Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I think Dustin needs to be in close to Conor to land shots, I don't think Conor will allow him get in close like that as Gaethje did, therefore I think Dustin will really struggle to get within range, whereas Conor can pick you apart from anywhere and that karate style stance will serve him well.

The line up reminds me a little in the style of Adesanya and Whittaker, where Rob over reached several times and got picked off as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Is anyone else struggling to buy into the hype for this fight?

I'm usually on-board after watching the press conferences but with the whole lack of crowds, paying compliments to each other, and friendly exchanging of gifts makes it feel like a charity event or international friendly. The whole event just seems to be lacking a bit of bite.

I hope I'm wrong but it feels like a damp squib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Sorry if already discussed, but I am catching up on some coverage from during the week.

On Ariel's show, Kavanagh let slip that Conor has been training in an orthodox stance throughout this camp.

Kavanagh quickly realises he has made a massive slip of the tongue, asks Ariel if he could edit it out, Ariel agrees but it's still there as of now.

:eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

BrentMused wrote: »
    Sorry if already discussed, but I am catching up on some coverage from during the week.

On Ariel's show, Kavanagh let slip that Conor has been training in an orthodox stance throughout this camp.

Kavanagh quickly realises he has made a massive slip of the tongue, asks Ariel if he could edit it out, Ariel agrees but it's still there as of now.

:eek::pac:

Could be a bluff. Seemed a bit ham-fisted of a slip

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Poirier by Sub
    howdy folks, quick question, is the whole card on bt sports or just the first few, do I need to buy the ppv option on bt box office? I have the regular bt sports. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

McGregor by Sub
    howdy folks, quick question, is the whole card on bt sports or just the first few, do I need to buy the ppv option on bt box office? I have the regular bt sports. thanks

Prelims on BT Sports. Main card on BT Box Office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poirier by Sub

Box Office kicks off at 01:00

McGregor by Sub
    Hey man. Conor is 1/3 to win the fight, so bet 30 to win 10, not the opposite. Now you can also bet on how he will win, what round etc. I even saw 8/1 that he wins in 60 seconds. (Bet 10, win 80).
    Anyway, if you just want a small bet for a bit of fun maybe pick something with decent odds. Less likely to happen , but anything can happen in the fight game.

Bookies saying that McGregor has a 75% chance of winning.
    1/3 means bookies will win once in every 4 events. Bet €3 to win €1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Poirier by Sub
    Poll pretty overwhelming for Conor at 78-22

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

McGregor by Sub
    Is the only way to get this in Ireland through a sky box? The brother was looking to use a firestick with the BT Sport Box Office app but there doesn't seem to be a way to use it for the fight

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub
    Is the only way to get this in Ireland through a sky box? The brother was looking to use a firestick with the BT Sport Box Office app but there doesn't seem to be a way to use it for the fight

If you have a VPN you can log online onto a Dutch tv station and watch there. It's shown legally on that station free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

McGregor by Sub
    GiftofGab wrote: »
    If you have a VPN you can log online onto a Dutch tv station and watch there. It's shown legally on that station free of charge.

Yeah I seen that on here a bit earlier alright but the brother doesn't have a laptop or anything and I'm not going to try and explain a vpn to him over the phone lol Seems a bit strange to cut off potential paying customers by making them need to have a sky dish :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub
    Bookies saying that McGregor has a 75% chance of winning.
    1/3 means bookies will win once in every 4 events. Bet €3 to win €1.

That's what I said. Bet 30 to win 10 = bet 3 to win 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Going to do a wake up job for this. What time do we think the McGregor fight will kick off at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor by Sub
    I really like Dustin and would love to see him win but I honestly cant see any way he wins this fight, its gonna be another quick one for McGregor imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Dustin is high level and has some quality wins on his CV but if we are being honest this is about what level McGregor is still at. If he’s close to his best then he will most likely have too much for Dustin.

However, 2 fights in 2 years whilst not exactly living a fighters life raises a question mark. As usual, we will know where he is at early in the fight.

If he still carries the pop and the reaction speeds are still there then I think it will be over early. If not then Dustin has a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭vafankillar

Hey man. Conor is 1/3 to win the fight, so bet 30 to win 10, not the opposite. Now you can also bet on how he will win, what round etc. I even saw 8/1 that he wins in 60 seconds. (Bet 10, win 80).
    Anyway, if you just want a small bet for a bit of fun maybe pick something with decent odds. Less likely to happen , but anything can happen in the fight game.

I said bet against conor, as in dustin to win.

(this was yesterday tho havne't checked since and odds may have changed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

McGregor by Sub
    Going to do a wake up job for this. What time do we think the McGregor fight will kick off at?

About 5am irish time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

McGregor by Sub
    I'm just rewatching Poirier v Hooker and it was a crazy fight. Both lads taking full on hooks and elbows square to the jaw.

If Dustin's chin holds up that well we could be in for a cracker of a fight. Although Hooker did have him on the verge of defeat toward the end of the 2nd. If there was 10-20 seconds left in the round Hooker would have won it.

I don't see Conor staying in the pocket as much as Hooker did, and Dustin is a little wild when swinging from range. He tends to plod forward without much head movement off the center line and very littl lateral foot movement. He drops his hands a lot to readjust his shorts too, he could pay for that big time with how good Conor's timing is.

For me, for Dustin to have a chance he needs to stay out of range, don't over commit, fire some low kicks at Conor's lead leg, and then engage in the clinch up against the cage when he can and get off some dirty boxing. All that may not be enough but I reckon it's his best chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

McGregor by Sub
    Never in my life have I seen such a lovey dovey presss conference and weigh in. Even more so than against Cowboy last year.

But McGregor showed then that he can be nice & respectful but still bust you up. Be interesting to see what way Poirier is in the cage. A few people saying he looks nervous etc. Armchair psychology stuff but I’ve been getting that vibe from him in almost every interview for 2 months now. Maybe he’s like that all the time, haven’t watched interviews before his other fights tbh.

I hope we get a decent fight anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

McGregor by Sub
    mdwexford wrote: »
    What a disrespectful stupid thing to say.

Ah go away with that.

I’ve been a member of this forum long enough for people to know I don’t mean it’s a fix.

I mean I can’t see Poirier sticking out more than a few clean hits - seems rattled like the last time, just this time he’s playing a persona that they’re friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

Anyone care to PM me details on how to watch through VPN?

Ive set my location to Netherlands on my current VPN but do I need to sign in to a specific Dutch channel and if so, what is it? Bit lost

You'd be doing me a real favour

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

McGregor by Sub
    mailburner wrote: »
    There's something not right about Poirier here.
    It looks to me like he's happy to have the fight but I don't think he
    believes he can win this.

He's well able for a war here if his head is right but just a gut feeling he
    won't have the stomach for it.
    I feel if Conor got into his head like the first fight that he'd still have Dustin beaten before the fight starts....

I do however hope I'm miles off and I'd love to see Dustin win

Completely this. It’s over before it starts.

My god I could watch Dustin fighting all day but he has a level.

McGregor by Sub
    Anyone care to PM me details on how to watch through VPN?

Ive set my location to Netherlands on my current VPN but do I need to sign in to a specific Dutch channel and if so, what is it? Bit lost

You'd be doing me a real favour

Thanks

https://www.kijk.nl/programmas/ufc/gIKqbuiSm1v
    AFAIK this is the Dutch one.

Someone else posted this earlier. List of all stations showing it across the world:
    https://www.ufc.com/news/how-watch-ufc-257-poirier-vs-mcgregor-2-stream-links-start-times-and-fight-card

H8GHOTI wrote: »

Someone else posted this earlier. List of all stations showing it across the world:
    https://www.ufc.com/news/how-watch-ufc-257-poirier-vs-mcgregor-2-stream-links-start-times-and-fight-card

Thank you!

On that first Dutch link I'm getting an unable to connect error. Is this down to the fact that the channel is not live or can people access the channels content currently?

• Advertisement

Thank you!

On that first Dutch link I'm getting an unable to connect error. Is this down to the fact that the channel is not live or can people access the channels content currently?

Nevermind this post. Got it sorted out. Cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Why is this fight on so late , thought the fight island fights usually on a lot earlier than normal.3am ffs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Why is this fight on so late , thought the fight island fights usually on a lot earlier than normal.3am ffs

It's on at this time to facilitate the US market who buy the PPVs. If they had it on earlier then it could cause less people in the US to tune in and buy the PPV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They're not. Only 254 was. The rest of the PPVs at Fight Island have all been the same

Recently got rid of my sky box. Is the only way to watch this in Ireland is by physically having a skybox. The sky sports box office app and website is infuriating. Says itsopen to ROI, but only lets you sign in, not sign up. Even when following their link to sign up.

Anyways I know these posts can be annoying but this will be the first fight I miss, so please humour me 😭😭😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Dana going after streaming hosts tonight lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Vautours Ghost

Do you have to pay for this through the Dutch tv channel or is it on free there ?

McGregor by Sub
    Recently got rid of my sky box. Is the only way to watch this in Ireland is by physically having a skybox. The sky sports box office app and website is infuriating. Says itsopen to ROI, but only lets you sign in, not sign up. Even when following their link to sign up.

Anyways I know these posts can be annoying but this will be the first fight I miss, so please humour me 😭😭😭

It’s not on Sky Box Office, it’s BT Box Office but yes you need a Sky box, not available on app.

McGregor by Sub
    Do you have to pay for this through the Dutch tv channel or is it on free there ?

Free, going by what others have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Gonna stay up and watch this tonight, i have a fight pass subscription, are the main fights included in that? Can only see prelims

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Gonna stay up and watch this tonight, i have a fight pass subscription, are the main fights included in that? Can only see prelims

No

It’s not on Sky Box Office, it’s BT Box Office but yes you need a Sky box, not available on app.

Cheers, at least I know now. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Will_I_Regret

Nope. Unless by chance you were in Australia, then you can buy the PPV on Fight Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I'd be surprised (and delighted) if a vpn worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

McGregor by Sub
    I'd be surprised (and delighted) if a vpn worked.

It works.

• Advertisement

So whats the most straight forward way to watch this in Ireland lads?

McGregor by Sub
    Cheers, at least I know now. Thanks

Try this VPN solution?
    If I didn’t have Sky, I’d give that a go.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    It works.

Good chance it won't come 3am unfortunately.

McGregor by Sub
    Good chance it won't come 3am unfortunately.

Cool. People have been using it for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor by Sub
    Gonna be setting the alarm for this one, can't do full late nights anymore with a 2 year old waiting to jump on me all day Sunday, that's if i can find a way to watch. Hopefully i can stay awake/Dana doesn't get me.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Cool. People have been using it for ages.

Just can't see how the UFC would allow people to use a VPN from other regions without blocking them. Think of the revenue they'd lose. I'm hopeful it'll work myself as I don't have a skybox. We'll see.

how are ye able to even buy it on bt sport with a vpn without a uk visa card?

McGregor by Sub
    how are ye able to even buy it on bt sport with a vpn without a uk visa card?

Directly on Sky box

Directly on Sky box

So the only way to watch this in Ireland is owning a sky box? What is it 2001 ffs

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub
    Just can't see how the UFC would allow people to use a VPN from other regions without blocking them. Think of the revenue they'd lose. I'm hopeful it'll work myself as I don't have a skybox. We'll see.

I couldn't imagine they would have left no way for irish people who don't have sky to order but here we are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement