Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

hynesie08 wrote: »
    And what he said is April. It's in writing and everything.

And the same goes for midsummer. It's in writing too. We could argue over this day and night.

Why mention midsummer in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MIDLANDSMAN

Will need to wait until at least after the August Bank Holiday so probably September to be safe.

Don't forget the schools would normally be going back then, so the Muppets will wait for a few weeks just in case the numbers increase.....blah blah blah, seasonality, new variants, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

This is where we are at now in relation to travel and this Brazilian variant.

“The Deputy Chief Medical Officer has appealed to anyone who has recently travelled from Brazil to phone any GP or any GP out-of-hours service to arrange a free Covid-19 test.”

We are a joke of a country. Honestly. This pandemic has shown how poor our leadership is. Utter clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

This is the one time that I'll be willing to go along with the notion that summer runs from May until the end of July in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

That's not midsummer before reopening... that's midsummer before it's even considered. So you know what that means: Autumn will be just around the corner. Can't take any chances. I don't mean to doom monger, but you should all see by now that 2021 is effectively a write-off. There is no intention to do anything but "defeat the virus", as MM said the other day.

Defeat a virus? You cannot "defeat" a virus. Insanity.

He'll probably leave them to open until Autumn again when the respiratory viruses start to spread.
    Have they not looked at Europe which had Hospitality opened in late spring and Summer last year and caused no major spread?
    The time for outdoor dining and drinking is when the weather improves and generally in the summer months even indoor hospitality is much safer.

I totally despair at all the dithering and not taking examples from other countries when it doesn't suit the narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

If this mid summer crap turns out to happen it better be the last time they close hospitality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Leftwaffe wrote: »

“The Deputy Chief Medical Officer has appealed to anyone who has recently travelled from Brazil to phone any GP or any GP out-of-hours service to arrange a free Covid-19 test.”

We are a joke of a country. Honestly. This pandemic has shown how poor outlets leadership is. Utter clowns.

Ireland is a relatively young country. Outside of the war for independence we've never really needed leadership. The EU & the US has looked after us to a certain extent. Our "leaders" to this point have been gombeens

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

TheDoctor wrote: »
    July/August probably.

You can cancel the insurrection - the RTE article is clickbait

What MM actually was quoted as saying in that article was that

"(t)hat the public health authorities are saying is that we stick with this until end of April, then we reflect on the situation and make decisions about the months ahead,"

The article makes the claim what MM said was the "middle of summer".

APRIL as was detailed in MMs quoted answer is NOT the middle of the summer as everyone but RTE apparently knows :rolleyes:

Lets go over the key words and phrases here:

- No consideration will be given (meaning no consideration)
    - Mr Martin said he did not foresee that happening before the middle of the summer
    - Asked about the reopening of hospitality

He was directly asked about this by the reporter and he gave these responses:
    RobitTV wrote: »
    Quote: "No consideration will be given to opening hospitality until mid-summer, Taoiseach Mícheál Martin has said"

Quote: "Asked about the reopening of hospitality, Mr Martin said he did not foresee that happening before the middle of the summer"

RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

While earlier modelling from the RIVM, produced on the basis of sampling, suggested that the ‘British variant’ represented 60% of the 3.6 million infections on February 5, the latest estimates from this week suggest that on February 12, it represented two-thirds of the total 3.4 million cases. Chantal Reusken, a virologist at the RIVM, reportedly told the AD: ‘The most recent figures are still provisional, but it is true that this can’t really be called much of an increase. We are currently investigating how this is possible.

Read more at DutchNews.nl:

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/02/are-coronavirus-variants-spreading-less-quickly-than-feared/

So where is the evidence that the British variant spreads more quickly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

Just wondering is it ok to travel beyond 5 km to visit a grave? I'd imagine a lot of people could use it as an excuse to travel all over the place but that's all I intend doing. I haven't been beyond 5km in I don't know how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

pawdee wrote: »
    Just wondering is it ok to travel beyond 5 km to visit a grave? I'd imagine a lot of people could use it as an excuse to travel all over the place but that's all I intend doing. I haven't been beyond 5km in I don't know how long.

Yes it is and there’s no clause that says you need to have known the person

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Leftwaffe wrote: »

We are a joke of a country. Honestly. This pandemic has shown how poor our leadership is. Utter clowns.

we are in a never-ending level 5 lockdown , terrified of variants , why did we not lockdown flights from Brazil if ther mutation is so dangerous ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I see it's ok for the Gardai to travel abroad for dental work

https://twitter.com/padraig_reilly/status/1363066382120849409

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

RobitTV wrote: »
    And the same goes for midsummer. It's in writing too. We could argue over this day and night.

Why mention midsummer in the first place?

MMs quote does not actually mention the "middle of summer". He states April

The journalist bizarrely believes that April is Midsummer. God knows why!

This is pure gaslighting.

If there was a noticeable difference in outcomes between countries that locked down and countries that didn't lockdown, then you'd have a point...

But the opposite is happening....so you don't have a leg to stand on!!!

What countries didn't lockdown?
    Most of Europe did, Australia, NZ, the US....... none of them had a leg to stand on? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Just watching some videos of an Irish vlogger in Minsk, Belarus. No lockdown there. Pubs and restaurants all operating as normal. Their hosptials haven't been overwhelmed.

As of today, 20/2/21: 276,990 total cases and 1,903 deaths. Population of Belarus is 9.4 million.

It's funny how Europe's last dictatorship is now offering it's citizens more freedom than the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,084 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

thebaz wrote: »
    we are in a never-ending level 5 lockdown , terrified of variants , why did we not lockdown flights from Brazil if ther mutation is so dangerous ?

Do we have flights from Brazil landing in Ireland? My guess is that they came via Portugal, Spain or Heathrow and connected to Dublin

This is exactly why we need mandatory quarantine for all entrants

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Augeo wrote: »
    What countries didn't lockdown?
    Most of Europe did, Australia, NZ, the US....... none of them had a leg to stand on? lol

So you know full well not all countries locked down then. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

gozunda wrote: »
    MMs quote does not actually mention the "middle of summer". He states April

The journalist bizarrely believes that April is Midsummer. God knows why!

The first quote does, and it's in quotation marks though the journalist may have placed a non-quote in quotation marks.

Nobody believes that mid-summer is in April. Nor does anyone think that September is in mid-winter, and when the leaves fall from the trees in autumn people don't go around saying "I see the Spring has begun".

• Advertisement

Journal.ie article about Michael Martin and his interview to RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

growleaves wrote: »
    The first quote does, and it's in quotation marks though the journalist may have placed a non-quote in quotation marks.

Nobody believes that mid-summer is in April. Nor does anyone think that September is in mid-winter, and when the leaves fall from the trees in autumn people don't go around saying "I see the Spring has begun".

MM also said he doesn’t see personal services reopening until the end of quarter 2, so June. And I think we can expect hospitality to be the last to open so it stands to reason he was referring to July

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Lundstram wrote: »
    Just watching some videos of an Irish vlogger in Minsk, Belarus. No lockdown there. Pubs and restaurants all operating as normal. Their hosptials haven't been overwhelmed.

As of today, 20/2/21: 276,990 total cases and 1,903 deaths. Population of Belarus is 9.4 million.

It's funny how Europe's last dictatorship is now offering it's citizens more freedom than the rest of Europe.

That is what is frightening.

The PM suggested that the IMF offered his state money to lock his people down, which he rejected you can choose for yourself if you want to believe him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Their next 2 weeks are crucial.

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3543

"Citizens began practising self-isolation early on"

Paddy isn't really into that to be fair.
    In Dec folk could go to restaurants so every restaurant in the country was jammed full of folk....... it was lunacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Their next 2 weeks are crucial.

Our next two years are crucial.

MM also said he doesn’t see personal services reopening until the end of quarter 2, so June. And I think we can expect hospitality to be the last to open so it stands to reason he was referring to July

He's some donkey all the same. I thought with all his years in politics he'd be way cleverer but to see these comment I have to think Leo is laughing his ass off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The Financial Times talking down the vaccine - it "will not be the silver bullet [it] might have seemed in December".

That was from yesterday's edition.

Journal.ie

“We don’t foresee that [reopening pubs] before the middle of the summer,” said Martin.

“What the public health authorities are saying is that we stick with this until end of April, then we reflect on the situation and make decisions about the months ahead.”

Summer is June / July / August

Neither the RTE reporter or Michael Martin suggested that summer was in April. They are planning to make decisions in April for the summer.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3543

"Citizens began practising self-isolation early on"

Paddy isn't really into that to be fair.
    In Dec folk could go to restaurants so every restaurant in the country was jammed full of folk....... it was lunacy

We are and we aren't, if you excuse the phrase. If this was a virus people were mortally afraid of then we would isolate. At this stage I think everyone in the country knows some one who has had the virus and is now fine (personally I know 6 people including some very close relatives). So we weigh the risks and move on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement