Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VIII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

This is just all too much now. Micheál wouldn’t even answer when a journalist asked him to give people some hope and positivity. It’s just hard to see what’s the point now. There’s only so much we can do collectively without feeling like our efforts are being made a mockery of. I can’t believe there’s already talk of a restricted Christmas 2021. This will never end

they spoke of a restricted christmas? can u send me a link? omgggggg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Lundstram wrote: »
    Yep. Sure haven’t they been getting €20 for every test referral for months now. That’s basically a phone call stating your symptoms then they decide if you need a test. €20 for a 5 minute phone call.

Crazy.

This saving lives rhetoric I keep hearing is rather lucrative for doctors it seems

growleaves wrote: »
    There were one or two posters who said "Its only skipping Christmas for one year." They've already been proven wrong.

Where was this mentioned?

Hopefully things like this will make the penny drop with people slower to see what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Our heroes in the HSE doing a fine job with the vaccines. Strap in folks, this sh1t is not ending anytime soon. Not in Paddyland anyway.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1354123216885850115?s=21

It's in Meath Lundstram, believe it or not the Vaccines were put in a standard chest freezer with bags of ice. Unbelievable incompetence

(BH) I'm sure it will be in the media come tomorrow

This saving lives rhetoric I keep hearing is rather lucrative for doctors it seems

Some benefitting significantly from this lockdown and have no desire for it to end. A few of them participating on these threads with the usual refrain of "there's no other alternative lads, do what you're told". I'd like to dish them out a healthy serving of humble pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

How did 2020 death numbers in Ireland compare to 2019 and 2018 btw? any1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭dalyboy

That’s all folks. After today’s announcements 2021 (possibly most of 2022 + 2023) is a dead duck.

There’s no way around it.

The present days “apocalyptic” crisis is the result of (1) the high infection rates and (2) the new variants and this has rendered every man , woman and child’s lives akin to that of robotic serfs in a never ending Groundhog Day existence.

Hypothetically speaking if we do manage to get the infection numbers down to that of last summer of 10-15 cases per day it’ll mean nothing to our level of restrictions. The powers that be (should not be) have already admitted that they’ll be as slow to remove present restrictions and it’ll be reminiscent of last summers speed of reopening.

BUT , we will be further reminded of “our mistake” of Xmas and that can’t be allowed to reoccur. Secondly we have the zero covid brain boxes out of their cages with the likes of RBB etc in full vocal support cheering them on.

We will be stuck in an infinite regress limbo of we need to stay locked down to avoid reopening and needing to Relock down again scenario.

All this spells is not weeks , not months but years away from being back to normal life.

Vaccines importance has been all but diluted in all this as there’s already slowness in distribution , supply issues , questions of effectiveness due to variants , admin staff ahead of vulnerable, and now Astra Zeneca availability issue.

There’s not even the possibility of escape to kinder climates after today’s news.
    The noose has mighty tightened today on everyone’s freedom and quality of life and these effects are going to be felt for decades both socially and economically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

any chance the media and social media might welcome the fact that we have got infections below 1,000 - and is on a downward direction - that we have an effective vaccine that should protect most , or will it be more and more doom, meaning longer and tougher lockdowns destroying our already fragile mental health, we really have forgotten how to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Leo calling the population of Ireland 'Naive' shows just how much of a smug twat he is.https://mobile.twitter.com/rtenews/status/1354116300629553153

You've just posted complete and utter rubbish. At least if you're making an argument - make it using real facts and not 'alternative facts'.

I watched the press conference.
    1. He's talking in medical terms about the fact the populations of New Zealand and Australia will not have been exposed to Covid at all due to closed borders and will not have generated any natural immunity to it.
    2. He also mentioned once borders closed here, they cannot be reopened for the reason stated above, or until a vaccine is effective and works and the whole country is vaccinated & herd immunity is achieved this way. This would include against all variants, where current vaccines currently look less effective against.
    3. Ireland was an outlier last summer - it would be one hell of an outlier this summer if we just closed our borders for at least a year or 2 or 3...
    4. Melbourne and the State of Victoria had to lock down from July to November - despite having mandatory quarantine. It's not the golden ticket out of this some believe. Some border checks are necessary - but this isn't some fairy tale where closing off Tír na nÓg will have us all free of Covid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Some benefitting significantly from this lockdown and have no desire for it to end. A few of them participating on these threads with the usual refrain of "there's no other alternative lads, do what you're told". I'd like to dish them out a healthy serving of humble pie.

You know I was talking to a group today who actually said exactly this. These lads are getting 350.00 a week sitting at home and doing nixers all day. They are loving it. It will be interesting if these lads are still supporting lockdowns when the pup is cut at the end of the month - its due to be reviewed on the 31st I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

risteard7 wrote: »
    It's surprising how ICU numbers aren't dropping much faster with all those deaths

I'm surprised someone who claims to work in a hospital would be surprised by that.

Hmmmm. Curious

Boggles wrote: »
    I'm surprised someone who claims to work in a hospital would be surprised by that.

Hmmmm. Curious

So what has you surprised?

Generally the patients who are critically I'll go to ICU, as the media says ours are near full to capacity. What part are you struggling with??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Generally the patients who are critically I'll go to ICU, as the media says ours are near full to capacity. What part are you struggling with??

The part where you claim to be a health care professional working in a hospital.

There is very basic reasons for what you are surprised about.

A HCP would know these and not be surprised or bemused.

Also the media report on data given to them by the HSE, they don't "say" anything.

The data is the data.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eh you do know that a huge amount of the very elderly who die would never be in ICU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Not everyone that dies is in ICU. A few pages back you were wondering how a vaccine works. I hope you’re just a porter.

emeldc wrote: »
    Not everyone that dies is in ICU. A few pages back you were wondering how a vaccine works. I hope you’re just a porter.

You haven't got a clue so dont bother speculating anymore. I dont think pfizer are even sure how and if the vaccine works properly against all these new strains. No I'm not a porter. "just a porter" is very important in a hospital setting

How did 2020 death numbers in Ireland compare to 2019 and 2018 btw? any1?

Not sure on death numbers ginger but it was a lot busier last January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

dalyboy wrote: »
    That’s all folks. After today’s announcements 2021 (possibly most of 2022 + 2023) is a dead duck.

There’s no way around it.

The present days “apocalyptic” crisis is the result of (1) the high infection rates and (2) the new variants and this has rendered every man , woman and child’s lives akin to that of robotic serfs in a never ending Groundhog Day existence.

Hypothetically speaking if we do manage to get the infection numbers down to that of last summer of 10-15 cases per day it’ll mean nothing to our level of restrictions. The powers that be (should not be) have already admitted that they’ll be as slow to remove present restrictions and it’ll be reminiscent of last summers speed of reopening.

BUT , we will be further reminded of “our mistake” of Xmas and that can’t be allowed to reoccur. Secondly we have the zero covid brain boxes out of their cages with the likes of RBB etc in full vocal support cheering them on.

We will be stuck in an infinite regress limbo of we need to stay locked down to avoid reopening and needing to Relock down again scenario.

All this spells is not weeks , not months but years away from being back to normal life.

Vaccines importance has been all but diluted in all this as there’s already slowness in distribution , supply issues , questions of effectiveness due to variants , admin staff ahead of vulnerable, and now Astra Zeneca availability issue.

There’s not even the possibility of escape to kinder climates after today’s news.
    The noose has mighty tightened today on everyone’s freedom and quality of life and these effects are going to be felt for decades both socially and economically.

Jesus. Doom and gloom much?

What was the announcement today that has resulted in such a pessimistic outlook?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

Stheno wrote: »
    Eh you do know that a huge amount of the very elderly who die would never be in ICU?

Not all but a lot would actually unless they are NFR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

how well would a hospital function without the porters? what a snobbish thing to say

ypres5 wrote: »
    how well would a hospital function without the porters? what a snobbish thing to say

Very true and believe it or not the porters in our hospital are the best people to give CPR (Compressions)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

You must be an old school Brit with those comments degenerating someone’s worth based on their occupation.... or maybe your just a civil servant

You must be an old school Brit! With your comments designed to degenerate someone’s worth based on their occupation.... or maybe your just a civil servant

I'd listen to a porter anyday who can give an eyewitness account of a day to day running of a hospital. We can all turn on RTE and then swivel the chair to go on the keyboard & spout nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I'd listen to a porter anyday who can give an eyewitness account of a day to day running of a hospital. We can all turn on RTE and then swivel the chair to go on the keyboard & spout nonsense

I worked with a very intelligent and highly respected consultant . If ever he was praised for his work he would always say
    “ I can only do my job because all the cogs in this hospital do their job very well and ensure that I can do my job . “

I think it's time to log off and watch something non Covid on tv! Too much is not good for the mental health

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    Jesus. Doom and gloom much?

What was the announcement today that has resulted in such a pessimistic outlook?

They essentially remarked that restrictions may be required until beyond this Christmas, and perhaps for years to come.

Covid may mutate and become something that will always require restrictions.

Although I did always say that using the current metrics to implement restrictions, they will be perpetual. Perhaps they read my posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Brid Smith was on the radio earlier criticising business owners who are anxious about an extended lockdown, easy for her to talk sitting on her arse earning a TDs salary.

Total geebag is all that one is.

They essentially remarked that restrictions may be required until beyond this Christmas, and perhaps for years to come.

Although I did always say that using the current metrics to implement restrictions, they will be perpetual. Perhaps they read my posts

To be fair, some of us called this. Easy to put restrictions in place. More difficult to divorce yourself from them.

Probably our best chance of getting rid of this nonsense is:

1) Europe dictating to us
    2) Finances collapsing
    3) Mass Protests
    4) General Election - Difficult though, as no big party is opposed to lockdown

Cant wait to go abroad this year.

They can mandatory quarantine me in fkin Zimbabwe for all they like... I am not staying in this shi*hole for 12 months straight thats for sure.

And I pity every1 who has stayed for the last 12 months.

Next 2 years are crucial - you heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

To be fair, some of us called this. Easy to put restrictions in place. More difficult to divorce yourself from them.

Probably our best chance of getting rid of this nonsense is:

1) Europe dictating to us
    2) Finances collapsing
    3) Mass Protests
    4) General Election - Difficult though, as no big party is opposed to lockdown
    Mass protests (or better - mass disobedience) could happen if the government cut off the PUP support. That would actually "help" people to wake up earlier and do something about the situation.

In some countries (Italy and Poland for example) business started to open up again despite the restrictions, as people need to earn a living and put food on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

They are still talking about tougher restrictions. Mandatory quarantine of all incoming travellers to be discussed next week at Cabinet meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

They put out feelers during the 1st lockdown that this could go on for 2 1/2-5 years. It seems they're hellbent to drag it out that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Sincere apologies from me on the ‘porter’ comment. It was a poor choice of words and I shouldn’t have said it. I didn’t mean to offend anyone especially porters and risteard7. I have been in hospital often enough to know what kind of work they do.
    Risteard7, truce if that’s ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Sincere apologies from me on the ‘porter’ comment. It was a poor choice of words and I shouldn’t have said it. I didn’t mean to offend anyone especially porters and risteard7. I have been in hospital often enough to know what kind of work they do.

You don't sound very sincere and you seemed to have a low opinion of porters in the offending post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Ah we've all done it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Seweryn wrote: »
    Mass protests (or better - mass disobedience) could happen if the government cut off the PUP support. That would actually "help" people to wake up earlier and do something about the situation.

In some countries (Italy and Poland for example) business started to open up again despite the restrictions, as people need to earn a living and put food on the table.

Are actively advocating violence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Are actively advocating violence?
    Are protests or disobedience always associated with violence? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Brid Smith was on the radio earlier criticising business owners who are anxious about an extended lockdown, easy for her to talk sitting on her arse earning a TDs salary.

Total geebag is all that one is.

she only takes the average or median salary for personal income to be fair, 30 odd thousand I believe.

( not gonna debate the merits around it or go into a goalpost moving discussion, but the fact is she's not earning a personal €100,000 like most TD's, even if you think she's a geebag which you're entitled to lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Under 1000 cases today, over 8,000 not two weeks ago. More restrictions and extended lockdown needed was the decision on foot of that massive effort and improvement.

Very demotivating. Why would you bother locking yourself away if that’s the reward you get?

Go out and enjoy your life. You only get one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Why would you bother locking yourself away if that’s the reward you get?

because 8,000 cases not two weeks ago, 1,000 cases today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

one of the worst things about those 8,000 figures is now that a still huge number like 1,000 seemingly looks relatively small to a lot of people, concerning what will happen when numbers go to where they were when we opened up in december. hope we don't repeat the same mistake again

Under 1000 cases today, over 8,000 not two weeks ago. More restrictions and extended lockdown needed was the decision on foot of that massive effort and improvement.

Very demotivating. Why would you bother locking yourself away if that’s the reward you get?

Go out and enjoy your life. You only get one.

100%.

Lets look at the last 10 months
    Does govt care about your mental health? no. All the politicians coming out running their mouth of "we may do that" "we wont do that" "its possible" "it cant be ruled out"

Does govt care about your income? well no. 400,000 + have just had their income capped at 250 - 350 euros per week. Minimum until March. Likely until June. For over 6 months of last 10 months also...

Has govt increased healthcare capacity? ICU beds? Not really. Have they flushed €30,000,000,000 + euros down the toilet? you can safely say so.

I really dont know what kind of person still supports this absolutely inept govt, the madness agenda they are pushing and complete destruction of not only of the spirit of the people but of their actual lives that ironically enough they are suppose to "care for" and "look after" as they are elected by those very same people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

growleaves wrote: »
    They are still talking about tougher restrictions. Mandatory quarantine of all incoming travellers to be discussed next week at Cabinet meeting.

I thought they were already bringing in quarantine for those who don't get a test before travel. Is this on top of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Graham wrote: »
    because 8,000 cases not two weeks ago, 1,000 cases today.

You'd think a 7k drop would be cause for celebration that we're back on track, but Nope. A 6 week extension [and no doubt another one after that] is all we get.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    You'd think a 7k drop would be cause for celebration that we're back on track, but Nope. A 6 week extension [and no doubt another one after that] is all we get.

6 weeks... They were mentioning December and beyond today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mr. Karate wrote: »

It's definitely heading in the right direction.

Open too much, too soon and we'll be heading back in the wrong direction all too quickly.

6 weeks... They were mentioning December and beyond today.

Thats the most infuriating thing.

They clearly have no idea of whats happening or whats going to happen.

But jesus are they quick to run their mouth and start predicting shi*e 9, 12 months from now.

Unreal.

Same idiots that kept telling us masks are useless for 3 months at the start of the pandemic... speechless stuff really.

Let me try it.

I dont think there will be any concerts in Ireland until 2022. But maybe we will look at it. It cant be ruled out. Its possible they could happen but only in a very safe environment and only if the health situation in the country and the managed of new cases are up to a good standard, its unlikely but it could happen.

There, I said alot and said absolutely nothing at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

I thought they were already bringing in quarantine for those who don't get a test before travel. Is this on top of that?

Its being considered for anyone incoming regardless of test status. They're discussing it in Cabinet next Tuesday.

Edit: They're discussing it "in the coming weeks", not next Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

“Heading in the right direction” he says after an 80% reduction in cases in under two weeks.

Come on guys, let’s get this down to 2 cases by Friday then we can go into level 4.9.

#inthistogether

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    It's definitely heading in the right direction.

Open too much, too soon and we'll be heading back in the wrong direction all too quickly.

Your happy to stay in lockdown until after the vaccine so?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement