Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

gozunda wrote: »
    No becsuse its all bull**** sensationalised headlines with wishy washing stories about cabinet meetings. What they are implying is that information is being effectively leaked - so they can get away with claiming any old bs! There is no "direct quotes" from ministers in any of it.

Newspapers like the Indo like headlines like that because it sells.

I don't believe any of that has to be pointed out ...

Pity people can't apply the same critical thinking to scare stories of every variant being vaccine resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

IQO wrote: »

I just read this. I'm a fairly sensible person but this is just crazy. I'm "apparently" going back to work next week to sit in a classroom with 25 other families where the kids cannot social distance for 6 hours a day but I can't go for a meal with my kids and husband in a restaurant for another 3 months....it just doesn't make any sense! People are starting to lose the will at this stage. There is very little hope being given to us. We need some sort of light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hospitality closed until mid summer

People need to take to the streets and claim our lives back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Does he want people to head down to the local bridge or what, what a ludicrous statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It’s like being in an abusive relationship, the dynamics of which feel extremely punitive and coercive.
    Gaslit intro thinking the rising cases are our doing, implored to try harder to get them down meanwhile new variants are being imported week in week out through no fault of our own. So as much as we try, there is only so much we can do while a decided element of this remains completely out of public control. It’s like being tasked to remove water from a boat but the boat has holes and so water is relentlessly seeping in. Promote fear at every turn.
    Things that make life worth living being restricted and held at arms length but will be given back if we play ball and act like good boys and girls.
    Daily leaks to papers torturing us mentally and when asked what they meant by xyz they deny ever saying it, making us question our sanity.
    Not allowed to see friends or family outdoors for another 10 weeks or travel outside of 5k leaving us extremely isolated from our support system and meaningful relationships. When things go wrong just blame, deflect and minimise on your own part, while shouldering all of the blame onto us and what we didn’t do, haven’t done enough of yet and how we need to dig deeper despite most people having hit rock bottom and having no more room to dig.

I think most reasonable people could see a need for restrictions in January. But we should be looking into how to get ourselves out of this as soon as possible, not delaying it as long as we can, and in turn testing public resolve and compliance as they fail to deliver on their end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Midsummer is astonishing. The government have failed to deliver once again.

And people were telling us that the UK is going at the same pace...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Pity people can't apply the same critical thinking to scare stories of every variant being vaccine resistant.

Last night all the Irish media were headlining about 3 cases of the Brazilian variant , which has not been proved to be any more fatal than original , but it propagates Fear in an already over -anxious Irish public - Shame on the media and the Autorities in not trying to quell Fear in an already over-anxious public.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Now it's the Brazilian variant of covid in Ireland .
    Brought in by Brazilian meat factory workers by Larry Goodman to his meat factories?

Not necessarily meat factory workers. There is a huge amount of young brazilians in Dublin doing all kinds of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

How can they justify this? If the vunerable are vaccinated then how can they continue to restrict us like this?

Oh right they will say it's because of the variants, it's a great way for them to continue with restrictions. If it's because of variants then I guess the lockdown will never end because viruses constantly mutate...there will always be variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

It’s like being in an abusive relationship, the dynamics of which feel extremely punitive and coercive.
    Gaslit intro thinking the rising cases are our doing, implored to try harder to get them down meanwhile new variants are being imported week in week out through no fault of our own.
    Things that make life worth living being restricted and held at arms length but will be given back if we play ball and act like good boys and girls.
    Daily leaks to papers torturing us mentally and when asked what they meant by xyz they deny ever saying it, making us question our sanity.
    Not allowed to see friends or family outdoors for another 10 weeks or travel outside of 5k leaving us extremely isolated from our support system and meaningful relationships. When things go wrong just blame, deflect and minimise on your own part, while shouldering all of the blame onto us and what we didn’t do, haven’t done enough of yet and how we need to dig deeper despite most people having hit rock bottom and having no more room to dig.

I think most reasonable people could see a need for restrictions in January. But we should be looking into how to get ourselves out of this as soon as possible, not delaying it as long as we can, and I’m turn testing public resolve and compliance as they fail to deliver on their end.

Spot on, I'm sure RTE and the media have been out in force this morning trying to scaremonger about the Brazilian variant also - all 3 cases of it. Which vaccines still prevent 100% severe illness and death in - but you won't hear that from them. They want to give another reason to keep this lockdown and imprisonment of the population going. If there's no fight back from the Irish people over this, I'll be sorely disappointed. Fighting Irish? More like roll over, tickle our bellies with €350 per week in exchange for all our civil liberties, freedoms, social and emotional connections, and economy. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Gaslit intro thinking the rising cases are our doing, implored to try harder to get them down meanwhile new variants are being imported week in week out through no fault of our own. So as much as we try, there is only so much we can do while a decided element of this remains completely out of public control. It’s like being tasked to remove water from a boat but the boat has holes and so water is relentlessly seeping in.

I think most reasonable people could see a need for restrictions in January. But we should be looking into how to get ourselves out of this as soon as possible, not delaying it as long as we can, and in turn testing public resolve and compliance as they fail to deliver on their end.

It's true though, it is our fault, we voted for them... Not me personally but as a nation we gave the civil war parties a majority
    thebaz wrote: »
    Last night all the Irish media were headlining about 3 cases of the Brazilian variant , which has not been proved to be any more fatal than original , but it propagates Fear in an already over -anxious Irish public - Shame on the media and the Autorities in not trying to quell Fear in an already over-anxious public.

The media were only reporting on the news last night, nothing more and nothing less, would you prefer to not know about the 3 Brazilian cases?

Michael Martin ends all his tweets with HoldFirm -

Wish he would show some decisive leadership in trying to live with the virus instead of outdated cliches from 12 months ago, when we all fealt we were in this together. He really is an appaling leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From the actual body of the article - this is what the Taoiseach said. And I quote
    (journo bit)Asked about the reopening of hospitality, Mr Martin said he did not foresee that happening before the middle of the summer

(Actual quote bit) "that the public health authorities are saying is that we stick with this until end of April, then we reflect on the situation and make decisions about the months ahead," he said. 

Now I don't know about you but April is not the MIDDLE of the summer in any definition I came across. That journo needs a calendar ASAP.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Hospitality closed until mid summer

People need to take to the streets and claim our lives back

So yeah reckon we can cancel the insurrection and bring the troops back to barracks.

Its simply more bs media sensationalised reporting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Hellrazer wrote: »
    The gas thing is every virus mutates. FFS that's why the flu vaccine has to be updated every single year.

Covid will probably mutate a few times until the end of this pandemic but we cant lock the country down just because it might mutate or because of a new variant. I can almost guarantee there will be 20 + variants of this before we`re done.

We won't need to lock the country down again if we get the number of cases down.

That's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

GT89 wrote: »
    Does anyone actually follow those rules I regularly meet my friends and so do so do most people I know

Never underestimate the slavish subservience to authority of the majority of Irish people.

It's how the Catholic Church proposed here for so long.

It's would almost be funny to observe the way people follow what some bureaucrat on the telly tells them to do. If Holohan told everyone to hop on one leg, half the population would do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

you cannot leave your house to drive to a neighbours house 20km away to sit in their garden and talk about sh1t for a few hours and then go home. threat level very very low.

you can fly half away across the world to our country to work in a meat factory at minimum pay from a country we could not legally fly to.

the moral of the story is we are all in it together until there is a threat to the many employers who import cheap labour. then its a case that the economy needs these migrants , and that outweighs any concerns about people entering here from covid black spots.
    yet we are all told the economy must come second to health concerns of the nation.

the government are morally bankrupt.
    stop complying with its edicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It is insane.

You know when someone has been completely indoctrinated when they can tell you all about the mutations or variants but can't understand the seasonality factor...or all the other hidden costs of this ludicrous unscientific Government policy!!!

I haven't seen madness like this since the moving statues phenomenon back in the 80s! This hysteria is State/Media led.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

It's true though, it is our fault, we voted for them... Not me personally but as a nation we gave the civil war parties a majority

The media were only reporting on the news last night, nothing more and nothing less, would you prefer to not know about the 3 Brazilian cases?

The issue is there's no-one else. The Opposition want more severe lockdowns and Zero Covid. Also have stated they would never 'Go against NPHET' - an advisory body upon which the Government should not answer to, but who should answer to them.

Never underestimate the slavish subservience to authority of the majority of Irish people.

unlike all the other law breaking countries? :rolleyes:

Is is really worthy of the main headline ?? - 3 cases - 12 months ago yes , right now its newsworthy but, as a headline I see it used as a way of instiilling more Fear into an already over anxious public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

House party went well last night, no gardai involved and everyone home safely.

Neagra wrote: »
    you cannot leave your house to drive to a neighbours house 20km away to sit in their garden and talk about sh1t for a few hours and then go home. threat level very very low.

you can fly half away across the world to our country to work in a meat factory at minimum pay from a country we could not legally fly to..

You don't really need anyone to explain the difference between a casual chat to 'talk about sh1t' and keeping the food supply chain running?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

The issue is there's no-one else. The Opposition want more severe lockdowns and Zero Covid. Also have stated they would never 'Go against NPHET' - an advisory body upon which the Government should not answer to, but who should answer to them.

Perhaps the majority of our politicians, representing the majority of our population are following the best course of action?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Variants, variants, variants. That's all you ever here out if MM since Christmas. Has there not been thousands of variants so far? Are no other countries worried about variants or something since they're all planning to open up from their already lighter restrictions in March if not already? Does anyone think we got any benifit from being the slowest to open up last summer in Europe? Or from going into level 5 lockdown in October when our rate was lower than most of Europe?

I'm finished with the restrictions at this stage having followed them close enough up to now. I'll be travelling where I want and meeting who I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭Archeron

Michael Martin ends all his tweets with HoldFirm -

Wish he would show some decisive leadership in trying to live with the virus instead of outdated cliches from 12 months ago, when we all fealt we were in this together. He really is an appaling leader.

I honestly reckon he will go down in history as the worst Taoiseach ever. I would call him a dribbling spineless lizard but that's not fair to lizards. Watching him being interviewed on the news is like watching an unprepared student trying to stumble through their French Oral exam and trying to fill the time with absolute drivel so there no time for the hard questions. At a time we need a good leader, we got a jellyfish with a necktie.

Quote: "No consideration will be given to opening hospitality until mid-summer, Taoiseach Mícheál Martin has said"

Quote: "Asked about the reopening of hospitality, Mr Martin said he did not foresee that happening before the middle of the summer"

RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

MM now saying no possibility of outdoor dining until mid-summer.

What a bizarre and evil state of affairs.

Shame on you if you support this wickedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

RobitTV wrote: »
    Quote: "No consideration will be given to opening hospitality until mid-summer, Taoiseach Mícheál Martin has said"

Quote: "Asked about the reopening of hospitality, Mr Martin said he did not foresee that happening before the middle of the summer"

RTE

When is mid summer? Middle of June?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Graham wrote: »
    You don't really need anyone to explain the difference between a casual chat to 'talk about sh1t' and keeping the food supply chain running?

Yes by bringing in people from abroad in a "pandemic", paying them below minimum wage, living in cramped conditions and having covid outbreaks left right and centre.

• Advertisement

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    When is mid summer? Middle of June?

24th of June to the 1st of July, around that timeframe is usually midsummer in official terms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement