Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Poirier on Pts
    Frustrating fight (from a McGregor fan viewpoint). Grappled well in the first and caught Poirier with a few nice shots. But once again he looked a diminished fighter after a round and a half. I’m aware a lot of that was from Poiriers kicks disrupting his balance and weight distribution on his feet but why not check them? He loaded up on a couple of big hits which missed the target and Poirier picked him off easily enough after that.

I’d question McGregor’s heart again. He showed plenty of it in the Diaz 2 and Khabib fights but once the tide changed in this one, he seemed out on his feet ala Diaz 1. Why not level change? He’s had plenty of time to work on his BJJ over the past 5 years. His grappling is quite good. We haven’t seen him throw any leg kicks in decent numbers since Diaz 2. He’s just not a rounded fighter. Far too dependant on the left shot that everyone sees coming at this stage and understandably has lost some of the zip that he had in his 20s. He looks more one dimensional than his earlier carrier as he’s gone away from his kicks and just concentrating on walking down his opponent and catching them with that left. Interesting to see if he can evolve his style at this stage of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

clsmooth wrote: »
    Frustrating fight (from a McGregor fan viewpoint). Grappled well in the first and caught Poirier with a few nice shots. But once again he looked a diminished fighter after a round and a half. I’m aware a lot of that was from Poiriers kicks disrupting his balance and weight distribution on his feet but why not check them? He loaded up on a couple of big hits which missed the target and Poirier picked him off easily enough after that.

I’d question McGregor’s heart again. He showed plenty of it in the Diaz 2 and Khabib fights but once the tide changed in this one, he seemed out on his feet ala Diaz 1. Why not level change? He’s had plenty of time to work on his BJJ over the past 5 years. His grappling is quite good. We haven’t seen him throw any leg kicks in decent numbers since Diaz 2. He’s just not a rounded fighter. Far too dependant on the left shot that everyone sees coming at this stage and understandably has lost some of the zip that he had in his 20s. He looks more one dimensional than his earlier carrier as he’s gone away from his kicks and just concentrating on walking down his opponent and catching them with that left. Interesting to see if he can evolve his style at this stage of his career.

Reminding me post prison Mike Tyson a bit. No plan B and yes men in the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poirier by Sub
    it's actually kinda sad, mcgregor could have potentially been the best ufc fighter of all time but instead now it's a wasted talent for acting the bolllox, business ventures, and a novelty fight.

there would have been plenty of time for all that after he secured his legacy, but he just couldn't control his ego

I can’t see this..

He just does not have enough to his game..

Got away with it at FW due to him having physical advantages...

Against bigger opposition you need that bit more

He just never looks comfortable in close or on the ground milling and grounding it out..

And his stamina is an issue..

Too reliant on hands and striking power..

This loss should be no surprise. He’s been pretty much a part time partying ex MMA fighter the past three years or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

clsmooth wrote: »

I've watched it back again and I'm thinking the damage to the leg was critical. Mcgregor mentioned it as one of the first things when he got up but some might see that as latching onto an excuse?

The biggest question still remains though, why not check them as you say?

I don't question his heart after that, I think he gave it all he could. Maybe him catching Poriers legs were for another avenue of balance to try and land the left.

He still caught him well after that but it didn't phase Porier. He dodged some of the final barage of shots well, ducking and weaving but Porier made that his moment. He gave it all he had there and reaped the rewards - would many have survived that onslaught?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Jersey Puller

Dwelling in other people’s misfortune is a horrible trait . He got beaten and beaten well, that’s fine. Possibly underestimated his opponent and overestimated his own preparation/team . But he’s a man and he took it well . Fairs fair , he gets slated when he acts like a see you next Tuesday so he should also get a bit of love from flicking the switch .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Don’t ever forget the good times . He has given us some great ones , but he looked old this morning and he is self assured enough to say that himself . . I remember in 07 or 08 going to cage contender fo see a friend of mine fighting but being captivated by this fighter from Crumlin and straight away I knew he was special . It was all Chuck Liddell and Karo Parisian for me back then but when I saw this fella and paddy H was on the same card , I knew that we finally had UFC Caliber fighters in Ireland. Ok he came up short this evening , but he gave us some great great moments that have not been seen since Italian 90. I think at the end of the day , he’s a family man with a good heart . And he never backed down from anything , win or lose he gave it his all . And hopefully history might be kind to him .

Cool story bro

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

McGregor by Sub
    callaway92 wrote: »
    Right. . . .
    Yes, right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Delighted with that result

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

sitting heavy on lead foot, makes him easily hit and open for takedowns and the low calf kicks.

Couldn't happen to a nicer fella either.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Cool story bro

Ah sure I suppose I might be a bit sentimental about these things .
    But hopefully now soon we will have a few good young lads that will step up into the breach .
    We need to get a good wrestling programme going in Ireland though or else we will be badly exposed .

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub
    Any photos of his American football balloon calf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

callaway92 wrote: »
    Right. . . .

Not overly wrong

He’s not cut out for LW, he’s had one fight where he looked competent?

McGregor by Sub
    Macdarack wrote: »
    Any photos of his American football balloon calf?

EseyzeTXEAEvx2j?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Don’t ever forget the good times . He has given us some great ones , but he looked old this morning and he is self assured enough to say that himself . . I remember in 07 or 08 going to cage contender fo see a friend of mine fighting but being captivated by this fighter from Crumlin and straight away I knew he was special . It was all Chuck Liddell and Karo Parisian for me back then but when I saw this fella and paddy H was on the same card , I knew that we finally had UFC Caliber fighters in Ireland. Ok he came up short this evening , but he gave us some great great moments that have not been seen since Italian 90. I think at the end of the day , he’s a family man with a good heart . And he never backed down from anything , win or lose he gave it his all . And hopefully history might be kind to him .

Karo was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Nasty pic of his leg there, Poirier using McGregor's own game plan from Diaz Ii to beat him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

McGregor by Sub
    MattS1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if Conor took this loss for a big payday from someone else who bet on it.

Grow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If he fights again, leave him off the main event. Doesn't deserve it. Hype or not.

I'd say Jake Paul is his level now, only himself to blame from a fighters point of view. Fighting a washed up Cowboy a year ago.

6th October 2018 was the Khabib fight.

2019 fought nobody

2020 easy win against Cowboy

2021 destroyed easily.

Either retire or start again but you can't call that a career of a champion or someone who should be top billing on cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Think 145 only place conor is king. Dustin was a boy last time they fought, he matured a lot since then. Pity I was hopeful of khabib rematch. Wonder where he goes from here? Probably super fights/spectacle fights.

Poirier by Sub
    I picked Dustin by KO, but was expecting it to come after 3/4/5 rds of decent action and energies..

Conor seemed to fold easily...

Need to watch it again. I get he was probably tiring, and his leg hurting, but it just seemed like it was over too quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

SBG just isn't up to scratch. Practically all of their fighters end up getting ko'd when fighting decent opposition. Even several cases of fighters on a good streak, join sbg, get knocked out, leave sbg and do well again. How could you possibly think Conor going into Poirier fight pretending hes a push forward high volume brawler, in a boxing stance, was a good idea. Some of the punches he threw were extremely inaccurate and just left him wide open for Poiriers counter every time. Maybe its the boxing clubs fault, I think Conor got a bit too obsessed with boxing after loss to mayweather and changed his whole approach for no reason. Of course his leg was going to get wrecked. Conor has to fight mma only as a distance counter puncher, who pressures his opponent to throw first, any other style will never work for him. You can see what happens when hes forced into a brawl in the 2 Diaz fights, mayweather and here, he wilts and doesn't punch back. Barely survived round 3 in Diaz 2, then Diaz was tired in round 4, but Poirier hits harder, can't just stand there like a punch bag trying to slip punches with nothing coming back.

kippy wrote: »
    Well that should be that for McGregor. Perhaps a retirement that is actually a retirement is required.
    No doubt at his peak a great fighter and has done great work for the promotion and set himself up for life but enough is enough.
    walshb wrote: »
    I picked Dustin by KO, but was expecting it to come after 3/4/5 rds of decent action and energies..

Conor seemed to fold easily...

Need to watch it again. I get he was probably tiring, and his leg hurting, but it just seemed like it was over too quickly.

Conor was kicking himself for going for the takedown in Diaz 1 when under pressure and it got him in trouble, same thing here. He level changed and ducked into a punch, then knocked out as he landed. If he didn't level change he could've survived longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He wasnt level changing when he got chinned. He was ducking. He had done it twice already in the previous 10 second flurry he was facing. Dustin read it. That wasn't a level change, it was a weave. He was trying to survive on a bandy leg.

Kirby wrote: »
    He wasnt level changing when he got chinned. He was ducking. He had done it twice already in the previous 10 second flurry he was facing. Dustin read it. That wasn't a level change, it was a weave. He was trying to survive on a bandy leg.

He was level changing, look at his arms open up to try grab dustins legs, exact same as he done in Diaz 1.

Poirier by Sub
    Floyd’s latest insta post is desperate!!!

Floyd is a legend though. McGregor is a mouth.

• Advertisement

Poirier by Sub
    RasTa wrote: »
    Floyd is a legend though. McGregor is a mouth.

A very weird man!

Went down like a sack of spuds.

Shytehawk Dana White as shocked as McGregor was :pac:

Conor saying the Pacquiao was a done deal. Also talking about Khabib in the pre fight presser. Just too scattered, looking too far into the future. Didn't see Poirier coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

Not sure Conor would beat many people in the 155 top ten.

He looks like he aged 10 years compared to Khabib, Dustin and Justin who are all 32.

Maybe the UFC need to start some type of Legends League so people who are past it can fight each other.

Poirier by Sub
    The Nal wrote: »
    Conor saying the Pacquiao was a done deal. Also talking about Khabib in the pre fight presser. Just too scattered, looking too far into the future. Didn't see Poirier coming.

Barring a KO shot, which would be quite unlikely IMO, he would get mauled far easier against a prepared Khabib

Best to get in with Manny, go through the motions and collect some dough!

• Advertisement

Sadly, his career is starting to remind me of Mike Tyson to an extent.

He was great in his time. Confident, arrogant, KOd everyone in front of him.

But he’s at that later stage now were he is trying to make big comebacks and it’s just not going to work against the in form fighters of the last few years.

I don’t particularly like Dana but he is right. Conor either gets proper hungry again or he’s done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

McGregor by Sub
    mdwexford wrote: »
    If Khabib is not coming back then Dustin v Oliveira for the vacant belt with Chandler possibly fighting the winner is the way to go.

I really hope this happens and these two are most deserving of it.

I have a feeling Oliveira will be sidestepped for a bigger name, maybe chandler even though I don't think Chandler deserves it yet.

Dustin said he got hurt with a left hand shot and if Conor had have pressed and hit him again that would've been it.

4551.jpg

But he’s at that later stage now were he is trying to make big comebacks and it’s just not going to work against the in form fighters of the last few years.

I don’t particularly like Dana but he is right. Conor either gets proper hungry again or he’s done.

Ah here, nowhere near the level of Tyson.

McGregor by Sub
    EseyzeTXEAEvx2j?format=jpg&name=900x900

She's a framer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

Bullocks wrote: »
    Is the whiskey still even selling well?

In the States yes. The Yanks are well used to artificial colouring in their food & drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

spix wrote: »
    He was level changing, look at his arms open up to try grab dustins legs, exact same as he done in Diaz 1.

No he wasn't, no he didn't, no it wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Feenix wrote: »
    In the States yes. The Yanks are well used to artificial colouring in their food & drink.

Most whiskey, including most Irish whiskey, has artificial colouring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

McGregor by Sub
    How did the dutch site work in the end ? Watched it via Turkey myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Very happy for Dustin.

Conor is done. Will never be champ again at 155 or 170.

Maybe has a chance at 145 but doubt he could make weight easily at this stage.

Diaz showed him up in the first match and was robbed in the second. Khabib made him look less than average. Holloway as he is now would finish him or at least get the decision.

Time to retire and concentrate on other things.....

It's John Kavanagh I feel sorry for....... No more coat tails to ride on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The Nal wrote: »
    Dustin said he got hurt with a left hand shot and if Conor had have pressed and hit him again that would've been it.

4551.jpg

Smart from Dustin, get the 3rd fight based in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

McGregor by Sub
    khaldrogo wrote: »
    Very happy for Dustin.

Conor is done. Will never be champ again at 155 or 170.

Maybe has a chance at 145 but doubt he could make weight easily at this stage.

Diaz showed him up in the first match and was robbed in the second. Khabib made him look less than average. Holloway as he is now would finish him or at least get the decision.

Time to retire and concentrate on other things.....

It's John Kavanagh I feel sorry for....... No more coat tails to ride on
    Diaz robbed in the second? It was close but he definitely wasn't robbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Diaz robbed in the second? It was close but he definitely wasn't robbed.

Close but one of the easiest to score close fights in UFC that you’ll ever see. Anyone who didn’t score it 3-2 for McGregor is a very poor judge of MMA fights.

Poirier by Sub
    The only robbing in Diaz 2 was it being split..

Karo was awesome
    Nice one dude . Great times back then . Wacky fellas like Rich No Love Clementi and Kendall the Spider Grove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Dan Hardy identified it weeks ago about using the calf kick on Conor's lead leg to nullify his power and slow him down.

Amazing how Conor and his coaches had no plan to counter this, arrogance and ignorance all in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Esse85 wrote: »
    Dan Hardy identified it weeks ago about using the calf kick on Conor's lead leg to nullify his power and slow him down.

Amazing how Conor and his coaches had no plan to counter this, arrogance and ignorance all in one.

Good point. I will knock him out in a round etc.

That guy was tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor by Sub
    Esse85 wrote: »

yup, i mean it's not some exotic super secret tactic, it's a basic enough move and has been seen in plenty of big fights. not being able to deal with it effectively is damning on the coaching team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

He’s was great at knocking out lads when he had a height, weight and reach advantage over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well , that’s it for him I’d say, Motivation or whatever but can’t be as inactive as he has and go up against people that are and expect to win, he was very flat.
    Same goes for all professional sports.
    The Mendes fight was the greatest night for myself.
    His demolition of Aldo and Alvarez being the highlights with regards to his ability.
    Especially the Alvarez fight he just demolished him calmly, everybody was open mouthed watching that.
    I don’t think he can be held in the same breath as Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture and the likes, leaving out the other drug cheats.
    He definitely had the ability to go and do it.
    Keeping the momentum, atmosphere and fans going.
    Going off doing sideshows and being inactive put paid to that.
    Great for him obviously , but everything started going flat after the Mayweather fight.

I’d say he will look back when he is older, reminiscing and have a few regrets or maybe he won’t.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement