Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He be far better off spending money on the decrepit Texas Power Infrastructure , so that his constituents don't die of the cold or the heat given that both have happened in Texas in the last 6 months.

Or you know he could pi$$ money away on a useless vanity project that will have zero benefit to anyone for anything , but will make Donald love him.

Oh bother. It doesn't pay to put all kinds of money into a once in a hundred years type of event. You do know Texas is putting a lot of money into wind power energy. I believe 20% of the states electricity comes from wind power now and it keeps increasing. It would be better to just come up with a simple agreement with other states to get power from them in such a rare situation. States surrounding Texas have it with other states, but Texas isn't in that agreement. And you know in such a rare event like they witnessed over winter will cause the windmills not to work also, don't you?

I have a close friend who lives near Dallas. She did fine for that week, and Texans are resilient and look out for each other. She said the rest of the nation is making a much bigger deal out of it then Texans did. They are used to dealing with rolling blackouts because of the extreme heat and extreme cold. It is no big deal for them to go without electricity for extended periods of time.

And you know a major part of this 'stimulus' is meant to keep Blue states from going bankrupt because of their irresponsible fiscal management and massive pensions and health care plans given to public retirees, most of which are also massively underfunded. That is why there are very little rules guiding how the money can be spent by the states.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Cody montana

notobtuse wrote: »
    Oh bother. It doesn't pay to put all kinds of money into a once in a hundred years type of event. You do know Texas is putting a lot of money into wind power energy. I believe 20% of the states electricity comes from wind power now and it keeps increasing. It would be better to just come up with a simple agreement with other states to get power from them in such a rare situation. States surrounding Texas have it with other states, but Texas isn't in that agreement. And you know in such a rare event like they witnessed over winter will cause the windmills not to work also, don't you?

I have a close friend who lives near Dallas. She did fine for that week, and Texans are resilient and look out for each other. She said the rest of the nation is making a much bigger deal out of it then Texans did. They are used to dealing with rolling blackouts because of the extreme heat and extreme cold. It is no big deal for them to go without electricity for extended periods of time.

And you know a major part of this 'stimulus' is meant to keep Blue states from going bankrupt because of their irresponsible fiscal management and massive pensions and health care plans given to public retirees, most of which are also massively underfunded. That is why there are very little rules guiding how the money can be spent by the states.

“At least 111 people died in Texas during winter storm, most from hypothermia“

Damage
    ≥ $195 billion (2021 USD)
    (Costliest winter storm on record)

Out of 4 million customers affected in Texas. 111 people would be about two or three weekends of shootings in Chicago.

285 died from Hurricane Sandy that hit here. I don't recall the same outrage... oh, yeah, it affected states with democrat governors.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Does you side really need to twist my words around constantly?

No one does that. You manage to tie yourself up in knots all by yourself. And it is very amusing to watch.

Out of 4 million customers affected in Texas. 111 people would be about two or three weekends of shootings in Chicago.

285 died from Hurricane Sandy that hit here. I don't recall the same outrage... oh, yeah, it affected states with democrat governors.

I literally knew what you were going to post before you posted it.
    Downplay it or attempt to distract.
    You did both.

You’re so bias, it’s comical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Only because they refused to spend the money on "winterizing" them - Windmills work perfectly well in Canada, Norway, Finland etc. for example.

The problems in Texas are down to massive deregulation under Rick Perry so that the Power companies could get away with cutting huge corners on Safety and weather systems.

Same reason why they were allowed to charge people 10's of thousands of dollars for a few days of power during the storms because of "surge pricing"

They are used to dealing with rolling blackouts because of the extreme heat and extreme cold. It is no big deal for them to go without electricity for extended periods of time.

Ah that's ok then , it's been sh!t for years so they are used to it , that's grand so - No need to bother trying to make it better..

I've spent a huge amount of time in Texas and they are indeed a hardy bunch , maybe that's why Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick asked the old people to allow themselves to die of Covid for the sake of the economy...

The underlying cause of the Power issues are off topic - But for Abbott to be spending money intended to help the people of his State on a Vanity project beloved by the man that lost the GOP every bit of power they had in Washington in a few short years is beyond ridiculous.

What tangible benefit will there be for the people of Texas by him wasting money on a Wall ??, because it will do absolutely nothing to stop people attempting to come to the US.

Damage
    ≥ $195 billion (2021 USD)

(Costliest winter storm on record)

That $195 billion in damages you noted represents damages impacted across the US, Northern parts of Mexico, and parts of Canada. That storm started out in the Pacific Northwest and then moved into the Southern US, then onto the Midwestern and Northeastern states. I had power outages from it and I live in Pennsylvania (luckily I have a 7500 watt generator).

I’m sure you didn’t realize that information because you wouldn’t have intentionally left that bit of information out... making it look like it was just representative of Texas, would you?

Only because they refused to spend the money on "winterizing" them - Windmills work perfectly well in Canada, Norway, Finland etc. for example.

The problems in Texas are down to massive deregulation under Rick Perry so that the Power companies could get away with cutting huge corners on Safety and weather systems.

Same reason why they were allowed to charge people 10's of thousands of dollars for a few days of power during the storms because of "surge pricing"

Ah that's ok then , it's been sh!t for years so they are used to it , that's grand so - No need to bother trying to make it better..

I've spent a huge amount of time in Texas and they are indeed a hardy bunch , maybe that's why Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick asked the old people to allow themselves to die of Covid for the sake of the economy...

The underlying cause of the Power issues are off topic - But for Abbott to be spending money intended to help the people of his State on a Vanity project beloved by the man that lost the GOP every bit of power they had in Washington in a few short years is beyond ridiculous.

What tangible benefit will there be for the people of Texas by him wasting money on a Wall ??, because it will do absolutely nothing to stop people attempting to come to the US.

You are right people will still be coming across the border illegally but it won't be through Texas when the wall is built. It will be though other states. But that way Texas won't have to bear the massive cost of more illegal immigration they now have to bear alone, without Federal help. Thus spending money on the wall will save Texas taxpayers money. Make sense to me and if you know Texans like you say you do, you know it makes sense to the majority there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You are right people will still be coming across the border illegally but it won't be through Texas when the wall is built. It will be though other states. But that way Texas won't have to bear the massive cost of more illegal immigration they now have to bear alone, without Federal help. Thus spending money on the wall will save Texas taxpayers money. Make sense to me and if you know Texans like you say you do, you know it makes sense to the majority there.

For the third time, have you ever been to the border and witnessed this first hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh bother. It doesn't pay to put all kinds of money into a once in a hundred years type of event.

I'm not sure you appreciate how frail this definition is.
    You do know Texas is putting a lot of money into wind power energy. I believe 20% of the states electricity comes from wind power now and it keeps increasing. It would be better to just come up with a simple agreement with other states to get power from them in such a rare situation.

States surrounding Texas have it with other states, but Texas isn't in that agreement.

So it doesn't sound like you appreciate the issue here. The Texas energy system is not legally compatible with the other energy grids, because Texas does not adhere to the same FERC standards and coding. The simple agreement here would be for Texas to stop ****ing around and adhere to FERC regulation so its state grid is tied into the major national grid. No other individual state operates a grid, those states individually doesn't decide whether or not Texas gets juice, the FERC does, and until Texas wants to sign on to the FERC, it doesn't get to bemoan the fact that other states do enjoy a shared grid under the FERC.
    And you know in such a rare event like they witnessed over winter will cause the windmills not to work also, don't you?

Windmills? Oh no. How will we make flour and grits!

Did you mean wind turbines? There is a world of difference between a mill and a turbine.

Did she say that from the funeral for those who died?

What are you lying about now?

https://www.moneygeek.com/living/states-most-reliant-federal-government/

My red state of SC is dependent on federal projects for its GDP and we take in far more federal dollars than we send back to the IRS, iirc by a rate of less than 30 cents on the dollar. Californians meanwhile pay the IRS more money than the state gets back in federal dollars. https://www.augustachronicle.com/story/business/2020/11/07/scuttlebiz-south-carolina-leans-heavy-on-federal-funds-georgia-not-so-much/43014025/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wait, I thought the GOP were against big government, yet here you are applauding a GOP member for not only taking federal funds but misusing them.

Can you imagine if AOC took federal funds and spent them on free medicare for the poor!

Your head would explode.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You do realise that the overwhelming majority of people aren't swimming the Rio Grande or whatever right??

Almost all fall into 2 Groups - Those that arrive legally and overstay their visa and those that arrive at a formal border post and seek asylum.

The Wall solves a problem that isn't actually the problem with Immigration.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Wait, I thought the GOP were against big government, yet here you are applauding a GOP member for not only taking federal funds but misusing them.

Can you imagine if AOC took federal funds and spent them on free medicare for the poor!

Your head would explode.

I have an idea.

duploelabs wrote: »
    For the third time, have you ever been to the border and witnessed this first hand?

You question has no relevance and is idiotic. Yet you keep repeating the nonsense. I'm not in charge of fixing the crisis. I am impacted by the massive amounts of taxpayer dollars it take to deal with the illegal immigrants that come here, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You question has no relevance and makes no sense. Yet you keep repeating the nonsense. I'm not in charge of fixing the crisis.

It absolutely is relevant and makes sense.

You are adamant that Harris needed to visit the border in order to understand what is going on there.

You are pontificating here as to exactly what is going on there, without ever having been there yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Resilient.... other than Ted Cruz and the family who had to run to Cancun because according to Heidi their house was "freezing".

So much altruism from the GOP Senator for his constituents eh?!

Leroy42 wrote: »

Your head would explode.

Ahem, I may have mentioned it once or twice - 'Accuse others of that which you are guilty'.

You do realise that the overwhelming majority of people aren't swimming the Rio Grande or whatever right??

Almost all fall into 2 Groups - Those that arrive legally and overstay their visa and those that arrive at a formal border post and seek asylum.

The Wall solves a problem that isn't actually the problem with Immigration.

How have you come up with numbers that get across the border and aren't caught?

GrimyDapperCrustacean-max-1mb.gif

And you do know new research suggests that the population of illegal aliens in the United States is more like 22 million, nearly twice what is being reported. How many millions would Ireland be willing to take off our hands? Or would you rather just tell us in the US what we should do?

https://insights.som.yale.edu/insights/yale-study-finds-twice-as-many-undocumented-immigrants-as-previous-estimates

Oh so they don't matter? ERCOT gets to kill people scott free 'because Chicago?'

Did the 285 people who died from Sandy die because of a systemic failure by a government entity? Please explain. Wouldn't they have been killed by drownings and debris, not because their power grid company decided not to reinforce their power grid against storms?

That $195 billion in damages you noted represents damages impacted across the US, Northern parts of Mexico, and parts of Canada. That storm started out in the Pacific Northwest and then moved into the Southern US, then onto the Midwestern and Northeastern states. I had power outages from it and I live in Pennsylvania (luckily I have a 7500 watt generator).

I’m sure you didn’t realize that information because you wouldn’t have intentionally left that bit of information out... making it look like it was just representative of Texas, would you?

You lecturing others on leaving information out?
    Never mind you plagiarising the work of others?

“Texas winter storm costs could top $200 billion — more than hurricanes Harvey and Ike“

• Advertisement

You question has no relevance and is idiotic. Yet you keep repeating the nonsense. I'm not in charge of fixing the crisis. I am impacted by the massive amounts of taxpayer dollars it take to deal with the illegal immigrants that come here, though.

So no you haven't, and shouldn't be in the business of telling others they need to do what you won't do yourself - least of all shrieking it in All Caps in bold.

How have you come up with numbers that get across the border and aren't caught?

GrimyDapperCrustacean-max-1mb.gif

Actually yes the CBP apparently has. In march for example they arrested 172,000 and 'got aways' were approximately 30,000, or about 1,000 per day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/got-aways-border/2021/04/01/14258a1e-9302-11eb-9af7-fd0822ae4398_story.html

However this source doesn't give us access to any month over month or year over year data, so it's difficult to draw any partisan conclusions from the figure.

It absolutely is relevant and makes sense.

You are adamant that Harris needed to visit the border in order to understand what is going on there.

You are pontificating here as to exactly what is going on there, without ever having been there yourself.

Even though it means nothing, I've been near the Texas, Arizona and California borders numerous times in my business travels. I haven't been near the border in New Mexico, though. I better learn Spanish though before I go back again because there are whole areas that speak no English.

I better learn Spanish though before I go back again because there are whole areas that speak no English.

So you think Harris should have learned Spanish before she went to the border? Why did you want her to go so quickly then?

Even though it means nothing, I've been near the Texas, Arizona and California borders numerous times in my business travels. I haven't been near the border in New Mexico, though. I better learn Spanish though before I go back again because there are whole areas that speak no English.

Oh if we're doing "near the border" then sure I've driven from California to Florida too :pac:

Overheal wrote: »
    Oh if we're doing "near the border" then sure I've driven from California to Florida too :pac:

I’ve been to Chicago where(something about guns) .

there are whole areas that speak no English.

Okay?

I guess I need to learn Korean before I visit Duluth, GA again because of so many Korean-Americans there and Korean establishments, I guess. (Korean BBQ, mmm)

Heck there's whole parts of South Carolina where they only speak Gullah.

Sure there are. Like the areas in London that only speak Arabic and are no go areas for the police.

Overheal wrote: »
    Okay?

I guess I need to learn Korean before I visit Duluth, GA again because of so many Korean-Americans there and Korean establishments, I guess. (Korean BBQ, mmm)

What’s the official language of the USA btw?

• Advertisement

I’ve been to Chicago where(something about guns) .

Me too. Great steaks. Didn't dare walk around at night, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement