules.

I'd probably agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Kermit you like a comment saying that "the vaccination programme has been started and there could be an end in sight."

Yet you have already said that restrictions will go on for years and years in your opinion.

The authorities being happy for people to think that lockdowns will continue post-vaccination, and not trying to quell ambiguity about post-vaccination restrictions is going to have effects on "buy-in".

Why didn't anyone in Government explicitly contradict Sam McConkey's claim of a possible 6 years of restrictions?

You can't play games and still expect people to conform to your open-ended demands.

The authorities have left themselves room to play the 'new variants' card.

It's done, I'm afraid. One year with still little end in sight. Many have had enough now and won't continue to play ball.

We'll have to just get the at risk vaccinated asap and reopen. They can't keep going this way beyond 2021 anyway, economically speaking. I feel this is the beginning of the end, regardless of what the government or NPHET think.

Hope has to be provided, a roadmap. I.e. Certain date below certain number of cases and move down a restriction etc etc with time lines for going up or down restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RobitTVUK wrote:
    Government 'increasingly positive' that Brits will be able to have a foreign break this year amid hopes vaccine passport will make international travel 'straightforward'

There is said to be growing optimism in Whitehall that trips abroad will be allowed in the coming months.

It is thought some countries could require proof of vaccination as a condition for quarantine-free travel in the future.

That must be the most daft singular collection of wishy washy media quotes I've seen to date.

Pure rubbish media taglines and click bait.

The UK prime minister has already said that "too early" to know if trips abroad will be allowed this summer with Nichola Sturgeon going further saying travel outside the UK is unlikely.

What the UK is pushing for the summer is domestic holidays. Currently in the UK travel for holiday and other leisure purposes is illegal. . As is leaving your house for anything other than essential reasons.

And yet we have some permantly wallowing themselves with this type of tabloid bs.
    Golfman64 wrote: »
    When this happens, and it will, the level of anger in Ireland at our insular, backward thinking incompetent government will reach a fever pitch we may never have seen before. I’m part looking forward to watching it unfold and partly depressed at how we are stuck in this situation and in a place where we are fined and criminalised if we leave our own country to avail of a better governed and more prosperous land!!!

No it won't 'happen' in the way that tabloid click bait suggests.

All countries have massive restrictions on non essential travel atm.

And yes those restrictions will be rolled back as things improve.

But if you sincerely believe there are "better governed and more prosperous lands" without restrictions out there atm - then you are free to depart as moving abroad permanently is not restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hope has to be provided, a roadmap. I.e. Certain date below certain number of cases and move down a restriction etc etc with time lines for going up or down restrictions.

No plans are going to include set dates anyway. It'll be a checklist of vaccines/cases/icu.

It's done

Exact same thing typed by various posters in each of the following months...;)

March 2020
    April 2020
    May 2020
    June 2020
    July 2020
    August 2020
    September 2020
    October 2020
    November 2020
    December 2020
    January 2021
    February 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Exactly because a lot of people are too selfish to realise what they have and ruin it for others and so to protect others it needs to be taken away because of these people.

It would be great if some Irish people took a certain amount of personal responsibility for once and stopped blaming others
    At least you came clean as to why it has to be done. The irresponsible minority can not be allowed jeopardise progress for everyone else.

What astounds me is how casual ye are about it. Genuinely astonishing. You don't even realize how serious it is to take away peoples freedoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Haven't seen anyone socially since 23 December. I cancelled pub and restaurant plans prior to Christmas when the HSE and Fáilte Ireland were putting out ads about how washing your hands made it safe to go to packed gastropubs. I'm going out to meet my friends and have a few cans and watch the football tomorrow, because I feel like I need some normality and cannot bare the thought of another 9 weeks of being quarantined whilst perfectly healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Even Joe Duffy sounds very depressed this afternoon about the level 5 restrictions continuing for possibly another 70 days. So much frustrating is bubbling across the country.

Exact time thing typed by various posters in each of the following months...;)

March 2020
    April 2020
    May 2020
    June 2020
    July 2020
    August 2020
    September 2020
    October 2020
    November 2020
    December 2020
    January 2021
    February 2021

I could say the same for the "hold firm, we're almost there" crowd ;)

It’s actually pathetic how many people want to blame others for daring to go 7km from their home or maybe even go mental and drop into their ma for a cuppa tea. What sort of hideous person would take part in such barbaric acts?

Yet no one questions why our politicians and doctors have done the sum of nothing in over a year to allow us to live with Covid.

Why don’t we have top class tracing in place? Why haven’t we extended ICU as much as possible? Why aren’t we using antigen testing? Why haven’t we properly controlled the airports?

Those things require work. Easier to just shut down and subject people to poverty and in humane conditions.

Sure the people will blame each other if the narrative is there in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What are you done with?

Didn't you tell me months ago you weren't following any the restrictions from the start?

So again, what are you done with?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Leftwaffe wrote:
    People will ultimately need to take to the streets at some stage.
    My son has a few buddies over today and he's heading off tonight for a house party. He's thrilled and I'm thrilled for him.

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I mean what could possibly go wrong with us all having some mass protests or heading off to house parties just barely a month out from Ireland having the highest rate of infection in the world...

I mean seriously wtf ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

growleaves wrote: »
    Do you worry about the people you are harming by lending your support to multi-year severe lockdowns?

I knew you wouldn’t get a reply to this from anyone. Very telling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

I'll be grand, don't worry about old JMNolan!

Great, Just what we need another Me Feiner:(

growleaves wrote: »
    Kermit you like a comment saying that "the vaccination programme has been started and there could be an end in sight."

Yet you have already said that restrictions will go on for years and years in your opinion.

The authorities being happy for people to think that lockdowns will continue post-vaccination, and not trying to quell ambiguity about post-vaccination restrictions is going to have effects on "buy-in".

Why didn't anyone in Government explicitly contradict Sam McConkey's claim of a possible 6 years of restrictions?

You can't play games and still expect people to conform to your open-ended demands.

The authorities have left themselves room to play the 'new variants' card.

I never said level 5 restrictions will go on years and years. I expect that level to be well over by the summer.

Some restrictions and/or mandates on masks etc will remain for quite a while.

There are no games. It's the reality of the situation the world is in that there is going to be different levels of restrictions depending on the circumstances of the virus in that region.

What astounds me is how casual ye are about it. Genuinely astonishing. You don't even realize how serious it is to take away peoples freedoms.

With freedom comes personal responsibility and you have clearly shown you lack the personal responsibility to act in the best interests of the country as a whole, like many Irish as I said, they are selfish people.

If people acted responsible and take their own personl precautions I am sure Ireland would not be locked down so tight but some people are like 2 year olds and dont have that self control which ruins it for everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It’s actually pathetic how many people want to blame others for daring to go 7km from their home or maybe even go mental and drop into their ma for a cuppa tea. What sort of hideous person would take part in such barbaric acts?

Still inventing scenarios to be outraged over?

Must be exhausting.

Eh. I won't be following restrictions to the letter any more. I'll be visiting family in their home in another county, spending the night occasionally.

I also mask up in shops (and have since it got me funny looks over a year ago), wash my hands, disinfect my groceries, keep my distance from people, and stay well away from the vulnerable people I know. Prior to Christmas I took my child out of school early and filled up the freezer so I could isolate for 14 days before spending Christmas with vulnerable relatives.

The only possible vector for catching/spreading Covid in my life would be a garda checkpoint if they breathe their gross germs all over me.

My conscience is alright with that level of "irresponsibility".

As stated many times, there are degrees between "lock everything down level 5" and "let it rip, **** the oldies".

With freedom comes personal responsibility and you have clearly shown you lack the personal responsibility to act in the best interests of the country as a whole, like many Irish as I said, they are selfish people.

If people acted responsible and take their own personl precautions I am sure Ireland would not be locked down so tight but some people are like 2 year olds and dont have that self control which ruins it for everyone else

Will you go away out of that with your common sense.

"Personal responsibility"? lol. These boardsies are seeking love and support. It's a cry for help in my considered opinion.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Rights are absolute - they cannot be taken away, and there are no terms & conditions. If they can be taken away - then you never had that freedom in the first place, just the illusion of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

I think the media need to stop being puppets like George Lee, everytime I see him on the 6 one I can't get the picture of Tony Holohans hand stuck up his ass out of my head as he talks what they have fed him. The government and heath authorities failures need to be highlighted at every turn. I want to see the daily suicide figures, the daily admissions to mental health units (for those who get in another debacle). Add these to the other stats they hit us with.
    Since you seem to be quite stable at the moment with your mental health as you are advocating for those that arnt quite as well as you. What is your solution to the problem. Lock down boarders and bring mass civil unrest about from those who are just waiting to start again? Or allow the virus to rip and see health care workers collapse from tiredness, nursing homes swamped with infections and death, hospital icu's no longer able to function? Teachers out sick, parents not sure when they can or cant go to work due to constant staff disruption due to isolation.

Or , perhaps would you like to see a considered re opening based on stats and the roll out of the vaccine. Educated people like the NHpet members who have protected our country as best they can when govt has clearly bowed to public pressure and caused thousand of unnecessary deaths over Christmas. You actually cant blame this totally on Govt though as if MM told you to put you head in the fire would you. People behaved the way they did at Christmas because they wanted too. They had to have Their dinner and go shopping!!!!!!

Get a grip and also your free to do what you want. You may have to pay a fine but work away. We are not a totalitarian country and people have choices. Its your choice bud how you behave MM didnt tell you you could or couldnt.:D

Boggles wrote: »
    What are you done with?

Didn't you tell me months ago you weren't following any the restrictions from the start?

So again, what are you done with?

I was clearly referring to the other people coming on here and saying how they had adhered all along, but after latest announcement, they're now finished.

And yes, I have always made my own risk assessment re: the Covid situation. Nothing will change in that regard.

Have a good Friday, Mr. Boggles, and everyone else. I'm off to enjoy the fine weather. *grabs umbrella*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

We are a year into this virus and the only tactic is level 5 lockdown--They threw out the "living with Covid" plan an hour after it was published.

We have 40 members of NPHET, 15 cabinet members and 2 advisors per minister (85 people in total) on combined salaries of approx. €12M and this is their best tactical approach.

It is clear we are building up serious problems economically for our children & grandchildren and more importantly serious health problems in the next 2/3 years with undiagnosed cancers, treatable cancers becoming terminal and possibility obesity in our teenagers from lack of sport.

Kids who would have continue with sports even though they may not be totally immersed in the sport, will have no incentive to return having lost nearly a year of training, games and fun.

We have to find a way to get activities going again. We pay these minister enough money to come up with solutions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement