Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Esse85 wrote: »

You'd just wonder what gameplan did they prepare for from Dustin.

He thought he was going to walk in and KO Dustin in less than a minute. That was his sole gameplan and nothing to fall back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Even though Mc Gregor was beaten, how much did he get for the fight?

Some stories circulating in the press before the fight mentioned that Mc Gregor was offered $30 million USD?

Will Mc Gregor retire now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

kravmaga wrote: »
    Even though Mc Gregor was beaten, how much did he get for the fight?

Some stories circulating in the press before the fight mentioned that Mc Gregor was offered $30 million USD?

Will Mc Gregor retire now?

Why would he retire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

All the highly publicised distractions off the cage can't help - not just the publicity- it's reflective that he's just not focused in the way a winning athlete needs to be- we saw it with Tiger Woods; the mental game is as important.
    Also I wonder did the Mayweather fight have any long-term brain affects- not beyond the bounds of possibility-he certainly received head trauma in that fight

I wonder if the civil case against him being announced on fight week had any effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

The Nal wrote: »
    .... So many gyms in the world now. More stars will come along......

Not from SBG they won't...... No more books from that gob****e thankfully

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Why would he retire?

You didnt answer though?

You answered a question with a question?

if you dont know the answer , then dont reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Not from SBG they won't...... No more books from that gob****e thankfully

"Win or..... sit around on your hole for 11 months of the year"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

McGregor by Sub
    I thought Khabib was there for the taking until maybe two years ago

You didnt answer though?

You answered a question with a question?

if you dont know the answer , then dont reply.

What am I supposed to be answering exactly?
    I'm asking why he would retire, you haven't given a reason yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    As Conor said himself, he needs to be more active. So if he gets the finger out and gets 3-4 fights under his belt then nothing will stop him....except khabib

Get 3-4 fights against fighters he has a chance of beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    As Conor said himself, he needs to be more active. So if he gets the finger out and gets 3-4 fights under his belt then nothing will stop him....except khabib

Some take that

What am I supposed to be answering exactly?
    I'm asking why he should retire, you haven't given a reason yet.

I asked how much did he get for the fight?

I asked will he retire now?

You seem to have some insight? Yes or No?

Well Im no expert on MMA, thats why I asked in the 1st place.

If you cant answer , thats fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

McGregor by Sub
    If Khabib is not coming back I'd like to see the following match ups:

Poirier v Oliveira
    Gaethje v Chandler
    Ferguson v Hooker
    McGregor v Dos Anjos

While I don't think McGregor is anywhere near finished, and some of the nonsense spouted here by some is laughable in that regard, the air of invincibility he once had is now completely gone. Fighters will no longer be fearing him.

I reckon McGregor's next fight should be a co-main to whoever is fighting for the lightweight title. That's the best way to progress him from here at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Wonder will Kavanagh be on the Aerial Helwani show early this week?

Doubtful is my view as his fighter got TKO'd.

Since the Alvarez fight, Conor had a decision to make, either (A) get mega rich and put time and effort into other avenues like once off boxing bouts, whiskey brands, clothing labels etc

Or (B) chase the journey of becoming the undisputed GOAT in MMA and the financial payoff will be a fraction of the above.

But you cannot do both.

Conor choose the insane money route. In 2013 he said he wanted to buy his mother a mansion and his GF a new car for every day of the week. He's achieved all that and more.

He has nothing left to achieve in MMA, only his ego and need to be in the limelight are preventing him from leaving the sport because if he loved the sport that much, he would not of turned his back on it during his peak years.

Greed took over and coming from nothing while surrounding yourself with the wrong type of people leads you to make those decisions.

McGregor by Sub

$5m flat appearance fee plus aprx $25-30m from the PPV sales.

No he won't retire, he has stated this multiple times both pre and post fight already.

• Advertisement

Not sure where you got I have insight from me asking why he would retire. No one except him and the UFC know how much he got, and probably the tax man.
    I was asking why would he retire after a loss. This is MMA, everyone loses eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Realistically he'll fall into irrelevancy once he retires and the whiskey/fashion business ventures will take a big hit with it. He'll be fighting for for as long as he can keep people watching.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    $5m flat appearance fee plus aprx $25-30m from the PPV sales.

No he won't retire, he has stated this multiple times both pre and post fight already.

Thanks for answering my questions, 1st time posting in MMA forum, Im no expert.

Nice money with the PPV sales so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Hopefully this means, people will stop giving time to this animal....

Not sure where you got I have insight from me asking why he would retire. No one except him and the UFC know how much he got, and probably the tax man.
    I was asking why would he retire after a loss. This is MMA, everyone loses eventually.

Its okay, take a chill pill and smoke a J dude.

You dont know the answers, another poster does.

So not sure why your even posting on the MMA forum if you havent got a clue what your taking about.

Id say your a bundle of joy to work with.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

He's a ****ebag, hope he ****s off now and stops embarrassing himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

walshb wrote: »
    Jaysus...

Can you post it?

Hopefully this will work:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKai8Omlvi9/

Its okay, take a chill pill and smoke a J dude.

You dont know the answers, another poster does.

So not sure why your even posting on the MMA forum if you havent got a clue what your taking about.

Id say your a bundle of joy to work with.:rolleyes:

Again I was asking a question, what's not chill about it? Another poster took a reasonable guess at what he made, like I said only the UFC, Conor and the tax man know the exact amount.

I'm still wondering why he would retire?

I'm posting cos I'm an MMA fan, is that not allowed anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

He really looks like hes devolved as a fighter. Traditional boxer type fighters are 10 a penny, and normally get handled if they dont have great wrestling.

Flowy, loose, capoeira style conor, with superb boxing fundamentals was a much more difficult to read, far more formiddable opponent.

Maybe its 155 that doesnt suit him too. He never looked like he would tire at 145 (except Mendes fight where he was injured). Since moving up he looks bulky and his movement more laboured.

Dustin's a naturally much bigger guy too. Hooker said he was 183 fight night when they fought. Conor I believe was probably 160ish - extrapolating from interviews. -Kavanagh did say he thought they would weigh the same fight night which I dont believe, and frankly strikes of a a guy that just hasn't done his homework.

Theres a bit of an arrogance about the whole team now as well imo, it is understanble when they have performed so well, but with this loss it does raise some questions about game planning, conditioning and coaching. He needs to drop sutcliffe imo or at least limit his role going forward. Traditional boxing is just too dissimilar to mma boxing.

I'll still be looking forward to his next fight anyway, let's hope he can make the right adjustments and make a good comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor by Sub

Poirier v Oliveira
    Gaethje v Chandler
    Ferguson v Hooker
    McGregor v Dos Anjos

While I don't think McGregor is anywhere near finished, and some of the nonsense spouted here by some is laughable in that regard, the air of invincibility he once had is now completely gone. Fighters will no longer be fearing him.

I reckon McGregor's next fight should be a co-main to whoever is fighting for the lightweight title. That's the best way to progress him from here at this stage.

Big John and Josh Thomson podcast reckon if Khabib retires and McGregor doesn't it will look something like

Poirier/Oliveira title fight

Chandler/Ferguson
    McGregor/Gaethje

winner of both face off for a title shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McGregor by Sub
    sonofenoch wrote: »
    Big John and Josh Thomson podcast reckon if Khabib retires and McGregor doesn't it will look something like

Poirier/Oliveira title fight

Chandler/Ferguson
    McGregor/Gaethje

winner of both face off for a title shot

One thing for sure is C9nor wil get to pick his next opponent, As long as its not whoever is lined upfor the title Dana will let him pick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

McGregor by Sub
    Thanks for answering my questions, 1st time posting in MMA forum, Im no expert.

Nice money with the PPV sales so.

I suggest then your read the charter and take a chill pill yourself, insulting others will quickly find you out the door otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor by Sub
    One thing for sure is C9nor wil get to pick his next opponent, As long as its not whoever is lined upfor the title Dana will let him pick

Regardless of how it's worked out, the winner of that double header would be deserving of a shot .........if Conor loses out you'd think that would be him finally done (if not already)

that title fight looks the right one at this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

McGregor by Sub
    Casual fan here, just listening to Conor in the press countertenor afterwards and it seemed like calf kicks were a totally new thing. The way he was talking about them seemed odd.
    Would it not have been bread and butter training to defend these?

Second question. Will he have to do down the fighter list with his next opponent to get a few wins under belt - and in doing so, remove his name from the belt conversation?

Conor picked Poirier over social media to be fair. Didn't work out too well for him. Maybe let the matchmakers do their job for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Casual fan here, just listening to Conor in the press countertenor afterwards

You're not a casual fan if you're watching the post fight presser. You're a fan.

"Casual" seems to be a tag only in MMA and its exclusionary and cringing and needs to be binned.

But yeah. Surprised he didn't see the low kicks coming.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Conors hunger and confidence has really wained in the last few years.

It's funny how Mayweather, Pacquiao, De La Hoya, Canelo etc can make hundreds of millions yet never lose their hunger to be great. You've either got it or you don't I suppose but I think McGregor's clear limitations as a fighter are the biggest reason for his failures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Second question. Will he have to do down the fighter list with his next opponent to get a few wins under belt - and in doing so, remove his name from the belt conversation?

I'd have assumed so, but as many have pointed out over the years (and I'm saying this as a McGregor fan) Dana has torn up convention on this several times for the sake of getting the explosive moneymaker title fights featuring Conor, so it's not easy to say.

One thing is for certain though - Conor himself would be insane to accept a fight like that without climbing the ladder again first. Whatever else one can say about last night, at the very least it proved once again that prolonged inactivity has not been good for him and he needs to work himself back up to where he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

You’re not wrong, and he is wrong in saying a Khabib return wouldn’t get the viewership but it’s not very entertaining just watching grappling, rolling around on the mat trying to choke your opponent out.
    kona wrote: »
    Becsuse hes a leg humper and nobody is going to stay up till 5am to watch him do that. Its horrendous stuff.

Why do you watch MMA?

If you just want to watch stand-up striking, watch kickboxing or Muay Thai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Poirier on Pts
    How did the ole ole crowd get in last night? or were they piping that in? I do be scarleh when they start that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Awful performance by McGregor. His cardio problems have never/cant be fixed. Its really over for him now. Any light weight with a decent game plan should defeat him easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

How did the ole ole crowd get in last night? or were they piping that in? I do be scarleh when they start that carry on.

Dubai is full of Irish ex-pats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

McGregor by Sub

I know a few that travelled over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Awful performance by McGregor. His cardio problems have never/cant be fixed. Its really over for him now. Any light weight with a decent game plan should defeat him easily.

Regarding the cardio. It never was an issue at 145. It could be the extra muscle he puts on or that knee injury which limits his roadwork.

His whole energy management system seems off too. Just to use running as an analogy; he doesnt sprint any more, instead it's more like hes trying to keep a 5k pace for the whole fight and conserve energy.

Its the worst of both worlds for him. He looks sluggish, and stuck in second gear, and then doesnt utilize his explosiveness, which was his best attribute imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor by Sub
    2 days ago, EA Sports UFC 4 added the calf kick to the game. With all their ads this week, i wouldn't be surprised if they paid Dustin to spam the calf kick :pac:

Hearing Conor say he never experienced those kicks, I wish he'd get some top competition in sparring. Was funny when he said he heard Thiago say "good kick!" And Conor thought "ya bastard, that was a good kick" :)

McGregor by Sub
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    2 days ago, EA Sports UFC 4 added the calf kick to the game. With all their ads this week, i wouldn't be surprised if they paid Dustin to spam the calf kick :pac:

Hearing Conor say he never experienced those kicks, I wish he'd get some top competition in sparring. Was funny when he said he heard Thiago say "good kick!" And Conor thought "ya bastard, that was a good kick" :)

He seemed to be sparring too many boxers (not MMA fighters) who wouldn't even know how to throw leg kicks.

Plus that outside calf kick is something a little different that you see more with two lefties facing off and not so much in orthodox v southpaw. He should have been better prepared though. I definitely don't buy into him being overly exhausted though. At the end of that first Dustin looked more tired than Conor did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

McGregor by Sub

Poirier v Oliveira
    Gaethje v Chandler
    Ferguson v Hooker
    McGregor v Dos Anjos

All of those are the most ideal matches anyone could come up with and
    all make so much sense

I've a feeling Oliveira might lose out to the bigger name in Chandler and the possiblility of a bigger ppv card
    There's no way Dustin will turn down the opportunity for gold if chandler gets the nod.

poirier chandler would be a war I think but Oliveira could possibly
    finish dustin for me.
    I hope it's Oliveira, really should be next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

McGregor by Sub
    Jaysus...

Can you post it?

expected more in fairness :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poirier by Sub
    mailburner wrote: »

expected more in fairness :D

Yes. Looks like his camera bumped it.

I was hoping for some lad flat on his back getting the last rites!😅

Poirier by Sub
    Anyone listen to the post fight presser..

It’s all about the dead leg...and a bit of inactivity thrown in

Sounds more like he blaming the dead leg as it it was an injury as opposed to being inflicted on him by Dustin

Begrudgingly praising Dustin...

It’s like a lot of fighters...there are always excuses even though it’s he first thing they say, no excuses.......but!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

That's good to know, but the fight was in Abu Dhabi ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Sounds more like he blaming the dead leg as it it was an injury as opposed to being inflicted on him by Dustin

It’s like a lot of fighters...there are always excuses even though it’s he first thing they say, no excuses.......but!

Yep, it certainly was emotional night.

Dana not happy.
    Conner not happy.
    Dustin happy(ish) - but did not seem anything like someone who just beat Conner.

Everyone seemed deflated..

He's definitely attributing Dustin with doing the damage on the leg.
    To be fair, those kicks are horrible to deal with. You basically lose the use of your leg, ****s up everything else then as you can't plant it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Sorry to ask a daft question - but how was there an audience at fight ?

Poirier by Sub
    He's definitely attributing Dustin with doing the damage on the leg.
    To be fair, those kicks are horrible to deal with. You basically lose the use of your leg, ****s up everything else then as you can't plant it properly.

Yes, of course he throws in every so often about Dustin and the legs

But I got a real sense that he is almost making it out as a bit of an inconvenient way to lose

Similar to to cut eye in boxing...and the fight getting stopped..

Oh, if my leg wasn’t deadened I wouldn’t have lost.....

The dead leg is the reason for his loss, and oh yes, Dustin kicked it, and because it went dead I couldn’t then perform, and hence I got beaten.

He’s certainly not alone in wanting to find excuses for losing. Combat sports losses are tougher to take than losses in other type sports. It’s a very intimate and physical and raw thing..accepting a man beat you physically down..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement