Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

That's grand if it's a few weeks. Say you normally earn 500 your down 150. That's a fair chunk of money down over a year and you have the tax to pay back too.

Augeo wrote: »
    Your sample size is 2 seemingly?

PUP is €350 for folk with average weekly earnings of €400 or over ............ your mate's gf must have been a wonderful hairdresser if the PUP is 50% of her pay.

€12 an hour and €44 a day tips wouldn't be an unreasonable amount for a hairdresser with a bit of experience to earn. That would put PUP of €350 at 50% of their usual earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    That's grand if it's a few weeks. Say you normally earn 500 your down 150. That's a fair chunk of money down over a year and you have the tax to pay back too.

A huge chunk of the 25% of Irish people who have no job today have been thrown into the gutter by this Government...they are kidding themselves if they think the electorate will forget this any time soon.

Once the Covid hysteria recedes, and it will....the true political cost of this will be felt.

I said yesterday, FF/Fg/Greens have just put the house on the fact that there isn't a major seasonal element to this viral infection...it is an extraordinary, inhumane, unscientific based gamble the people won't forget in a hurry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

How long can this horror show go on? Life is not meant to be lived this way. There's a demarcation on life here that is not natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

gozunda wrote: »
    You can stop the spoofing for a start. From the very start you've made it quite clear you have no respect for any of the existing restrictions to date and reckon that Covid is a joke or wtte

You've variously claimed to be travelling regularly. That you've already booked flights to Spain and couldn’t care less about restrictions whilst repeatedly bringing the kids to the beach amongst other things

Whatever about the mature and responsible adult - I don't believe a word of it ..

Ouch. There l was, taking his post at face value.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Cop on would you.

He is speaking from experience. Are you going to ask him if his story is peer reviewed?

The science-worship waffle that comes from IT workers and low level bureaucrats is half the problem.

Most of these people haven't been near a laboratory since they did Junior Cert Biology but they think if they throw out enough tech-speak it appears authoritative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Haha see what you did there :pac:

Yeah as for a little flavour of the type of demands being made ' I said "go back on boards for example.

That MM and friends did allow the bs it is no less reprehensible tbf.

Your OP claimed that the restrictions were only lifted at christmas because of pressure from the public who were demanding an end to restrictions.
    Which is untrue.

And then you tried to justify it by saying "look at boards posts!"

And now you are backtracking because its just 'an example'.

PUP is €350 for folk with average weekly earnings of €400 or over ............ your mate's gf must have been a wonderful hairdresser if the PUP is 50% of her pay.

Unless she was partime of course.

Your other mate the barman must have been on a great wedge also if €350/week isn't a fair chunk of it.

PUP is 350 a week, which is less than minimum wage for a 40hr work week fyi.

Granted some people work shifts and part time and work less than that, but a lot in service industry in particular would recoup a lot in tips.

Must be a middle class thing to be blissfully unaware of what is/isnt a livable wage week to week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A huge chunk of the 25% of Irish people who have no job today have been thrown into the gutter by this Government...they are kidding themselves if they think the electorate will forget this any time soon.

Once the Covid hysteria recedes, and it will....the true political cost of this will be felt.

Yes, the voters will be flocking to those anti-lockdown parties, such as, erm, yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

growleaves wrote: »
    Cop on would you.

He is speaking from experience. Are you going to ask him if his story is peer reviewed?

The science-worship waffle that comes from IT workers and low level bureaucrats is half the problem.

Most of these people haven't been near a laboratory since they did Junior Cert Biology but they think if they throw out enough tech-speak it appears authoritative.

The ILOVESCIENCE types would be a hell of a lot more tolerable if they understood anything about the science that they push. They read headlines, conclusions, and don't care one bit about methodology once it tells them what they want to hear.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

SF majority so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Ulster Bank pulling out of Ireland should sound alarm bells across the Government and society. We need more banks and competition in Ireland, not less. SME's and others are going to struggle to reopen, and default on loans. Mortgages could also default when the money runs out. Ulster is cutting and running before things get very ugly for the economy. If we keep Lockdown as our only method of controlling Covid, this will just get worse and worse.
    Currently listening to the Construction federation on RTE 1, practically begging to reopen and get NPHET's blessing. They should never have been closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SushiLover31

Is anyone able to find any groups/places off boards to discuss the opinion that lockdown should be lifted at least a little bit? I can find anywhere reasonable that isn't completely over-run by antivaxxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Compo82

It's crazy not allowing constructions to open, all construction is open all over Europe and don't see why Ireland has to be the exception. Ulster bank pulling out should set alarm bells ringing for the economy but they seem deaf to the issues coming down the road i.e housing crisis, unemployment, huge debts both public and private etc. They are really destroying the economy at this stage. Our only hope for restrictions lifting appears for the money to eventually run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ulster Bank pulling out of Ireland should sound alarm bells across the Government and society. We need more banks and competition in Ireland, not less. SME's and others are going to struggle to reopen, and default on loans. Mortgages could also default when the money runs out. Ulster is cutting and running before things get very ugly for the economy. If we keep Lockdown as our only method of controlling Covid, this will just get worse and worse.
    Currently listening to the Construction federation on RTE 1, practically begging to reopen and get NPHET's blessing. They should never have been closed.

To be fair Ulster Bank move was coming a long way and has nothing to do with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Has it? Then why do we have some eejits claiming no one has been able to see anyone in a year? Or that they need to be "rewarded". despite the "meaningful Christmas" :rolleyes:

But what you're saying we're fuked no matter what the Government does because "human nature must be accounted for" and some peoples right to party or meet up with friends or whatever ?

But yes all because of the pressure from people demanding a break for Christmas when rules around household mixing were eased, and limits on travel between counties were lifted - we're now shafted with rising numbers of people infected with Covid. And add to this a new more infectious strain of the virus, first detected in the UK, spreading here and the current case numbers now being difficult to get back down.

But fuk that we need another break. What could possibly go wrong again?

We don’t need another break. We need a more nuanced, balanced plan for living with this virus that considers everyone’s needs and well-being.

Each time we lock down we do it for harder and for longer than the last, and it’s absolutely absurd to expect people to adhere to such strict restrictions for 18 weeks+.
    That’s over a quarter of the year, for goodness sake. When these lockdowns were first brought in it was widely accepted that they are only effective if done for short, brief snaps, to ensure compliance and that people don’t get fatigued.
    Not including our ‘Christmas break’, we will have been in lockdown for 25 weeks come May 5th.
    Dublin will have been in it almost 30 weeks.
    How can you possibly not see that these extremely long lockdowns are what’s causing these massive surges when anything reopens?

Because it’s going to happen again.
    When we reopen, whenever that is, cases will rise as people will make the most of the respite because they know we only get brief periods of somewhat normality before the government get out the sledgehammer again. Take away the supply and the demand just grows and grows, it doesn’t lessen or go away.
    Then the government panics, shuts down the country again, rinse and repeat.

This is a completely unnatural and unsustainable way of living, particularly in the long term, and acting as if people are weak and selfish for not wanting to continue with this suicide mission is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

So your solution is if you can't beat them join them?

The restrictions have brought the cases down from 8000 per day to the current level, but we are still having cases in the hundreds every day.

So sick of reading the constant whinging here about how long the restrictions have been going on for, when the very reason the level hasn't been lightened is because of rampant non-compliance. Look what happened after Christmas when they lifted restrictions for a couple of weeks.

Now more and more here are saying they're going to just give up and do whatever the **** they like. And they'll wonder in 3, 4, 5 weeks time, why the numbers are going up again, and the restrictions have to be continued.

Its very disheartening for anyone who is vulnerable to read this, especially when the vaccination programme has been started and there could be an end in sight.

But sure, "other people are not your concern". I honestly give up.

Schools reopening will drive the numbers back up, nphet will know it, but they'll scapegoat another group then. What are we back to blaming now? Funerals? Well go with funerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭amandstu

Suppose my friend(s) live beyond my 5k limit** ,can we still meet up for a walk outside in an area that is (separately) within each other's 5k limit?

Seems to me that we can (provided we socially distance and use our own transport to get there..

Am I right?

** ie they live between 5k and 10k from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’ve known about this for quite some time now and can assure you it’s not covid related! Maybe covid expedited it slightly but it was always happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

timmyntc wrote: »
    Your OP claimed that the restrictions were only lifted at christmas because of pressure from the public who were demanding an end to restrictions.
    Which is untrue.And then you tried to justify it by saying "look at boards posts!"And now you are backtracking because its just 'an example'.

Well you need to read that comment again because you've missed most of it. And incorrect. Did not use the word 'only'.And indeed I did use the words "for example" in the Comment you yourself quoted. Sorry If that doesn't suit ;)

Forget the appropriating blame game. Yes we had eejits screaming for their rights to have their visits and travel over Christmas and yes as you said the government allowed that. We can take that as read.

But more importantly that fiasco ended up where we had the highest infection rates in the World just over a month ago and we now have daily case numbers which are see-sawing and not declining exponentially despite the level 5 restrictions.

But yet again we have the same moaning and groaning that some want the same roll back of restrictions despite the ****sfest at Christmas.

But yeah let's ignore that bit and argue that its all about that it was all Johnny's and not Mary's fault :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

ingo1984 wrote: »
    Schools reopening will drive the numbers back up, nphet will know it, but they'll scapegoat another group then. What are we back to blaming now? Funerals? Well go with funerals.

I don't get what happens when the numbers inevitably go back up from the schools reopening? Say we start to see some effect from numbers dropping due to vaccinations, that'll surely be balanced out by cases caused by schools being open? So if we come to May and the average number of cases per day is still around the 700-800 mark do we continue with Level 5 lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

amandstu wrote: »
    Suppose my friend(s) live beyond my 5k limit** ,can we still meet up for a walk outside in an area that is (separately) within each other's 5k limit?

Seems to me that we can (provided we socially distance and use our own transport to get there..

Am I right?

Yes i would say as neither of you driven be on the 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Well you need to read that comment again because you've missed the point.

But nope. Incorrect. Did not use the word 'only'.
    And indeed I did use the words "for example" sorry If that doesn't suit ;)

Forget the fuking blame game. Yes we had eejits screaming for their rights to have their visits and travel over Christmas and yes as you said the government allowed that.

But importantly that fiasco ended up where we had the highest infection rates in the World just over a month ago and we now have daily case numbers which are see-sawing and not declining exponentially despite the level 5 restrictions.

But yet again we have the same moaning and groaning that some want the same roll back of restrictions despite the ****sfest at Christmas.

But yeah let's ignore that bit and argue that its all about that it was all Johnny's and not Mary's fault :rolleyes:

Deaths and respiratory illnesses always peak in mid-January. Its going to happen next January as well even if we stay in Level 5 all year. Even if you ban Christmas 2021.

amandstu wrote: »

Am I right?

No. In level 5 you are "asked to stay at home" unless for essential reasons.

But both you and they can take exercise within 5km of your home, so get some sweat bands on and jog on the spot if the guards come along.

Or meet at a graveyard. You can travel under level 5 "to visit a grave" and the restrictions don't say it has to be someone you know/knew, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Boggles wrote: »
    SF majority so?

thankfully sf support lock down so that won't be a viable option for them.

and thankfully for me as an sf voter i am unlikely to have the anti-lock down brigade supporting the party.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Yes i would say as neither of you driven be on the 5k.

No. Leaving home to meet with a friend outdoors and socially distanced is not an adequate excuse to be out of your home according to level 5 restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

ingo1984 wrote: »

Can we not just blame someone else this time.
    How about roving packs of lycra-clad cyclists?

Well you need to read that comment again because you've missed most of it. And incorrect. Did not use the word 'only'.And indeed I did use the words "for example" sorry If that doesn't suit ;)

Forget the appropriating blame game. Yes we had eejits screaming for their rights to have their visits and travel over Christmas and yes as you said the government allowed that. We can take that as read.

But more importantly that fiasco ended up where we had the highest infection rates in the World just over a month ago and we now have daily case numbers which are see-sawing and not declining exponentially despite the level 5 restrictions.

And why did we have the highest infection rates in the world?
    Because of the preceding lockdowns for months on end!

Other countries that werent under stringent lockdowns for months on end before christmas, didnt see nearly as big as surge at christmas as us - why? hmm, maybe because they didnt have a huge pent up demand for socialising and shopping.

we now have daily case numbers which are see-sawing and not declining exponentially despite the level 5 restrictions.

Quite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

No. Leaving home to meet with a friend outdoors and socially distanced is not an adequate excuse to be out of your home according to level 5 restrictions.

But of course it could be where both party's excise anyway you could accidental cross paths , all with in the 5k, keeping distance with mask on of course and how long this going now people are going to do this anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement