Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Training/Coaching

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

I'd certainly be interested if there was some competent pistol trainers here.

I've done some training abroad including 2 basic pistol courses, dry fire somewhat regularly(sometimes with a 22, other times with a laser SIRT pistol), and also use an airsoft replica for times like currently when I need some recoil, but cannot shoot live since the range is in another county.

I'd definitely be up for some pistol shooting training here too though if it was available.
    I know it is available in the North, and strongly considering a trip up when the restrictions are a bit less arduous.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    I'd certainly be interested if there was some competent pistol trainers here.

I've done some training abroad including 2 basic pistol courses.

What was covered in the basic courses ?
    Are you a member of any clubs ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As Wadi14 knows i've a thread going on practice, general practice, but i thought i'd ask here as this is the purpose of the thread.

Head position.

What is the correct, ideal or best way to hold you head shooting pistol. Ive seen lads "hunker" down to the pistol (essentially drop their head "into" their shoulders), some lean to the side of their dominant hand and others raise the pistol up to their eye level and keep the head completely straight.

Not to be confused with dominant eye, just head position.

Which is the correct method?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭JP22

I was always taught to keep your head up to properly see your target.

Two handed grip or left hand supporting the right, bring firearm up, sight and shoot.

Then again, that was many many years ago and modern shooting techniques may have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Hold the head in it's natural position, because that is the most repeatable position, now in saying that some people have to adjust their head position to align the sights properly, example right handed left eye dominant, but their heads should still be upright with maybe a slight head turn to the right.
    No crouching down with your chin on your chest and no neck lol,

• Advertisement

Wadi14 wrote: »
    What was covered in the basic courses ?
    One was absolute basics, this is the trigger, this is the magazine release, this is how you open a revolver cylinder, etc.
    Some practical too but mostly classroom.

The other was a lot more involved, maybe a half hour of classroom with the rest of the time range time.

Everything from safety(practices, not the physical devices that is), loading, sight alignment, stance, grip, shooting, mag changes, troubleshooting, etc.
    Wadi14 wrote: »
    Are you a member of any clubs ?
    Yup, Midlands since early last year, but haven't been able to go since covid started being a thing, so ended up getting the SIRT laser pistol to practice at home in addition to the airsoft.

Cass wrote: »
    Head position.
    Which is the correct method?
    I'm cross dominant, so I have to do the eye dominance thing arseways so we'll skip that entirely ;)
    I was initially taught to keep your head tucked in but it isn't the best method for how the body naturally works.
    Once I tried leaving the head at it's natural position, and raising the pistol sights to your natural sightline the whole process became a lot more comfortable, and I suppose more importantly I got a bit closer to the bull more regularly.
    Also helps with quicker followup shots I've found, but your mileage may vary on that one.
    A friend of mine still swears by the tucked in approach and can shoot pretty well with it, so I think try both out for a shooting session, maybe with a bit of dry practice before heading to the range to get the motion to be a bit more natural, and see which works out better for you at the end of the day.

I don't think there is a single more correct method, but certain styles definitely suit some people better than others.

One thing I did notice on the other thread Cass, you mentioned not dry firing a Sig.
    Would one of these be an idea?
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/9mm-Laser-Training-Bullet-Red-Dot-Laser-Cartridge-Dry-Fire-Shooting-Simulation/383719518371?hash=item59577730a3:g:N0QAAOSwlx9fX1jc

Would allow you to dry fire in perpetuity, and have a laser to see your follow up?
    I have one for a shotgun, and would have gone the same way if I had the option of a CF pistol, but they don't make them smaller than 9mm, from what I've seen anyway.

Alternatively you could pop out the primer on a used cartridge and insert some rubber/hard silicone in the primer pocket, glue in place and let the firing pin hit that?
    That was what we used on one of my courses to practice malfunctions.

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭SVI40

Bring the pistol up to your head level, not your head down to the pistol level. This is what I have always been instructed, and works for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    One thing I did notice on the other thread Cass, you mentioned not dry firing a Sig.
    Would one of these be an idea?
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/9mm-Laser-Training-Bullet-Red-Dot-Laser-Cartridge-Dry-Fire-Shooting-Simulation/383719518371?hash=item59577730a3:g:N0QAAOSwlx9fX1jc
    That would be helpful. I did try using a spent casing, but was nervous of the firing pin hitting an already "used" primer nd that within a shot or two the firing pin would get the "damage" Sig was warning off with dry firing.

I'll look into getting one of those for both reasons you mention. Very handy.

Also thanks to everyone for the input on head position.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    That would be helpful. I did try using a spent casing, but was nervous of the firing pin hitting an already "used" primer nd that within a shot or two the firing pin would get the "damage" Sig was warning off with dry firing.

I'll look into getting one of those for both reasons you mention. Very handy.

Also thanks to everyone for the input on head position.

Looked around a bit there and I did see a few other bits and bobs which might help.
    If your Sig is of the exposed hammer variety a foam earplug inserted where the hammer hits might be an option?
    Or an even simpler approach, if it's applicable, remove the firing pin entirely and dry fire with zero possibility of damaging it?
    The last option I could see was get a spare and dry fire to your hearts content with your original and see does it suffer said damage? I did a quick search and found one within the EU which may work, depending on model, so they are out there. Not sure if that would constitute a "component part" and require an import permit though...

I did find a forum with some American brethren discussing a similar issue and they followed the latter approach and never had to replace the pin.
    Now they didn't specify if they were dry firing 100 times a day or once a month, but for what it's worth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I've had and shot all the good .22 handguns over the years and I now have the Grand Power K22 XTrim. An excellent and accurate pistol IMO. I fitted a Red Dot reflex sight 'cos these auld eyes aern't as good as they used to be. And with the red dot I can shoot with both eyes open if I want too. I'm happy to say that this combination has won me a couple of medals.

Now the biggest difference I have found is the way you'd grip the handgun. I'm right handed and my right hand is holding the hand grip with my thumb along the safety (a long safety on the XTrim), and my left hand around the right hand with my LH thumb over my RH thumb. My middle RH finger is under the trigger guard and gives a little more support to the weight of the pistol. Centre of gravity is in line with the trigger. I have also fitted a nice red custom adjustable trigger that will stop forward movement of the trigger just as the trigger resets after a shot. This makes for a sweet trigger and makes it easier to get back on target after a shot is taken.

But more important was the strength of my grip. If the handgun was held lightly then my groups would open up, and when held stronger then the groups would close up. I'm not saying to give it the Death Grip but to grip the handgrip nice and firmly.
    Another tip is where to Zero your sights. If your shooting the same round black target the then aim at the bottom of the target, with the round black target 'Sitting' on top of the front sight BUT with your sights set so the Point of Impact is on target centre. But remember that this is for 1 set distance only. By doing this your not 'Looking' at the Black of the target trying to find a point of aim.

Just my tuppence worth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement