Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Noticing a shift in attitude to these nonsense lockdowns. Twitter is full of people venting. The anger towards the Gardai for fining a lone man on a beach is massive. Poor guy probably out for some fresh air or to clear his head all alone and those so called guardians fine him €100. Despicable.

Also noticing more and more people are starting to struggle with depression and the crippling loneliness.

The mess with the vaccines and the thoughts of 3, 4 or 5 more months of this is taking its toll.

You’d be utterly sick of it all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

He said it will be a very slow relaxation of restrictions, as slow as last years.

Some retail gradually and then the rest.

Made valid points re travel quarantine and essential workers, essentially so many essential workers travel from abroad due to multinationals here it’s an impossible task to achieve 0 Covid.

I think he was just referring to the time frame between easing last year, so increments of 3 weeks between each stage - not the specific months. That’s how I took it up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If I had to guess, I’d think March and April might see schools, more construction and possibly retail coming back at some point.

But I think it will be mid to late summer before restaurants reopen. And I think they’ll try find a way to separate restaurants and gastro pubs.

For the pubs, I just can’t see it in 2021. And I think they’ll do everything they can to prevent people from travelling in 2021.

I’ll be shocked if schools return before September, can’t see them returning for the last term

I’ve seen nothing to inspire confidence that’s a runner.

Pubs are gone for as long as he can keep them shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

If I had to guess, I’d think March and April might see schools, more construction and possibly retail coming back at some point.

But I think it will be mid to late summer before restaurants reopen. And I think they’ll try find a way to separate restaurants and gastro pubs.

For the pubs, I just can’t see it in 2021. And I think they’ll do everything they can to prevent people from travelling in 2021.

For probably the one and only time I agree with you abut wet pubs and travel restrictions. And if that is the way it turns out it will be because it is necessary.

I think he was just referring to the time frame between easing last year, so increments of 3 weeks between each stage - not the specific months. That’s how I took it up anyway.

Did Claire not say that’s 5 months away at one stage?

I could be wrong, I understood him to mean it’s a similar time as in July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

He said it will be a very slow relaxation of restrictions, as slow as last years.

Some retail gradually and then the rest.

Made valid points re travel quarantine and essential workers, essentially so many essential workers travel from abroad due to multinationals here it’s an impossible task to achieve 0 Covid.

This whole line of reasoning is like a Chinese finger trap. Trying to pull harder to get out of it, when it's clearly having the opposite effect.

There's no point having "essential" workers floating around continents to save the economy...when the economy is dying on its arse because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Did Claire not say that’s 5 months away at one stage?

I could be wrong, I understood him to mean it’s a similar time as in July

Oh god, I can’t remember, maybe :/
    I did hear him say “Easter/summer” in reference to non essential retail and I remember it because I said to himself that’s two completely different time frames.
    I thought his point was that they wouldn’t be opening up all industries together this time like they did at Christmas and that it would be more like last summer, the staged increments.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Summer 2022 when Leo's back in charge.

December 2022 actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lundstram wrote: »
    Noticing a shift in attitude to these nonsense lockdowns. Twitter is full of people venting. The anger towards the Gardai for fining a lone man on a beach is massive. Poor guy probably out for some fresh air or to clear his head all alone and those so called guardians fine him €100. Despicable.

Also noticing more and more people are starting to struggle with depression and the crippling loneliness.

The mess with the vaccines and the thoughts of 3, 4 or 5 more months of this is taking its toll.

Are you new to twitter or something? :P

• Advertisement

Gradius wrote: »
    This whole line of reasoning is like a Chinese finger trap. Trying to pull harder to get out of it, when it's clearly having the opposite effect.

There's no point having "essential" workers floating around continents to save the economy...when the economy is dying on its arse because of it.

How pharmaceutical’s continue production without adequate expertise required from abroad for utilities etc

Should they halt production?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Are you new to twitter or something? :P

The replies to the tweet from AGS surprised me. Bragging about fining a lone man on a beach was met with anger. 6 months ago that would’ve been met with thumbs up.

He’s not allowed go for a walk on a beach in his own country but no problem at all if he wanted to do it in Lanzarote.

That is totally fcuked up no matter how the lockdown lovers want to spin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Would this be the guy you are trying to play as a victim?

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/gardai-catch-driver-breaking-5km-19693680

"Cork Gardai caught the same man breaking the 5km rule at two different beaches this weekend.

Gardai from Midleton were taking part in a covid checkpoint near Garryvoe beach car park over the weekend when they spoke to a driver who had travelled over 20km without a reasonable excuse.

Gardai then spoke to the man who agreed to leave the area and go straight home after the interaction."

"The guards then continued on to Ardnahinch beach car park where they met the same driver once again.

The driver unsurprisingly received a fine for breaching covid regulations."

Maybe don't use a biased Twitter feed as a news source.

john4321 wrote: »

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/gardai-catch-driver-breaking-5km-19693680

"Cork Gardai caught the same man breaking the 5km rule at two different beaches this weekend.

Gardai from Midleton were taking part in a covid checkpoint near Garryvoe beach car park over the weekend when they spoke to a driver who had travelled over 20km without a reasonable excuse.

Gardai then spoke to the man who agreed to leave the area and go straight home after the interaction."

"The guards then continued on to Ardnahinch beach car park where they met the same driver once again.

I read that article. What’s your point exactly?

So what if he wasn’t a good little boy and went home.

The man was out walking alone FFS.

Where were the boys in blue during BLM protests? No where to be seen.

Go after the easy target then brag about it on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Who was he harming? The man was alone and going for a walk on a deserted beach.

I read that article. What’s your point exactly?

So what if he wasn’t a good little boy and went home.

The man was out walking alone FFS.

Your original post was:

"The anger towards the Gardai for fining a lone man on a beach is massive. Poor guy probably out for some fresh air or to clear his head all alone and those so called guardians fine him €100. Despicable."

After reading the article can you not see how you tried to frame this as something it wasn't?

• Advertisement

46 Long wrote: »
    Who was he harming? The man was alone and going for a walk on a deserted beach.

Never said he was harming anyone. My issue was the OP framing it as a situation that did not happen and its better to read the whole story.

Your original post was:

"The anger towards the Gardai for fining a lone man on a beach is massive. Poor guy probably out for some fresh air or to clear his head all alone and those so called guardians fine him €100. Despicable."

After reading the article can you not see how you tried to frame this as something it wasn't?

Stop deflecting from the fact a lone man walking on beach was fined.

The lack of empathy from the likes of you and a few others on here is disgusting.

You people spend your days nitpicking at posts because you’ve got nothing relevant to post.

The lack of empathy from the likes of you and a few others on here is disgusting.

You people spend your days nitpicking at posts because you’ve got nothing relevant to post.

Not a single word of your post is correct.

Lone man was not fined for walking on the beach.

Where did I lack empathy? I think my posting has been fairly balanced but please show a post where I lacked empathy.

My posts are just as relevant as anyone else on this thread. I don't spend days on this thread nitpicking like you have insinuated but again please provide examples or retract that statement.

Maybe you should stop deflecting from the fact that this guy was told by the Gardai to go home for a clear breach of the 5km limit without a valid reason and was then caught on another beach later the same day. He knew the rules, chose not to follow them and was quite correctly fined as a result. Well done to the Gardai for enforcing the rules. I applaud them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭aziz

What bugs me is have the Gardai nothing better to be doing than patrolling empty beaches

• Advertisement

If anything, we should be pleading with people to stay outdoors in large areas like beaches and parks where the virus is not really known to transmit.

It’s good for people’s mental health and immune systems, which is what we should want.

In places like Dublin in particular, it is safer for people to travel a bit further than walk around a crowded housing estate.

Unfortunately common sense is not popular among our leaders. Blanket Rules with no science behind them is.

If anything, we should be pleading with people to stay outdoors in large areas like beaches and parks where the virus is not really known to transmit.

It’s good for people’s mental health and immune systems, which is what we should want.

In places like Dublin in particular, it is safer for people to travel a bit further than walk around a crowded housing estate.

Unfortunately common sense is not popular among our leaders. Blanket Rules with no science behind them is.

I am uncomfortable with the distance rules, however the rationale is about reducing movement overall. If someone is off to visit a group of friends, indoors, 20km away, once stopped, all they need to say is they are heading to beach/park/mountain. Enforcement is impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Only in Ireland are we focusing on fines and travel restrictions when we should be focused on vaccine rollout and developing a strategy for getting shattered businesses back up and running.

Nah. It's happening in France too. Their fines are harsher though.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

C__MC wrote: »
    I here the gardai were heroic lately breaking up youths playing ball in laois and fining a buck walking on the beach cause he was out of his 5k

Country is a joke void of proper leadership

The full story about yer man on the beach - he was 20km from home and the Gardai informed him of the rules so he agreed to return home. He was discovered at another beach and fined. He was given a fair chance and didn't take it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

I'm not adhering to the 5km rule after this month.

Why wait until the end of the month? What difference will it make to you if you wait? Do you think the virus won't transmit after January?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Twitter is always full of people venting and of course the longer this goes on more people are going to get frustrated and angry. Are they going to do anything though? I doubt it. I'd say that many are pissed off but see in excess of 1000 cases a day as a problem and will ride this out till restrictions are loosened.

I know a lot here are hoping there is an uprising in the midst and will push that it's happening or soon on the way. The government wont bow to violence though. Not a hope that will work out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I wonder how many of these now criticising the Gardai have probably spent plenty of time in squad cars/courts. Hence the jumping up and down to criticise them.

Seems a prexisting hatred for law and order is linked with the "anti-restrictors". Also explains how they thought looting was a good thing for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Twitter is always full of people venting and of course the longer this goes on more people are going to get frustrated. Are they going to do anything though? I doubt it. I'd say that many are pissed off but see in excess of 1000 cases a day as a problem and will ride this out till restrictions are loosened.

I know a lot here are hoping there is an uprising in the midst and will push that it's happening or soon on the way. The government wont bow to violence though. Not a hope that will work out well.

The problem is they are going to do the switcheroo soon and start testing asymptomatic people (or healthy people as we used to call them in 2019). That's going to keep the numbers stubbornly high for a prolonged period.

The track and trace system has been show not to work here. We would be far better using the approach of the past month. If you have any symptoms assume you have COVID and contact your GP. This close contact stuff is completely confusing as well. It should be simplified and I think this is where rapid antigen testing could work. Stay home for a week and take a couple of these tests. If all negative on you go. If you get a positive contact your GP and get a PCR test to confirm. They aren't perfect but will case enough to keep numbers down.

We could have schools, gyms, nonessential retail etc open by mid Feb or the end of Feb with this approach. Dragging the arse out of this lockdown does nothing but hurt the country overall. We are over the peak, the numbers are collapsing. Hospitals are stretched but managing, which is unfortunately the model the HSE have decided to use for all it's services.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

pjohnson wrote: »
    I wonder how many of these now criticising the Gardai have probably spent plenty of time in squad cars/courts. Hence the jumping up and down to criticise them.

Seems a prexisting hatred for law and order is linked with the "anti-restrictors". Also explains how they thought looting was a good thing for business.

Isn't it great that all other crimes have been solved so they can focus their full extent on checkpoints. Drew Harris said they were struggling due to the amount of Garda out as close contacts yet there's plenty of bodies available for all these checkpoints.

Anyway, we need to have a serious conversation about how much longer these extraordinary powers given to the Garda will last. There needs to be a hard date set on these expiring and not the current model of continually rolling them over.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Despite it being well known for months that Vitamin D deficiency plays a huge role in the severity of Covid-19, there has been no acknowledgment of it or recommendation to supplement, much less an effort to provide Vitamin D to those at risk of more severe disease. So that's quite enough of this "doing all they could in tough circumstances" nonsense.

Even this one action could have reduced the hospitalisation and death rates hugely so that the very notion of a level 5 lockdown in 2021 would have been laughable.

But nah. Ignore the evidence and lock 'er up instead.

The official channels still haven't informed the public at large that they ought to be supplementing vitamin D.

Passing the buck is what it is and what it ever was.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/vitamin-d-supplement-advised-for-older-people-1.4418005%3fmode=amp

• Advertisement

Leo said July earlier on tv

Did he say it would be July until we are back at level 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

By then it will be one full year since restrictions were first put into place. Cases are touching distance from being <1000 cases daily. By early March I predict we’ll be well under 200 cases daily. We should also have a significant proportion vaccinated by then and quarantine introduced, There will be absolute war if they even try and extend for another six weeks, with all of those things considered. This farce has to end in March. One whole year of sacrifices is enough. There are many who who would only love to continue on in this way of life forever but the rest of us would like to get back to this thing called living.

Absolute batshít thing to say.

I struggle to see where an notion like that evolves from but it can't be from a decent place.

US extending restrictions on non-US citizens who have been in Ireland also highlights how other countries view Ireland with regards to the infection rates. I think that must impact policy here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What kind of idiotic nonsense is this?

People questioning the use of Garda resources are antisocial criminal types in and out of courts and squad cars? :rolleyes:

The desperation from this post is hilarious. You forgot to mention the Shinners though.

Step away from the keyboard and go back to hiding under the bed would be my suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

No mention of allowing golf courses to reopen. Appreciate it’s a minor point but nonsensical nonetheless.

I guess the virus loves to golf!!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    What kind of idiotic nonsense is this?

People questioning the use of Garda resources are antisocial criminal types in and out of courts and squad cars? :rolleyes:

The desperation from this post is hilarious. You forgot to mention the Shinners though.

Step away from the keyboard and go back to hiding under the bed would be my suggestion.

Well that certainly upset you didnt mean to get too close to the bone. Not sure where you fit Shinners in this but this may be an interesting new spin!

People who view looting and riots as good things are the people to look up to.

Penfailed wrote: »

Would you ever read your own articles?

"Some doctors believe vitamin D, by boosting the immune system, can help prevent or treat Covid-19. But the department says a study it commissioned on this issue found no evidence to support the claim."

Absolute shambles.

Boggles wrote: »
    I struggle to see where an notion like that evolves from

See the people saying those who are sceptical about lockdowns want people to die from Covid? Or the people saying anyone who criticises the guards must be a hardened criminal?

That's where. Same thing. Same mentality. Same hindrance.

Boggles wrote: »
    Absolute batshít thing to say.

I struggle to see where an notion like that evolves from but it can't be from a decent place.

It was clumsily worded. I can't see how anyone would love what we are living through. I even read an article on introverts struggling with lockdown restrictions.

I think it's more the case that most people are not gravely affected by lockdown. Emphasis on gravely. Most people are getting by, yes, income may be down, no one can shop or travel but I think most people see it as a means to an end.

There is emphasis on here of those out of work, but there are still far more in employment than out of it. A proportion of people on PUP in retail and services will return to work and I would think that is a comfort to those.

As time goes on frustrations will continue to rise, but as case numbers drop we are moving towards reopening and that will be a focus for many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭xl500

By then it will be one full year since restrictions were first put into place. Cases are touching distance from being <1000 cases daily. By early March I predict we’ll be well under 200 cases daily. We should also have a significant proportion vaccinated by then and quarantine introduced, There will be absolute war if they even try and extend for another six weeks, with all of those things considered. This farce has to end in March. One whole year of sacrifices is enough. There are many who who would only love to continue on in this way of life forever but the rest of us would like to get back to this thing called living.

You do realize the only reason cases will be low is because we locked down if we didnt the numbers now would be off the wall

Also there is no way we will have a significant proportion vaccinated by Early March

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

xl500 wrote: »
    You do realize the only reason cases will be low is because we locked down if we didnt the numbers now would be off the wall

Also there is no way we will have a significant proportion vaccinated by Early March

Agree with the above- my own personal opinion is this will drag well into 2022 - no point in having a set date in your mind the way this thing is going

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Now that the government are extending level 5 until March 5th we will see numbers in ICU drop sharply over next few weeks .
    I can most of the public sticking with these decisions until that date ...
    But after that .... ????
    It gives them more time to get the vulnerable / elderly / frontline vaccinated and after that get things open .
    I've the feeling with a lot of people that because of the time of year that this is last chance saloon with government / nphet etc .
    If it comes to springtime and we are still in level 5 the public will say " enough of this ...time for life to move on ".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Now that the government are extending level 5 until March 5th we will see numbers in ICU drop sharply over next few weeks .
    But after that .... ????
    It gives them more time to get the vulnerable / elderly / frontline vaccinated and after that get things open .
    I've the feeling with a lot of people that because of the time of year that this is last chance saloon with government / nphet etc .
    If it comes to springtime and we are still in level 5 the public will say " enough of this ...time for life to move on ".

Yep. Totally agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

But after that .... ????

Is that confirmed?

Is that confirmed?

Leaked so basically confirmed.

• Advertisement

Would you ever read your own articles?

"Some doctors believe vitamin D, by boosting the immune system, can help prevent or treat Covid-19. But the department says a study it commissioned on this issue found no evidence to support the claim."

Absolute shambles.

Old article...but it's wrong to say that the government haven't got the word out about Vitamin D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

But but but one of your buddies here is claiming that many barbers are working on the sly right now. I`m sure he will tip you off as to where they are if you think you need one before then.

told the lads i needed a haircut yesterday before i do it myself. was sent two phone numbers within about 5 minutes of barbers cutting hair, so not sure if you dont believe this stuff goes on or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well that certainly upset you didnt mean to get too close to the bone. Not sure where you fit Shinners in this but this may be an interesting new spin!

People who view looting and riots as good things are the people to look up to.

I think hiding away from "de virus" for so long is getting to you pj

I've never been in trouble with the Gardai in my life and have only been in a court once when someone ran into the side of my car and denied it.

What your posts tell me about YOU though is that you are someone who needs to be told what do do by his "betters" for validation and lashes out when something challenges that comfortable worldview - unfortunately though you live in a country with a weak ineffective and ass-covering political class and similar types in the upper levels of the civil and public service.

You want to talk about role models? I think you may need some new ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

i'm afraid young and healthy people do have to be locked down temporarily so as to minimise the spread of the virus and protect the country, it's people and the systems of the country especially the health system.
    for some, maybe even most younger people, it could be nothing at all, or just a few days of feeling unwell, but for others it can be very serious.
    being young and healthy does not prevent you from getting or suffering serious effects, it simply means you are less likely to do so, but not guaranteed to not do so.
    the same as being older makes you at higher risk and more likely to suffer serious effects and even death, but not guaranteed to do so.
    people simply isolating while the rest of us go about our business doesn't work as it keeps transmission rates high in the community and ultimately puts those isolating at much much greater risk.
    not to mention that those who are vulnerable are a mix of people, many, probably most of them are working, and with them out of the work place that puts strain on the areas where they work, meaning this is unviable.
    20000 cases a day will i'm afraid register on the health system as a proportion of them will end up having to use it.

it's tony's job to be concerned about the various numbers of cases so i'm no way bothered in relation to that specific issue.
    pubs were dieing long before covid and would continue to do so regardless and will do so after it, so covid is really only hastening what was going to happen anyway.
    plenty will reopen again but the days of 5 or 6 pubs in a village or town were always going to come to an end as it was unsustainable.
    realistically it is the parts of the economy that are working which really keep the show on the road in general, rather then what is closed.

I'm not gonna bother singling all the points in this ridiculous post one by one, repetitive rubbish as usual about how that maybe that one in a million healthy person might get sick, so let's shut down the entire world economy.. you know, just in case.

As for the laissez faire attitude to businesses closing down, that says it all really. You are on cloud cuckoo land and haven't a clue how this will effect the country and people long term.

You are talking about destroying peoples livelihoods, businesses and incomes that support families and in some cases entire areas, permanently, even more generational debt burden.

You know.. just in case.. cos I saw this report of one person that was healthy and.. blah blah blah

But hey, that pub might have closed down anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

But after that .... ????

And behave like we did at Xmas. Let's see where that will get us.

Lock the borders and we have a chance. Put the army on the border up north like we did for the foot n mouth disease. Cover all the main arteries of it. Yeah there be back roads but we can have random garda checks there as we won't need them anywhere else

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement