Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That might prove to be the largest bombshell in the whole scenario: the unanimous verdict now allows the Supreme Court to claim plausible deniability, so can now neatly avoid the political quagmire of being dragged into Donald Trump's shít. I had reckoned that the conservative judges put there by Trump no longer owe him anything, and now with this judgement they even have the convenience to go don't see anything wrong here and back away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Saw a tweet though suggesting that the SC might decide to have their official say on it, even if it's just to agree with the District Court, but could kick the can down the road enough that any case against Trump likely wouldn't proceed before the election. A way for the Conservative judges to protect Trump politically while not protecting him legally, because if Trump did then win the election, he's almost undoubtedly protected again.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

talking heads pointing out they don't HAVE to take it, doesn't mean they won't

a unanimous 60 page decision would be a hard one for them to take up, but doesn't mean they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭briany

The question, then, is how long would it take for the SCOTUS to give an indication whether or not they will hear the case. If it's something that gets stuck in the pipeline among all the other things they have to do, and will take some time on top of that to study the legal opinion by the D.C. court, then it's still worthwhile for Trump's team to appeal it with respect to running down the clock.

They could drag it out to the end of the session in June/July or even put it on the docket for next court term which starts in October. There would be no logical reason for them to in this case but it doesn’t preclude the bare possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'd be genuinely shocked if the Supreme Court went near that with a barge pole. As others have said, there is no argument here. No dissenting opinion, just an idiotic argument by Trump's legal team being well and truly slapped down.

Dragging it out to October would be openly political and I cannot imagine John Roberts wanting to get involved in that. They might take a month or so to "consider" it but I cannot see it being any longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

No doubt the courts can delay if they want, but it's a matter of whether they are prepared to take **** from the public in order to provide temporary cover, and that's all it will be, for oul Seditious Don

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But if the supreme court plays silly buggers around it, doesn't that just sign their own death warrant essentially as unless Trump then gets in and appoints himself king... Whoever the next non crazy administration is will make it a priority to rebalance things and add things like term limits or adjust the numbers... After all, the supreme court would have just handed them immunity, as well as Trump.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And in yet more proof that the GOP are utterly craven bootlicking sycophants to their God-King , see the latest attempt by them to do nothing.

The day after the bipartisan compromise on border policy and security aid was unveiled, one Republican after another lined up to announce their opposition. A few hours ago, they were joined by Sen. John Barrasso — the No. 3 Republican in the chamber, and the highest-ranking GOP leader to reject the legislative deal.

“Americans will turn to the upcoming election to end the border crisis,” the Wyoming senator said in a written statement.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan made a similar comment during an appearance on Fox Business:

Let’s say ‘timeout’ and then let the American people decide how we want to deal with this in November, when we have President Trump ... against President Biden. Let the country decide.

So their latest wheeze is "It's an Election year , we shouldn't be making any decisions that a new President might not like, so let's just sit back and wait until the end of January 2025 when the winner of the election gets sworn in"

So - It's an "invasion" and a "crisis" but sure, let's not even attempt to do a single thing for almost a year just so we don't give the other guy a "win".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,581 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This is a massive blow to Trump. Had he won this the entire Jan 6th would disappear.

This ruling, and any appeal to the Supreme Court, ensures it stays front and centre.

Another massive legal blow after last week's humiliating damages ruling.

It won't make any difference to his supporters who have shown themselves to not care about the law or responsibility, but this will give massive ammunition to Dems.

Trump will, as usual, attempt to laugh this off or claim a conspiracy but the troubles keep mounting and Trump, apart from the 2016 win, has shown little to think that he has any idea of how to get out of this.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So far at least he is behaving himself and has just said that he "respectfully disagrees" with the ruling and has restated his nonsense view that a President cannot function without Absolute Immunity.

When I say "behaving" obviously that's all relative , I mean he did use the whole "Deranged Jack Smith" thing but at least in terms of the Judges he kept his mouth shut and didn't call them "deep state plants" etc.

But I expect we'll see those "truths" tonight when the sun-downing kicks off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Getting severe flashbacks of 2016 and Obama's SC pick Garland refused by the GOP cos it was an "election year".

And if Biden wins, there'll be another excuse - or else they'll start screaming "why didn't you fix it earlier??"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

So basically he's saying "President Biden, please send Seal Team Six after me, you're immune"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It baffles me that he believes that he is entitled to immunity, but that the incumbent isn't🤷‍♂️

Zero logic and whatever about being an agent of chaos? The man is fast becoming a gibbering idiot. Little rocketman was right back in 2017, when he called Trump a dotard...

Who knew North Korea had such intel 😉

Engoron making very clear that he will proceed on a falsus in uno basis regarding Weisselberg's testimony to the court.

If perjury is confirmed, and I'd hazard that if even so much as Weisselberg's seeking a plea deal is confirmed? That Engoron will enforce as punitive a sanction as he can.

• Advertisement

Of the four main indictments hanging over Trump right now, do we know which one will conclude the soonest, or is likely to? It's just that the 2024 US general election already looks like it's going to be fraught in a way that modern western politics hasn't really seen even without the trials. Having the business end of them coincide with the business end of the campaign, where I have to think Trump will be doing everything he can to whip his support into a frenzy, is going to be something else. 'Messy' wouldn't adequately cover it, is my guess.

I haven't yet read the judgement but something that jumps out to me from Kaitlan Collins tweet below.

‘take care that the Laws be faithfully executed,’ were the sole officer capable of defying those Laws with impunity.”

The consensus decision of the court, quite deliberately and explicitly names the President as an officer. It potentially strengthens the 14th amendment disqualification as it kicks the legs out from under "the President isn't an officer" argument.

It's not just confirmation that Trump is criminally liable but, also that as an "officer" per the constitution that he is subject to the full effect of Article 14 sec 3.

I fully agree with you that the POTUS is obviously an officer of the US, but law appears to utterly revel in semantics. I could be fully wrong, here, but the case appears to be about what 'officer' means with respect to A14 sec 3, even though the POTUS is named as an officer of the US in other parts of their constitution. I should think the original authors of that text didn't think it could be interpreted so murkily, but then again they probably didn't envisage someone like Donald Trump happening either. If it were so clear in the nitty-gritty technical sense, it obviously wouldn't have made it as a question to consider before the SCOTUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭amandstu

If the President wasn't explicitly described as an "officer" then that was an oversight and ,in a Republic he should be considered (and be proud to be so considered) as one.

Good that these 3 judges have described the President as such.

I wonder if that was deliberate?

If so ,well done.

Edit:Doesn't the President take an "Oath of Office"?

How could he or she not be an officer in that case?

Post edited by amandstu on

The President is an officer. It's just Trump trying every single trick in the book to escape from his legal peril. Expect this to rumble on and on and on.

As Briany alludes to, there is a legal theory that has become beloved of Trump supporters that POTUS, isn't an officer under the constitution. It is based on a warped reading IMO and doesn't stand up to any literal or telelogical scrutiny. If the supreme court sees itself as textual originalists? Then the theory should really be disregarded.

We disagree. There is some good reason to think the President is not an “officer of the United States.” President Trump, who swore only one constitutional oath, does not fall within Section 3’s jurisdictional element. Therefore, he cannot be disqualified pursuant to this provision.

In the fraught legal circumstances that Trump finds himself in? Where it's already agreed that January 6th was a couple in search of a legal theory? One that was provided by Eastman, who's career has gone down in flames and who is currently an unindicted coconspirator in legal peril.

It's one of those theories that IMO is only ever useful as a devils advocate position. In a sane court? It would be shot down instantly as absurd.

In the current SCOTUS? Where 5 justices are political conservatives and at least 1 is corrupt and has a spouse involved in the attempted coup?

It could be given enough support to fly as a means of leaving Trump on the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭Cody montana

BREAKING: House Rejects Mayorkas Impeachment Resolution

Someone will be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This might put some backbone in a few senator's to back the Senate border bill and let the house decide the issue.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

You are about to enter a region of political discourse where logic is a menace and truth is the enemy. A region of bluster and venom. You are about to enter The Trump Zone.

Dun-dun-dun....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement