Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air fry VS Deep fry - taste comparison?

Options
  • 18-01-2021 9:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Deep fried food just hits the spot for me.

Does air frying accomplish anything similar to that?

I'm considering switching things up to prevent my apartment smelling like a chinese takeout.

If I just can't forego that wonderful deep fried taste, is an air fryer any kind of substitute?

Or is it just unequivocally a case of, "different tastes, different opinions - you gotta try it and find out"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I wouldn't compare them tbh, I've found the air fryer to be more like a crispier oven rather than anything like a deep fryer

Still very good and as a general rule I've found things to be nicer than out of the oven, but the deep fryer is in its own oily category

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

The air fryer is a rapid convection oven. It is immensely convenient - quicker and easier to clean up after than any other cooking method I've tried. It produces a great result in lots of food, including battered foods that have been briefly pre fried. It's also an amazing tool for reheating food. I highly recommend getting one.

But...it is not a deep fat fryer and won't give you the same results.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Ya'll make it sound pretty positive.

I'd prefer to just try food from it first so, as an experiment, I guess I'll invest in the cheapest available.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/logik-laf20-air-fryer-black-10205343-pdt.html

Any opinions?

40 euro, 1.6L (same capacity as deep fryer I use).

As mentioned, just looking to get cheapest entry to see if it's something I'd use long term.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I have only ever used one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07W4HGM61?ref=pd_basp_dp_primary

Delighted with it.

Bit dearer than yours but a much greater capacity.

Are you cooking for 1? Even if so I'd go for a larger capacity than 1.6l.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

I use both but use the air fryer mostly and the deep fat fryer for homemade chips when in the mood for that type of food. The air fryer is good at most things but just can't get chips the same as deep fried taste in my opinion, but would recommend the air fryer for most foods and re-heats.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

40 euro, 1.6L (same capacity as deep fryer I use).

As mentioned, just looking to get cheapest entry to see if it's something I'd use long term.
    It looks very small. Most people complain about he size fo the standard ones which are bigger than that. Many who have them recommend to get a large one. I know a few people who have 2 as 1 was not big enough. Even if cooking for 1 I do not find the standard philps to be big enough.

rubadub wrote: »
    It looks very small. Most people complain about he size fo the standard ones which are bigger than that. Many who have them recommend to get a large one. I know a few people who have 2 as 1 was not big enough. Even if cooking for 1 I do not find the standard philps to be big enough.

Ended up getting a 2 liter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GQ59Q8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Saw a few youtube reviews and seems to work fine for intended purpose.

Mostly I just used a deep fryer to cook meat for stir fries and then standard chicken/springrolls etc.

My 1.6 L deep fat fryer always has ample space for my purposes.

If the cooking basket is the same size I'd imagine it will manage; is it necessary to get a proportionality bigger air-fryer vs deep-fryer to handle the same quantity of food being cooked?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

I would say it is needed to be bigger than what a deep fryer would cook, my 3.2 litre air fryer is just the right size for 2 people so the food is cooked all over evenly.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Been using the air fryer about a week now.

Where have you been all my life?

Meat actually tastes better from an air fryer than a deep fryer, it kind of gets the skin a crispier texture, and stays moist, never dries out.
    Awesome.

Only beef I have is it takes about twice as long to cook versus the deep fat fryer (especially with frozen goods like spring rolls etc).

2L was spot on, got to give it a shake about half way through to ensure everything is cooked evenly but, I bought it to avoid the smell generated with deep frying, and it's a dramatic improvement on that.

PS - anyone else's kitchen look like appliance haven?

I've got a microwave, rice cooker, now air fryer, deep fryer, kettle and toaster in a neat row.

And all are used pretty much daily (except the deep fryer, which I'll probably only use a couple times a week now).

I only use one ring on the electric hob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

PS - anyone else's kitchen look like appliance haven?

I've got a microwave, rice cooker, now air fryer, deep fryer, kettle and toaster in a neat row.

And all are used pretty much daily (except the deep fryer, which I'll probably only use a couple times a week now).

I only use one ring on the electric hob.

I was about to say that, no, I don't use many appliances but then I thought about it.
    In a row on the counter : microwave, kettle, toaster, grinder, coffee machine.
    Spice grinder on top of the microwave, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've got a microwave, rice cooker,
    I use the microwave instead of the rice cooker. I find it more convenient and prefer the rice from it, suits smaller portions better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

rubadub wrote: »
    I use the microwave instead of the rice cooker. I find it more convenient and prefer the rice from it, suits smaller portions better too.

What’s the technique here for white rice and brown rice? I’ve seen it done before and have been impressed with the results

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

L'prof wrote: »
    What’s the technique here for white rice and brown rice? I’ve seen it done before and have been impressed with the results

I use a microwave rice cooker I bought from Aldi, but they have them on Amazon for a few euro.

Roughly 2:1 water to rice, 15 mins on high then let it sit for 5 mins to finish absorbing the water. It's not quicker than using the hob, but it has the advantage that you don't have to keep an eye on it, and it frees up a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

loyatemu wrote: »
    I use a microwave rice cooker I bought from Aldi, but they have them on Amazon for a few euro.

Roughly 2:1 water to rice, 15 mins on high then let it sit for 5 mins to finish absorbing the water. It's not quicker than using the hob, but it has the advantage that you don't have to keep an eye on it, and it frees up a ring.

Sounds perfect to me. I already don't watch it on the hob and then it boils over or burns :pac: Not watching it with no repercussions sounds ideal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

L'prof wrote: »
    Sounds perfect to me. I already don't watch it on the hob and then it boils over or burns :pac: Not watching it with no repercussions sounds ideal :D

I bought this one from Amazon a couple of years ago
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sistema-Microwave-Rice-Cooker-2-6/dp/B00BTIVNT4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=microwave+rice+cooker&qid=1612366562&s=grocery&sr=1-1
    Its really handy in that you just use the supplied measuring cup for the rice and water and then set it for 10 minutes in the microwave (750w) and it produces perfect rice every time with no need to keep an eye on it. It allows me to be chopping garlic, ginger, chillis and whatever veg is going into a stir fry without having to check the rice. At the end of cooking you just fluff the rice up and put the lid back on and let it rest for 5 minutes while cooking the stir fry. A tenner well spent.

Advertisement