Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Boggles wrote: »
    You are just inventing scenarios to be outraged about now.

If a new strain becomes the dominant strain in a relatively short space of time is it ?

A. Less transmittable

B. More transmissible

This is pretty basic stuff you have decided to have an argument over.

Boggles you have been told numerous times that the dominant strain changed multiple times over the last year and that we had thousand of new variants.

Would you not just go and educate yourself at least whether I'm talking sh1te or whether this is true instead of just repeating your simple line over and over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Why haven't they been properly checking on the Brazilian arrivals?

What a total farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's crazy...the mutations that hit us at the exact same time when our collective immune systems are at their weakest are the most transmittable mutations...what were the odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

zell12 wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty just said on Radio1 that 10% of Brazilians arriving are testing positive for C19
    Anyone know where he got the figures?

From up his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

RobitTV wrote: »

What a total farce.

Because that would have been cheaper than locking us down for 9 more weeks and we are made of cash!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Boggles you have been told numerous times that the dominant strain changed multiple times over the last year and that we had thousand of new variants.

Would you not just go and educate yourself at least whether I'm talking sh1te or whether this is true instead of just repeating your simple line over and over again?

Were all "thousands" of variants able to be linked to surges, or just a few of them?. The media is focused on a handful, certainly since Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Okay then, list them.

This strain is currently about 90% of new infections AFAIK.

What other strains became that dominant that fast in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I would be interested to know what people , where and how many are up for it . Not a single person I know , family , neighbours , friends is up for another 9 weeks of L 5
    Everyone I know are visiting in gardens and walking with friends . Outdoors where its safer than huddling indoors for another 9 weeks should be the message now

The only person I know who is delighted not to be working is a girl I know who works in a beauty salon. She was planning on taking unpaid leave this year anyway and so is happy to be getting €350 a week. She has her mortgage already paid and lives alone and so bubbles with her parents in another county. She has has broken many of the restrictions and has someone new over most weekends. So she’s happy out but I’d wager the woman who actually owns the salon is not. So she’s not actually complying but if you asked her if she wanted this to continue she would say yes, so she didn’t have to go back to work.
    Everyone else I know is completely fed up and will soon start doing their own thing, in one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

What a total farce.

Would the fact they isolated them in the airport not imply they have been properly checking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Okay then, list them.

This strain is currently about 90% of new infections AFAIK.

What other strains became that dominant that fast in Ireland?

I dont know their names. They dont have catchy ones. They're called R126/8 and stuff like that. Its been going on since the start.

I'm not going to spoon feed it to you. Took me maybe 20 minutes to half an hour to find proper science statements on all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,889 ✭✭✭✭zell12

So 1,900 people arrived from Brazil in Dublin Airport during the month of January alone all with no one checking up to see if they were isolating. ...
    Tony Holohan said more than 1,900 passengers from Brazil have been contacted and urged to seek a coronavirus test since January.
    Only 604 of these travellers have so far sought tests with 52 testing positive for coronavirus.
    27 Jan https://www.independent.ie/news/nearly-one-in-ten-passengers-tested-for-covid-19-after-arriving-from-brazil-have-been-given-positive-results-40019947.html
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I dont know their names. They dont have catchy ones. They're called R126/8 and stuff like that. Its been going on since the start.

I'm not going to spoon feed it to you. Took me maybe 20 minutes to half an hour to find proper science statements on all that.

Don't let this man waste your time with his confused-face emojis and seeming inability to understand anything. Bang him on Ignore you'll be glad you did.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Would the fact they isolated them in the airport not imply they have been properly checking?

Well I very much hope and pray that is the case. Considering 10% of them are returning to Ireland positive. All measures should be taken to protect the staff that have to look after them and make sure they don't spread this variant within the local community.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

So 1,900 people arrived from Brazil in Dublin Airport during the month of January alone all with no one checking up to see if they were isolating.

In September members of the Brazilian community had a rave in Meath.

And now we have the Brazilian variant.

I for one am shocked.

Where did you get the 1900 figure? It is a complete nonsense that the government are still working out a plan for quarantine.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You are just inventing scenarios to be outraged about now.

If a new strain becomes the dominant strain in a relatively short space of time is it ?

A. Less transmittable

B. More transmissible

This is pretty basic stuff you have decided to have an argument over.

What am I inventing exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,889 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Where did you get the 1900 figure? It is a complete nonsense that the government are still working out a plan for quarantine.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116348277&postcount=9734

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

growleaves wrote: »
    Don't let this man waste your time with his confused-face emojis and seeming inability to understand anything. Bang him on Ignore you'll be glad you did.

You still annoyed because I pulled you up on promoting anti vax rallies?

Ignore it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I've gone from laughing at and being embarrassed for the protesters last summer to now where if there was a protest organised for Dublin I'd go. I can't believe the government have made me side with Gemma.

The government have shot themselves in the foot with the restrictions foreva narrative they’ve been putting out.

The result is more traffic on the roads the last few days.

I love it. Someone hand MM a mic. He causes more damage every time he opens his trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

this pandemic really has brought out the sad pathetic losers. i remember in the uk last year someone called the police because they saw a girls grandparents hugging her at the door. the worst thing is they think they're the good guys. they're the type of person whod have ratted people out to the nazis for sheltering jews. it might sound a bit extreme but i don't think it's a big leap

• Advertisement

You still annoyed because I pulled you up on promoting anti vax rallies?

Ignore it is.

I think people are bored of you inventing a narrative that people are inventing narratives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

Klonker wrote: »
    I've gone from laughing at and being embarrassed for the protesters last summer to now where if there was a protest organised for Dublin I'd go. I can't believe the government have made me side with Gemma.

This. The government's response has radicalised me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The government have shot themselves in the foot with the restrictions foreva narrative they’ve been putting out.

The result is more traffic on the roads the last few days.

I love it. Someone hand MM a mic. He causes more damage every time he opens his trap.

He has to be the most useless public speaker I've ever heard.

He has blatantly argued with himself over the last few days.

Something seriously wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

People in their 80s stopped dying in Australia last year?

Wow, that's amazing.

no its just their death cert said something other than covid and that's all that matters to some

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Klonker wrote: »

Gemma is in a world of her own and at the time she went to court I disagreed with what she was doing. I felt restrictions were needed then. But now, a year on.. I’d be willing to take to the streets over this. It’s just a shame she was the one to lay the groundwork for any opposition to this because anyone who feels *somewhat* similar is now lumped in with the fringe lunatics, when all we want is some normality back. I don’t deny the virus exists and am willing to keep up mask wearing and social distance etc, but at this stage something has got to give

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Hellrazer wrote: »

He's a dangerous combination of condescending and clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Home - Topics - Society & Culture - Conspiracy Theories

Yeah I quite agree - most of those bs media headlines belong in the Conspiracy forum at best. The Bin is the other best option imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hellrazer wrote: »

He is such a ditherer - no leadership - just trying to placate everybody - ther might be a vote he could lose - he just says what might go down well on Twitter - as he dithers around saying and doing nothing. Zezo leadership, not even questioning NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

zell12 wrote: »
    :mad:

If true, that’s a ****ing disgrace.

This government needs to get their finger out of their holes. I’ve been fairly supportive of measures put in place until now, but to now be told we’re going to be stuck with level 5 until May is an absolute joke. Why not do like every country who has the virus under control is doing and make people isolate in hotels at their own cost for 2 weeks of they want to travel here? Doesn’t cost the government anything putting them up, and if they really need to be here they’ll accept the 2 week quarantine.

As it stands, there are no consequences for travelling here and doing whatever the **** your want as soon as you arrive, ignoring the ‘advice’, so we’ll just suffer on while new variants of this thing arrive every couple of months and spread like wildfire.

We’ve been in lockdown now for 6 weeks and the case numbers are still pretty much as high every day as they were at any point in 2020. It’s been an abject failure. Either lock down properly for a few weeks with proper enforcement or just do away with it at this point, this half-assed enforcement doesn’t work.

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah I quite agree - most of those bs media headlines belong in the Conspiracy forum at best. The Bin is the other best option imho.

You can lodge a formal complaint if you so wish - Complaints Procedure - Press Council of Ireland

"A complaint can be made about an article that has been published in the previous three months or journalistic behaviour that has taken place in the last three months"

Who can make a complaint? - "Any person or organisation that can show that, in the opinion of the Press Ombudsman, they are personally affected by the material that was published or the journalistic behaviour that took place"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement