Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭briany

If lawyers representing Trump are going to argue for a narrow scope of what the text in question means, they're probably going to be looking for supporting historical documents to back that up like letters and minutes of debates and so on. If they're going to argue an originalist position, they're going to need to establish what was originally meant when the text was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

In all the cases so far, Trump has singularly failed to put forward any credible evidence of any of his positions.

He spouts whatever rubbish he thinks will work to get him off the hook, it is magnified by the media and by his supporters to a level where one could be forgiven to actually think it is credible, but when faced with actual legal process the entire facade disappears.

No position Trump has in terms of his legal position should be given any credibility until he can actually demonstrate it in a court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Poor trump is All Shook Up with people with Suspicious Minds trying to get him into a Jailhouse Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's all about delaying things long enough for him to become President again. It's the only hope he has of squashing all or most of the cases against him.

America is a country where you'll have a tough time applying for menial jobs with a criminal conviction and your voting rights are stripped, but you can still run for president.

So, I don't even think that a conviction would even hurt Trump that much. He'll probably never see the inside of a jail cell, number one, or if he did he'd probably get a whole wing to himself, and he could still run for president. He'd be the far-right Nelson Mandela. The problem is that America is has become so polarised that not even a full sweep on possible convictions against him will be seen as an innate disqualifier, but rather as an attempt by 'the deep state' to silence him. Once it gets to that point, you cannot rely on process to save things since a massive amount of Americans will not abide by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

There's no way he'd be running again if the threat of prison time wasn't hanging over him. He (probably correctly) believes that the Presidency can be used as a nice shield against his indictments. It's why it's so important for at least one of these cases to go to trial before the election. Having him take office again and the cases against him disappear would be catastrophic for the rule of law.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think you're underestimating how much he enjoys the ego massaging that running for, and being president results in.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

even if he lost and got convicted he'd tease running in 2028 just to keep sending out fundraising emails

Possibly, but considering he's lost in every election since 2016 you'd think he'd have gotten tired of losing by now. Apparently not.

• Advertisement

Trump's opponent, Nancy Pelosi, lost the Nevada Primary to 'none of these candidates'

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To be fair , the Nevada GOP have played silly buggers there big time.

The "Primary" doesn't carry any delegate votes only the Caucus vote tomorrow does - only Trump is on the Caucus vote , Haley( or anyone else) wasn't allowed.

So the vote today served absolutely no purpose and no matter what happened Haley couldn't win any delegates.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

In a way, that nearly sums up the entire election picture this year. You'd just want everyone to go away, think about what they've done, and come back with better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh we would definitely continue. Not just for the fundraising grift (which I suspect he’ll become increasingly dependent on over time), but also because this is his whole “bit” now.

He used to be an 80’s property magnate…but then that went to hell when the harsh light of reality showed the world how thick he was.

He used to be a reality TV character that gleaned some renewed fame for himself, but those days well and truly over thanks to his current “bit”.

Which is: Hard done by Ex-President / Rightful President who was cheated / Presidential hopeful. The second he gives up on running (or worse: endorses someone else) it’s all over. He’ll be an old has-been with maybe the most unhinged of the MAGA loons sticking with him.

Once it’s no longer possible for him to be their President / Dictator/ King, I suspect many of the MAGA crowd will move on. He’s only useful to them if he can present a possibility where their brand of stupid can be stapled across the face of the US. If Trump can’t do that anymore it over for him.

@Rawr

Once it’s no longer possible for him to be their President / Dictator/ King, I suspect many of the MAGA crowd will move on. He’s only useful to them if he can present a possibility where their brand of stupid can be stapled across the face of the US. If Trump can’t do that anymore it over for him.

Disagree. I would agree, though, if there were another individual as caustic as Trump, but there isn't. There are a few tribute acts floating around, but their similarities are either partial or just a vestige, a personality that they don. Yeah, the Trump base would dearly want him to president, but his great value is as an agitator and disrupter. The base will not move on from unless their is a major cultural change among them or they find someone who is just as odious and charismatic as he is. They've already shown strong loyalty to him through a failed reelection bid and a midterm where his endorsements got beaten. That loyalty is not based on pragmatism, but primal feeling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He used to be an 80’s property magnate…but then that went to hell when the harsh light of reality showed the world how thick he was.

Was he even that? A magnate I mean? Cos my understanding is he inherited his portfolio from daddy simply earned wealth without ever "earning" it, his actual ventures often complete failures.

I thought this WP analysis was quite interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gCYNaQQ3Bw

It backed up the fact that Trump's numbers in both Iowa and New Hampshire were quite low, considering he's basically running as an incumbent (being a former President). He's not attracting "on the fence" Republicans or Independents - obviously a fair portion of people that voted for Haley will just row in behind whoever the nominee is. However, not all of them will, which would likely be his undoing in a general election.

It's just amusing to me that the GOP are intent on choosing a candidate that probably can't win (Trump) over a candidate that probably would win in a general election (Haley). It makes no sense at all. They're happier having Trump as their leader than they are actually winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

And all because Citizen Trump demanded it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

I guess by that I meant the public persona he tried to project, which eventually went to hell when he showed people how stupid he was with money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭amandstu

Maybe someone could propose a motion in the House allocating military and financial aid to Russia?

And they might give a subvention to the Russian electoral committee while they are at it.

It would be less hypocritical than just blocking Ukraine's lifeline.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah yes then true: Trump did indeed cultivate a successful mirage of wealth; the 90s and his Hollywood cameo days to The Apprentice. Maybe if Trump stopped there, and didn't get obsessed about Obama's birth certificate he'd now be ... ... well whatever passes for "happy" in Donald Trump's rotting brain, enjoying his septuagenarian years without problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's completely mad on their part. Biden is a very weak candidate. So they are going to nominate the man who has lost to him in the past and will very likely lose again. They are throwing away a very winnable election. They could have had the first woman president, Asian American president or both. Instead a re-run of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They could have had the first woman president, Asian American president or both.

I don't think any Republicans would consider that a win!

Some would, they seemed to be silenced by those who want a rematch of 2020.

Think quite a few Republicans have just written off 2024 at this stage. Around nine months to go, so who knows what will happen?

I mean, he could very well still win due to the weakness of Biden as a candidate. But they'd have a much better chance with Haley than with a 4 times indicted and twice impeached former President who'll likely have at least one criminal conviction against his name by November, not to mention the fact that he's already a court-certified sex pest.

I think Biden's approval rating is a bit unfair on him. He's actually accomplished a lot domestically in his first term. It's a shame he's not ten years younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

And to think, if the Republican Senators voted to convict trump in the second impeachment, they would be gifted a somewhat viable candidate against a single-term Biden in Haley.

Well well well, how the turntables...

For those senators, it was never an option. Losing their seats in the next election would have been the low end of the potential consequences, with harassment and threats of violence/death to them and their families likely.

Trump owns the Republican base, and so long as he is that, the party can do nothing against him. This is why he has remained relevant despite losing the last election and his candidates losing the midterms.

To get rid of Trump, the party must figure out a way of wresting that base away from him, but it's nearly been a decade, now, and still they are no closer to figuring this out. The best they will be able to do is replace him with someone similar, which is only a very slight net improvement.

So they're stuck with him until he dies or is incapacitated. Even then, his 'ideas' and rhetoric will hang around like a bad smell, and he will continue to be worshipped, in that which all personality cult leaders are, with his successor being more of a custodian of Trumpism.

It's a bed the Republican party simply must lay in for a looooooong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The sooner you lance a boil the better. In 2021 the GOP Senator's taught that Trump would go away. TBF the Democrats taught the same and did not start to pursue criminal prosecutions until 12-18 months later.

I say a significant number of GOP senator's if they could set the clock back they would. The migrant bill that many in the GOP wanted is now dead and gone for 10 years. Many of them want to fund Ukraine and Trumpism is creating issues there. As the saying goes its hard to get the Genie back in the bottle.

Trump is like Haughy you will only get one chance to take him down showing empathy or mercy is not something tgat you should do its a sign-off weakness. They do not.play by the rules.

I do not share the confidence many have here that Biden will walk this election. If anything the polling shows that Trump is leading. Neither do I think the Robert Kennedy will hurt Trump more than Biden. He will cause serious trouble for Biden in the old industrial belt for Biden and may take states there.

It's highly unlikely that SCOTUS will keep Trump off the ballot. Its a significant hurdle to remove a name from a ballot paper. TBF to the justices they have ruled against Trump a number of time and will rule against him in the immunity case as wellas the civil cases. But they will not take him off the ballot as he has not been convicted of anything that goes back to the failure of the Democrats to start prosecutions in the and the GOP Senator's.

It's a bit like a special forces soldier even after a terorist is down they put one in the head to make sure

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The primaries would have played out very differently without Trump in the mix, I wouldn't assume Haley would come out on top, and you might have other candidates involved also.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Another theory is that the prosecution of Trump is to boost his chances of achieving the nomination. Then he is easily beaten by Biden in the general election. Some of the defeated campaigns have accused the various indictments of overshadowing the race for the GOP nomination. Imagine others though Trump would emerge as endorser rather than a candidate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement