Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

McGregor by Sub
    Are the pressers on YouTube or fight pass? Wouldn't mind hearing what dana says

Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi5QIo0LG18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Great card pity about conor. Do ye reckon he’ll be back ? Probably should have came back against a lower ranked opponent

He did that already against that bait bag Cerrone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Anyone else think his team were poor? His instructions were to keep doing what your doing it's perfect? Did they miss the calf kicks in the first round. The boxing has ruined his wide karate stance. Baffling. Paul Felder must of been sitting there thinking I want the Conor fight next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Great card pity about conor. Do ye reckon he’ll be back ? Probably should have came back against a lower ranked opponent

i dunno, I'm always hoping for a new era of Conor, maybe this could be the start of it...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

rob316 wrote: »
    He did that already against that bait bag Cerrone

True that was a year ago though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

MattS1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if Conor took this loss for a big payday from someone else who bet on it.

Don’t think I’ve ever read a bigger pile of stupendously idiotic shįte anywhere, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub
    dougm1970 wrote: »
    surprised how he didnt defend all them punches better at the end....not the last two...but the four of five shots up to it....a boxer would either cover up instinctively or try and grab his opponent and hold on.

Mma striking has no comparison to boxing, defensively. There is basically no defence in mma bar using your head as a shield. Bob and weave? What!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

McGregor by Sub
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    Tell me a single quote from mcgregor that was disrespectful towards poirier before the fight.

I clearly said "On aggregate, in his time in the UFC he has been far more disrespectful to his opponents than respectful".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would be interesting to see Conor in a different camp just to get him out of his comfort zone. Reckon there are a few coaches who would love to work with him. Don’t think it will happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭iancairns

High chance he’ll be selling Proper Whiskey for €500m easy to be honest. He won’t need the money
    Blanco100 wrote: »
    The hunger is gone. Too much money to ever be hungry for it again. One dimensional camp as someone said, full of boxing cutting corners. Poirier looks basic enough too.

You can't live that lifestyle and be at your optimum. I think he will still be fighting in 3 or 4 years when the €€€ has dried up to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I’m not very knowledgable on MMA, basically only watch the ppvs and good fight night cards but McGregor didn’t look close to his best for me. As Marvin Hagler said it’s tough to get out of your bed at 5am to do road work when you are sleeping in silk pyjamas.

Also seems pretty obvious that if you live the way McGregor reportedly did for two-three years it’s going to make an impact on your performances.

Financially he’s far better off but it is a pity he didn’t stick to UFC, would have been interesting to see how close to Khabib a peak McGregor focused and living well could have got. Living the lifestyle he did and still being the only fighter to ever win a round against him speaks to the talent but sadly it wasn’t matched by discipline.

I think he will prob have 3-4 more fight, some wins and losses and hopefully for his own sake wrap it up in the next year or so unless there is a drastic improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Dana's talking about illegal streaming... first time i didn't have to go searching around for it, the built in vpn in opera browser that i use normally worked fine with the dutch link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

"This is what happened, when you change your team, leave the sparring partners who made you a champion and sparring with little kids, far away from reality." Khabib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

One thing I'd be interested in going back to - did Kavanagh say anything about the kicks between the rounds? Kavanagh has been accused before, arguably with good reason, of being a bit of a yes man and I remember him having a "lovely stuff, great round" moment after one of the rounds where Nate was boxing/slapping the head off him.

You would be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Screenshot-20210124-062027-2.png

He should frame that masterpiece.
    CMMMMM.jpg

McGregor by Sub
    Dana talking about streaming is like the king trying to stop the tide. Ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

iancairns wrote: »
    High chance he’ll be selling Proper Whiskey for €500m easy to be honest. He won’t need the money

Some Mexican company, Becle, own 49% of it. I’m not sure what the breakdown of the other 51% is, but it’s not all McGregor. I very much doubt the whisky company is worth 1bn, so he’ll be getting nowhere near “500m easy”

Screenshot-20210124-062027-2.png

He should frame that masterpiece.
    CMMMMM.jpg

Paint me like one of your French girls hahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Realistically, whats mc gregors plan? As mentioned he never defended, hes lost a number of fights since aldo. Why the hell has he bothered to come back, i dont think hes a fool?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

That's the most miserable Dana I have seen in a press conference.

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub
    Some Mexican company, Becle, own 49% of it. I’m not sure what the breakdown of the other 51% is, but it’s not all McGregor. I very much doubt the whisky company is worth 1bn, so he’ll be getting nowhere near “500m easy”

That is Jose cuervo tequila. Time for Conor to.cash in and enjoy his family

Would be interesting to see Conor in a different camp just to get him out of his comfort zone. Reckon there are a few coaches who would love to work with him. Don’t think it will happen though.

That is another option, move to another gym. Always felt too many yes men in his camp and he runs the camp.

kona wrote: »
    Realistically, whats mc gregors plan? As mentioned he never defended, hes lost a number of fights since aldo. Why the hell has he bothered to come back, i dont think hes a fool?!

Millions and millions of dollars might be a part of it.

That is Jose cuervo tequila. Time for Conor to.cash in and enjoy his family

On 28 February 2020, Mexican drinks group Becle announced it has exercised its option to buy an incremental 29% stake in Eire Born Spirits (EBS).

On 24 April, the Tequila maker completed its purchase of the additional 29% stake, taking its ownership in EBS up to 49%. EBS owns and markets the Proper No. Twelve blended Irish whiskey brand, which is made at Becle’s Old Bushmills Distillery in Northern Ireland.

Ryan Tubridy is highly involved per Ewan McKenna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

What do they do for the belt now? Assuming khabib stays retired (at they can't make the McGregor fight for mega millions. Well, they could, but you know what I mean) it's Gaethje, Poirier and now Chandler at the top table. I don't see Oliveira getting a shot any time soon and Ferguson is almost as good as done.

Poirier-Gaethje 1 was an incredible fight, part of that incredible sequence of fights between the two of them and Alvarez. Would love to see it again. Equally, that statement from Chandler gonna be hard to ignore but they can't give him it already.

Interesting to see how sincere McGregor is when talking about being active. It's hard to see what fight they can make for him that can headline a ppv other than Gaethje maybe. It'll never happen but would do him no harm at all to step back a bit and co main a few fights against some lesser opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Terrible mistake taking a fight against a top opponent after that long out. Looked rusty at times but in control at other times.

That was a fight he could and should have won had he been better prepared I think.

No fighter comes back after that long out and fights a top 3 opponent.

McGregor by Sub
    SlowBlowin wrote: »
    That's the most miserable Dana I have seen in a press conference.

Conor khabib would have been huge, hence talking to khabib right after. Now its dead

Dana talking about streaming is like the king trying to stop the tide. Ridiculous

Tis great advertising in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

McGregor by Sub
    That is another option, move to another gym. Always felt too many yes men in his camp and he runs the camp.

I disagree, he spent most of this camp woth boxers rather than the lads he came up with. He needs to get back to HQ and work the way he did if he wants to compete again. Also needs to go back to give something back to the place that made him. He's thought about 5 classes since Brandao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

If Khabib is not coming back then Dustin v Oliveira for the vacant belt with Chandler possibly fighting the winner is the way to go.

Conor v Justin with both coming off a loss makes a lot of sense. Would be a stand up war that the fans would love to see.

People underestimated Dustin big time here. Khabib apart he’s been the best lightweight on the planet for the last couple of years.

McGregor by Sub
    What do they do for the belt now? Assuming khabib stays retired (at they can't make the McGregor fight for mega millions. Well, they could, but you know what I mean) it's Gaethje, Poirier and now Chandler at the top table. I don't see Oliveira getting a shot any time soon and Ferguson is almost as good as done.

Poirier-Gaethje 1 was an incredible fight, part of that incredible sequence of fights between the two of them and Alvarez. Would love to see it again. Equally, that statement from Chandler gonna be hard to ignore but they can't give him it already.

Interesting to see how sincere McGregor is when talking about being active. It's hard to see what fight they can make for him that can headline a ppv other than Gaethje maybe. It'll never happen but would do him no harm at all to step back a bit and co main a few fights against some lesser opponents.

Khabib vacate and throw Dustin at chandler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

kona wrote: »

I think he believed the camps he was doing were making him a better fighter and he would beat Khabib in a rematch, it looks in hindsight the emphasis on boxing in his camps have taken away the bits that made him such a threat in MMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Poirier by Sub
    buyer95 wrote: »

Is the whiskey still even selling well?

McGregor by Sub

They may go all in on him in an attempt to create a new star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Conor is humble in defeat? Is this the same man i have seen re-enact fights with Khabib and Mayweather months after the fact with delusions of grandeur of how he was actually winning this round, that round too, won that, had him there, had him here?

The night he beat Eddie Alvarez was akin to Tyson beating Spinks, after that and the Floyd fight the f*** you money came in and he was never ever the same and he never will be either. You cannot maintain that kind of level when you're acting like a complete egomaniac outside of the cage or ring with yes men surrounding you for 3 out of the 4 years since.

The Ricky Hatton analogy is the most recent and very similar, but many many others have followed a similar path and unfortunately for McGregor he's added to that list.

Take the advice that Kavanagh gave him after the Alvarez victory "off you go, you've achieved everything, you're a multi millionaire, what else is there for you to do?". Off to the sunset with the millions, business and family. Stop chasing something that isnt there anymore.

I disagree, he spent most of this camp woth boxers rather than the lads he came up with. He needs to get back to HQ and work the way he did if he wants to compete again. Also needs to go back to give something back to the place that made him. He's thought about 5 classes since Brandao

As I said too many yes men. He's running his own camps not his coaches.

Even if I wasn't a scummy streamer to begin with, I'd go out of my way to be one if it meant not giving Dana White money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Conor khabib would have been huge, hence talking to khabib right after. Now its dead

would it? mcgregor never looked like winning that fight. khabib wins that fight 10 times out of 10. its hard to hype up a mcgregor fight anymore, hes finished.

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is the whiskey still even selling well?

I don't know to be honest, I haven't dug into the numbers. It seems to be quite big in the US, I watch a lot of nba on ESPN (using US sourced stream) and the ads for Proper 12 are extremely regular during big games. Don't know how sales are though tbh

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    If Khabib is not coming back then Dustin v Oliveira for the vacant belt with Chandler possibly fighting the winner is the way to go.

Conor v Justin with both coming off a loss makes a lot of sense. Would be a stand up war that the fans would love to see.

People underestimated Dustin big time here. Khabib apart he’s been the best lightweight on the planet for the last couple of years.

Try and walk through Justin Gaethje's leg kicks the way he did tonight and he'd end up getting knocked out worse.

McGregor by Sub
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    would it? mcgregor never looked like winning that fight. khabib wins that fight 10 times out of 10. its hard to hype up a mcgregor fight anymore, hes finished.

It would, if he won to tonight
    Obviously not now, sherlock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

McGregor by Sub
    buyer95 wrote: »

Ewan McKenna would be an expert where drink is involved to be fair

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1352812454242373633?s=09

Can taste Dana's tears from here. Glorious.

I'm more disappointed that's there nothing for khabib to come back for :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It would, if he won to tonight
    Obviously not now, sherlock

He was finished well before tonight, anyone knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Great news to wake up to.

McGregor by Sub
    https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1352812454242373633?s=09

Can taste Dana's tears from here. Glorious.

Can't stand khabib. Epitomy of a holier than thou Islamist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Try and walk through Justin Gaethje's leg kicks the way he did tonight and he'd end up getting knocked out worse.

I agree, do not think that would be a good night for Conor vs a hungry Justin coming off a loss.

That’s the fight that makes sense for all concerned though.

McGregor by Sub
    I'm more disappointed that's there nothing for khabib to come back for :(

Why?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement