Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Looks like case numbers have stopped dropping. Typically happens when a country has spent way too long in lockdown and people are beyond fatigued.

All the available evidence and advise from the WHO suggest that long term lockdown is not a good strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    If it takes 6 months to get numbers it's pretty crap

Well it looks like it only takes a few weeks to make it pretty crap!!

It’s a highly transmissible human to human airborne virus. So lockdown and the vaccine are all we’ve got. Few more months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It takes quite the piece of mental gymnastics to say lockdown isn’t working given what happened in December / Christmas. Stunning really.

No it doesn't it's science, a winter surge is when viral infections shoot up in the population and drop over a period of a few weeks, it typically happens during what is known as flu season which is typically between Oct-Mid March..it's just science!!!

It happens every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

It takes quite the piece of mental gymnastics to say lockdown isn’t working given what happened in December / Christmas. Stunning really.

the numbers came down but not enough to unlock us from our homes so therefore level 5 not working

if level 5 worked we would be at zero but we aint so therefore not working

or lets say ultimate objective of level 5 - to save the health care system? health care system still broken and will be broken covid or no covid - so level 5 not working

not that stunning really

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If a slight easing of restrictions for 3 weeks leads to a half year and possibly longer lockdown, then we might as well concede defeat to the virus.

We’d have let a virus with a tiny death rate destroy humanity.

it wasn't a slight easing of restrictions as you know, if it actually had of been then perhapse we wouldn't have had the ridiculous amount of cases we did, all be it we would probably have had a good increase in cases.
    nope we have no need to admit defeat to the virus, we are controlling it successfully and numbers are slowly falling.
    the virus has a very high death rate if uncontrolled as we know.

It's like looking out at the horizon and thinking the earth is clearly flat...."we opened up in Dec therefore we can't open up again"

The only alternative to opening up slightly at Christmas, was to keep us in level 5 from mid Oct to May....f**king mental!!!

we can and will open up again, it just won't be as early as perhapse it could and would have been had we not opened up for christmas.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭uli84

Sick of this, that idiotic 5 km rule is beyond belief. In the meantime my friend in Poland drove 500 km to stay at a hotel in the mountains, sending me pics and driving me mad :D Living with Covid is possible but certainly not here it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Pints? Where?

Not Sure where exactly but Fine Gael seem to be advertising a Rave on Paddy's day

https://twitter.com/FineGael/status/1362779403453952003

I have now read this post a dozen times. I don't even know how I would report the content of this post but it makes me feel very uneasy and I have to say I think this thread in parts is bordering on dangerous with this kind of talk along with misinformation that is going unchecked.

I find your immediate reflex to report, silence and search for grievance, abhorrent.

That aside:

Protesting against race-based police brutality = good.
    Pursuing your personal, extreme ideology under the guise of protesting against race-based police brutality in a way that can jeopardise the message of the protests overall = bad.

Protesting against lockdowns that you consider to be inhumane overreach = good.
    Pursuing your personal, extreme ideology under the guise of protesting against lockdowns in a way that can jeopardise the message of the protests overall = bad.

The intent of the few doing the "bad" doesn't negate the good intentions of those doing the "good".

I hope that clears that up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Looks like case numbers have stopped dropping. Typically happens when a country has spent way too long in lockdown and people are beyond fatigued.

All the available evidence and advise from the WHO suggest that long term lockdown is not a good strategy.

7 day case numbers and positivity % are both down. Cases have not "stopped dropping"

uli84 wrote: »
    Sick of this, that idiotic 5 km rule is beyond belief. In the meantime my friend in Poland drove 500 km to stay at a hotel in the mountains, sending me pics and driving me mad :D

my envy is bright green

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I'm guessing it's because what our case numbers are now and the length of time it is predicted it will take to see them substantially drop and the subsequent drop in hospital admissions. Christmas is still fresh in people's minds and how quickly things can escalate. Not a hope we'd be rushing to open up knowing that.

I don't think anyone wants to see a repeat of Christmas but I don't see how it's relevant to what we do this summer. Our cases plummeted last summer and only grew slowly after the easing of restrictions despite us having quite a lot open. That to me suggests a seasonal aspect and I see no reason to assume the same won't happen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No it doesn't it's science, a winter surge is when viral infections shoot up in the population and drop over a period of a few weeks, it typically happens during what is known as flu season which is typically between Oct-Mid March..it's just science!!!

It happens every year.

Yes, yes I understand conspiracy theories are all the rage on this thread but covid has been doing fine in warm weather where it gets the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Been following this thread since last April. Thank you to all the frequent posters who kept some sanity in an insane time. I finally signed up, utterly fed up with the government and their hairbrained lockdowns.

I will no longer be following any of their nasty regulations - tonight I will be meeting friends and family. This has gone on long enough, there was a justification for this craziness back in March and April - and since then with more information it's very clear that there is no longer a justification. Disobedience starts today.

Yes, yes I understand conspiracy theories are all the rage on this thread but covid has been doing fine in warm weather where it gets the chance.

**sniggers*** Winter Surges are now a conspiracy theory ***sniggers***

Winter surges happen when our collective immune systems are at their weakest, allowing a sharp rise in infections....that is science.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Man, you should really stop using that word. I don’t think you know what it means.

Man, you should really stop using that word. I don’t think you know what it means.

apparently conspiracy theories are any opinion that the poster disagrees with :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

**sniggers*** Winter Surges are now a conspiracy theory ***sniggers***

Winter surges happen when our collective immune systems are at their weakest, allowing a sharp rise in infections....that is science.

You reckon cases leapt up in December because of 'winter surges'.

I don't think even you actually believe that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭decreds

Must watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOjDL2FX0_8

" Life in 2021 imitates the brilliant Peter Fleischmann's 1979 dystopian masterpiece, Der Hamburger Krankheit, in which Fleischmann examines a scenario where, purely for political and material gain, sociopathic scientists and politicians exploit a bizarre emerging illness to terrorize an otherwise unwitting, neurotic and naively trusting citizenry with a narrative, manufactured absent any basis in science or fact, that the illness is borne of a lethal viral pathogen, causing a global pandemic which requires an increasingly nonsensical and fascistic public health response."

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    apparently conspiracy theories are any opinion that the poster disagrees with :confused:

** cough **

decreds wrote: »
    Must watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOjDL2FX0_8

" Life in 2021 imitates the brilliant Peter Fleischmann's 1979 dystopian masterpiece, Der Hamburger Krankheit, in which Fleischmann examines a scenario where, purely for political and material gain, sociopathic scientists and politicians exploit a bizarre emerging illness to terrorize an otherwise unwitting, neurotic and naively trusting citizenry with a narrative, manufactured absent any basis in science or fact, that the illness is borne of a lethal viral pathogen, causing a global pandemic which requires an increasingly nonsensical and fascistic public health response."

Graham wrote: »
    You reckon cases leapt up in December because of 'winter surges'.

I don't think even you actually believe that.

I believe in science.

I believe that we get a winter surge every year.

I believe we get that because our immune systems are much weaker in Wintertime and susceptible to viral infections.

We didn't get a summer surge last year.
    The UK famously had packed beaches last summer, no surge.

I believe this year we were getting a winter surge, this year it was covid and not influenza, there was no avoiding that apart from a total lockdown.

I believe we will get another winter surge this winter, it will be Covid.

I believe Covid is endemic in the population

I believe in science

Why don't you?

• Advertisement

We didn't get a summer surge last year.

I hope we won't get one this year either if we get the number of cases under control.

That'll work whatever the weather.

Do people realise that the illness peaked all over Europe in December regardless of restrictions?

Or do they really believe it’s because travel restrictions were eased for a week?

Come on man,

I'm posting a film that is shockingly similar to our current life in 2021. I do not endorse tin foil hat theories but to dismiss people who questions this illogical situation as a conspiracy theorist is lazy and lacks critical thinking.

I think we can all agree that we should safeguard those vulnerable in case the disease is as deadly to them as they say. Once those over 65/70 are vaccinated everything should open up. Anyone who disagrees has an agenda or hasn't thought about the damage these lock downs are doing to the economy, people's livelihoods, mental and spiritual well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I think most people aren't expecting or looking for restrictions to be lifted right now (apart from schools and construction that should open ASAP) but it's the government's planned reopening that's the issue. A lot of people are already at breaking point and hearing there won't be any major easing until May is demoralising and hard to take. If we were giving information like we need hospitals numbers at X or icu at Y before we begin lifting restrictions it would be easier take. But hearing MM just say "but the variants" again and again is not helping to explain it to us, especially since there has been thousands of variants so far and probably thousands more. Even case numbers won't be a good measure as we go forward as when the must vulnerable are vaccinated we will be able to accept higher daily cases as less and less will need hospitalisation, ICU or die.

** cough **

Come on man,

I'm posting a film that is shockingly similar to our current life in 2021. I do not endorse tin foil hat theories but to dismiss people who questions this illogical situation as a conspiracy theorist is lazy and lacks critical thinking.

I think we can all agree that we should safeguard those vulnerable in case the disease is as deadly to them as they say. Once those over 65/70 are vaccinated everything should open up. Anyone who disagrees has an agenda or hasn't thought about the damage these lock downs are doing to the economy, people's livelihoods, mental and spiritual well being.

Link to film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOjDL2FX0_8

Life in 2021 imitates the brilliant Peter Fleischmann's 1979 dystopian masterpiece, Der Hamburger Krankheit, in which Fleischmann examines a scenario where, purely for political and material gain, sociopathic scientists and politicians exploit a bizarre emerging illness to terrorize an otherwise unwitting, neurotic and naively trusting citizenry with a narrative, manufactured absent any basis in science or fact, that the illness is borne of a lethal viral pathogen, causing a global pandemic which requires an increasingly nonsensical and fascistic public health response.

Do people realise that the illness peaked all over Europe in December regardless of restrictions?

You reckon the virus has worked out how to travel unassisted or do you think it's being moved around by people?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hellrazer wrote: »
    It will have the exact same effect as a lockdown!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQU6e-r06Z4

Ah feck it!!

I was just about to post that :pac:

Is there a group Darwin award nomination online form anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I believe Covid is endemic in the population

I believe in science

Science doesn't believe you.

Can't believe how many people are brain washed.

Sub-conscious programming is such an effective technique.

• Advertisement

I hope we won't get one this year either if we get the number of cases under control.

That'll work whatever the weather.

Even if we did get a surge between late April and Mid Sept...a chance so remote you couldn't legitimately suggest it with a straight face, our immune systems would be in much better shape to take it, we wouldn't require any where near the same medical treatment.

That is just science.

Being in level 5 in Dec/Jan and still in May is off the wall crazy...that is anti science.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement