Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Inactivity (and a less than professional lifestyle for a couple of years) will definitely have played a part, but it's a change of stance, the almost karate style was gone and he was more heavy footed, reverting towards more of a boxing stance that I think played more of a part. I think he needs to re-evaluate the whole boxing thing and realise what got him to where his is/was.

I completely agree with this.

He hasn’t looked the same since those boxing camps. Think it totally ruined his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    He was finished well before tonight, anyone knew that.[/quote

Yes, for sure. Everyone knew he would lose, that's why he was 1/3 fav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why?

Why? Why am I disappointed we won't see a great fighter like khabib. Love watching him

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

There are too many killers in the lightweight division for McGregor to be headlining fights. He does need to step back now and do a co main or fight night. Let’s see him fight Max Holloway again or Gaethje, even Hooker. He needs to get a W under his belt. I can’t see him beating anyone in the top 10 lightweight division at the moment. Diaz, Poirier, Holloway, Ferguson, Gaethje, Chandler, Hooker, RDA, Oliveira, Laquinta who does he beat there? They can all take his shots, they can all go 5 rounds. McGregor is screwed in the LD unless he starts from scratch and starts winning a few fights. He’s lucky insofaras, MMA fights tend to improve as they head towards their mid 30’s but it’s down to good coaching and I’m not sure McGregor is getting that. He literally hates getting hit, he doesn’t want to know, but a few good fights could get him used to it, like he was with Diaz 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

It's hard to see where McGregor goes from here, Poirier was the matchup that looked tailor made for him. Is he going to have the hunger for a few fights to build for a title run? Can he beat the top guys at LW?

I'd expect one of McGregor's famous retirement tweets in the coming weeks when the reality hits home. Only other option I see is Diaz 3

McGregor by Sub
    mdwexford wrote: »
    I completely agree with this.

He hasn’t looked the same since those boxing camps. Think it totally ruined his game.

Make a few bob off a manny fight and hit the road, but I think he will go more like a roy jones/anderson silva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Yes, for sure. Everyone knew he would lose, that's why he was 1/3 fav

filthy casuals...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

mdwexford wrote: »
    I agree, do not think that would be a good night for Conor vs a hungry Justin coming off a loss.

That’s the fight that makes sense for all concerned though.

Agree Gaethje is the best fight to make for him but they really have to change things up. Gaethje hasn't got his red panties yet do I'd say he'd be happy to do it, but if they offer Poirier-Gaethje for the belt...

Gaethje? He'd eat McGregor up, that would be a bad fight for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Can't stand khabib. Epitomy of a holier than thou Islamist

Done everything in the division and battered everything in front of him.
    Why would he not have an air of confidence?

At least it’s justified unlike McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

rob316 wrote: »
    Gaethje? He'd eat McGregor up, that would be a bad fight for him.

Agreed, Conor loses against Gaethje. Put him in against RDA, see if he can get a W against him first. RDA is going well atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

bennyl10 wrote: »

Becsuse hes a leg humper and nobody is going to stay up till 5am to watch him do that. Its horrendous stuff.

calabi yau wrote: »
    Agreed, Conor loses against Gaethje. Put him in against RDA, see if he can get a W against him first. RDA is going well atm

RDA has lost 4 of his last 6. Admittedly some of them were against elite Welterweights but one of them was to Michael Chiesa.

kona wrote: »
    Becsuse hes a leg humper and nobody is going to stay up till 5am to watch him do that. Its horrendous stuff.

Jesus. Leg humper? He beats the life out his opponents from the top. I just can't fathom how people find him boring.

kona wrote: »

Ah this old chestnut

He’s a wrestler In MMA, that’s an effective martial art that he’s amazing at.

Sounds like you need to watch boxing

• Advertisement

Watching the finishing sequence again, McGregor was actually eating some of the shots pretty well, but he miscalculated the last one and tried to duck and ended up dropping square onto it. Lovely stuff from Poirier.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭iancairns

Some Mexican company, Becle, own 49% of it. I’m not sure what the breakdown of the other 51% is, but it’s not all McGregor. I very much doubt the whisky company is worth 1bn, so he’ll be getting nowhere near “500m easy”

Maybe not easy you’re right. But if Reynolds ‘team’ got $610m and Clooney’s ‘team’ upwards of a $1Billion. Maybe Conor team gets in around those numbers. We’ll see anyway. Not a fan boy. Just making that point. Could happen

McGregor by Sub

I'm not talking about his confidence. I'm talking about the air of Islamist superiority he emanate. Stuff like if you promote whiskey you are a drunk sinner
    Meanwhile he marries his wife with a towel over her head. Can't stand that stuff. He is the Russian version of an American evangelist. Both groups are the opposite of free living. Khabib is as big a scumbag as conor, just for opposite reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Ah this old chestnut

You’re not wrong, and he is wrong in saying a Khabib return wouldn’t get the viewership but it’s not very entertaining just watching grappling, rolling around on the mat trying to choke your opponent out.

I'm not talking about his confidence. I'm talking about the air of Islamist superiority he emanate. Stuff like if you promote whiskey you are a drunk sinner
    Meanwhile he marries his wife with a towel over her head. Can't stand that stuff. He is the Russian version of an American evangelist. Both groups are the opposite of free living. Khabib is as big a scumbag as conor, just for opposite reasons

Put down the can and go to bed man

No need for any of that stuff; stop listening to Conor and think before you post

To get even half of that scutter from a clip of him and Dana talking is mind boggling

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Jesus. Leg humper? He beats the life out his opponents from the top. I just can't fathom how people find him boring.

Hes boring. Mc gregor is not boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

You’re not wrong, and he is wrong in saying a Khabib return wouldn’t get the viewership but it’s not very entertaining just watching grappling, rolling around on the mat trying to choke your opponent out.

To each their own. I find Khabib fascinating to watch, personally. His finishing sequence against Gaethje is every bit as technical and interesting as McGregor's finish of Alvarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

like a foootball, Ariel...

Ah this old chestnut

Boxing has its share of boring fighters too. But yes its alot better than a khabib yoga session.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor by Sub

This is an MMA forum..his religion is irrelevant, take it elsewhere. Fighter bashing and name calling is also against the charter so lets end this discussion right here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Have to say Conor is coming across very well in the presser after the defeat.
    Seemed upset when the Khabib tweet was read out to him?

McGregor saying the stance was all wrong and he needed to be bouncing, wants to get back to that style

Good sign that he's not hubristic enough to think he can just do what he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭creeper1

A lot of talk about a Dustin rematch. I think he loses again if said rematch happens within a year.

I would say he needs to be fed a few more guys like Donald cowboy. Maybe even being in the middle of a card.

Even then, as has been noted, that division is stacked with killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Have to say Conor is coming across very well in the presser after the defeat.
    Seemed upset when the Khabib tweet was read out to him?

He’s obviously changed/a bit different now....He said so himself...You could see it in the build up and last year against Cerrone....I miss some of the old banter/nonsense - it was good fun at times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

RoryMac wrote: »
    I think he believed the camps he was doing were making him a better fighter and he would beat Khabib in a rematch, it looks in hindsight the emphasis on boxing in his camps have taken away the bits that made him such a threat in MMA.

More to it than this, but it is ironic that the more he’s concentrated on boxing, the less power/fizz/snap his left seems to carry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Conor looked like he was sparring against someone who he thought wasn't going to throw back. Slow plodding as if was just doing light sparring in head gear and big gloves. Then when they fought back he wasn't prepared to handle it. Look closely he shot in for a takedown and got punched whilst ducking, thats the 1 that knocked him down. Same as Diaz... went to shoot out of panic as just wasn't prepared for a war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not a fan of Conor McGregor (at all) but at least he was gracious in defeat.
    Maybe it's time to actually quit (doubt it though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McGregor by Sub
    Duston looked to big and strong for him
    Conor cracked him on the chin a couple of times and it didnt move Dustin

I thought Conor wouldnise more kicks himself early on

Duston looked to big and strong for him
    Conor cracked him on the chin a couple of times and it didnt move Dustin

I thought Conor wouldnise more kicks himself early on

I don't know, he seems to throw the odd kick early but use his right hand to find range for the left. Didn't seem he had much time for that. Dustin wanted straight in there. I'll have to watch it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

McGregor by Sub
    They may go all in on him in an attempt to create a new star.

Dana won't let that happen. It would mean the UFC's champ would be smashed by Bellator's.

derfderf wrote: »
    Dana won't let that happen. It would mean the UFC's champer would be smashed by Bellator's.

How old is he? 34?
    Dustin was quite straight in the presser, he doesn't want him unless he earns it with a few more fights. Can't blame him as such, he's been there for ten years or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

McGregor by Sub
    How old is he? 34?
    Dustin was quite straight in the presser, he doesn't want him unless he earns it with a few more fights. Can't blame him as such, he's been there for ten years or something.

I think so. Khabib would smash Pitbull, but if other results keep going this way could you really say anyone else in the ufc would?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well that should be that for McGregor. Perhaps a retirement that is actually a retirement is required.
    No doubt at his peak a great fighter and has done great work for the promotion and set himself up for life but enough is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Anniepowaa

Made a career out of beating people way smaller then him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Not that outlandish a comparison.

Hatton was a world class 140lber found out at 147 when fighting bigger guys with equal/more talent and who also didn't have a party lifestyle between their fights.

It wasn't just the party lifestyle that did for Hatton though. It was the heaps of pints washing down chips covered in pints of gravy and ballooning weight as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

McGregor by Sub
    I'm in genuine shock

Was so, so so confident in McGregor winning.

Sin é for his career probably

McGregor by Sub
    Anniepowaa wrote: »

Right. . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Anniepowaa wrote: »
    You could say the same about khabib. That dude is a welterweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

kippy wrote: »
    Well that should be that for McGregor. Perhaps a retirement that is actually a retirement is required.
    No doubt at his peak a great fighter and has done great work for the promotion and set himself up for life but enough is enough.

Cmon surely you've watched enough UFC to know an L doesn't really mean anything. For example Dustin Poirier getting KO'd stiff by Michael Johnson. Henry Cejudo getting destroyed by Demetrious Johnson. At least Conor put up somewhat of a fight. He royally screwed up by going for a takedown and ducked into a punch, then as he fell got ktfo. This happens in fighting all the time doesn't mean he an't win again. But he definitely needs changes, its clear as day his skillset has been dropping since Mayweather. His standup was bad against Khabib and even though he beat Cerrone something just seemed off with his movement. SBG just can't hang with the big mma teams who know all the trade secrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jersey Puller

Don’t ever forget the good times . He has given us some great ones , but he looked old this morning and he is self assured enough to say that himself . . I remember in 07 or 08 going to cage contender fo see a friend of mine fighting but being captivated by this fighter from Crumlin and straight away I knew he was special . It was all Chuck Liddell and Karo Parisian for me back then but when I saw this fella and paddy H was on the same card , I knew that we finally had UFC Caliber fighters in Ireland. Ok he came up short this evening , but he gave us some great great moments that have not been seen since Italian 90. I think at the end of the day , he’s a family man with a good heart . And he never backed down from anything , win or lose he gave it his all . And hopefully history might be kind to him .

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Completely this. It’s over before it starts.

My god I could watch Dustin fighting all day but he has a level.

Genuinely shocked in the result here.

Always enjoyed Poirier but didn't see this coming.

However for the good of the division it doesn't get my juices flowing in regards to hype.

Poirier vs Oliviera etc isn't too intriguing... Casual viewership gonna get hurt a lot too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Remember when Ireland had 5 or 6 fighting in the UFC?

Soon to be zero.

God times they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

McGregor by Sub
    My big take away from that fight is less that Dustin is exceptional but rather that Conor is no longer that. Don't get me wrong Dustin is most certainly a great fighter and he earned that win but it's clear McGregor is way past his personal best. Doesn't really matter why, he just is.

We can talk lifestyle, camps, mindsets, fame, money, or whatever, but at the end of the day the simple truth is that he's just past his personal sell by date.

That said though, the usual nonsense of "he should retire" is predictable. McGregor loses to the #1 in the world. It happens. Even if he's over his own personal hill, he's still a perfectly capable fighter and he has a fair few fights left in him.

I mean Michael Chandler made Dan Hooker look like a bum in the event just prior and no-one's saying he should retire nor doubting the fact that he's still a good fighter who had the night go against him...badly.

It's the fight game. Losses happen to the best and the best get old and slow down as well. Some can compete successfully in later years no doubt, but a great many just can't. We have seen it happen over and over again.

The McGregor we had is gone and I really don't think he's ever coming back at this stage. That doesn't mean he will never compete or win again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Lads im sitting here in genuine shock at this

This was supposed to be “a day at the office” for Conor then that happens

My eldest is in tears over this

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

McGregor by Sub
    Delighted. Delighted !
    Devo I called it wrong, I don't where my head is at right now. Pity he got the head battererd off him over his sore calf.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement