Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

was she alone?
    Don't know. She might have had a caregiver with her.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    You tell me since you obviously claim to know what her intentions were.

We've given you some examples, you give some counter examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No, just calling out the Democrat's non productive efforts based on thinking people like this meemaw on 1/6 are Public Enemy Number One and the greatest threat to our democracy...

9a5e411bcef2895088754ac24a6568bc-23.jpg?crop=625:327;0,89

I can't believe you posted an image which crops out the AR-15 in her right hand....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Has no one considered the possibility that, as they would be replacing Trump memorabilia with Biden memorabilia in the gift shop, that they were simply rushing in Black Friday style to get their last mementos of their dear leader?

just before a certain somebody rushes in and says "maybe they were" the capitol hill gift shop doesn't sell presidential memorabilia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Billy Mays wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=4515153

Complains about being called a cultist and then actually types that out and hits Submit

They were only going to the gift shop…..via smashed windows and doors.

• Advertisement

Don't know. She might have had a caregiver with her.

we know she wasn't alone. we watched the crowds live. spare us the gaslighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You tell me since you obviously claim to know what her intentions were.

Actually I don't.

You're the one making grand statements about the intentions of the insurrectionists, statement which seem to contradict those made by the insurrectionists themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

they broken into the capitol building. the vice-president was placed in lockdown. One of the protestors had to the shot after they broke through a window to get to the vice-president. You cry about being called a cultist but when you post nonsense like that it is easy to understand why.

I'll try to give this a balanced view and say that most of the protestors there on the day did not actually break into the Capitol building. They were there for an utterly asinine reason based on a complete fabrication that no-one has even come close to proving or getting into a court proper, but I suppose protests for utterly asinine reasons still falls under the right to peaceably assemble.

However, the larger protest around January 6th, both online and in person did a really bad job of actually condemning the violence, but instead came up with madness like it was Antifa plants. And further still was the fact that many were in support of the violence or something like they understood why such a thing happens.

This is where cultism comes in because Trump supporters cannot really admit that Trump and his cronies have been selling a total turgid lie about the election results, and because they believe that, they must also believe that the whole system is against them because of how the cases were mercilessly struck down in the courts, and so when there is no justice, there is always force, hence they believe that the Jan 6th riots were justified.

I'm not going to be hyperbolic and say that when you have so many people out there believing this that it's the end of America, but it's got to be a dicey spot the country finds itself in.

robinph wrote: »
    Is that the same 35 year old "girl" who had previously been in the air force, and was being shouted at repeatedly by Capitol Police from through the door, who had their weapons drawn, to get down and go back from the barricaded door. That same "girl"?

Yes that girl, although it could be debated she heard exactly what the police were saying over all the shouting by the crowd going on... but the question at hand was someone's assertion that she was trying to get to the vice-president and do him harm. Any thoughts on that?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

No, just calling out the Democrat's non productive efforts based on thinking people like this meemaw on 1/6 are Public Enemy Number One and the greatest threat to our democracy...

9a5e411bcef2895088754ac24a6568bc-23.jpg?crop=625:327;0,89
    210110200634-eric-gavelek-munchel-210106-large-169.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement

Yes that girl, although it could be debated she heard exactly what the police were saying over all the shouting by the crowd going on... but the question at hand was someone's assertion that she was trying to get to the vice-president and do him harm. Any thoughts on that?

given that was the stated intention of the crowd it is not an unreasonable assumption.

Penn wrote: »
    I can't believe you posted an image which crops out the AR-15 in her right hand....
    Thanks... Good one! Gave me a chuckle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well, not a "girl" for starters. The more normal word would be woman, or maybe Air Force Veteran if you were wanting to be more specific about former employment and training that might have been relevant to the goings on on the day.

Certainly wasn't a "girl" and the implication of dressing up as a princess and innocence that use of that word was trying to imply.

Smashing windows and climbing through a barricade towards armed police who are shouting at you to get back would suggest there was intent to do something other than whatever it was you are trying to claim the innocent "girl" was there for that day.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    210110200634-eric-gavelek-munchel-210106-large-169.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Indiana grandmother, Anna Morgan-Lloyd, became the first person to be sentenced in the Capital riot. This is the type of thing the Democrats need to be occupying their time with instead of the ruin they are causing the nation?

XpSmYCeebYW0czKQDz0kkKdJPMms9C2kssm6ri9fDEoj3T43Cb_hP-RMzqlHpQltIOWG8GZPslx4lqrmuRFSytlgF_ePmdcO2GtMxYAT8_H-cMXX1Aw1200-h630-p-k-no-nu.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭briany

robinph wrote: »
    Well, not a "girl" for starters. The more normal word would be woman, or maybe Air Force Veteran if you were wanting to be more specific about former employment and training that might have been relevant to the goings on on the day.

Certainly wasn't a "girl" and the implication of dressing up as a princess and innocence that use of that word was trying to imply.

Smashing windows and climbing through a barricade towards armed police who are shouting at you to get back would suggest there was intent to do something other than whatever it was you are trying to claim the innocent "girl" was there for that day.

I've seen that video of her ranting while driving. She didn't sound right in the head at all.

There's a reason why they don't let any old randomer approach the POTUS during speeches and rallies. Too dangerous. By the same token, you aren't allowed breach the inner sanctum of the Capitol without facing harsh consequences. You can wear a t-shirt saying, 'JUST HERE TO CHAT' if you like. Won't make a difference.

Indiana grandmother, Anna Morgan-Lloyd, became the first person to be sentenced in the Capital riot. This is the type of thing the Democrats need to be occupying their time with instead of the ruin they are causing the nation?

you will be delighted to know that that took up zero democrat time.

What point are you even trying to make here? A 49 year old should not have been prosecuted after she admitted to the crimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

XpSmYCeebYW0czKQDz0kkKdJPMms9C2kssm6ri9fDEoj3T43Cb_hP-RMzqlHpQltIOWG8GZPslx4lqrmuRFSytlgF_ePmdcO2GtMxYAT8_H-cMXX1Aw1200-h630-p-k-no-nu.jpeg

Are you suggesting people who broke the law should not be prosecuted? I mean republicans are meant to be the party of law and order so I figured they should be all over this. I mean I would suggest guy with cable ties gets a high sentence. I am unsure as to what this person did exactly so can't comment but if she broke the law I see no reason not to prosecute.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The protestors didn't try and stop the certification of the presidential results, and they know there was no way for them to do that. They protested, albeit in a stupid manner, the flawed and suspect election system we witnessed.

“They know?”

Is that why that screamed STOP THE STEAL STOP THE VOTE HANG MIKE PENCE?

briany wrote: »
    I've seen that video of her ranting while driving. She didn't sound right in the head at all.

There's a reason why they don't let any old randomer approach the POTUS during speeches and rallies. Too dangerous. By the same token, you aren't allowed breach the inner sanctum of the Capitol without facing harsh consequences. You can wear a t-shirt saying, 'JUST HERE TO CHAT' if you like. Won't make a difference.

I agree with a little of that. But was that a reason for a Capital policeman to put a bullet through the chest, at point blank range, of an unarmed girl who was in a position to do no harm? A taser couldn't have stopped her?

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    “They know?”

Is that why that screamed STOP THE STEAL STOP THE VOTE HANG MIKE PENCE?

that is why punctuation is so important. what they actually said was "Hang, Mike Pence?". they wanted to hang out with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Are you saying people who break the law shouldn't be punished?

Before you counter with something about police should be investigating murders, or what about antifa/BLM rioters etc, I would just point out that more than one police/detective works on one case at a time, so investigating those wouldn't mean there aren't resources to investigate this woman's case. And also that as she was part of a large group which are all being investigated (the scale of each individual's crimes would obviously differ) she is likely just one who was found/identified quicker than some of the others.

So, if she broke the law, shouldn't she be charged/punished for that?

I agree with a little of that. But was that a reason for a Capital policeman to put a bullet through the chest, at point blank range, of an unarmed girl who was in a position to do no harm? A taser couldn't have stopped her?

you keep calling her a girl. she wasn't. she was a 35 year old air force veteran. who ignored many warning. who was carrying a backpack that had unknown contents.

“An unarmed girl?”

Is that a what we call a trained ex military belt climbing through a broken glass panel in a door with a backpack on? I’d call that a piece of sh*t terrorist, f*ck her. No more fitting end for what she was stupid enough to do. Meanwhile you and people like her would say “well that black man didn’t put his hands up fast enough so what can you do” she was advancing the face of drawn weapons. ****ed around found out. Nice try attempting to pass her off as a 7 year old or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

There's no point in engaging with a Trump cultist.

Not because they're bad people, but because the conspiracy theories woven by QAnon, Trump and themselves have them utterly convinced they're fighting a righteous, ideological war, and that anything that goes against Trump is part of the conspiracy to not only destroy Trump, but them too.

It's a cult. And like a lot of cults, it doesn't matter what facts or logic you throw at them, what matters is what the leader says, how what he says makes them feel important, and how they feel dutiful in defending the hero they see as saving them, and his more famous acolytes. Anything negative or wrong on his part, no matter how provable, is a lie peddled by the enemy. All his lies and wrongdoings are truths in the face of the enemy.

I think a lot of the Trump followers are genuine people that don't wish anyone harm in general, most of them come across as ordinary people, and they are. They just have simply drank the Kool Aid. No different to David Koresh at Waco, or Jim Jones at Jonestown, the only difference with Trump is the huge numbers.

There's literally no point in debating or engaging with them, after this length of time, between the likes of FOX, AON, QAnon and other internet echo chambers, their minds are not their own anymore. It's both fascinating and frightening to see it on such a scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

Woman as opposed to girl. She wasn't 12.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting people who broke the law should not be prosecuted? I mean republicans are meant to be the party of law and order so I figured they should be all over this. I mean I would suggest guy with cable ties gets a high sentence. I am unsure as to what this person did exactly so can't comment but if she broke the law I see no reason not to prosecute.

No, please read what I wrote. I didn't say it was wrong to sentence her for a misdemeanor, I'm saying what House Democrats are doing regarding this is absurdity.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Woman as opposed to girl. She wasn't 12.

Also she was the first on hundreds who wanted in that door. A taser isn’t doing ****. Especially not if you have to worry if she’s strapped with explosives. They had already found bombs in the area the from night before.

No, please read what I wrote. I didn't say it was wrong to sentence her for a misdemeanor, I'm saying what House Democrats are doing regarding this is absurdity.

What are Democrats doing? Lawmakers aren’t prosecuting. The DOJ is.

• Advertisement

the house democrats had no involvement in her arrest and trial. That was down to law enforcement and the courts. don't you believe in law enforcement?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement