Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

McGregor by Sub
    Jose is doing his nut now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

eagle eye wrote: »
    You seem to care a lot about it. I'm willing to bet you don't have and never had 30k in your life.

Im literally a millionaire but yeah stay mad.

Mcgregor is pathetic this fight.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA thanks for the free money McNugget you washedo ut cokehead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

McGregor by Sub
    McGregor looked very poor in the second, camps full of just boxing have cost him

Agree on this, his stance was completely different to every other fight we've seen. Slightly more squared, heavier on his lead leg, didn't have that zippy in and out motion that we've always seen. Keep the boxing for boxing, get back to the MMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mfceiling wrote:
    No point. The greatest boxer ever in the UFC? He had nothing. Retire.
    It's 1-1, the fans will pay for a rubber match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Well doesn’t seem like he’s retiring. But he doesn’t look as quick or elusive as he once did. Maybe inactivity partly to blame but not fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

He has to get past Jake Paul first before we start talking about Pacquiao...

:pac:

Probably his level when it comes to boxing to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

McGregor by Sub

Gone are the days when the forum would be full of these lads on a McGregor fight night. One or two is pretty good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

McGregor by Sub
    Did you put money on mcgregor? I put 30k on Poirier HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

No you didn't. I would wager you don't even have 30euro to your name never mind 30grand

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor by Sub
    Banned for a day till you calm down...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

There'll be a third one between them now I'd suspect. Poirier would be foolish to turn down the money.

From a money point of view perhaps. From a performance point of view McGregor needs to prove himself worthy. He needs to beat people like chandler or even hooker. I think he's probably done performance wise. Just money fights from here on out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Poirier by Sub

I think that's the one thing MacGregor has going for him left, most of us will still pay for another fight either way with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the end of it for McGregor.

Definite air of the music being turned off and the lights being on at the end of the night. He looked like a man whose race was run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

Poirier on Pts
    You could see early on he wasn’t the same. The fast twitch is gone. He should hang them up.

This

Really was not like watching him at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

He's starting to remind me of Ronda Rousey.

He's a top 6 fighter at that weight, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

Delighted for Poirier, what a fighter / person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Is that his first knock out loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

That won't be the next fight for Poirier who'll fight the title next so who next for McGregor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Agree on this, his stance was completely different to every other fight we've seen. Slightly more squared, heavier on his lead leg, didn't have that zippy in and out motion that we've always seen. Keep the boxing for boxing, get back to the MMA.

I think his leg was ****ed very early on. He completely ignored the kicks and paid the price quickly.

He wouldn't make the same mistake again, but shouldn't have ignored them this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Another desperate jealous individual. Boards would be so much better without these types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor on Pts
    I hope that's not the beginning of a hint that it was an early stoppage...

Absolutely not.
    He was caught with a few flush and knocked down. Would be silly to let him eat more undefended shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

walshb wrote: »
    Conor’s speed not what it was.

Not near as springy or explosive..

This is it. The reactions just aren’t there anymore. I’d say he looked and felt great in camp but it’s a fight that shows it.

I’ll also say this, I thought he looked in excellent shape prior to the weight cut but I think he was frail looking today. His face drawn. Just didn’t look great on the eye test.

He’s still capable of competing at this level obv but I just can’t see him getting back to the top. He has made his fortune. Go and enjoy it. Was great to see an Irish man make it to the very top and I had some amazing times travelling to his fights. But I would personally prefer if he hung them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Conor didn't look too bad in there but his stance has changed and he's not mixing it up enough. Compare that Conor to the one that fought Alvarez, night and day. I wouldn't say he's finished but he has plenty to work on if he wants to make a proper go of it.

I don't care at all about it much.
    You in the other hand are coming across as crazy, as spiteful and likely a liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Jesus he can attract some idiots to here.

He sounds devastated, he reckoned he was at his best pre-fight. Inactivity will be some of it but he is as much to blame for that.

Earlier in their careers and that would have ended much like the first. Mcgregor caught him with his best but this time Porier took it.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

RoryMac wrote: »
    That won't be the next fight for Poirier who'll fight the title next so who next for McGregor?

Gaethje or the new guy

McGregor by Sub
    He's not going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Bullocks wrote: »
    I think that's the one thing MacGregor has going for him left, most of us will still pay for another fight either way with him

"Pay"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Thought Dustins movement in defence was really stand out. Made McGregor miss so many strikes and countered him well. Some beautiful jabs too. Fantastic game plan overall, the takedown and leg kicks just weathered Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Genuinely pleased for Poirier though. The lad is so damn likeable - in and out of the octagon - and he took his chance tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭505_

McGregor by Sub
    Wow unbelievable! Thought he was gonna get the knockout in the second but the leg kicks stopped McGregor in his tracks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Normally my resting heart rate is about 65-70 and my stress level is literally on the absolute green part, the lowest it can get on my Samsung phone. Even 5 minutes after this fight Im sitting at 96bpm and the stress level is right at the top of the scale!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor by Sub
    Great performance out of Dustin, i think Conor thought it would be as easy as he thought and took him for granted. Hopefully he does stick around and get a few fights in but wouldn't be surprised if he gave it up. Can't imagine a card he doesn't main event but would love to see him get into the LW mix a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

McGregor by Sub
    Wasn't the same McGregor in there at all, time goes by for everyone even Conor. Great performance by Poirier who hated every minute of the fight camp build up and even first round being in the spotlight with a psycho. He's a true champion and would love to see him against Chandler next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poirier by Sub
    Conor didn't look too bad in there but his stance has changed and he's not mixing it up enough. Compare that Conor to the one that fought Alvarez, night and day. I wouldn't say he's finished but he has plenty to work on if he wants to make a proper go of it.

It’s down to speed and explosiveness..

He is heavier and more laboured now.

His success and game rely heavily on springy speed and snap..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Some of the comments are obviously so dumb.

You need to be active and sharp in this game. Dustin has been taking out killers for the last three years while Conor has been basically on the shelf.

Conor will be back and is still a top class fighter.

RoryMac wrote:
    Probably something handy like Tony who looks shot and is still ranked. They'll do whatever it takes to keep.him relevant for another fight with Poirier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

The hunger is gone. Too much money to ever be hungry for it again. One dimensional camp as someone said, full of boxing cutting corners. Poirier looks basic enough too.

You can't live that lifestyle and be at your optimum. I think he will still be fighting in 3 or 4 years when the €€€ has dried up to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Jon Anik ; “ Conor, all class always”

Irony at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You got 33/1 for Poirier to win?? Or is maths not your forte??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Genuinely pleased for Poirier though. The lad is so damn likeable - in and out of the octagon - and he took his chance tonight.

Same here.

I wanted McGregor to win but its not how I felt about his other defeats. I admire Dustin from what I have seen, hope he gets the belt at some stage. He believes he is the champ now.

I’ll also say this, I thought he looked in excellent shape prior to the weight cut but I think he was frail looking today. His face drawn. Just didn’t look great on the eye test.
    I thought he looked great tonight.
    He is blaming the calf kick for what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

walshb wrote: »
    It’s down to speed and explosiveness..

He is heavier and more laboured now.

His success and game rely heavily on springy speed and snap..

Yeah he looks more laboured for sure. The in and out he had doesn't really seem to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Whelo79 wrote: »

Think it was DC that compared it to Nate Diaz's approach, and that was exactly for McGregor went after him in the second fight. I remember McGregor either in the interview or the press conference talking about his leg being in bits because he'd been kicking the ****e out of Nate's all night.

You can only get away with having no respect for someone's shots if you can blast anyone out of it at any given time. Poirier is infinitely better and tougher (possibly/probably as a result of not draining himself to 145) and ate quite a few solid ones, including several left hands. You could see he felt them but was never stung. Once it was apparent that he wasn't going anywhere early, McGregor needed to protect the leg far more. Just didn't do it, and paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

calabi yau wrote: »
    Gaethje or the new guy

Don't see him winning either tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Surprised with how disappointed I am, still fairly invested even though I don't like him outside of the octagon (and I'm actually quite fond of DP). Feels like the end of an era really, even assuming he does fight on.

As others said he didn't look bad per se, but he's clearly past his peak. Regardless of when the knockout came, he really hasn't a hope of winning with the way his leg was unless he had gotten the KO himself before the end of round 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Inactivity is not an excuse. He’s supposed to be a professional.

If he spent less time thinking about a boxing match with pacauiao or bloody Jake Paul than maybe he wouldn’t overlook people like Dustin.

Let’s face it, the man is a clown. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor by Sub
    Did you put money on mcgregor? I put 30k on Poirier HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Screenshot/photo of the bet will satisfy your doubters. Good man.

Jon Anik ; “ Conor, all class alwaysâ€

Irony at its finest.
    You don't think he was respectful in his post fight interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

Ronda Rousey the 2nd, times up Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor on Pts
    There will be a lot of results based analysis come out of this.

He was winning the first. He was caught by another top fighter. There doesn’t need to be any more reason than that.
    Talking of being washed up or not having it any more is premature

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement