Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That would make a good title if they decided to make one of those cheap TV films about his life. Sliding Towards Irrelevance - The Donald Trump Story.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Overheal wrote: »
    So do you think Liz Cheney's Primary Q-challenger has a shot?

[url]htxtps://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1395766208314630145?s=20[/url]

Is Seth Abramson the lad who wrote the fiction novel about Russia, becoming rich off the back of by taking money from suckers? Screwed the Bernie Brigade out of money, then the Russiagators, who's next?

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/03/its-still-mueller-time.html
    During the 2016 primaries, Seth Abramson — assistant professor of communication arts and sciences, law-degree holder, and most importantly, member in good standing of Resistance Twitter — spent a lot of time arguing that Bernie Sanders was in fact winning the Democratic primary, in spite of the fact that he was not winning the Democratic primary. After the election, instead of conceding that he was wrong, Abramson wrote a piece for HuffPost, in which he argued that Bernie Sanders had defeated Hillary Clinton, even though he did not do that.

Abramson used the full extent of his powers as an English professor to produce walls of impenetrable jargon that employed phrases like “palimpsestic ironies” and “the jailbreak of iterability,” but the upshot of the piece was that Abramson stood by the idea that “Bernie Sanders Is Currently Winning the Democratic Primary Race, and I’ll Prove It to You.” These were acts of “experimental journalism” aimed at using “attention” to create a “meta-narrative” in which it was true that Sanders was winning the election. As near as I can tell, what he meant was that by spinning such high volumes of plausible-sounding bull**** that was shared lots of times on Facebook, he created an alternate reality in which the bull**** was actually true. What was really remarkable about the effort was that Abramson managed to continue to argue his position well past the point it had become untenable by any reasonable understanding of reality.

Luckily for us, Abramson said he’d continue this method of forward-looking journalism in the future, and he, of course, did. In never-ending tweet threads, and one endlessly promoted book, Abramson has been making wild claims about “Russiagate” parallel to Robert Mueller’s investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Is Seth Abramson the lad who wrote the fiction novel about Russia, becoming rich off the back of by taking money from suckers? Screwed the Bernie Brigade out of money, then the Russiagators, who's next?

If you don’t like that source, how’s a Fox News link?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/anthony-bouchard-14-girl-pregnant-liz-cheney-challenger

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Funny that you're focusing on the author of the tweet rather than the guy that admitted to impregnating a 14 year old.

• Advertisement

Funny that you're focusing on the author of the tweet rather than the guy that admitted to impregnating a 14 year old.

desperate times etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Smee_Again wrote: »

I don't disagree with the fact that Bouchard impregnated a 14 year old girl. I take issue with people promoting snakes like Seth Abramson and have no problem calling him out as a grifter, because that's what he is.

I don't disagree with the fact that Bouchard impregnated a 14 year old girl. I take issue with people promoting snakes like Seth Abramson and have no problem calling him out as a grifter, because that's what he is.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/07/a-quick-guide-to-whos-making-money-off-trump-paranoia/

Abramson isn’t the topic of discussion though.

It’s the increasingly common links between Trump supporting GOPers and child sex abuse.

Whatabout...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The dumb apple doesn't fall far from the dumb tree....

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1396658521685561346?s=20

• Advertisement

that is even worse than i could have imagined

Needs a Rocky style montage if he's going for the greatest comeback story ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It needs that nodding cat and it would be purrfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,120 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

53% of Republicans (11% of Americans) think Trump is still the "true" President (poll)

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/new-poll-more-than-half-of-republicans-think-donald-trump-is-currently-the-true-president/

Garbage in garbage out. What is their news diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

53% of Republicans (11% of Americans) think Trump is still the "true" President (poll)

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/new-poll-more-than-half-of-republicans-think-donald-trump-is-currently-the-true-president/

Which means that only nearly 21% of the people polled identified as a Republican

This is a fair point....

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1396920252223610881?s=19

everlast75 wrote: »

Why can't trump run again?

If he is the current president, then he will have served 2 terms when 2024 comes

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well.. if he's still President having win a second term, then he can't run for a 3rd time now can he?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

What is their level of education, more like. There's obviously a serious serious deficiency in the US education system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Christy42

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Well.. if he's still President having win a second term, then he can't run for a 3rd time now can he?

I did see plenty of comments coming to the end of his first term that he deserved a 3rd term because "the media was mean to him". Not how the law works but I strongly suspect they are the same people who think Trump is still President and will reveal all someday super soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭banie01

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    What is their level of education, more like. There's obviously a serious serious deficiency in the US education system.

The lack of homogeneity in the curriculum and the reliance upon local and state taxes to fund schools has a serious impact on the quality of teachers and education.
    The variance in education standards between a high property value/high tax compliant area and areas with low property values/tax compliance is stark.

In Ireland issues like this are dealt with via Deis funding and other interventions.
    To try and target high quality educators and interventions at the areas they are most needed.
    Not a perfect system here, but an effort at equity.

In the US, the system seems to rely on federal top up funding which itself is predicated upon standardised testing being below a certain level.
    But when those levels are exceeded, extra funding stops.

Now I don't know what impact DeVos had on the supports offered to poor, underperforming and low income schools.
    But I'd bet a nut she didn't improve them.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I did see plenty of comments coming to the end of his first term that he deserved a 3rd term because "the media was mean to him". Not how the law works but I strongly suspect they are the same people who think Trump is still President and will reveal all someday super soon.

for someone with a strongman image he sure did whinge a lot.

for someone with a strongman image he sure did whinge a lot.

biggest *snowflake* ever!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Christy42 wrote: »

No doubt , it's just another example of the extreme levels of twisting and back-tracking that they seem to be able to do whenever they are presented with a logical counterpoint to their beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,120 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trumps bum chum passed a new (very unconstitutional) law in florida that tries to abridge the first amendment, fining social media and "Big Tech" companies if they do not forcibly allow politicians to have an account on their platforms, and requires companies to share equally both facts and lunatic conspiracy theories (which exceptions for Disney, because they bring in so much money for the State of Florida). Erstwhile DeSantis is fundraising off this pitch by telling his voters how unfair it is that Trump doesn't have a platform on Twitter but Ayatollah Khomeini, who died in 1989 does (he does not)

Desantis-tweet-5-24.jpg

Sadly he's since deleted the tweet. Can't imagine why.

Good to see Trump is working away just as hard as he was when he was in office..

https://twitter.com/kurtbardella/status/1397175338002751493?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭dam099

Erstwhile DeSantis is fundraising off this pitch by telling his voters how unfair it is that Trump doesn't have a platform on Twitter but Ayatollah Khomeini, who died in 1989 does (he does not)

He probably meant Ayatollah Khamenei who does have a Twitter account. Don't agree with his conclusion that Trump shouldn't have been de-platformed though, if Khamenei is posting hateful content (and I can well believe he would) then he should be booted off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Christy42

dam099 wrote: »
    He probably meant Ayatollah Khamenei who does have a Twitter account. Don't agree with his conclusion that Trump shouldn't have been de-platformed though, if Khamenei is posting hateful content (and I can well believe he would) then he should be booted off too.

It is another time that Republicans need a translator to get to an English that comes close to making sense. No intelligence and no caring for ensuring they say what they mean. Until that stops I am all for taking them to task on what they actually said.

• Advertisement

Trumps bum chum passed a new (very unconstitutional) law in florida that tries to abridge the first amendment, fining social media and "Big Tech" companies if they do not forcibly allow politicians to have an account on their platforms, and requires companies to share equally both facts and lunatic conspiracy theories (which exceptions for Disney, because they bring in so much money for the State of Florida). Erstwhile DeSantis is fundraising off this pitch by telling his voters how unfair it is that Trump doesn't have a platform on Twitter but Ayatollah Khomeini, who died in 1989 does (he does not)

Desantis-tweet-5-24.jpg

It really doesn't matter , it's sabre rattling for the base nothing more.

That law will crash and burn spectacularly in the courts the first time they try to apply it.

And they know it too , but they get to rile up the base about the evils of "cancel culture" with almost zero blowback.

When the courts knock it back , they'll blame it on "Liberal Judges" blah blah blah.

It's all a game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement