Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Can anyone here honestly see much sense in having level 5 for so long? The cases were low last summer and now vaccines. What is the logic behind this?

We have 3 crisis ongoing.

One, media, this industry is in crisis and has been for some time, they have poured fuel on the fire creating an hysteria we have never witnessed before.

Two, Leadership, the timing of this has been a disaster for us, weak leaders everywhere so our elected officials have handed the fate of this state over to health bureaucrats (in one of the most dysfunctional health systems in the EU) who have an issue with the leader Tony Houlihan's completely blinkered and ego driven personality, the last type of person you'd want to have power right now.

Three, the virus itself, which it is way milder than was expected last year thankfully, restrictions for us here in Ireland would be necessary.

But between the three, we have created a concoction of horrific decision making process, like a funnel of fear that keeps repeating itself and driving/feeding itself...we are in a state of paralysis, with devastating consequences.

All countries are in a similar situation to varying degrees, plus there is clearly and international element involved that in time I'm sure will be revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

gozunda wrote: »
    Absolutely:

The article is ****e

The headline was misleading

April is not the "middle of summer"

No one knows when the hospitality sector will start to open - it could very well be the end of April or any month after that.

Oh and don't believe the headlines ;)

Home - Topics - Society & Culture - Conspiracy Theories

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Leo is getting around that on a technicality. Technically MM did not specifically say level 5 until May but he did say heavy restrictions until then. Seeing as he said no personal services until late Q2; ie June, we can take it that we will be in at least level 4 until May/June. And sure level 4 is basically level 5 with a fake moustache and glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

gozunda wrote: »
    Absolutely:

The article is ****e

The headline was misleading

April is not the "middle of summer"

No one knows when the hospitality sector will start to open - it could very well be the end of April or any month after that.

Oh and don't always believe the headlines - read the article first ;)

If Micheal wants to stop being misrepresented by journalists, stop giving ****ing daily interviews to them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

TheDoctor wrote: »

There's been multiple dominant strains in Ireland since this began. Were they all more contagious/deadly than the last.

Its funny we never heard about variants in the news until we had hope from the vaccine.

It's funny 'haha' or it's funny I need to buy more tin foil?

• Advertisement

Leo is getting around that on a technicality. Technically MM did not specifically say level 5 until May but he did say heavy restrictions until then. Seeing as he said no personal services until late Q2; ie June, we can take it that we will be in at least level 4 until May/June. And sure level 4 is basically level 5 with a fake moustache and glasses

:pac: Very good.

You are forgetting we may getting new levels next week.

Hopefully colors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

This tweet sums it up and what Michael Martin is saying. The fact of the matter is the reason why the restrictions are in place is because people support them and want them to stay in place. If the people were against the restrictions the restrictions would have to go as the political will would be there to get rid of the restrictions. If more supported a removal of the restrictions the restrictions would end.

But no people are too willing to believe everything the media tells them. People really should get on to their local politicians and demand the restrictions are lifted then and only then we can get out of this nightmare we've been in for the last year.
    https://twitter.com/TraceyOMahony81/status/1362815466507501576?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Irish Times and RTÉ reporting on front page that MM said no re-opening of hospitality before mid-summer.

Is he being misquoted across the entire national media? If so he'd better come out with a clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Yes, clear communication from the government, exactly when we need it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

I've been banned for 2 months on the hop and I come back and it's still the same old story.

Not even half way through the strictest lockdown in Europe. Farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 MIDLANDSMAN

I think MM is pissed that he didn't get to go on his little jolly on St. Patrick's Day to Washington. When he announced recently that he wasn't going, I said to my wife that we should wait and see how he will get revenge on the people for objecting to his trip. I'm thinking that we are seeing some of that spite coming out now.

In others words, he said to himself "if I can't go, by God I'll show those plebs, I'll keep them in lockdown for months"

GT89 wrote: »
    This tweet sums it up and what Michael Martin is saying. The fact of the matter is the reason why the restrictions are in place is because people support them and want them to stay in place. If the people were against the restrictions the restrictions would have to go as the political will would be there to get rid of the restrictions. If more supported a removal of the restrictions the restrictions would end.

But no people are too willing to believe everything the media tells them. People really should get on to their local politicians and demand the restrictions are lifted then and only then we can get out of this nightmare we've been in for the last.

He thinks he is giving the people what they want while the media batter us with hysteria...he should have sacked Houlihan last October when he deliberately embarrassed the Government and his fellow colleagues on Nphet.

Absolutely spineless!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

GT89 wrote: »

But no people are too willing to believe everything the media tells them. People really should get on to their local politicians and demand the restrictions are lifted then and only then we can get out of this nightmare we've been in for the last.

So you quoted a tweet with a question he wasn't asked which then uses an out-of-context reply that doesn't even quote the full reply to even give context to the reply.

I often wonder do people who use these tactics not understand that anyone with an ounce of intelligence just rolls the eyes when they see this stuff but I guess that isn't the target demographic.

I doubt we’ll see hospitality this year to be honest.

We are already getting the mid summer sound bites. It will be the same as last year. Come mid July we’ll be back to having to prioritise the schools returning.

Then we’ll be back to having to be cautious of the winter wave.

2021 is a write off and will be worse than 2020.
    Hard to believe we have several approved vaccines....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

growleaves wrote: »
    Irish Times and RTÉ reporting on front page that MM said no re-opening of hospitality before mid-summer.

Is he being misquoted across the entire national media? If so he'd better come out with a clarification.

Don't waste your time :D some users won't accept these headlines.

Must be fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Boggles wrote: »
    Apart from the fact is has become the dominant strain.

How do you think it did that?

The dominant strain of a virus tends to change over time. It's why the strains targeted by the flu vaccine change every year. It could be the case that the dominant strain is more dangerous, but it's not a given.

The assumption that every new strain is going to be more transmissible, more deadly, more resistant to vaccines, or all of the above is starting to get on my nerves. It's a possibility that should be considered, but it shouldn't be the default assumption.

Before anyone has a meltdown over the word flu, I am not in any way comparing the severity of flu and covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Boggles wrote: »
    Apart from the fact is has become the dominant strain.

How do you think it did that?

No evidence at all. Even the Dutch authorities are saying so.

The panic is based on a UK gov claim that it " might be".

https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/aandeel-britse-variant-in-nederland-kleiner-dan-eerder-voorspeld~aabb17cd/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dutchnews.nl%2Fnews%2F2021%2F02%2Fare-coronavirus-variants-spreading-less-quickly-than-feared%2F

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

"New variants.. not a silver bullet... Nordic neighbours.. selfish idiots.." etc., etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would be interested to know what people , where and how many are up for it . Not a single person I know , family , neighbours , friends is up for another 9 weeks of L 5
    Everyone I know are visiting in gardens and walking with friends . Outdoors where its safer than huddling indoors for another 9 weeks should be the message now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Clickbait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Media are angling that vaccines are useless and variants
    are unbreakable and are running wild that's what the angle is from the government and media. Don't believe the hype

The assumption that every new strain is going to be more transmissible, more deadly, more resistant to vaccines, or all of the above is starting to get on my nerves. It's a possibility that should be considered, but it shouldn't be the default assumption.

You are just inventing scenarios to be outraged about now.

If a new strain becomes the dominant strain in a relatively short space of time is it ?

A. Less transmittable

B. More transmissible

This is pretty basic stuff you have decided to have an argument over.

We are already getting the mid summer sound bites. It will be the same as last year. Come mid July we’ll be back to having to prioritise the schools returning.

I'm trying to resist the notion that if we ever want to get back to normal, it will require mass demonstrations, because clearly the state has no intention of a return to normal...if they did, they would have acted to prevent us from the variants they now use to justify extending the severe lockdowns...but it's getting harder and harder to resist that notion!!

Maybe the purpose of this was to prevent normal life, ever ask yourself that!! How long to do we continue to ignore that question? It's something I sincerely hope I am way off on, I try to seek information that will prevent me thinking this way and will continue to!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Anther benefit in Australia is much less death, I think they had 909 cases, which is a lot but remember that's less than a quarter of our deaths and five times our population

People in their 80s stopped dying in Australia last year?

Wow, that's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

growleaves wrote: »

Why Mid-summer I wonder. Is it based on numbers vaccinated or current case numbers.
    If it’s based on current case numbers then Level 5 is failing. If it’s based on vaccinations then just come out and say it. Deliver the message in a clear concise manner. He is supposed to be the leader of this country. He is not good enough for the job. FF would want to get rid of him before the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Yet all the projections show covid numbers vlose to zero across Europe by summer. Nordic countries saying that they will be fully vaccinated by June. Faucci in US predicting a return to normality by third quarter.

Can our government messaging not be more positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,889 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Pearse Doherty just said on Radio1 that 10% of Brazilians arriving are testing positive for C19
    Anyone know where he got the figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So 1,900 people arrived from Brazil in Dublin Airport during the month of January alone all with no one checking up to see if they were isolating.

In September members of the Brazilian community had a rave in Meath.

And now we have the Brazilian variant.

I for one am shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

I'm on the verge of losing it.
    Sick of ****ing Meehole talking ****e and Nphet just stringing us all along based on what exactly?
    Sick of the media twisting every remotely hopeful thing into a negative.

Is there even any sort of coherent plan? Is there any reason not to jump off a ****ing Cliff!

• Advertisement

From your link.
    Based on the new figures, can you conclude that the British variant is less contagious than previously feared?

“That seems premature. Nor is it the image of our colleagues abroad, with whom we consult on a weekly basis. There, like us, they still see that the R-value of the British variant is consistently 0.3 or 0.4 higher. In the Netherlands, specific research is also taking place in Amsterdam, with PCR tests that recognize the variant and sequencing. In that region, the spread of the mutant is still strongly continuing. In addition, you should also bear in mind that the virus cannot grow as fast as a result of strict measures.

We also see it in our own data with more close contacts testing positive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement