Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This just amounts to another tedious both sides argument, albeit more verbose than normal.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭looksee

On the one hand I am not absolutely, 100%, convinced by E Jean Carroll, but not to the extent that I care how this affects what happens to Trump, I would fully accept that what he has said and how he has behaved in other cases makes his Carroll guilt way more than likely.

I think he is in fact 'all bad', I do not see him having one redeeming feature and he is absolutely and totally unsuited to be POTUS. I did in the early days want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but at this stage he has proved that in addition to being vain, venal and utterly dishonest, he is now a damaged, delusional and very dangerous cult leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I'll say one good thing about trump, he is one of the most transparent politicians I've ever seen. We all could see exactly who he was from the very beginning, an absolute fraud of a human being with terrible character and no moral direction beyond self gratification. There is nothing surprising about him, except that so many people voted for him. I guess maybe they identified with him? That's all that I can conclude.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Can you?

I dont think Trump is all that bad, 75m people did vote for him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

"X is bad, but they're all just as bad"

This is the same lazy both-sides scapegoat-ism I've read many, many times before defending horrendous politicians and leaders all over the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Ah I see where I slipped up.

But you don’t believe the victim in this case either, and say it’s been made up…care to expand on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anybody who can't distinguish between Trump's established "bad conduct" and whatever scurrilous nonsense is peddled about Biden has demonstrated their posts on moral judgments to be are worthless. Ditto for political judgments too given that Trump tried to steal an election. Any excuse or pretext reached for to defend a rapist and a wannabee dictator.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

@MisterAnarchy

Perhaps I am the devils advocate, I dont think Trump is all that bad, 75m people did vote for him.

Well, if you think that Trump is not all that bad because 75m people voted for him, you must think that Biden is a bit better, still, since he received 85m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

I could also add that Adolf Hitler got 17 million votes in the German 1933 election. So you know….he couldn’t have been all that bad.

Yea, yea I know….Godwin…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

All bad is what I meant to say, I corrected it quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

So you think there is some good to the rapist?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Why are all MAGA loons attempting to defend a rapist being called a rapist:

Judge clarifies: Yes, Trump was found to have raped E. Jean Carroll - The Washington Post

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭lostboy75

This crap again, quelle surprise Rodney

If your wife, sister, mother was sexually assaulted with a finger or 'any' object, would you be so casual with the definition?

Except he is.

Don't be a rapist apologist.

As is shown in the following notes, the definition of rape in the New York Penal Law is far narrower than the meaning of “rape” in common modern parlance, its definition in some dictionaries, in some federal and state criminal statutes, and elsewhere. The finding that Ms.  Carroll failed to prove that she was “raped” within the meaning of the New York Penal Law does  not mean that she failed to prove that Mr. Trump “raped” her as many people commonly understand the word “rape.” Indeed, as the evidence at trial recounted below makes clear, the jury found that Mr. Trump in fact did exactly that.

One dictionary, for example, defines rape as “unlawful sexual intercourse or any other sexual penetration of the vagina, anus, or mouth of another person, with or without force, by a sex organ, other body part, or foreign object, without the consent of the person subjected to such penetration.” “[R]ape,” Dictionary.com, https://www.dictionary.com/br owse/rape (last accessed July 14, 2023) (emphasis added).

The most recent edition of Black's Law Dictionary defines rape in part as “[u]nlawful sexual activity (esp. intercourse) with a person (usu[ally] a female) without consent and usu[ally] by force or threat of injury” and it defines “intercourse” in the sexual sense as “[p]hysical sexual contact, esp. involving the penetration of the vagina by the penis.” Black's Law Dictionary 966, 1511 (11th ed. 2019).

E.g., 10 U.S.C. § 920(g)(1)(C) (Uniform Code of Military Justice) (defining “sexual act” for purposes of rape and sexual assault as, inter alia, “the penetration, however slight, of the vulva or penis or anus of another by any part of the body or any object, with an intent to abuse, humiliate, harass, or degrade any person or to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person”) (emphasis added); Wayne R. LaFave, Subst. Crim. L., § 17.2(a) & n. 43 (3d ed.) (“In recent years, revision of rape laws have often brought about coverage of a broader range of conduct than is encompassed within the common law term ‘carnal knowledge.'... As for the acts covered, the new statutes ‘fall into three categories: those that continue the narrow notion that rape should punish only genital copulation; those that agree with the Model Code that rape laws should be expanded to include anal and oral copulation; and those that go beyond the Model Code to include digital or mechanical penetration as well as genital, anal, and oral sex.”) (emphasis added) (citing state statutes).

In fact, “rape” as defined in the relevant part of the New York Penal Law - forcible, unconsented-to penetration of the vagina by a penis - constitutes “sexual assault” under the Code of Criminal Justice of the State of New Jersey. N.J. Stat. Ann. §§ 2C:14-2c. (1) (“[a]n actor is guilty of sexual assault if the actor commits an act of sexual penetration with another person” and does so “using coercion or without the victim's affirmative and freely-given permission”) and 2C:14-1c (“‘Sexual penetration' means vaginal intercourse, cunnilingus, fellatio or anal intercourse between persons or insertion of the hand, finger or object into the anus or vagina either by the actor or upon the actor's instruction.”). New Jersey, like some other states, does not statutorily define any crime as “rape.” As indicated by the foregoing, New Jersey's penal code - unlike New York's - treats digital and other modes of penetration in the same manner as penile penetration.

The American Psychological Association, for example, defines rape as “the nonconsensual oral, anal, or vaginal penetration of an individual by another person with a part of the body or an object, using force or threats of bodily harm or taking advantage of the individual's inability to give or deny consent. U.S. laws defining rape vary by state, but the crime of rape is no longer limited to . . . vaginal penetration . . . .” APA Dictionary of Psychology, “Rape,” American Psychological Association, https://dictionary.apa.org/rape (last accessed July 14, 2023) (emphasis added).

The United States Attorney General announced in January 2012 a new definition of rape for the purpose of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Uniform Crime Report Summary Reporting System by, among other changes, “recogniz[ing] that rape with an object can be as traumatic as penile/vaginal rape.” U.S. Department of Justice, An Updated Definition of Rape, Jan. 6, 2012, https://www.justice.gov/archives/opa/blog/updated-definition-rape (new definition of “rape” as “[t]he penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim”) (emphasis added).

https://casetext.com/case/carroll-v-trump-46

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You were on about not defending Trump before and now you're defending Trump.

He's a rapist.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

And why don’t they seem to grasp that New York’s classification of Digial Rape (the use of fingers) compared to the use of what nonsense passes for Trump’s sexual organs brings about the charge of “Sexual Assault”. It does not suddenly negate the fact that he used a part of his body to rape a woman against her will. That’s what you call forcing a sexual encounter on an unwilling partner by the way, for those who need a refresher.

Does anyone forwarding this position suddenly think that the victim will suddenly feel better knowing that it was just his finger forced into her?!

All it does is show how morally bankrupt the poster is by thinking that New York’s legal definition of “Rape” is somehow a defence against the act of rape that Trump has been proven to have done beyond reasonable doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Here's what @MisterAnarchy wrote at 3:09am on the morning of 4/11/2020,

The silent majority have spoken .

They are giving 2 fingers to the woke, politically correct, hypocrites.

The Democrats got into bed with BLM and stoked division in the US and it has come back to bite them in the ass.

People have had enough of BLM and their looting and rioting.

Bit preemptive as it turned out, and does nail the colours to the mast a bit more than they're currently letting on. Good bit of egg on the face and I would suspect they're keen to post something like this again, but might delay it a bit until after dawn in order to be sure of the result, if it is the result I think they want or would prefer.

Not that I have an issue with someone being a Trump supporter in the sense that this should be forbidden, but most would-be ones know that their position is pretty hard to defend from a place of logic given the antics of their man right now. They're all just hiding in the woodwork, waiting to come skittering out with variations of 'I told you so' on the morning after the night before.

• Advertisement

I have grave concerns about her version of what happened.

I dont think she is anywhere near as naive as she alluded to in her evidence, going back to the dressing room area with Trump with womens lingerie, thats not your average run of the mill behaviour is it.

Some of the posts she made on twitter are pretty revealing too.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,451 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That’s a nice bit of whataboutery at the end there.

Resorting to victim blaming is a bit twisted. Do you think you know more than the courts?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

She was a columnist who wrote about sex.

You're now depraving yourself to the "she was asking for it" depths, you should just stop now before you join that constant re-reg who harps on about how much of a rapist trump is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Being held liable for rape or sexual assault in a civil case would mean the end of a politician's career on this side of the Atlantic. Why is that not the case in the US? Why does it not cause as much an outcry in the US as it would in Europe?

You're not. You're defending the worst leader the West has seen in decades. He's a rapist, a fascist, a liar, a crook, a con man and a parasite. Heck, you've tacitly admitted it yourself when you pretend not to be defending him but of course you end up back at this point, spouting debunked MAGA lies and both sides. It's been years and we're not just well aware of it, we're tired of it.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You're victim blaming, fyi legally what he did would be classified as rape in Ireland and plenty of other places. You jump to implying guilt on the part of the victim and really just going to show that there's little you won't defend Trump on. Also I'm pretty sure if this was a Democrat, you'd be expressing a very different view.

Well firstly it was a civil case not a criminal case, meaning the verdict was supposed to be based on a preponderance of the evidence, as opposed to the much more demanding standard of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, which is required for a criminal conviction.

The question for the jurors was whether it was more likely than not that Trump had sexually assaulted Carroll.

The jurors notably did not accept Carroll's characterization of her encounter with Trump as Rape. But they did conclude it was more likely than not that Trump had "sexually abused" Carroll.

Bear in mind this civil case was in New York, a state that hates Trump, I’m not sure he can get a fair trial there to be honest.

• Advertisement

Not at all, you posted your unwashed, pro rapist opinion.

Silent Majority Centrist lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement