Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

it's actually kinda sad, mcgregor could have potentially been the best ufc fighter of all time but instead now it's a wasted talent for acting the bolllox, business ventures, and a novelty fight.

there would have been plenty of time for all that after he secured his legacy, but he just couldn't control his ego

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor by Sub
    eagle eye wrote: »
    You don't think he was respectful in his post fight interview?

I think it's the "always" part he finds ironic. Which it is to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Wasn't the same McGregor in there at all, time goes by for everyone even Conor. Great performance by Poirier who hated every minute of the fight camp build up and even first round being in the spotlight with a psycho. He's a true champion and would love to see him against Chandler next.

You can drink, drug and fight as a young man, but eventually you have to pay the piper. Exact same happened to Ricky Hatton in boxing. You can’t have that lifestyle outside the ring/octagon and expect the same level of performance inside it, especially as you get older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

John_D80 wrote:
    I think it's the "always" part he finds ironic. Which it is to be fair.

When has he been disrespectful in a post fight interview after a loss?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Mellor wrote: »
    There will be a lot of results based analysis come out of this.

He was winning the first. He was caught by another top fighter. There doesn’t need to be any more reason than that.
    Talking of being washed up or not having it any more is premature

He won the first but Poirier put the ground work in place for the win. The takedown and sapping his energy against the cage along with the leg kicks leads to McGregor swinging wildly in the 2nd and being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

He was winning the first. He was caught by another top fighter. There doesn’t need to be any more reason than that.

Ah I think it’s a fair thing to say he’s not the same. Yes he looked decent in the first but it’s the small things. Subjective to be fair but to my eye the reactions and speed are not what they were and it’s what his game is based on.

Yes DP is a high level fighter but Conor at his best makes light work of him as he’s just very hittable.

McGregor by Sub
    When has he been disrespectful in a post fight interview after a loss?

Never said he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

McGregor by Sub
    Yeah he looks more laboured for sure. The in and out he had doesn't really seem to be there.

Inactivity (and a less than professional lifestyle for a couple of years) will definitely have played a part, but it's a change of stance, the almost karate style was gone and he was more heavy footed, reverting towards more of a boxing stance that I think played more of a part. I think he needs to re-evaluate the whole boxing thing and realise what got him to where his is/was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

it's actually kinda sad, mcgregor could have potentially been the best ufc fighter of all time but instead now it's a wasted talent for acting the bolllox, business ventures, and a novelty fight.

there would have been plenty of time for all that after he secured his legacy, but he just couldn't control his ego

Big time.

Conor used Dustin as a steppingstone to stardom six years ago. He got better and snowed his revenge.

He’s a great guy too in and out of the ring. He deserves it.

Conor hunger is gone. Needs to call it a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Blanco100 wrote: »
    The hunger is gone. Too much money to ever be hungry for it again. One dimensional camp as someone said, full of boxing cutting corners. Poirier looks basic enough too.

You can't live that lifestyle and be at your optimum. I think he will still be fighting in 3 or 4 years when the €€€ has dried up to be honest.

Too much money to ever be hungry again? When has that ever stopped sports stars? Or specifically, combat athletes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Have they eased up on the rule they had for a while about not interviewing fighters that lost by KO (and/or TKO?)?

kona wrote: »
    Id say thats that for mc gregor.
    He sounds devastated, he reckoned he was at his best pre-fight. Inactivity will be some of it but he is as much to blame for that.
    He always reckons he's at his best. Unless he's saying otherwise to be dismissive.

LurkerNo1 wrote: »
    Thought Dustins movement in defence was really stand out. Made McGregor miss so many strikes and countered him well. Some beautiful jabs too. Fantastic game plan overall, the takedown and leg kicks just weathered Conor.
    Poirier's head movement was nice, had no fear of McGregor's power. One thing though that maybe isn't being mentioned enough is reach. McGregor had the advantage but only a small one.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

That Chandler fella seems like out of his mallet on coke. There’s confidence and fighter showmanship and then there’s that, lunatic, and not in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

You don't think he was respectful in his post fight interview?

It’s very easy to be humble when you’ve been destroyed. Like the first Nate fight.

But the always is a stretch considering how he’s carried himself.

I hope that’s him done. And I doubt Khabib is scared anymore :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

mdwexford wrote: »
    Some of the comments are obviously so dumb.

You need to be active and sharp in this game. Dustin has been taking out killers for the last three years while Conor has been basically on the shelf.

Conor will be back and is still a top class fighter.

What do the UFC do with though, it's a promotional nightmare.
    He commands big money, you can't have a guy headlining non title fights who's lost 2 out his last 3 fights.

The path was clear, beat Dustin, rematch khabib. He's done in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Good post. If he was committed to his craft he could have been a hell of a fighter but he doesn't live the life.

The big money killed him. I think a KO victory will eat away at him though tonight, beaten at his own game.

Fair play to DP, but just don't see anything special there. Thought he looked easy to hit, no head movement, back up in straight lines etc...

McGregor is always suspect after 2 rounds which is really apparent but looks like he is built for explosive speed and power rather than having any kind of engine to take him into later rounds. He won't age well in this sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

John_D80 wrote:
    Never said he has.
    So then as always after a loss he has been respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

rob316 wrote: »
    What do the UFC do with though, it's a promotional nightmare.
    He commands big money, you can't have a guy headlining non title fights who's lost 2 out his last 3 fights.

The path was clear, beat Dustin, rematch khabib. He's done in my opinion.

He'll have the choice of massively dropping his demands and working his way back up or fighting meaningless fights against people like Diaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Lost 3 of his last 6 now since Aldo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

I taught mcgreggor looked a little nervous before the fight.... ... definitely not up to match speed due to lack of competition ....would love to see him try again but I fear he will leave it at that .... great night of entertainment and excitement in these awful times for the world ...it’s the only time my 13year old will hang out with me and watch tv🥴🥴....

Have to hand it to mcgreggor he takes his beatings when he gets them with no excuses.

rob316 wrote: »

If a million idiots will hand over 50 quid each for someone staring at a wall you'd be an idiot to not provide such an event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I thought he won the first clearly, albeit not handily. Poirier's takedown got him nowhere and he seemed to be puffing a good bit while McGregor landed some really crisp shots. McGregor ate a really solid one well too (the one where Poirier pointed at him and smiled) so maybe he didn't respect the power enough.

We saw in the Gaethje and Alvarez fights especially just how heavy handed Poirier is though and there's nobody in the division who could've eaten that combo. A little bit of overconfidence/arrogance in the gameplan maybe, some rustiness, and got caught by one of the best in the world. That's about all there is to it.

One thing I'd be interested in going back to - did Kavanagh say anything about the kicks between the rounds? Kavanagh has been accused before, arguably with good reason, of being a bit of a yes man and I remember him having a "lovely stuff, great round" moment after one of the rounds where Nate was boxing/slapping the head off him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Ok, this is where I have to bow out of the MMA threads for the next few days.

Absolutely nonsensical analysis being made by people who either don't watch MMA or are just looking to have a dig.

Ricky Hatton comparisons. Jesus Christ...

McGregor by Sub
    Absolute congratulations to Dustin though, huge win for him and maybe now he fights Chandler for the belt. There's not many nicer lads in the game than Dustin, thoroughly delighted for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That Chandler fella seems like out of his mallet on coke. There’s confidence and fighter showmanship and then there’s that, lunatic, and not in a good way.

Was he not doin a rip off of a ric flair promo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub
    Conor is toast...and I'm a huge fan.
    I hindsight and despite the money, the floyd fight was the worst thing that ever happened to him. While he was pissing around with that, making money, getting coked up and losing to khabib, Dustin was busy actually fighting people, which is what you are meant to do.
    Lucky for conor, the UFC, unlike boxing , doesnt really care about losses. He can still make money, but I don't see him being champ again.
    That was piss poor. Fair play to him for staying around for the interview but you can't say your build up ad perfect then complain when you lose

McGregor by Sub
    One thing I'd be interested in going back to - did Kavanagh say anything about the kicks been the rounds? Kavanagh has been accused before, arguably with good reason, of being a bit of a yes man and I remember him having a "lovely stuff, great round" moment after one of the rounds where Nate was boxing/slapping the head off him.

He was telling McGregor it was a great round and "same again".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor on Pts
    RoryMac wrote: »
    He won the first but Poirier put the ground work in place for the win. The takedown and sapping his energy against the cage along with the leg kicks leads to McGregor swinging wildly in the 2nd and being caught.

I think Dustin expended more in the first imo. Was very close to going either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Wouldn't be surprised if Conor took this loss for a big payday from someone else who bet on it.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Too much money to ever be hungry again? When has that ever stopped sports stars? Or specifically, combat athletes?

It's stopped many. The evidence is there to say it's happening to him. Leads you to cut corners.

Ricky Hatton is actually a perfect example. The body can't take that kind of abuse between fights either. He lives the life I'm sure but not the life of a combat athlete as you call it, he'll burn bright for a short time until it all catches up with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I taught mcgreggor looked a little nervous before the fight.... ... definitely not up to match speed due to lack of competition ....would love to see him try again but I fear he will leave it at that .... great night of entertainment and excitement in these awful times for the world ...it’s the only time my 13year old will hang out with me and watch tv🥴🥴....

Have to hand it to mcgreggor he takes his beatings when he gets them with no excuses.

Only then he retires in a huff, not exactly taking your defeat with grace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭dougm1970

surprised how he didnt defend all them punches better at the end....not the last two...but the four of five shots up to it....a boxer would either cover up instinctively or try and grab his opponent and hold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Overlooking your opponent.
    Claiming a 60 second knockout win.
    Not checking kicks.
    Did JK or the team mention anything about the kicks after round 1? All I heard was keep doing what your doing.

Ego got him where he is but it's always been the cause of his downfall too.
    Definitely noticeable difference in his stance, the long wide karate style stance wasn't there.

Fair play to DP, I didn't give him a prayer going into this, got caught up in the hype, really hope he's done well financially from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭dockysher

He makes excuses for ever lose he has, so that comment is totally untrue. Tomorros wait u see hel have an excuse for tonight's defeat.

McGregor by Sub
    So then as always after a loss he has been respectful.

Oh yes.

Just a shame he cant have that same respect for his opponents before a loss. Or before a win for that matter.

On aggregate, in his time in the UFC he has been far more disrespectful to his opponents than respectful.

Anyone with a stem of sense knows that's what the poster meant when he said Aniks comment was ironic.

McGregor by Sub
    MattS1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if Conor took this loss for a big payday from someone else who bet on it.

OK, it's official. We have reached PEAK idiocy! Congratulations to you Sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

I think Dustin expended more in the first imo. Was very close to going either way.
    I thought the same, dustin was working very hard against the cage and looked to be breathing heavy enough at times...

fair play to him though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I taught mcgreggor looked a little nervous before the fight.... ... definitely not up to match speed due to lack of competition ....would love to see him try again but I fear he will leave it at that .... great night of entertainment and excitement in these awful times for the world ...it’s the only time my 13year old will hang out with me and watch tv����....

:confused: His excuse was inactivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Great card pity about conor. Do ye reckon he’ll be back ? Probably should have came back against a lower ranked opponent

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Conor is toast...and I'm a huge fan.
    I hindsight and despite the money, the floyd fight was the worst thing that ever happened to him. While he was pissing around with that, making money, getting coked up and losing to khabib, Dustin was busy actually fighting people, which is what you are meant to do.
    Lucky for conor, the UFC, unlike boxing , doesnt really care about losses. He can still make money, but I don't see him being champ again.
    That was piss poor. Fair play to him for staying around for the interview but you can't say your build up ad perfect then complain when you lose

Exactly. He effectively retired from UFC when he took the Mayweather fight.

Has to start from scratch in the LW division if he's going to be a contender. Can't see him doing that at this stage understandably.

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Banned for a day till you calm down...

He was posting yesterday claiming to be a virgin in "highschool". He also mentioned on a different thread he used to be "in the pen" for smashing people with hammers for disrespecting him.

Can't wait to see him back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

McGregor by Sub

Absolutely nonsensical analysis being made by people who either don't watch MMA or are just looking to have a dig.

Bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub
    I thought he won the first clearly, albeit not handily. Poirier's takedown got him nowhere and he seemed to be puffing a good bit while McGregor landed some really crisp shots. McGregor ate a really solid one well too (the one where Poirier pointed at him and smiled) so maybe he didn't respect the power enough.

We saw in the Gaethje and Alvarez fights especially just how heavy handed Poirier is though and there's nobody in the division who could've eaten that combo. A little bit of overconfidence/arrogance in the gameplan maybe, some rustiness, and got caught by one of the best in the world. That's about all there is to it.

One thing I'd be interested in going back to - did Kavanagh say anything about the kicks been the rounds? Kavanagh has been accused before, arguably with good reason, of being a bit of a yes man and I remember him having a "lovely stuff, great round" moment after one of the rounds where Nate was boxing/slapping the head off him.

Cavanagh is 100% yes man and Roddy too and the phil sutcliffe is meant to be cus d'amato and Emmanuel steward. He's not. Has crumlin ever produced a pro world champ? Have they fcuk. Piss poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Are the pressers on YouTube or fight pass? Wouldn't mind hearing what dana says

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

How long since the Alvarez fight where he looked at his best ever, 5 years? That's a long time of inactivity, party lifestyle that you can't get back. Can't see him competing against the top guys anymore, maybe Nate 3 and call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

John_D80 wrote: »
    Oh yes.

Just a shame he cant have that same respect for his opponents before a loss. Or before a win for that matter.

On aggregate, in his time in the UFC he has been far more disrespectful to his opponents than respectful.

Anyone with a stem of sense knows that's what the poster meant when he said Aniks comment was ironic.

Tell me a single quote from mcgregor that was disrespectful towards poirier before the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor on Pts

This is spot on.
    But I think a few days off thread and a rewatch will achieve the best discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

MattS1 wrote: »

Stop. Just stop. Smh

Not that outlandish a comparison.

Hatton was a world class 140lber found out at 147 when fighting bigger guys with equal/more talent and who also didn't have a party lifestyle between their fights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Tell me a single quote from mcgregor that was disrespectful towards poirier before the fight.

He said he was going to knock him out within 60 seconds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement