Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

VonLuck wrote: »
    A shame you didn't get a chance to support the Irish tourist industry. I mean that's one of the big issues people have with lockdown, right?

A shame most of those Irish shops were still closed so we couldn't support them eve if we wanted to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

My summer wasnt bleak. I went to France for 2 weeks in Aug. Best decision i've made within last 10 months.

In hindsight I am very disappointed I didnt go anywhere between 1 July and 1 Aug... with everything that happened so far and no end in sight, i shouldve went to atleast 1 more place. Portugal woudlve been nice. El Portugal

But I will admit. I also watched plenty of movies. I ran like 4 times outdoors i think, and then just gave up on it. my gf also cut my hair. tons of events :cool:

Grrr. I'm alright Jac. Fúck everyone else. Yeah? Is that how it works?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1353845018491039745?s=20

Listen to this absolute FEWEL!!!!! "You treat every covid case like a murder" , This is what mass hysteria and constant fear mongering does ...it's no wonder some people are afraid to walk on the street.

You mean they haven't been doing that already? Making us feel like prisoners in our own homes for the last 11 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1353845018491039745?s=20

Listen to this absolute FEWEL!!!!! "You treat every covid case like a murder" , This is what mass hysteria and constant fear mongering does ...it's no wonder some people are afraid to walk on the street.

90% of Irish people want hotel quarantine?

doesnt quote survey.

Typical "expert" lol.

Have a listen to Prof John Lee talking to Niall Boylan, just picked it off his twitter page.

He make a number of excellent points, but one that stuck out was how we are counting Covid deaths, ordinarily, if someone has cancer and catches the flu and passes away we count that as a cancer death, now we are counting it as a Covid death...

All 357,000 excess deaths in the countries participating in Euromomo?

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/

growleaves wrote: »
    Ben Bernanke has said that personal austerity and centralised corporate power will characterise the post-covid economy.

Corporate consolidation across multiple industries is happening due to these lockdowns as big companies buy up assets from ruined SMEs. Amazon has been allowed to almost singlehandedly destroy retail with the blessing of the global establishment.

Once we are all under the corporate thumb expect even more downward pressure on wages. We're on the road to pauperism and irrevocable state-corporatist control with fewer free and financially independent people than before.

I have absolutely no idea what that post ^^^ has got to do with my post that you quoted. Sounds a bit Great Reset though...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Youve asked for it. :mad::mad::mad: HOW DARE YOU

You really think that having a good time while millions of people live like hermits -is a fair idea?

You need to stay at home, eat dominos, exercise outdoors, watch netflix. Until Leo or Dr Tony say otherwise.

on a more serious note - ofcourse bloody go. I hear Portugal has made these WFH zones with all the amenities and great great views of the sea + weather, minimum stay 1 month.

One of the guys I work with (Irish lad, irish company) has moved to Austria and is working from home there. Having a great time and will probably stay there medium/long term. Compary we work for don't care. he may as well be logged in from Austria as from Dublin, makes no odds.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    You mean they haven't been doing that already? Making us feel like prisoners in our own homes for the last 11 months?

I'm sorry you've felt like a prisoner in your own home for the last eleven months.

Penfailed wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea what that post ^^^ has got to do with my post that you quoted. Sounds a bit Great Reset though...

Its a great post though :pac:

PLCs buying up liquidating SME's assets is barely great reset though lols its called reality Pen. You dont actually think that liquidating SME's assets go to their employees or general public do you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

One of the guys I work with (Irish lad, irish company) has moved to Austria and is working from home there. Having a great time and will probably stay there medium/long term. Compary we work for don't care. he may as well be logged in from Austria as from Dublin, makes no odds.

brilliant - sounds fab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

doesnt quote survey.

Typical "expert" lol.

Yeah I want to know who they are polling there - is it a text poll on the late late or Joe Duffy?

I was in Vienna there in 2019. Top top class. I highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

doesnt quote survey.

Typical "expert" lol.

The survey was literally done on the show, the results of which were shown as an on-screen graphic minutes earlier.

"centralised corporate power will characterise the post-covid economy"

Gee. You would think this might have been the plan all along or something.

Its a great post though :pac:

PLCs buying up liquidating SME's assets is barely great reset though lols its called reality Pen. You dont actually think that liquidating SME's assets go to their employees or general public do you :)

He's edited out the quoted post. Still, it's got nothing to do with the relaxation of restrictions so I'm out of that discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

I was in Vienna there in 2019. Top top class. I highly recommend.

was supposed to go last april when the route from Shannon opened, but that was a year ago when I was young and full of hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Penfailed wrote: »
    He's edited out the quoted post. Still, it's got nothing to do with the relaxation of restrictions so I'm out of that discussion.

Yes because what you were talking about got me thinking about something else and the then connection between the two things didn't seem obvious, except to me.

The economic effects of the covid restrictions seem to be part of a managed collapse in the standard of living. Bernanke and the World Economic Forum are increasingly suggesting that ordinary people will be poorer and less free.

So that is one more reason, a quite significant one, to call for a relaxation of restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

My company are allowing this also! Many non national employees have gone home for the duration and they have no issue with any of us locals heading off ourselves!

Yes because what you were talking about got me thinking about something else and the then connection between the two things didn't seem obvious, except to me.

The economic effects of the covid restrictions seem to be part of a managed collapse in the standard of living. Bernanke and the World Economic Forum are increasingly suggesting that ordinary people will be poorer and less free.

So that is one more reason, a quite significant one, to call for a relaxation of restrictions.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

"centralised corporate power will characterise the post-covid economy"

Gee. You would think this might have been the plan all along or something.

Conspiracy theory forum is that way>>>>>>

Hmm. he has so much more freedom there
    At the moment, a lockdown is in effect in Austria. Tourism and leisure travel are not possible.

The following measures are currently in effect:

Measures that are in effect at least until 7 February include:

Only essential shops are open. Shoppers must wear FFP2 masks.
    You are required to stay at home and only leave the house for essential reasons.
    Museums are closed.
    A landing ban for flights from the UK, South Africa, and Brazil is in effect.
    Measures that are in effect at least until the end of February include:

Hotels are closed to leisure travellers/tourists; only essential travel (e.g. for business that cannot be delayed) is permitted.
    Restaurants and bars can only offer takeout/delivery services. Dining in is not permitted. FFP2 masks are required when picking up food.
    You are required to keep a minimum distance of 2 m (6.5 ft) to people from other households.
    FFP2 masks are required on public transport.
    Events such as concerts, plays, exhibitions etc. are cancelled.
    Theatres, cinemas, gyms, pools, zoos, amusement parks, and most other culture and leisure facilities are closed.
    Cable cars and ski areas have been allowed to reopen. Hotels and restaurants are however still closed and entry regulations (quarantine requirement - see below) are in effect. De facto, skiing is only possible for locals.

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information

If someone in power says "the standard of living will decrease" then it is a fact that they are presiding over a managed reduction in the standard of living. Their policies have caused it, including their decision to make the pandemic the single global priority.

I didn't say that this was a *deliberate* plan or conspiracy, you have intuited that part yourself.

Very good point. lets face it when retail shops were going bankrupt back in the summer last year we were told here by few posters that those businesses were on their way out even before covid. and that it was normal occurrence and nothing to be looked at.

Now that you see hundreds of restaurants, pubs, small shops liquidating, can you really be so deluded to say that those were also on the way out before covid? Take a walk down the main street in your town, as long as its within 5 kms :pac: and look around.

The longer restrictions go on for, the less you ll have to look at.

There's a Great Reset (WEF) thread on the go already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Funny our next lockdown is lasting until March 5th apparently to mirror the North

Easter Monday is 32 days later so not doubt that's the next extension

You might see some retail open after Easter

Now we have other bank holidays in May and June

Tony & NPHET won't want any hospitality open for Bank Holidays so it will be interesting to see the government trying to justify keeping thins shut until June 8th at the earliest

Couldn't have anything open before bank holidays just like last year where the only bank holiday we had hospitality open for was August

• Advertisement

If someone in power says "the standard of living will decrease" then it is a fact that they are presiding over a managed reduction in the standard of living. Their policies have caused it, including their decision to make the pandemic the single global priority.

I didn't say that this was a *deliberate* plan or conspiracy, you have intuited that part yourself.

Thats the reflex nowadays.

if any1 says anything bad about lockdown or lockdown consequences, either a "gemmaroid" phrase thrown, or conspiracy theory tin foil hat or the classic "what would be your proposal??"

Last is the most ironic as cost benefit analysis of lockdown has not been presented to the Irish public, yet lockdown supporters are eager to say "yeah its bad but what could be worse. whats your proposal?". without even knowing the factual costs of lockdowns to date.

if any1 says anything bad about lockdown or lockdown consequences, either a "gemmaroid" phrase thrown, or conspiracy theory tin foil hat or the classic "what would be your proposal??"

Last is the most ironic as cost benefit analysis of lockdown has not been presented to the Irish public, yet lockdown supporters are eager to say "yeah its bad but what could be worse. whats your proposal?". without even knowing the factual costs of lockdowns to date.

If there was anything other than conspiracy's being put forward a reasonable debate may break out

If there was anything other than conspiracy's being put forward a reasonable debate may break out

Now you are just being contrary.

If Bernanke thinks covid restrictions will ultimately lead people to becoming poorer and having less economic freedom that is very significant, and you don't have to try to debate it away - you could consider the implications of it instead.

Personally I think people should be more suspicious of debt and more reluctant to take it on, since repayment is predicated on stability. We are not living in a stable world if never-before tried economic shutdowns can be brought in out of nowhere.

Do you have a link to cost benefit analysis of a lockdown, produced by Irish govt?

If not - how will you debate?

And more importantly, are you concerned such analysis has not been done to date?

• Advertisement

Personally I think people should be more suspicious of debt and more reluctant to take it on, since repayment is predicated on stability. We are not living in a stable world if never-before tried economic shutdowns can be brought in out of nowhere.

Its all short to medium term thinking though.

I think someone in US politics, cant exactly recall who, said "it doesnt matter if we borrow a lot or little. In the short term there wont be any pain. In the long term we ll all be dead!" or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Ben Bernanke has said that personal austerity and centralised corporate power will characterise the post-covid economy.

Corporate consolidation across multiple industries is happening due to these lockdowns as big companies buy up assets from ruined SMEs. Amazon has been allowed to almost singlehandedly destroy retail with the blessing of the global establishment.

Once we are all under the corporate thumb expect even more downward pressure on wages. We're on the road to pauperism and irrevocable state-corporatist control with fewer free and financially independent people than before.

The bull**** thing is you have people telling you to give it over because this doesn't matter somehow in their heads. It does matter. Life will go on after covid and the very real economic consequences and societal shift will be apparent. We are on the precipice of some huge huge changes. History repeats itself. Out years of relative peace in the west may not remain for much longer. We are dealing with a ticking time bomb here that has been ticking slowly since 2008.

How much inequality can people put up with? Eventually something will trigger. You deprive people of a future; of agency in their lives then the consequences will be severe.

Its all short to medium term thinking though.

I think someone in US politics, cant exactly recall who, said "it doesnt matter if we borrow a lot or little. In the short term there wont be any pain. In the long term we ll all be dead!" or something along those lines.

Keynes said that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I thought Keynes meant we can leave the debt to future generations. By that stage, economic growth will have reached a point whereby people won't even notice it. We'll be dead and it won't be our problem. We have to deal with the problems of our times.

doesnt quote survey.

Typical "expert" lol.

"Hilary has a 98% chance of victory" we all know how that turned out. Alot of the polls are easily rigged to get the result you want. Though I'm sure there are people content to keep the lockdowns going on forever.

"Hilary has a 98% chance of victory" we all know how that turned out. Alot of the polls are easily rigged to get the result you want. Though I'm sure there are people content to keep the lockdowns going on forever.

Maybe thats a bit of exaggeration tbh.

Where I live, tons of people are walking daily. old. pregnant. young. Like hundreds... unreal

20 + children play on d playground, climbing all over the place.

I ve stopped following covid news a long time ago. My 2nd best decision over the last 10 months.

I will tune back in though once a cost benefit analysis of Irish lockdown is published by the government. Then there will actually be something factual to look at. Rather than silly articles from politicians flip flopping on every single issue in the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It is mad that no light is being shone on the massive cost of all of this...it does make you think.

Varadkar told us last Oct (as a reason not to go into level 5) that we simply couldn't afford it....we will have been in level 5 at least for 3 and a half months by the time restrictions are relaxed since then.

Has he ever been pressured by journalists about this?

We live in a time where you really have to focus on what we are not being told as best you can...and take in as little of what we are being told, because way too many things don't add up!

I saw some advice offered earlier in the thread, save money fast, which ordinarily would be sage advice....but now I am not so sure, we are printing money in a very reckless manner!

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Funny our next lockdown is lasting until March 5th apparently to mirror the North

Easter Monday is 32 days later so not doubt that's the next extension

You might see some retail open after Easter

Now we have other bank holidays in May and June

Tony & NPHET won't want any hospitality open for Bank Holidays so it will be interesting to see the government trying to justify keeping thins shut until June 8th at the earliest

Couldn't have anything open before bank holidays just like last year where the only bank holiday we had hospitality open for was August

I don't care at this stage because if its safe for Michael to fly to DC to meet Biden on St. Patrick's Day then it will be safe for me to fly to the States in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Conspiracy theory forum is that way>>>>>>

It is the poor, the young and the unskilled workers who have been sacrificed by the response to Covid. A response that has been designed and presided over by a bunch of well-remunerated, middle-aged bureaucrats who have suffered very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Shirley Micheal Martin is not going over stateside after converting St Patricks Day parade to an online one, MM and JB can have a zoom Paddy gathering...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Lockdown 3 is a two tier lockdown, for for those in power and another for the rest...

Very good point. lets face it when retail shops were going bankrupt back in the summer last year we were told here by few posters that those businesses were on their way out even before covid. and that it was normal occurrence and nothing to be looked at.

Now that you see hundreds of restaurants, pubs, small shops liquidating, can you really be so deluded to say that those were also on the way out before covid? Take a walk down the main street in your town, as long as its within 5 kms :pac: and look around.

The longer restrictions go on for, the less you ll have to look at.

Believe it or not, the pro restrictions poster End of the Road said exactly that last night.

He said the whole pub industry was dying anyways and Covid will just hasten it.

No doubt when the real recession starts they’ll be saying it would have happened without Covid anyways. Forcing business to close for a year had no impact...

Believe it or not, the pro restrictions poster End of the Road said exactly that last night.

He said the whole pub industry was dying anyways and Covid will just hasten it.

No doubt when the real recession starts they’ll be saying it would have happened without Covid anyways. Forcing business to close for a year had no impact...

Ugh. Awkward.

Mweh. at least I made the right decision not to read last nights posts. I do find that sometimes, in this thread anyways, the later it is in the day the crazier the posts are.

I remember Noxx kept insisting that "people should be afraid" always towards the evening time. ahh good old days :)

pottokblue wrote: »
    Shirley Micheal Martin is not going over stateside after converting St Patricks Day parade to an online one, MM and JB can have a zoom Paddy gathering...

You can bet he booked his flights once he cancelled St. Patrick's day here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You can bet he booked his flights once he cancelled St. Patrick's day here.

Hell be fined €500 if he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Gael23 wrote: »
    Hell be fined €500 if he does

He probably can afford it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    He probably can afford it

He would have the nerve to expense it to the state too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It is the poor, the young and the unskilled workers who have been sacrificed by the response to Covid. A response that has been designed and presided over by a bunch of well-remunerated, middle-aged bureaucrats who have suffered very little.

That's an unfortunate result, not planned one. It's the nature of the pandemic. People who are in direct contact with the public were always going to be impacted in order to reduce contacts.

You make it sound like this is some sort of masterplan by the wealthy to inflict suffering upon the poorer in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

VonLuck wrote: »
    That's an unfortunate result, not planned one. It's the nature of the pandemic. People who are in direct contact with the public were always going to be impacted in order to reduce contacts.

No it’s not an unfortunate result.

It’s a conscious decision to sacrifice one group of citizens in order to prolong the life of another group.

That’s what’s happened here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭VonLuck

No it’s not an unfortunate result.

It’s a conscious decision to sacrifice one group of citizens in order to prolong the life of another group.

That’s what’s happened here

Not just one group. It's all of society. If ICU goes beyond capacity it won't just be the elderly who may die unnecessarily.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement