Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

There has been lots of cars on the roads for a while. I posted about it a good while back when people said we were all being locked up and so many were out of work. I reasoned they can't all be doing the weekly shop at 9am.

You can make the leap to suddenly people have decided to do their own thing in significant numbers, but I live in a city centre and it has always been busy through any lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

paw patrol wrote: »
    he is really the worst , i'd rather Bertie and his dodgy dealings than this ineptitude.

a career politician with years at the top playing the smoking ban card for the past 20years. He stands for nothing but ineptitude and his craven desire for power.

I'm certainly not fan of leo but I can't wait till this 2 years deal is up and leo takes over.
    Hopefully FF will knife Martin in the back then

Varadkar is a disgrace, that people are looking forward to him being back in power, tells you a lot... he is everything that is wrong with irish politics...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

He's a dangerous combination of condescending and clueless.

Fianna Fails last ever taoiseach I'd say

I mean he bumbles more than s bee collecting nectar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Heading to my nieces 16th later this evening.

A meal and drinks with family and friends.

It's nice to know others who aren't paralysed with fear and are at least attempting some form of return to normality.

The only thing which gets us out of this nonsense is large scale flouting of restrictions by the population.

Time for people to start stepping up.

• Advertisement

Look, these polls are a joke. Please put down the question, are you prepared to be far worse off over the coming yeats, to keep ovid figures down now? That's the reality, it would be a resounding NO. The population in general are too stupid to see the picture... they cant see a few meters down the road that's on them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

fullstop wrote: »
    If true, that’s a ****ing disgrace.

This government needs to get their finger out of their holes. I’ve been fairly supportive of measures put in place until now, but to now be told we’re going to be stuck with level 5 until May is an absolute joke. Why not do like every country who has the virus under control is doing and make people isolate in hotels at their own cost for 2 weeks of they want to travel here? Doesn’t cost the government anything putting them up, and if they really need to be here they’ll accept the 2 week quarantine.

As it stands, there are no consequences for travelling here and doing whatever the **** your want as soon as you arrive, ignoring the ‘advice’, so we’ll just suffer on while new variants of this thing arrive every couple of months and spread like wildfire.

We’ve been in lockdown now for 6 weeks and the case numbers are still pretty much as high every day as they were at any point in 2020. It’s been an abject failure. Either lock down properly for a few weeks with proper enforcement or just do away with it at this point, this half-assed enforcement doesn’t work.

Its ok we haven't
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40230062.html

As far as I can see the reason for the continued level 5 is by reason of us having had the distinction of having the highest infection rate in the world in January when hospitals were near overrun. We're still climbing down from that ****efest. The rate of reduction is currently at between 2% - 4% with May being on target for a reduction down to approx 100 cases.

Trouble is we now have different interests variously advocating for No restrictions at all / I'll do what I like - all the way to wanting lots more restrictions - to lets all go out and start an insurrection. Its hard to keep up tbf.

A good example of a very harsh ongoing lockdown / restrictions is Germany. They didn't get Christmas off but they did keep a lid on rising infections. Though I reckon most people here would lose their ****e if thst was suggested here

It's nice to know others who aren't paralysed with fear and are at least attempting some form of return to normality.

The only thing which gets us out of this nonsense is large scale flouting of restrictions by the population.

I am telling you, there wont be large scale flouting. Go do what you have too.enjoy it. We are a very subservient weak nation, at this stage, its about making the best possible of the situation, to hell with their guidelines, do what you feel is right...

Be good boys and girls and you will be rewarded , we were good. What do we get? Europes overall harshest lockdown over the past year....

Financially those politicians are going to be head wrecked for years over this .. it's fun and games now in comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

Witcher wrote: »

Hard to fathom these polls when there is no logic to the government's response.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ceadaoin. wrote: »
      North and south Dakota have extremely similar population densities, one is 10 people per square mile, the other is 11. Florida has a higher density than California! What you're saying just isn't true. You're trying to twist facts to make it seem like restrictions made any difference.

Also, North Dakota didn't "lockdown ". They brought in a mask mandate and capacity limits to bars etc, the latter of which have now been loosened. Again with the twisting of facts. Despite this they still had the exact same results as lockdown and mask free South dakota. Not sure how you conclude that they work in that case? Also, California has a similar number of deaths per capita as Florida. Again, how does that show lockdowns prevent deaths?

it shows lock downs prevent deaths as the countries which implement lock downs have less deaths and better outcomes.
      only 1 country has had a ridiculous outcome dispite lock down and that was the uk, that happening due to incompetents.
      https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/no-meeting-outdoors-or-travel-further-than-5km-until-may-under-new-plan-40111982.html

Another leak instead of politicians coming out and giving their plan to the population directly. It is saying no lifting of the 5km limit until May? This limit should be the first thing lifted now to allow people travel to the beach, mountains, etc as the weather improves - where they’re not near anyone else but will do their mental health the world of good. National parks like Glendalough just need to go ticketed for access and Gardai presence.

these are going to be lifted as the weather improves.
      weather in march and april can be absolutely rubbish.
      SnuggyBear wrote: »
      They are out of their mind if they think people will stick to that until May

if they don't then fines will increase and restrictions will be extended.
      either way, they will not get what they want until it's possible to deliver it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭BTownB

Idbatterim wrote: »
      I am telling you, there wont be large scale flouting. Go do what you have too.enjoy it. We are a very subservient weak nation, at this stage, its about making the best possible of the situation, to hell with their guidelines, do what you feel is right...

Be good boys and girls and you will be rewarded , we were good. What do we get? Europes overall harshest lockdown over the past year....

Financially those politicians are going to be head wrecked for years over this .. it's fun and games now in comparison

Instead of privately bending the rules, we need to publicly challenge them.

People are not voicing their opposition to these ridiculous rules and that needs to change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

TheDoctor wrote: »

There's been multiple dominant strains in Ireland since this began. Were they all more contagious/deadly than the last.

Its funny we never heard about variants in the news until we had hope from the vaccine.

Exactly. The Italian variant has swept across unnoticed. It obviously did not have any agenda supporting the vaccine as there was none in sight at the time.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Hellrazer wrote: »
      And heres something I posted previously.There were 100k deaths predicted and I agree that AT THE TIME we weren't sure about how effective the virus was at killing people.

However this is something I worked out last October and honestly looking back on it my modelling back then is as close to the figures we have now.
      https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114966301&postcount=5523

So if you look purely at the figures that currently sit at 4109 deaths then the death rate is around 0.53% in over 65s - I was bang on with that one.

92% of the 4109 deaths are in the over 65s and we have 700k over 65s in the country - that's 3739 deaths in this age group - Again back in October I was almost spot on.

For McConkey to have been correct we would have to have a death rate of 2% and for us to reach his number of 100k deaths every single person in the country would have had to been tested positive for covid.
      The actual death rate as a percentage of the total population is only 0.08%
      ie 4109 as a percentage of 5 million.

So if you look at where we are now and all of our over 65s and vulnerable people are vaccinated then we should have almost zero deaths when they are all vaccinated.

We may still have high case numbers but this virus kills old people and vulnerable people so we vaccinate them and get the country open up again by May and open up fully. There is no reason to keep us locked down.

By the way Im purely looking at deaths and not case numbers as a percentage of the population.

What Im saying is that this scare mongering is keeping us locked down. With a death rate of 0.08% of the entire population and a death rate of 0.5% in our over 65s then there is no reason why we cant just vaccinate the over 65s and open up.

We don't even need to vaccinate the other groups - just go hell for leather with everyone over 65. That would have the biggest effect on supressing this virus.

there is no scare mongering and no scare mongering is keeping us locked down.
      there are facts, and it is facts that are keeping us locked down.
      we absolutely need to vaccinate the majority of people, otherwise herd immunity will not be achieved and we will be back exactly where we are again.
      simply vaccinating the over 65s and throwing open the doors isn't viable as it is not just over 65s who are at risk and the hospitals can still become over whelmed.
      His prediction was based on hot air, you can't predict 120,000 deaths and be out by 116,000 deaths...taking him seriously at this stage is just silly.

This nonsense has to be challenged every time ...

Lockdowns are not science based, there is no science underpinning the most inhuman, economic and socially destructive policies ever witnessed, absolutely none.

These have never been used in the manner and scale they are now, so no respected scientist or medical professional would be in a position to have even a positive position on lockdowns until all the data required to have a legitimate opinion is available to them....none of them even considered lockdowns like this as a method to control a virus as far as I can see.

You'd need to have all the related data like economic cost, all related health implications (missed cancer diagnosis for example) which won't be available for some time yet to be in a position to even consider whether lockdowns are worth the damage they cause.

Di Santos in Florida brought in Harvard Experts in September last and he followed their advice as the science has been established ...he has been proven right...

Lockdowns are NOT science based....you've been sold a pup if you believe they are, you don't need to be an expert to see you just need to open your eyes.

his prediction was based on the information available at the time, including from places like italy which were being hit hard.
      he can very easily predict something and be out when his predictions were based on an uncontrolled situation and the country is now controlling the spread.
      lock downs are science based, a mix of behaviourel and other sciences which are used to come up with the necessary measures and deal with the minority who may not comply, they are only a small bit economically damaging, and that damage will be repaired, as i said the main parts that contribute the most to the economy are still operational.
      Di Santos hasn't been proven right.
      we already have enough to show why these policies we are persuing need to be so and that they are ultimately less damaging over all, and limit over all damage.
      it's people such as yourself being sold a pup by alternative fact pushers who are interested in causing much much greater damage for their own political ends.
      This is pure gaslighting.

If there was a noticeable difference in outcomes between countries that locked down and countries that didn't lockdown, then you'd have a point...

But the opposite is happening....so you don't have a leg to stand on!!!

there is a noticible difference in outcomes between countries that have and haven't locked down, with those which did lock down doing better over all, apart from the uk.
      walus wrote: »
      No, it will not. I’d love to know who came up with this lockdown-until-vaccine franchise. If we had the governments of 195 countries thinking on their own we would see wide range of approaches being implemented, and possibly a couple of those strategies proven successful already. Instead we have the same strategy implemented by the vast majority of countries which only really worked in 2 of them. That only shows that this is not a universal way to deal with a pandemic.

Why on earth, having now the access to vaccines, are we not selectively isolate the vulnerable and those who care for them and their families, while the rest of us go back to living as we know it, is beyond my understanding. Surely we could do that quite effectively for a period that is required to get that group vaccinated. Also, it would not cost the 250m per week as we currently spend on this prolonged lockdown approach.
      But then again if you sunk 30bn into this, another 1bn per month is only 3% more... it is cheap.

governments are perfectly capable of thinking on their own, and the fact they have all come up with more or less the same strategy shows that, well, it was what is necessary.
      you already know why we don't, dispite having access to vaccines, selectively isolate the vulnerable and those who care for them and their families, while the rest of us go back to living as we know it.
      it's unviable, it's not going to work, it puts those vulnerable at huge risk, and it would cost us a hell of a lot more then what we are paying as the hospitals still will likely end up even more overwhelmed because there is a ridiculous amount of virus in the community.

Exactly. The Italian variant has swept across unnoticed. It obviously did not have any agenda supporting the vaccine as there was none in sight at the time.

Is this the one reported in the media only three days ago?

Is this the one reported in the media only three days ago?

Don’t think so as I read about it in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The reason for level 5 restrictions until summer is case numbers in January. We're putting restrictions in place for past case numbers now. Christ.

Don’t think so as I read about it in December.

It seems only the ones that have any significant impact are reported on in any depth.

it really, really doesn't get you out of restrictions.
      not a chance are government going to give into you and those with your viewpoint.
      Idbatterim wrote: »

the europes overall harshest lockdown nonsense has been debunked, it's just not true no matter how much you want it to be.
      what we have had has been easyish lock downs but for a little longer then most of europe, who by the way have ended up having to go into much much harder and harsher lock downs in the end each time then we will ever ever have.
      we have actually had it, well, not easy by any means, but i would rather be in ireland and in a lock down then say germany or the netherlands, great countries as they both are.

It seems only the ones that have any significant impact are reported on in any depth.

Definitely, especially those variants that help with vaccine market traction.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

the europes overall harshest lockdown nonsense has been debunked, it's just not true no matter how much you want it to be.

It certainly has not been debunked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The reason for level 5 restrictions until summer is case numbers in January. We're putting restrictions in place for past case numbers now. Christ.

The vast majority of these 'cases' wouldn't even know they had Covid except for a test.

€50bn added to our national debt and thousands of businesses sacrificed because perfectly healthy hypochondriacs ran off to their GP for a test.

Fcuking Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Anyone heading out tonight? My son is home from the house party last night and me and a few buddies are planning a few nights for the 6 nations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭gw80

The vast majority of these 'cases' wouldn't even know they had Covid except for a test.

€50bn added to our national debt and thousands of businesses sacrificed because perfectly healthy hypochondriacs ran off to their GP for a test.

Fcuking Clowns.
      I agree, these will be the same clowns in a few years will be telling people they are " covid survivor's", when the reality is that they had a dose of the sniffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I read a while ago on my local Facebook forum about some sort of protest or security barrier being erected outside Stephen Donnellys house. The post and replies seem to be gone now. Anyone hear anything?

Fcuking Clowns.

Imagine if we weren't in lockdown and these clowns were interacting with lots of people every day when hospitals and ICUs were at or near capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

JMNolan wrote: »
      Anyone heading out tonight? My son is home from the house party last night and me and a few buddies are planning a few nights for the 6 nations
      tumblr_nkrcrr5h5z1u0k6deo2_250.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 25,273 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I read a while ago on my local Facebook forum about some sort of protest or security barrier being erected outside Stephen Donnellys house.
      Aye, it is to keep him away from the public and microphones.

JMNolan wrote: »
      It certainly has not been debunked.

it has.
      i understand that doesn't suit some people's agenda/viewpoint but it still has.

Fcuking Clowns.

nope, a few billion added to our debt because we had to control a serious virus which would have caused serious issues to our country as a whole had we not done so.
      had we not controlled the virus the amount added to the debt would probably be a couple of hundred billion and that's likely a best case.
      the perfectly healthy responsible people did the right thing in going for a test so as to insure they would not spread covid to members of their own family who may be vulnerable, or others.
      it's over, you lost, your alternative facts are not believed by the majority.

• Advertisement

I read a while ago on my local Facebook forum about some sort of protest or security barrier being erected outside Stephen Donnellys house. The post and replies seem to be gone now. Anyone hear anything?

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/other/security-fence-put-up-at-stephen-donnelly-e2-80-99s-house-following-despicable-e2-80-98incidents-e2-80-99/ar-BB1dRqUs

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement