Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor by Sub
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Some crazy stuff being said here like that McGregor should be no higher than a co-main in his next fight. That'll never happen, he's too big for that.
    I agree with those saying he needs to go with one of the top teams to prepare for his next fight.
    His inactivity and lack of defense against the kicks have to be considered as major factors in that loss.
    As regards the belt I think it should be Poirier and Chandler. Hookers last two fights were against those two and there's no doubt who was more impressive.
    I'd like to see Gaethje face Oliveira and the winner of that face the winner of Poirier/Chandler.
    McGregor's next fight will be one of Ferguson, Holloway and Diaz I think. He'll need to win that and another fight to get his third fight with Poirier which might be his retirement payday.

Poireir said he's not entertaining Chandler, undeserving after 1 fight.............would rather go and sell his sauce than make that fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

sonofenoch wrote:
    Poireir said he's not entertaining Chandler, undeserving after 1 fight.............would rather go and sell his sauce than make that fight

Well Poirier doesn't decide who gets the title shot.
    There's two leading candidates right now and they are Chandler and Oliveira.
    Chandler destroyed Hooker, Poirier beat him over the distance.
    Chandler said all the right things the other night. He called out Poirier and McGregor, he talked about how great the UFC is, Dana will love that.
    Oliveira beat Tony who looks finished. Oliveira and Gaethje makes sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

McGregor by Sub
    It surely must be a new level of illogical McGregor hatred that we have someone in the thread attempting to argue that the kicks played no role in the Porier win, well earned and deserved as it was.

Porier saw it, McGregor felt it, Poriers coaches saw it, the commentators saw it, the experts saw it, most fans saw it....but no, apparently the kicks were nothing to do with it.

Very strange. Isn't it just easier to kinda go with the facts and say that McGregor was completely outclassed by a more strategic, intelligent fighter who is way, way better rounded than he is.

He wasn't unlucky, he wasn't caught, he wasn't gassed out, it wasn't a stylistic match-up issue, he was just soundly, completely beaten by a better game plan that negated his narrow-but-excellent skills.

McGregor went in there poorly prepared and too reliant on striking. If Porier was equally as one dimensional, that probably would have worked as he is a better technical and more powerful striker, but it was a terrible gameplan.

He was actually better prepared for Khabib. Showed reasonably OK TDD considering who he was fighting. Lasted until round 4, a lot longer than many of Khabib's opponents.

Not sure what happened with Dustin but he went in there like it was a straight up boxing match and seemed fairly clueless, as did his team, as to what to do with the calf kicks. In fact his corner didn't even mentioned them after Round 1.

It's like he watched the Dan Hooker war and thought "well I can hit way harder and more accurate than that guy, so I'll be grand". And to be fair a lot of us probably thought something similar.

But it was really disappointing to see him like a deer in the headlights with those kicks. It will make his next fight incredibly interesting though.

People going overboard with Conor being done or not capable as well. Nothing in that fight that can't be easily sorted if Conor wants to sort it and make changes, he's still a good and powerful striker. The good and the best take losses.

As I've said, Dan Hooker went a 5 round war with Porier and gave him some serious adversity.....then gets creased by Michael Chandler without doing anything whatsoever in R1. Sometimes these things just happen.

Conor should fight Tony or Justin next. He needs to determine where he lies in the division. Diaz III I wouldn't be wild about at all.

Realistically he's just more than likely a "good" fighter in a talented division at this stage. But having said that, there is literally zero shame in having a competitive/good round in R1 against the #1 in the world and getting bested in the 2nd by a superior, more well-rounded gameplan.

Better fighters than McGregor have lost far more badly than he did. It happens all the time. It is the fight game.

As a side note, what's up with Dan Hooker, has there been any statement made, by anyone? I feel terrible for him. Combine the terrible loss with the months of quarantine and not seeing his family....I would say he's not in a good place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Poirier by Sub
    If I were McG I'd jack in the fighting game and make a load more cash doing action movies - he seems more interested living a luxurious lifestyle so he'll need to finance that long term.

Had Poirier for a TKO, got great odds too.

If he ever got a rematch with Khabib, and based on merit he doesn't deserve it, he would be murdered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McGregor by Sub
    Dana will make Dustin v Chandler for the belt,
    Dustin said he is not interested but he will not turn down a title fight,

The reason Dana will make it is because he will hope that Chandler ko's Dustin in devastating fashion to tempt Khabib out of retirement,

Chandler to the fair weather fans has the new kid on the block appeal , He is a clean cut American who can supposedly wrestle, perfect foe for Khabibs 30-0 fight ps Khabib record should not be 29-0 but that's a different discussion ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poirier by Sub
    Naos wrote: »
    I really don't get how you can interpret it any other way.

He lost because Dustin compromised his leg, it's as simple as that. It was an excellent strategy and it was executed brilliantly. He never said it was a fluke incident, he said Dustin did it.

He then went on to say he never had to deal with it before and added the inactivity piece. Calf kicks are relatively new in MMA.

Genuintely feels you like you're looking for something that's just not there.

I think our wires are crossed...

I agree that the loss came about because Dustin did the leg damage, really limited Conor's movement that then ended up with Dustin unloading and taking Conor out...I never said otherwise

My take on the presser: Conor was almost trying to spin this leg compromising as some sort of inconvenient way to lose.....he wanted to convey it as being damn bad luck....he even said he'd far rather lose from being lumped around...Of course, he threw in the odd bit of praise to Dustin for it, but that was very deliberate.....

Similar to a cut eye in boxing....it's a loss, but a fighter can cling to some sort of excuse that it wasn't really a beating because I was injured and I couldn't see, or the doctor had to then stop it....

It was really clear to me that this is what Conor was getting at

And, it's completely natural...I would likely do the same.....as would others....

It is not a dig at Conor. I have heard many fighter twist a loss to lessen how it was/felt or is perceived...

And of course, like a lot of fighters, more little excuses come out shortly after...it's human nature to want to explain a loss in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

McGregor by Sub
    Homelander wrote: »
    It surely must be a new level of illogical McGregor hatred that we have someone in the thread attempting to argue that the kicks played no role in the Porier win, well earned and deserved as it was.

Porier saw it, McGregor felt it, Poriers coaches saw it, the commentators saw it, the experts saw it, most fans saw it....but no, apparently the kicks were nothing to do with it.

Very strange. Isn't it just easier to kinda go with the facts and say that McGregor was completely outclassed by a more strategic, intelligent fighter who is way, way better rounded than he is.

He wasn't unlucky, he wasn't caught, he wasn't gassed out, it wasn't a stylistic match-up issue, he was just soundly, completely beaten by a better game plan that negated his narrow-but-excellent skills.

McGregor went in there poorly prepared and too reliant on striking. If Porier was equally as one dimensional, that probably would have worked as he is a better technical and more powerful striker, but it was a terrible gameplan.

He was actually better prepared for Khabib. Showed reasonably OK TDD considering who he was fighting. Lasted until round 4, a lot longer than many of Khabib's opponents.

Not sure what happened with Dustin but he went in there like it was a straight up boxing match and seemed fairly clueless, as did his team, as to what to do with the calf kicks. In fact his corner didn't even mentioned them after Round 1.

It's like he watched the Dan Hooker war and thought "well I can hit way harder and more accurate than that guy, so I'll be grand". And to be fair a lot of us probably thought something similar.

But it was really disappointing to see him like a deer in the headlights with those kicks. It will make his next fight incredibly interesting though.

People going overboard with Conor being done or not capable as well. Nothing in that fight that can't be easily sorted if Conor wants to sort it and make changes, he's still a good and powerful striker. The good and the best take losses.

As I've said, Dan Hooker went a 5 round war with Porier and gave him some serious adversity.....then gets creased by Michael Chandler without doing anything whatsoever in R1. Sometimes these things just happen.

Conor should fight Tony or Justin next. He needs to determine where he lies in the division. Diaz III I wouldn't be wild about at all.

Realistically he's just more than likely a "good" fighter in a talented division at this stage. But having said that, there is literally zero shame in having a competitive/good round in R1 against the #1 in the world and getting bested in the 2nd by a superior, more well-rounded gameplan.

Better fighters than McGregor have lost far more badly than he did. It happens all the time. It is the fight game.

As a side note, what's up with Dan Hooker, has there been any statement made, by anyone? I feel terrible for him. Combine the terrible loss with the months of quarantine and not seeing his family....I would say he's not in a good place.
    didn't conor target nates leg in the 2nd bout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

walshb wrote: »

I agree that the loss came about because Dustin did the leg damage, really limited Conor's movement that then ended up with Dustin unloading and taking Conor out...I never said otherwise

My take on the presser: Conor was almost trying to spin this leg compromising as some sort of inconvenient way to lose.....he wanted to convey it as being damn bad luck....he even said he'd far rather lose from being lumped around...Of course, he threw in the odd bit of praise to Dustin for it, but that was very deliberate.....

Similar to a cut eye in boxing....it's a loss, but a fighter can cling to some sort of excuse that it wasn't really a beating because I was injured and I couldn't see, or the doctor had to then stop it....

And, it's completely natural...I would likely do the same.....as would others....

It is not a dig at Conor. I have heard many fighter twist a loss to lessen how it was/felt or is perceived...

And of course, like a lot of fighters, more little excuses come out shortly after...it's human nature to want to explain a loss in life.
    I think it was more he just felt disappointed that it was the deciding factor in him losing, rather than getting wailed on til he was unconscious.
    Very smart tactic by Poirier though, he was always susceptible to low leg kicks, especially back when he had that more side on karate stance going.
    Needs to learn how to check a kick though, only needed to check one or two and Dustin would be reconsidering the approach.

It was a strange fight, he clipped him nicely a few times, but never followed up and allowed Dustin to recover.
    He caught 2 of the kicks, and did nothing with it.

Time to infollow this thread. Suffering jaysis
    You see I just read the first line or two, know exactly where it's going and just move onto the next post.
    That's unless I'd like a bit of a laugh.

Keyzer wrote:
    If he ever got a rematch with Khabib, and based on merit he doesn't deserve it, he would be murdered.
    Is this Poirier or McGregor you are talking about? Or both?

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub

I don't think he has twisted anything
    As much as I don't like the guys Conor seems to be very good at breaking down his own fights so quickly after,

He was spot on the money after Diaz one wit the reason he lost said it in the presser and then corrected it and won ,

I think he is spot on the money here again ,he was to static on the front leg and left it there to be taken out, Once it was gone he was in huge trouble,
    He gave Dustin credit for that and didn't try to take anything away from the loss,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Some pub talkers on this thread.

Poirier by Sub
    I don't think he has twisted anything
    As much as I don't like the guys Conor seems to be very good at breaking down his own fights so quickly after,

He was spot on the money after Diaz one wit the reason he lost said it in the presser and then corrected it and won ,

I think he is spot on the money here again ,he was to static on the front leg and left it there to be taken out, Once it was gone he was in huge trouble,
    He gave Dustin credit for that and didn't try to take anything away from the loss,

Again, I don't disagree....

We know why he lost....I get this....

He knows as well.

It just came across as though he was spinning it to make it sound like an inconvenient way to lose....that is all.....

And this is quite normal....

Kind of like had my leg been ok I wouldn't have lost.......that is the vibe I got...More this, than Dustin did a number on me with the leg and then took me out......

To say this would be tough....hard to admit and say....and naturally so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Is this the first time we've seen an opponent of McGregor's go in there with smart, well-honed game plan and stick to it?

Also got to wonder how much of an effect the lack of mind-games in the lead-up has on McGregor's chances. Seems it was an important weapon in his arsenal which he has now apparently given up.

walshb wrote:
    It just came across as though he was spinning it to make it sound like an inconvenient way to lose....that is all.....
    It appeared to me as though he was very frank and honest and obviously gutted. I didn't feel like he was making excuses at all. It sounded like he felt like he didn't prepare properly and paid the price.

McGregor by Sub
    It appeared to me as though he was very frank and honest and obviously gutted. I didn't feel like he was making excuses at all. It sounded like he felt like he didn't prepare properly and paid the price.

I always feel its one thing MMA has on boxing that if you lose so what ,
    Your fighting the best guys in the world every time out there a very very few gimmie fights when you reach the top 5,

I shouldn't even mentioned the bloke but what's the crack with the blonde youtube kid, I seen he was ranting and laughing at McGregor its utterly bizzare its like me playing for a Sunday league team and making a video mocking Liverpool for going out of the cup to United ,

Part of me wants to see them get absolutely no attention then part of me wants to see them get absolute butchered by a real fighter,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

weemcd wrote: »
    I wish...

:(

McGregor by Sub
    Standman wrote: »
    Is this the first time we've seen an opponent of McGregor's go in there with smart, well-honed game plan and stick to it?

Also got to wonder how much of an effect the lack of mind-games in the lead-up has on McGregor's chances. Seems it was an important weapon in his arsenal which he has now apparently given up.

true

McGregor by Sub

I did wonder myself earlier in the week about Conor's mindset not what he was doing to Dustin but more himself he seemed to lack any real spite, seemed like he was to nice

I personally think all fighters perform better with a bit of spite and venom in them Conor didn't seem to have any,

Even Khabib who rarely trash talks in the build up certainly has spite & talks sh*t when the fight starts,

I had expected in the presser for Conor to be cordial but to also say tomorrow i'll take his head off but there was nothing ,

Does it really matter who knows but I found it odd,

Anyone looking for a reason for the lose needs to look no further than the fact Dustin is a beast ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Very strange how Conor seems to know so much but doesn't use his knowledge in his performance. Calf kicks only available same stance fighters he says post fight. So Dustins calf was also there to be kicked. Conor definitely carries more of his weight in his legs than Poirier yet Conor only threw 1 leg kick...to the thigh and it was definitely effective. Why wasn't Conor throwing calf kicks back or just more leg kicks in general?

When the kicks started getting too much for Conor he was catching them to defend and just stood there with Poiriers leg wondering what the fook do I do now. Its got to be down to poor preparation. Theres plenty of times people tried calf kicks and were more badly compromised earlier than mcgregor was but they adjusted to it. Coaches too busy trying to build up Conors confidence by acting like hes the best hes ever been when thats clearly not the case.. and not enough time on actually making a realistic path to victory. And why was there no ice on his leg end of round 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I think it hit him that his best days are behind him . He cant compete at this level anymore and that his journey has ended . I genuinely think he would've broke down in tears if that Octagon interview went on 30 seconds longer .

I thought fighters who are TKO'd arent supposed to be interviewed after a fight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

weemcd wrote: »

Whats wrong with that?
    I thought fighters who are TKO'd arent supposed to be interviewed after a fight ?

KO'd. TKO is still ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The Nal wrote: »
    Whats wrong with that?

KO'd. TKO is still ok.

Ah ok cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Fair enough - while I still can't really see where you're coming from and therefore can't agree with you, I appreciate the explanation.

Let's agree to disagree :)

Poirier by Sub
    Naos wrote: »
    Fair enough - while I still can't really see where you're coming from and therefore can't agree with you, I appreciate the explanation.

Let's agree to disagree :)

Cool....

I guess it was just words and how he expressed them

BTW, as I said, I would probably be the same...

I suppose in a nutshell: He was saying that it was a loss, but not the worst type loss. My leg was compromised....and he focused on this angle.....

Had he just been beaten up and stopped, then he has very little to fall back on.....

Also, I think it is a least some comfort and ray of hope.....he can come back and win fight 3.....

It is very important for fighters to try and see some positives in their losses, at least their losses where there can be areas to exploit and be used to explain the loss...

The part where he says "I'd rather have lost by being lumped around as opposed to having a compromised leg" was very telling to me....

I would have spun it and used that exact same angle...

Although, one could reply with "but you were lumped around. Dustin kicked your leg dead and then took you out with punches."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Poirier on Pts
    Chandler deserves a title shot IMO. He's a multiple time Bellator champ and starched Hooker in 2 mins. That's enough for me. And if Poirier wants to be champ like he says he does, then he fights whoever he has to for the belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

McGregor by Sub

There's a lot of tape on him now and his weaknesses have been exposed, more chinks in the armour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub
    evil_seed wrote: »
    Chandler deserves a title shot IMO. He's a multiple time Bellator champ and starched Hooker in 2 mins. That's enough for me. And if Poirier wants to be champ like he says he does, then he fights whoever he has to for the belt.

I was thinking Oliveira. Chandler looked great at the weekend, but he did beat a figher coming off a loss.
    I'd like to see Dustin and Charlie Olives for the vacant title. Chandler v Gaethje would be a cracker and the winner could fight winner of the vacant title fight
    Then line up Conor against maybe Diaz, RDA, Tony.

I'll text Dana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Diaz been put back into the 155 ranks? Don't know how many times it has to be said, he's popular but an average fighter. He'd hardly be even top 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

rob316 wrote: »
    Diaz been put back into the 155 ranks? Don't know how many times it has to be said, he's popular but an average fighter. He'd hardly be even top 10

I know, but hes exciting, I'd actually love to see him and porier, it might not make sense title wise but it's the most fun fight for me.

I know, but hes exciting, I'd actually love to see him and porier, it might not make sense title wise but it's the most fun fight for me.

He'll be battered. He's beaten no one of note in his career bar McGregor. He's durable and has a cool gimmick but that's it.

McGregor by Sub
    rob316 wrote: »
    He'll be battered. He's beaten no one of note in his career bar McGregor. He's durable and has a cool gimmick but that's it.

Diaz is a tough fight for anyone who isn't a good wrestler,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Axwell wrote: »
    I suggest then your read the charter and take a chill pill yourself, insulting others will quickly find you out the door otherwise.

Ive replied to you via PM.

I only asked 2 questions , never posted in MMA before.

No he's not.
    Leather the lead leg with kicks and then just unload on him.
    Dustin has cardio and toughness just as good as Nates, and is a much better fighter, he'd maul him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Well wasn't the performance from McGregor that people were expecting on Saturday that's for sure - only he will know what the real issue here but there is probably multiple factor coming together that has led to the performance but overall Dustin was better prepared, had a game plan and wanted it more...it's probably been coming for a while you can't just hop in and out of MMA , across to boxing , sit inactive and expect to go through top talent in the division like a knife through butter, McGregor needs to get real at this stage and maybe it's a moment of reality for him.

He can't play mind games anymore for whatever reasons behaviour , PR whatever but that's a major part of his game plan - no matter what he has said it's clear his striking is excellent but maybe not at the level he makes out and fighters have a blueprint to counter it , his ground game hasn't been used or tested really not at the level he thinks - a lot of talk about his insight and adapting and fight IQ but we just aren't seen it be used maybe he has reached a ceiling.

The bite is gone , too much money and success he doesn't really want it... if you go back to the fight against Holloway when he blew out his knee and took the fight to the ground , adapted , didn't give up it's a different fighter to what you see now...a bit of adversity and he's tapping or going down.

• Advertisement

Masvidal battered him, hes lucky he got the doctor stoppage.

McGregor by Sub
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    No he's not.
    Leather the lead leg with kicks and then just unload on him.
    Dustin has cardio and toughness just as good as Nates, and is a much better fighter, he'd maul him.

Wow I cant believe nobody has thought of just doing that ,

You should really think about of getting into coaching

Wow I cant believe nobody has thought of just doing that ,

You should really think about of getting into coaching
    Dos Anjos did it for two rounds and then took him down to maul him in the third.
    It's not exactly a secret to beating him, Nate doesn't really check kicks either.

McGregor by Sub
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    Dos Anjos did it for two rounds and then took him down to maul him in the third.
    It's not exactly a secret to beating him, Nate doesn't really check kicks either.

RDA is a really good MMA wrestler NO ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think it hit him that his best days are behind him . He cant compete at this level anymore and that his journey has ended . I genuinely think he would've broke down in tears if that Octagon interview went on 30 seconds longer .

I don't think that is a rule, Rogan just said he wasn't gonna do it any more.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

All the armchair analysts in here who probably never trained in their life.

RDA is a really good MMA wrestler NO ?
    Who kicked the legs off Diaz for 2 rounds.
    Why do you think Conor went after Diaz's lead leg in their rematch?

Poirier would have him hobbling around by the end of the first round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Well yeah it's a internet forum you know, with a topic on a fight that people watch - same as football forums where people comment on topics despite not being elite athletes themselves.

McGregor by Sub

knob head post of the day

Poirier by Sub

I never did MMA, but that doesn't mean I (others) can't have idea and views and strategies on how humans can compete..

I know boxing coaches who have coached years that haven't a breeze....

I am sure people here can say the same for MMA coaches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

knob head post of the day

Theres always one!

Can guarantee you hes never headlined a UFC PPV so his opinion is as "armchair" as anyone elses.

Probably had a beard and got a chest tattoo in 2015 though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Did McGregor go fully unconscious? It looked likes his arms went limp for a second anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

How much did Dustin get for the fight/win?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    How much did Dustin get for the fight/win?

1m plus ppv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor by Sub
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Did McGregor go fully unconscious? It looked likes his arms went limp for a second anyway.

Looks like it for a split second

ezgif-2-ba364f466553.gif

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement