Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Esse85 wrote: »
    Dan Hardy identified it weeks ago about using the calf kick on Conor's lead leg to nullify his power and slow him down.

Amazing how Conor and his coaches had no plan to counter this, arrogance and ignorance all in one.

Updating the software without damaging the hardware didn't seem to work this time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Dan Hardy identified it weeks ago about using the calf kick on Conor's lead leg to nullify his power and slow him down.

Amazing how Conor and his coaches had no plan to counter this, arrogance and ignorance all in one.

McGregor & Kavanagh identified and used it themselves in the 2nd Diaz fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

froog wrote: »
    yup, i mean it's not some exotic super secret tactic, it's a basic enough move and has been seen in plenty of big fights. not being able to deal with it effectively is damning on the coaching team.

In Conor's post fight press conference, he sounded so surprised at the calf kick, it was like he'd never seen or heard of a calf kick before.

You'd just wonder what gameplan did they prepare for from Dustin.
    Looks like they didn't factor in what his tactics would be at all.

I know when Conor lost to Khabib he made comments about the gameplan and training and felt too much time was spent on worrying about what Khabib was gonna do and that took from his own game.

This approach with Dustin looks like Conor took the opposite approach and didn't consider what his opponent would do at all.

Dan Hardy War Room from 2 weeks ago. https://youtu.be/Z70alrp6SZA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I had a feeling Conor lost when my phone's news page didn't have updates on it.

Dustin essentially finished 2 opponents last night. Conor and Dana. If Dustin had won by judge's decision you can bet Dana would have been out with excuses not to give him a title shot. Because he finished Conor, Dana has no excuse now to deny him one.

In Conor's post fight press conference, he sounded so surprised at the calf kick, it was like he'd never seen or heard of a calf kick before.

You'd just wonder what gameplan did they prepare for from Dustin.
    Looks like they didn't factor in what his tactics would be at all.

I know when Conor lost to Khabib he made comments about the gameplan and training and felt too much time was spent on worrying about what Khabib was gonna do and that took from his own game.

This approach with Dustin looks like Conor took the opposite approach and didn't consider what his opponent would do at all.

Dan Hardy War Room from 2 weeks ago. https://youtu.be/Z70alrp6SZA

Also looked like he was surprised by Poirier taking him down in the 1st round, McGregor usually has good takedown defence. Again not something they had prepared for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor by Sub
    conor was great when when cutting ridiculous amounts of weight at FW. but let's be honest he's bang average at LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor by Sub
    Fell asleep on the sofa and woke up with Sinnead O' Connor .......in a half daze the dreaded thought came over me he's gonna lose this, had flashbacks of Khabib and Diaz I ...........just all looked very flat, he looked in shape but oddly didn't at the same time..............where he goes from here who knows, would be a big shame to go out like this

Dana White must be sick, without names like McGregor, Khabib and Jones to some extent the UFC will never be a big sell to a wider audience, back to being an 'undercard sport'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Whatever way ya cut it McGregor in his raw hungry prime would have put Poirier away again. The hunger is gone and the game has move on. IMO this was his last UFC fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Fell asleep on the sofa and woke up with Sinnead O' Connor .......in a half daze the dreaded thought came over me he's gonna lose this, had flashbacks of Khabib and Diaz I ...........just all looked very flat, he looked in shape but oddly didn't at the same time..............where he goes from here who knows, would be a big shame to go out like this

Dana White must be sick, without names like McGregor, Khabib and Jones to some extent the UFC will never be a big sell to a wider audience, back to being an 'undercard sport'

People said the same after Liddell, Couture et al and then Lesnar came along, then Rousey and McGregor. Now we have Shevchenko, Nunes etc. It always evolves. So many gyms in the world now. More stars will come along.

Maybe the sport has passed McGregor by? Cant just box forever. Just like Ronda couldn't just do judo forever.
    Whatever way ya cut it McGregor in his raw hungry prime would have put Poirier away again. The hunger is gone and the game has move on. IMO this was his last UFC fight.

The difference in hunger and energy compared to say Chandler in the fight before is very obvious.

That said maybe this is the kick he needs. Hes 33 this year. Wouldnt surprise me to see him asking for a fight asap with whoever is available. Theres been no real consistency or momentum in his career since Aldos face hit the deck 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poirier by Sub
    Any idea on fight night weights for the lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Pop psychology: showing up with your wife and young children to a busines trip isn't a good look for a professional approach.

Seriously though, I think we've established Conors level, he isn't that generational talent like Jones or Khabib. He is a championship level fighter who can win or lose against the top level depending on the night or the match up. He is 3 and 3 in MMA since moving away from 145. If you look back at his career he probably could have taken better care of himself, should have moved to a big American gym and definately should have stayed more active but even then he is always liable to being caught by a bad match up and he is never beating Khabib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

walshb wrote: »
    Any idea on fight night weights for the lads?

Just spoke to a huge McGregor fan who said Conor was 155lbs and Dustin was 255lbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

McGregor by Sub
    Dustin has dismissed the notion of him fighting chandler for the belt.

It'll be interesting to see who fights for it but pretty sure it has to be dustin v somebody

Poirier by Sub
    The Nal wrote: »
    Just spoke to a huge McGregor fan who said Conor was 155lbs and Dustin was 255lbs.

256 I heard!!!😅

Poirier by Sub
    Just rewatching now..Hooker was abysmal!!!

Did nothing and then got taken out.

Poirier by Sub
    mailburner wrote: »

It'll be interesting to see who fights for it but pretty sure it has to be dustin v somebody

He had a point, but he used his win v Hooker as some reasoning

Hooker and Poirier fought a hard close fight.

Chandler easily dispatched Hooker..

McGregor by Sub
    poirer sounded weak in his callouts, no mention of khabib and dismissed chandler. he should be calling out everyone after that win.

McGregor by Sub
    mailburner wrote: »

Will be interesting alright, not a snowball's chance Khabib is coming back for that fight ........the money nor kudos is there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

poirer sounded weak in his callouts, no mention of khabib and dismissed chandler. he should be calling out everyone after that win.

Dont agree . They should be calling him out now

McGregor by Sub
    People said the same after Liddell, Couture et al and then Lesnar came along, then Rousey and McGregor. Now we have Shevchenko, Nunes etc. It always evolves. So many gyms in the world now. More stars will come along.

Was still something of a niche sport back then, the latter names you mentioned opened it up to a worldwide audience .........I just don't see any 'characters' around now who could have the same effect ........they could come along or maybe a few once in a lifetimes came along together not to be repeated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

McGregor by Sub
    Delighted Poirier won.
    Dana was bang on with the Rocky 3 reference regarding McGregor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Poirier on Pts
    Now we have Shevchenko, Nunes etc. It always evolves.

UFC can't sustain itself with female fighters as the main draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

McGregor for the most part beat up smaller guys with a heavy left hand.

When it came to heavier guys, or those with a ground game he couldn't cope. He does not have a top class ground game. Was too scared even to go to ground in Diaz II.

Didn't defend either title even once. "Retired" 3 times already.
    Nothing he showed last night suggests he'll do anything of note again.

And he really doesn't want anything of Khabib again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Poirier on Pts
    Rodin wrote: »
    Was too scared even to go to ground in Diaz II.

Why would he even bother to try and take on Diaz on the ground, knowing Diaz would be better than him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Conors hunger and confidence has really wained in the last few years. Its also difficult to paint him as a main event now unless its a Porier/Diaz rematch which I'm not sure Conor will fancy. A long hiatus will do him no favours either.

Its also time to jump to a new trainer. Hes done well with SBG but needs a freshness to his camp at this point (arguably needed it two years ago)

McGregor by Sub
    duffman13 wrote: »
    Conors hunger and confidence has really wained in the last few years. Its also difficult to paint him as a main event now unless its a Porier/Diaz rematch which I'm not sure Conor will fancy. A long hiatus will do him no favours either.

Its also time to jump to a new trainer. Hes done well with SBG but needs a freshness to his camp at this point (arguably needed it two years ago)

But changing camp is a sign of weakness according to someone.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

walshb wrote: »
    Just rewatching now..Hooker was abysmal!!!

Did nothing and then got taken out.

It was a terrible performance. All he did was circle away and threw kicks from out of range, just connecting with his toes.

It was like a human sacrifice.

I don't think that fight told us much about Chandler, other than he now holds the UFC backflip height record !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

McGregor by Sub
    Yeah, with all the talk of McGregor's unexpected KO loss, I feel like Chandler absolutely annihilating Dan Hooker isn't getting the attention it deserves. He didn't just win, he made Hooker look like an amateur totally out of his depth.

Always liked watching him in Bellator and to be fair, he's only really lost one fight in years in my eyes, against Pitbull, himself an incredible fighter.

The Primus thing was a freak leg injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

would love to see the final diaz fight before he calls it a day, mcgregor was arguably lucky to win the 2nd and as much as I loved seeing him lose tonight, diaz setting the record straight would be even more perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor by Sub
    Diaz next in the summer would be my guess and maybe a Poirier rematch at the end of the year

McGregor by Sub
    am i the only one with zero interest in diaz 3? i mean who cares? trilogy fights should be for serious grudge matches or legitimate questions over who is top of the division. diaz 3 is neither of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

am i the only one with zero interest in diaz 3? i mean who cares? trilogy fights should be for serious grudge matches or legitimate questions over who is top of the division. diaz 3 is neither of those.

Another man as inactive as Conor, fought about twice in the 4 years since.

McGregor by Sub
    Another man as inactive as Conor, fought about twice in the 4 years since.

meh. i want to see ferguson mcgregor. that would be fun as fcuk.

Absolutely pointless fight imo, I find the hype around it baffling. Makes sense for the fighters to top up their pension funds but a win for either in that fight does nothing to further their position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Same. That was 4.5 years ago and both have been hugely inactive since. No interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

xtal191 wrote: »
    Diaz next in the summer would be my guess and maybe a Poirier rematch at the end of the year

Poirier is potentially the next division champ, what will McGregor have done to deserve a title shot then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Anyone see the video on the UFC Europe Instagram channel of Dave Fogarty walking into a pole whilst photographing Conor walking into the arena? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Amazing that Conor has got to this stage of his career without effectively being able to check leg kicks. Really reflects badly on his camp. It should be second nature for a striker like him. He was limping very heavily after the fight. No wonder he got KO'd really as he had lost mobility almost completely by the middle of the 2nd round and couldn't move laterally at all. He just moved back onto the cage and let Dustin tee off on him as he couldn't get out of the way with his busted calf.

He'd be a great project for a different camp but he seems very stuck in his ways so will probably just keep doing what he's always done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I can't see anything other than Dana coming out in the next few days singing about how awesome Chandler was. The UFC were banking on Kahbib, Conner, Ribbas as 2021 stars and revenue earners.

I can't help thinking there is an air of stagnation than needs blowing away. We can expect to see the HW getting the short term focus.

Shelby has his work cut out in them LW division.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Hooker seemed to be going "lets see what you got", tried to be too smart, and next thing the fight is over without him even throwing a punch. He'll be more furious than anyone after this. Big chance in the limelight and he doesn't even compete. Gutting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Jersey Puller

Right I’ve re watched it now 3 times and i will offer my amateur opinion . I think he needed to bring it back to basics for this camp instead of adding more variables . Go back old school .
    Phil Sutcliffe top top boxing coach but not MMA . He gave advice between rounds about lead jab or something when the poor divil’s leg was getting chopped up . His nutritionist and s and c guys need to be held accountable , he was too small and his conditioning seemed way off . There is no doubt he put huge effort into this preparation but he was way off . As someone said earlier maybe too many yes men around him . I’m truly gutted as I’ve never seen him move as cumbersome as that . Call me crazy but I still think he can come back and get a few Ws. Be great if there was a 150 pound division . He seemed to really be leaning into his shots like Diaz 1 but Dustin wasn’t budging would I be right in saying that’s the first time he’s been knocked out ? 😊

He mentioned "family" and his foundation (presumably that's some sort of charity or something?) - said he wasn't interested in the whole lead-up to the match this time - so, two ways to look at it- he's lost interest and will retire, or is feigning lack of interest in the hope of a bigger pot, just like McGregor has done a number of times. Wouldn't be surprised if a "retirement tweet" appeared soon, followed by a come-back later.

He's earned a few more fans this evening in fairness to him.

Poirier by Sub
    BrentMused wrote: »
    Anyone see the video on the UFC Europe Instagram channel of Dave Fogarty walking into a pole whilst photographing Conor walking into the arena? :pac:

Jaysus...

Can you post it?

snotboogie wrote: »
    Pop psychology: showing up with your wife and young children to a busines trip isn't a good look for a professional approach.

Seriously though, I think we've established Conors level, he isn't that generational talent like Jones or Khabib. He is a championship level fighter who can win or lose against the top level depending on the night or the match up. He is 3 and 3 in MMA since moving away from 145. If you look back at his career he probably could have taken better care of himself, should have moved to a big American gym and definately should have stayed more active but even then he is always liable to being caught by a bad match up and he is never beating Khabib.

All the highly publicised distractions off the cage can't help - not just the publicity- it's reflective that he's just not focused in the way a winning athlete needs to be- we saw it with Tiger Woods; the mental game is as important.
    Also I wonder did the Mayweather fight have any long-term brain affects- not beyond the bounds of possibility-he certainly received head trauma in that fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Amazing that Conor has got to this stage of his career without effectively being able to check leg kicks. Really reflects badly on his camp. It should be second nature for a striker like him. He was limping very heavily after the fight. No wonder he got KO'd really as he had lost mobility almost completely by the middle of the 2nd round and couldn't move laterally at all. He just moved back onto the cage and let Dustin tee off on him as he couldn't get out of the way with his busted calf.

He'd be a great project for a different camp but he seems very stuck in his ways so will probably just keep doing what he's always done.

Have you ever had to check a leg kick? It still hurts like ****.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He mentioned "family" and his foundation (presumably that's some sort of charity or something?) - said he wasn't interested in the whole lead-up to the match this time - so, two ways to look at it- he's lost interest and will retire, or is feigning lack of interest in the hope of a bigger pot, just like McGregor has done a number of times. Wouldn't be surprised if a "retirement tweet" appeared soon, followed by a come-back later.

He's earned a few more fans this evening in fairness to him.

In the post fight press conference he said the only part he loved was the fight and he spent a lot of time talking about how he hated being stuck in the hotel for 2 weeks. So, I wouldn't say he is going to retire. Saying that, he probably made millions last night so who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

McGregor by Sub
    Right I’ve re watched it now 3 times and i will offer my amateur opinion . I think he needed to bring it back to basics for this camp instead of adding more variables . Go back old school .
    Phil Sutcliffe top top boxing coach but not MMA . He gave advice between rounds about lead jab or something when the poor divil’s leg was getting chopped up . His nutritionist and s and c guys need to be held accountable , he was too small and his conditioning seemed way off . There is no doubt he put huge effort into this preparation but he was way off . As someone said earlier maybe too many yes men around him . I’m truly gutted as I’ve never seen him move as cumbersome as that . Call me crazy but I still think he can come back and get a few Ws. Be great if there was a 150 pound division . He seemed to really be leaning into his shots like Diaz 1 but Dustin wasn’t budging would I be right in saying that’s the first time he’s been knocked out ? 😊

The solution to that is a new pro team that penalise for discipline and are in charge, can’t have a fighter in charge. He’s fallen behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

As Conor said himself, he needs to be more active. So if he gets the finger out and gets 3-4 fights under his belt then nothing will stop him....except khabib

In the post fight press conference he said the only part he loved was the fight and he spent a lot of time talking about how he hated being stuck in the hotel for 2 weeks. So, I wouldn't say he is going to retire. Saying that, he probably made millions last night so who knows.

I agree he won't retire, and i think not alone his win, but his press conference alone made him more bankable - now add his foundation that he mentioned (link below) and you've got a perfect American athlete for the Biden era presidency :D

https://www.thegoodfightgroup.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Poirier on Pts
    Voted for the right person but by sub instead of tko. Conor is done as a top contender imo. He's been beaten on the ground and on the feet. LW roster is full of killers even without Khabib.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement