Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

everlast75 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be able to resist to reply with **** off!

https://twitter.com/JimSwiftDC/status/1386642713873985539?s=19

"We won't ask again". Yeah, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

If he does start his own social media network I'm sure it will be every bit as good as the one started by the MyPillow guy.

I hope it is a success. Twitter's stock price went down over 12% after they banned Trump. Then they got together with Amazon and killed Parler. So no competition. They might not have such an easy time with appeasing stockholders if Trump does start a social media entity and their stock drops significantly.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    I hope it is a success. Twitter's stock price went down over 12% after they banned Trump. Then they got together with Amazon and killed Parler. So no competition. They might not have such an easy time with appeasing stockholders if Trump does start a social media entity and their stock drops significantly.
    Their drop off was pretty brief, they're at record highs these days so clearly his absence isn't a loser for them. Parler was removed from AWS due to numerous breaches of its terms and conditions. The likes of stormfront have been removed from hosting platforms in the past for the exact same reason. Parler is back now on some other hosting service I believe, it continues to not threaten any major social media platform. :pac:

I'm sure you do hope it is a success. His business track record would suggest otherwise.

Their drop off was pretty brief, they're at record highs these days so clearly his absence isn't a loser for them. Parler was removed from AWS due to numerous breaches of its terms and conditions. The likes of stormfront have been removed from hosting platforms in the past for the exact same reason. Parler is back now on some other hosting service I believe, it continues to not threaten any major social media platform. :pac:

Vulnerabilities and hacks happen even when a company spends money, time and effort to secure their application, but parler was developed to a into to computer science level.

Apart from the obvious, well obvious to any normal person in the human decency stakes, you would want to have your head examined to continue to use a service that handled it's security design so poorly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I wonder will he launch it a year out from the next presidential election. Could do wonders for his campaign, if he wants to run again

No , it wouldn't.

Not a single person would have their mind or vote changed towards Trump as a result of joining any social platform that he might (he absolutely won't) launch.

It would have absolutely zero impact on his vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

"Tony Fauci" :rollseyes: such a pathetic little man.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Isn't that what the GOP platform has been for years now?

Their entire existence is based on keeping their voters Angry and/or Afraid of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

If he does start his own social media network I'm sure it will be every bit as good as the one started by the MyPillow guy.

It'll be a subscription-only network, mark my words. Yet another shameless grift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It won't be a success. All it'll be is a cess pit of right-wing conspiracies going around in circles. At least on Twitter he had a mass audience - whether people wanted to or not, they saw his tweets. No centrist or left-leaning individual will even dream of signing up to a Trump social media network. It'll be an absolute echo chamber of nonsense.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    No , it wouldn't.

Not a single person would have their mind or vote changed towards Trump as a result of joining any social platform that he might (he absolutely won't) launch.

It would have absolutely zero impact on his vote.

I'm no Trump fan but I'll respectfully disagree. A twitter like platform where he can say whatever he wants, in fact built on that idea, will undoubtedly raise his profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm no Trump fan but I'll respectfully disagree. A twitter like platform where he can say whatever he wants, in fact built on that idea, will undoubtedly raise his profile.

Only to those that already know, and want to hear, from him.

Nobody is going to actually pay for that that isn't already in agreement with him. So, while I am sure he will be delighted with the profile, it won't actually achieve very much in terms of getting new voters, the 1 thing he needs to do.

You seem to have forgotten that he had Twitter, he had FB, he had the WH pulpit, and yet despite all this his support continued to go down. It never went up.

But now on some obscure platform he is suddenly going to get his message out there to all these people?

All the history would suggest not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So Parler? And how did that go?

VinLieger wrote: »
    So Parler? And how did that go?

If we're asking rhetorical questions... Was that Trump's creation?

it wasn't but new social media platforms created by the right wing in the US don't have great track records. the one created by the MyPillow guy is a ****show of mediocrity. there is nothing to suggest that Trump will do a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why does it matter if he created it? Theres been several attempts at exactly what you have suggested and all have failed miserably

it wasn't but new social media platforms created by the right wing in the US don't have great track records. the one created by the MyPillow guy is a ****show of mediocrity. there is nothing to suggest that Trump will do a better job.
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Why does it matter if he created it? Theres been several attempts at exactly what you have suggested and all have failed miserably

Have you missed that Trump is almost the deity of a religion. Of course Trump being involved hugely matters. I don't really use twitter but I would skim it the odd time when Trump said something insane. I would do the same with this new platform. So would every news outlet in the world. All they need to do is put a bit of money in it so the security isn't a complete ****show like Parler.

Have you missed that Trump is almost the deity of a religion. Of course Trump being involved hugely matters. I don't really use twitter but I would skim it the odd time when Trump said something insane. I would do the same with this new platform. So would every news outlet in the world. All they need to do is put a bit of money in it so the security isn't a complete ****show like Parler.

you can be pretty sure they won't. Well certainly not trumps own money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He may be viewed as a deity in the eyes of his supporters, his brand name is utterly toxic to the rest. I would doubt any business that he would start up and put his name to doing any kind of decent turnover, let alone a social media platform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Is tucker going on another trout fishing vacation soon?

Setting aside the obvious technical challenges of simply "launching" a social media platform - Which is a huge "set aside" as can been seen by the horrible interfaces on places like Gab and Parler and the terrible performance and security issues etc.

Let's imagine a world where he launched a stable , secure user friendly platform.

Who signs up and more importantly who pays for it?

If subscription , who is going to part with money to read his musings?

If Free , what entities are going to be interested in advertising on the platform?

Subscription only interests his MAGA die-hard followers, who would vote for him and donate to him no matter what , so politically absolutely zero gain. (But potentially a handy little earner for the man himself).

If free , hard to see much in the way of advertising revenue streams beyond lots and lots of Pillows.

Either way , it's a fringe echo chamber site that gains nothing politically for Trump.

At best , posts from his site get cross posted to Facebook/Twitter and the conversation continues there.

But - He could achieve that through the use of carefully selected proxies that haven't been banned to share "press releases" etc. without the risk and expense of setting up his own platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭briany

Twitter offers right-wing trolls 3 things - the ability to network with likeminded individuals, the ability to recruit others to your way of thinking, and the ability to battle those on the other end of the political spectrum. That's part of why networks like FrankSpeech and Parler will never be as successful. They offer no way of interfacing with the other side or even the neutrals. They don't want to admit it, but people on those networks cannot find it as engaging to have a space where your opinions find only agreement.

Which is why what I think will happen is that over time, given their need for conflict, Parler users will begin to attack each other and what was supposed to be this platform to provide a safe space for all those right-wingers will end up balkanising them, as they subdivide themselves into warring factions.

duploelabs wrote: »
    He may be viewed as a deity in the eyes of his supporters, his brand name is utterly toxic to the rest. I would doubt any business that he would start up and put his name to doing any kind of decent turnover, let alone a social media platform

Exactly - There's a reason his new website is 45Office.com and not Trump45.com or whatever , it's the first time in his entire life he hasn't plastered his name all over something.

Even DJT the ultimate Narcissist knows that the name Trump is utterly toxic right now with no clear path away from that.
    briany wrote: »
    Twitter offers right-wing trolls 3 things - the ability to network with likeminded individuals, the ability to recruit others to your way of thinking, and the ability to battle those on the other end of the political spectrum. That's part of why networks like FrankSpeech and Parler will never be as successful. They offer no way of interfacing with the other side or even the neutrals. They don't want to admit it, but people on those networks cannot find it as engaging to have a space where your opinions find only agreement.

Which is why what I think will happen is that over time, given their need for conflict, Parler users will begin to attack each other and what was supposed to be this platform to provide a safe space for all those right-wingers will end up balkanising them, as they subdivide themselves into warring factions.

100% agree - Without the friction of disagreement , discussion platforms and social media in general just withers on the vine.

Either it becomes an utter ghost-town over time or it devolves into a multitude of Right-wing factions, each trying to one up the other with their displays of purity to the cause, getting more and more angry and extreme with each iteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,643 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

briany wrote: »

Agree and would add to it that most people use Twitter for other reasons, to follow topics they are interested in whether it be music, sport, comedians or whatever it is. Were Trump to set up a platform it's selling point would be one thing and one thing only, it's not liberal.

That's a fine for what it is, but it won't bring casual users or keep people entertained enough to fund it.

Agree and would add to it that most people use Twitter for other reasons, to follow topics they are interested in whether it be music, sport, comedians or whatever it is. Were Trump to set up a platform it's selling point would be one thing and one thing only, it's not liberal.

That's a fine for what it is, but it won't bring casual users or keep people entertained enough to fund it.

Yes, a social network like this would be very one-dimensional for the average user and that will be its undoing. Still, I can imagine the concept must hold some appeal for Trump himself, being such a narcissist. A platform that is built around his every proclamation would stroke his ego no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Oh yes, his new platform would be full of quality material... material like... this????

https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/1387095817861881856?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Exactly - There's a reason his new website is 45Office.com and not Trump45.com or whatever , it's the first time in his entire life he hasn't plastered his name all over something.

I think you're attributing too much nuance and knowledge of the market to trump, I'd say the more likely reason is that during the 4 years in office everyone brought up every plausible trump-related domain in an effort to troll him

Oh yes, his new platform would be full of quality material... material like... this????

https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/1387095817861881856?s=19

His logic isn't very good, not that I would expect his logic to be otherwise. This is just some preaching to the choir, bar-stool commentary, i.e. "Y'know what? If they did less pandering to the liberals, the Oscars would have better ratings.", ignoring the ongoing pandemic and its hampering the ability to put on the kind of big glitzy gala people are used to tuning into.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    I think you're attributing too much nuance and knowledge of the market to trump, I'd say the more likely reason is that during the 4 years in office everyone brought up every plausible trump-related domain in an effort to troll him

trump45.com was registered back in 2015.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement