Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Young and healthy people do not need to be Locked down. I understand the first Lockdown as we had no idea what was happening but we know now. For younger people it's a few ****ty days of being unwell, that's it.

If you are an OAP or in a vulnerable category, isolate yourself. If you are a family member and you care for their wellbeing don't go into their houses. That should be it. We could have 20,000 cases a day and if it's young people, it would barely register on the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

C__MC wrote: »
    Peoples might get the fright of their lives come autumn when the effects of this really hit the economy

I think the appetites for lockdowns will die when the budget gets released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Leo has just said easing of restrictions will be extremely slow.

He said it will be similar to the rate it happened last year

Barbers open in July again so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    I think the appetites for lockdowns will die when the budget gets released.

Pascal will fire out another big bag of cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

the health service was very near the limit of it's capacity at 7000 cases, that was not sustainable and tbh neither is 1000.
    the elderly being vaccinated is only part of getting us out of this, because they are does not mean we all go back to normal as that is unviable as it's not just the elderly potentially effected.
    so i'm afraid restrictions are necessary until such time as, .

Is it ever not "nearly" at its limit?
    Tony was 'very concerned' at 100 cases, 200 cases, 400 cases. Ffs, do you ever see the man saying he's fine and dandy?

Maybe when pubs are shut down permanently (a well documented ambition of his since long before covid), the economy is utterly broken and we're finally exiting restrictions in 2032.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

MOH wrote: »
    Fixed that for you

Great contribution thanks for your input. Anything to add yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Aph2016 wrote: »
    It's insane that people have put up with these lockdowns for almost a year by the time this current lockdown ends. I can't understand why there hasn't been mass protests, people seem to be too comfortable at home, many pushing for more restrictions. What a farce.

Well, because there's plenty of groups at home due to closures, for example; Retail and hospitality, traditionally lower paying jobs.. who in some cases may be getting the €350p/w, whereas they could have been on say €450p/w...take away travel costs, lunches etc. and you're not worse off really...apart from being bored then why complain?

Then you've State paid employees who normally work from Office Mon-Fri.... now sitting at home on full pay with probably at most a few hours work per week out of a normal 37.5 hour week...

And the Tech workers who for them the only difference is they don't have to travel into the office... workloads may be lower also but not much and still on full pay...

Workers in Food retail, delivery/distribution and other "essential" retail services have never been busier and have no time to complain...

So basically the country is still lowering down the Pints of beer(at home)... still drunk..... but there's an almighty hangover coming when the cost of borrowing rises and dries up, then governments will have to rely on high levels of taxation and expensive borrowing... then you may see some protests...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Young and healthy people do not need to be Locked down. I understand the first Lockdown as we had no idea what was happening but we know now. For younger people it's a few ****ty days of being unwell, that's it.

If you are an OAP or in a vulnerable category, isolate yourself. If you are a family member and you care for their wellbeing don't go into their houses. That should be it. We could have 20,000 cases a day and if it's young people, it would barely register on the health service.

The longer this thing is allowed hang around, the greater the chance that mutates into ever more lethal forms.

Plus I don't fancy having a "full life" until age 50 before getting locked up till death, do you?

And a lot of other reasons why that isn't a good idea too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

No. It is down to the muppets who are too selfish to follow the rules and constantly try to shift the blame to the government,Tony Holohan, NPHET, Uncle Tom Cobley and all, and refuse to admit responsibility for they themselves being the main cause of restrictions being extended .

ROFL.

The blame lies entirely with the bunch of clowns who have totally mismanaged the situation for the past six months. Selfish muppets not following the rules hasn't helped, but massive policy failures are the root casue.

C__MC wrote: »
    The irish have always been a strange bunch
    FF only 10 years ago put the country on its knees, 10 years later there back as top dogs

A girl who used to work at a gym I was a member of said to my Sister that the Irish are way too forgiving.

That and the Parish pump Politics. "That's _______. He got the roads paved 10 years ago. So we got to keep voting for him." Or "That's _____ son. We got to vote for him."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It's insane that people have put up with these lockdowns for almost a year by the time this current lockdown ends. I can't understand why there hasn't been mass protests, people seem to be too comfortable at home, many pushing for more restrictions. What a farce.

You would wonder why there hasn't been protests, I'm still astonished there have not been any major movements. It seems to be mostly confined to the internet. But even though people against restrictions are a minority they are still a sizeable group in every country, in Ireland smaller perhaps, but still at least 10% of the population and probably as much as 20% or more., and that is still a large number of people in total numbers and more than enough for significant protests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Seweryn wrote: »
    Agree. And there are two reasons for this situation:

- Economical - With PUP and other welfare schemes no one gets truly hit or go hungry short term.

- Sociological - Within the last few decades people living here have never experienced any direct oppression from their own Government, so they can't smell the trouble coming or know how to react. They never had to fight for their freedom, and there is misconception that the Government is acting in favour of the public.

There is a willed naivety based on a homo economicus view of man. Apparently there are no bad people, just transparently rational material decisions.

Add total demoralisation to your list as well. Many people now are like beaten dogs. They need a spiritual renewal but won't get it from electronic media.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    You would wonder why there hasn't been protests, I'm still astonished there have not been any major movements. It seems to be mostly confined to the internet. But even though people against restrictions are a minority they are still a sizeable group in every country, in Ireland smaller perhaps, but still at least 10% of the population and probably as much as 20% or more., and that in total is still a huge number of people in total numbers and more than enough for significant protests.

The reason is that there's no viable alternative on offer from the people who would likely protest.

The equivalent of walking up and down with a placard stating "I don't like this!"

There has to be a unifying, acceptable alternative to protest FOR.

FFS this is ridiculous. And they wonder why people are ignoring them at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CatalogJinx

Mad how much different information is going around at the minute and the way decisions are being made. IT reporting over 70s will begin to be vaccinated in Feb yet it's leaking all over the place that lockdown will be with us for a long time still. At least last march we were dealing with the unknown and we could get onside with a lockdown.

It kind of frightens me how the government can say, "not really sure lads but we might lock things up till June or so and see whats happening then", the first lockdown felt considered in a way and appropriate but now it seems like they know they can 'get away with it' for ages so it's an easy 'go to' tool. Crazy how quickly we adapt to a new situation and accept it as the norm when, in fact, a government official telling us our liberties are to be restricted for at least another 5 months is anything but normal.

The government are playing it very clever. Lots of people believe the nonsense. We just need to flatten the curve. We just need to keep it flat. We need to get the schools back. We need to save Christmas. Vaccines are coming. They’re making believe that it’s all going to end soon.

But it’s not. Come 5th March, I can almost guarantee we won’t come out of lockdown. Possibly non essential retail might reopen. And they’ll try to pass it off as level 3+++ or some nonsense. But I’m not even convinced of that. It could just be schools are back and some more construction.

They’re paying billions and billions of euro in hush money to keep people and business compliant and keep this thing rolling.

I don’t think the government have any particular sinister agenda. They just couldn’t be bothered making hard decisions so lockdown and huge unemployment it is.

Irish people will likely won’t protest either. At least not in meaningful numbers. But people will start giving the restrictions the two fingers again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

small restrictions on the population and shutting non-essential stuff such as the hospitality industry is necessary to minimise virus spread and keep those hospitals functioning even if at a quite level, eventually again.
    that's not going to change until such time as it is safe for it to do so.

yes, but i'm afraid the reality is it won't be as much as would be without lock down.
    you can't catch car crashes, and we do implement things to try and prevent where possible, car crashes.
    so therefore car crashes and any of the other invalid comparisons that have been already shown a plenty to be invalid, remain invalid.
    what the BBC posted is fact, if it makes someone grow up and realise the reality of what we are dealing with then that's a good thing.

living with covid was always going to be doing what we are doing.
    living with covid with no or little restrictions and little disruption was never going to happen and was never workable, if you were expecting otherwise then really you were on a hiding in to nothing because it was never going to be the case.
    we already know lock downs do work, 1 of the main countries anti-lock down supporters got behind had to eventually go into lock down.

Small restrictions??? Where have you been for the last 11 months.

WE now know the virus is perfectly manageable in the summer months....there is little to no risk to opening up most of the hospitality trade in those months, it is perfectly safe to socialize in these places.

WE also now know that when it does surge, it takes about 6 weeks then numbers drop off.

There is a big difference between imposing restrictions and level 5...nobody is or has argued there shouldn't be restrictions at this time of year.

Nobody said the BBC made it up...but if you can't see when you are being emotionally manipulated then we are wasting each other's time here!!!

I do wonder if people stayed away from media for a month or two would they be better able to filter what is happening...The Late Late Show pulled a stunt last Friday night by bringing on a grieving woman in front of the nation in a blatant attempt manipulate us all.

I know of two families who have lost family members to suicide during the first lockdown...you can be sure their grieving families won't be heard!

Of course he would with a fat pension to look forward to on top of a hefty salary. He'll be living it up in Marbella within two years and the ordinary Joe Bloggs left to foot the huge Covid bill. As others have related here, March is the furthest extent this nonsense can go. Vaccinations reaching key demographics and cases down to a trickle. After that, if the government don't make concessions proper it's time to hit the streets to reopen the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Think you're all reading in to things too much.

The government is not after you. No lizard people, as Alex Jones would say, are running things in the background.

Also there is a conspiracy theory forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Of course he would with a fat pension to look forward to on top of a hefty salary. He'll be living it up in Marbella within two years and the ordinary Joe Bloggs left to foot the huge Covid bill. As others have related here, March is the furthest extent this nonsense can go. Vaccinations reaching key demographics and cases down to a trickle. After that, if the government don't make concessions proper it's time to hit the streets to reopen the economy.

Varadkar was talking about travel restrictions until beyond Christmas 2021 and very slow lifting of restrictions into the summer. Very little will be open in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You would wonder why there hasn't been protests, I'm still astonished there have not been any major movements. It seems to be mostly confined to the internet. But even though people against restrictions are a minority they are still a sizeable group in every country, in Ireland smaller perhaps, but still at least 10% of the population and probably as much as 20% or more., and that is still a large number of people in total numbers and more than enough for significant protests.

I think we are in a state of shock, collectively, we have never seen anything like the media battering we have witnessed over the last 11 months, the smartest thing I did was watch as little as possible if only for my own mental health.

There are loads of people fed up with this, most of whom are obeying the restrictions as I see it...but we can all see elderly parents, kids, friends struggle with this...at some point something will snap, it will be a combination of the above and witnessing mass protests elsewhere....the Brits will be one of the first on the streets in huge numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CatalogJinx

I think we are in a state of shock, collectively, we have never seen anything like the media battering we have witnessed over the last 11 months, the smartest thing I did was watch as little as possible if only for my own mental health.

There are loads of people fed up with this, most of whom are obeying the restrictions as I see it...but we can all see elderly parents, kids, friends struggle with this...at some point something will snap, it will be a combination of the above and witnessing mass protests elsewhere....the Brits will be one of the first on the streets in huge numbers.

It does totally feel like a media hammering. Like a big boot stamping on us for eternity (not to be dramatic).

The most fascinating thing about the media bombardment is that it is gobbled up hungrily by people to the point where if anyone even attempts to offer a slightly different perspective there will be an edgelord waiting somewhere to call them a conspiracy theorist or 'gemmaroid' or whatever that term is.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I genuinely can't cope with another year like 2020, tbh if it's like that and I'm stopped working again for the guts of another year, I and many other people will lose their homes by the end of it. The banks kindness has certainly ran out. Tbh the adverse mental health effects of this in my opinion after a year outweigh the benefits of lockdown. There I people I know who are genuinely hanging on by a thread and to be honest I could see myself that way after another lost year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i'm afraid young and healthy people do have to be locked down temporarily so as to minimise the spread of the virus and protect the country, it's people and the systems of the country especially the health system.
    for some, maybe even most younger people, it could be nothing at all, or just a few days of feeling unwell, but for others it can be very serious.
    being young and healthy does not prevent you from getting or suffering serious effects, it simply means you are less likely to do so, but not guaranteed to not do so.
    the same as being older makes you at higher risk and more likely to suffer serious effects and even death, but not guaranteed to do so.
    people simply isolating while the rest of us go about our business doesn't work as it keeps transmission rates high in the community and ultimately puts those isolating at much much greater risk.
    not to mention that those who are vulnerable are a mix of people, many, probably most of them are working, and with them out of the work place that puts strain on the areas where they work, meaning this is unviable.
    20000 cases a day will i'm afraid register on the health system as a proportion of them will end up having to use it.
    Is it ever not "nearly" at its limit?
    Tony was 'very concerned' at 100 cases, 200 cases, 400 cases. Ffs, do you ever see the man saying he's fine and dandy?

Maybe when pubs are shut down permanently (a well documented ambition of his since long before covid), the economy is utterly broken and we're finally exiting restrictions in 2032.

it's tony's job to be concerned about the various numbers of cases so i'm no way bothered in relation to that specific issue.
    pubs were dieing long before covid and would continue to do so regardless and will do so after it, so covid is really only hastening what was going to happen anyway.
    plenty will reopen again but the days of 5 or 6 pubs in a village or town were always going to come to an end as it was unsustainable.
    realistically it is the parts of the economy that are working which really keep the show on the road in general, rather then what is closed.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

One thing Leo did dismiss, thankfully, was this zero Covid rubbish. He said it’s not something he or NPHET see workable for this country. They’re all about suppressing it enough so the numbers are manageable. They know there’s no getting rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    FFS this is ridiculous. And they wonder why people are ignoring them at this stage.

The responsible ones are not ignoring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Anyone care to guess on a timeline for easing restrictions until we are back to level 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

MattS1 wrote: »
    Anyone care to guess on a timeline for easing restrictions until we are back to level 3?

End of March.

Despite it being well known for months that Vitamin D deficiency plays a huge role in the severity of Covid-19, there has been no acknowledgment of it or recommendation to supplement, much less an effort to provide Vitamin D to those at risk of more severe disease. So that's quite enough of this "doing all they could in tough circumstances" nonsense.

Even this one action could have reduced the hospitalisation and death rates hugely so that the very notion of a level 5 lockdown in 2021 would have been laughable.

But nah. Ignore the evidence and lock 'er up instead.

The official channels still haven't informed the public at large that they ought to be supplementing vitamin D.

Passing the buck is what it is and what it ever was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

May.

pubs were dieing long before covid and would continue to do so regardless and will do so after it, so covid is really only hastening what was going to happen anyway.
    plenty will reopen again but the days of 5 or 6 pubs in a village or town were always going to come to an end as it was unsustainable.
    realistically it is the parts of the economy that are working which really keep the show on the road in general, rather then what is closed.

Sounds like a personal wish more than reality.

When this is finally over, pubs will be mental busy for a long time.

Thespoofer wrote: »
    May.

Do you think the public will do 4 months of lockdown when we could barely do 4 weeks in Nov?

Probably July I’d say.

One thing Leo did dismiss, thankfully, was this zero Covid rubbish. He said it’s not something he or NPHET see workable for this country. They’re all about suppressing it enough so the numbers are manageable. They know there’s no getting rid of it.

What does "workable" mean here, is it just a way of saying "too much work"? We're an island, for Christ's sake, half the battle is done.

Suppressing a thing that grows exponentially is the height of retardation. The way we have lived the last year is "suppressing" it.

There are three options...

1) live like this ad infinitum

2) do nothing and watch the country crash within 2 months from the sickness

3) eliminate the virus through a zero migration, hunt and kill approach.

Only one of those options has a chance of a cheerful outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Gradius wrote: »
    What does "workable" mean here, is it just a way of saying "too much work"? We're an island, for Christ's sake, half the battle is done.

Suppressing a thing that grows exponentially is the height of retardation. The way we have lived the last year is "suppressing" it.

There are three options...

1) live like this ad infinitum

2) do nothing and watch the country crash within 2 months from the sickness

3) eliminate the virus through a zero migration, hunt and kill approach.

Only one of those options has a chance of a cheerful outcome.

4) vaccinate the vulnerable and get on with normal life.

• Advertisement

Leo said July earlier on tv

Multipass wrote: »
    4) vaccinate the vulnerable and get on with normal life.

You wait and see how that works out, just watch how it unfolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://twitter.com/ConorReddyPBP/status/1353841999988871169
    Saw this popup was just discussed on Clair Byrne funnily enough..looks like my guess wasn't too far off!

How surreal is it to think back to March..when everybody was shocked by the two week extensions to now talking about another 3 months of lockdown over a year later. Man

Probably July I’d say.

Would we not just round it up to the next decade while we are at it? Not a hope we will be in L5 until July

Where? Would you have a link. Did he say L5 or just restrictions until July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Gradius wrote: »
    You wait and see how that works out, just watch how it unfolds.

Oh it’ll unfold with media hysteria over one or two unlucky cases. Turn the spotlight on any disease to this degree and I guarantee you’ll find the horror stories. We have to develop some perspective.

Well according to Leo they’re working on reopening schools on a phased basis throughout Feb and into March, so that will take first priority. Then onto non essential retail which he said he hoped to see open by “Easter/ summer”, which are two very different time periods, and it wasn’t a very committed response. So who knows! I don’t think they’ll even entertain the idea of answering anything to do with level 3 until the schools are sorted and all of that is up in the air with unions and all sorts. Any level 3 relaxation will depend on how schools get on first. I think they’re in for a rough ride once cases are under 200. There will be pressure from all sides to reopen

Summer 2022 when Leo's back in charge.

If I had to guess, I’d think March and April might see schools, more construction and possibly retail coming back at some point.

But I think it will be mid to late summer before restaurants reopen. And I think they’ll try find a way to separate restaurants and gastro pubs.

For the pubs, I just can’t see it in 2021. And I think they’ll do everything they can to prevent people from travelling in 2021.

When did he say July?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Zero Covid thing is just a political game from opposition politicians that were silent during the first 6 months. They were on the fence wondering which side to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

But but but one of your buddies here is claiming that many barbers are working on the sly right now. I`m sure he will tip you off as to where they are if you think you need one before then.

Would we not just round it up to the next decade while we are at it? Not a hope we will be in L5 until July

It will be level 5 in all but name.

They’ll probably call it level 3++ or something.

Where? Would you have a link. Did he say L5 or just restrictions until July

He said it will be a very slow relaxation of restrictions, as slow as last years.

Some retail gradually and then the rest.

Made valid points re travel quarantine and essential workers, essentially so many essential workers travel from abroad due to multinationals here it’s an impossible task to achieve 0 Covid.

It will be level 5 in all but name.

They’ll probably call it level 3++ or something.

Can't see anyone complying until July. Maybe until the middle of February.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement