Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,435 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I thought an appeal couldn't be launched without anything put up in escrow. Do I have that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The money had to be lodged if he wants to stay the execution, or in other words stop LJ from moving on his assets.

He hasn't lodged it yet and so that part of the order remains live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The intent of my post was the opposite of that. Sorry you were confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,392 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Moral Panic Merchant @LibsofTikTok aka. Chaya Raichik (not a Pokemon) sat down for an hour long interview with Washington Post, didn't like how it went and sobbed to social media about it.

"Is there a law against lying?" She said in the interview, defending her disinformation about the Uvalde shooter being transgender (they were not) during the interview. Simultaneously in the interview she denounces lies and claimed to 'like the truth'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And yet Trump could only get 60% of the vote. That is a terrible result given how disliked Haley is. Coupled with the fact Trump is clearly the front runner.

As I posted earlier, very worrying results for Trump. No doubt he will win the nomination but the fact that Haley was even a viable alternative is surely a worry.

It points, to me anyway, to a party that isn't convinced he can win and are looking to hedge their bets as long as possible in the hope that something will happen to sort the Trump problem out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He looks the type to have a firearms collection. Or rather had a firearms collection.

As the media points out, Talibama cited the Dobbs SCOTUS decision over and over again in its insane ruling banning IVF

Bonus: Lindsay Graham making a 'pledge' to not go after Birth Control is as valuable as all the other times his words were used against him and he didn't seem to care:

Roe, Roe, Roe your vote

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's the 59% of those that voted for Haley saying that they will never vote for Trump that is the problem for him.

She's gotten about 40% for the votes so far, so that's means that roughly 25% or GOP voters have clearly said they will not vote from him.

He can't win if that even holds remotely true and in fact it turns a few red states into swing states.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

haley only got 40% in her home state, that says it all for her

• Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Are you a stormtrooper? Cause you seriously missed the point there

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,488 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think the bit where "Haley will beat trump in the primaries" is something you made up all your own head.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

As is always the case with any american election it is going to come down to a few states and even probably a few districts within those states. So if there's a % of republican voters that say no matter what they wont vote for trump then that is a real problem for him. They wont vote Biden, they just wont vote. A lot of American states and voters are now starting to put more faith and interest into their senators, governors, house representatives then in the President, knowing that they are "supposed" to be the ones that get things done, so midterm results are no longer a strong indication of voting partisanship...I think we might see a historically low turnout, but it will be who can get the most of that small turnout to come out in their favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Low turn out typically favours the GOP, but if it's mainly on their side that's a huge problem for them.

And if Trump gets his way with the RNC, they won't have a lot of money to spend on those down ballot races which further puts them under pressure

Low turnout would help the GOP if anyone else but Trump was running. I don't think Biden was somehow the most voted for POTUS ever because of Biden, a large % of that vote was an anti-Trump vote (just as large % of Trump's 2016 vote was an anti-HC vote).

So putting someone like Haley forward, while not igniting the Trump base, would also likely not bring out the more casual Biden voters and she could win by default almost.

Continuing with Trump, when even many in his party don't want him (though a large portion of them will still vote for him come election time), will only bring out the anti-Trump vote which will help Biden.

The GOP are missing a massive opportunity to win back the WH here. Biden is not Obama, or Clinton or W Bush after 9/11. There isn't a massive groundswell of support for him. And a less divisive GOP candidate could well win POTUS. Unfortunately for them it is too late to try to make a change now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Provided Trump and the Magas (now there's a band name) are not running the show, does it matter if the GOP get in? A sane leader it would not find it too difficult to sort out the extremists, they are nothing if not flexible. ABT, assuming it isn't a Trump wannabe, would do. I think Biden has done a decent enough job on the whole, he is not populist but I think he has a certain charm or charisma, the trouble is Trump makes that look like weakness.

From this side of the pond though, I don't think it matters too much whether the US is right wing or a bit less right wing, provided it isn't a dishonest, rabble rousing, barely sane, potential dictator in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

They don't want to make a change, they don't want a less divisive candidate. The primaries to date have clearly shown that the GOP is all-in on Trump. He has total control, far more so than in 2016.

It might as well be rebranded 'The Trump Party'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

You don't win a presidency with a candidate whose approval ratings are in the toilet with the party though.

Trump dies tomorrow and assuming RDS/Vivek etc have decided to stay on the sidelines and let Nikki get the big job, then Trump voters simply are not going to come out for her. Then of course you have someone like RFK who would peel off voters.

I think their is a lot of wonky polling going around atm, whether its with Trump's gains with young voters (lol) and those polls that say Haley beats Biden easily tbh.

Trump for better or worse is their best bet to win in November, and tbf he only lost by 40k votes (lol popular vote) and he is polling pretty well in swing states atm.

Oh but they are running the show either way. The Republicans who aren’t are being driven into retirement. Haley has vowed repeatedly to pardon Donald Trump that’s not sorting out the extremists that’s rewarding their extremism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Provided Trump and the Magas (now there's a band name) are not running the show, does it matter if the GOP get in?

The problem is there's no evidence the MAGA, election-denying, hyper christian-conservative umbrella of malcontents would be brushed to the side - indeed Haley by all accounts isn't the moderate the media are jumping to represent her as. The GOP has had plenty of opportunity to sideline the extremists - and by the exit polls in the primaries, voters are cooling on them as well - but they show no intent to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The GOP are not going to sideline the extremists at the moment with Trump still in charge, but if he got removed and replaced with someone GOP but more civilised a lot of attitudes would magically change in the higher echelons, and the unwashed Magas would be left to mill around talking about past great days.

But none of this is likely to happen. I do believe Trump will be gone and Biden will get in, in which case the GOP angst and aggravation will continue, the Magas will continue to chant 'we wus robbed', and Trump will start talking about 2028. Somehow he has to be taken off social media and the airways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tangential to Trump yes, but not from the PoV of where the GOP exists as a deeply stupid and almost irredeemable entity.

To whit: here and Alabama senator declaring "we need [to have] more kids", while also agreeing with the state SC's decision to regard IVF embryos as children (thus causing the closure of clinics).

The inane waffle does make it sound like the guy hasn't even read, or tried to understand, the issue and is trotting out sound bytes about "abortion" but that in itself makes it worse. I'd question if this moron even knows what IVF actually is.

Remove MAGA from the equation and the GOP still has a serious deficit of basic competence, empathy and sensible social (or economic) conservatism in its blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Quin_Dub

And if Trump gets his way with the RNC, they won't have a lot of money to spend on those down ballot races which further puts them under pressure

Interesting thought because the whole Project 2025 initiative would really benefit from a Republican House and Senate. I know they're going for this whole 'the President can do anything' angle, but one thing toward that would be a Congress who doesn't stand in the way, so I can imagine a lot of coffee being drunk trying to figure out exactly how to keep Trump's megalomania in check enough that it doesn't inadvertently ruin their 'big picture' aims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

It's not like the pro-Trump Republican voters would just vote Democrat if the Republican politicians at the Capitol had voted for aid to Ukraine. So the idea that those politicians would lose their seats if they went against Trump doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

The federal courts would never let Trump have everything his own way. Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett would condemn far-right violence to the same degree as far-left violence - conservatives are especially big on law and order.

Conservatives are especially big on law and order? You are having a laugh aren't you?

Their leader is up on 91 charges, found civilly liable for sexual assault. Found to have acted fraudulently and have done everything to try to subvert justice for Jan 6th.

Law and order for others for sure.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement