Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    And the two hugely qualified and experienced Executive VP's from the Trump organisation were doing the rounds on TV last night complaining about how terribly they were being treated.

Their commentary ranged from "It's political persecution , just like Putin with Navatny(sic)" - because of course being charged with tax fraud is just the same as being poisoned and thrown in a Gulag.

To basically admitting the charges by saying "I mean it's only $3.5M, why aren't the going after the real criminals in New York"

They truly are chips off the old block...

So the political witch hunt and show trial begins in the banana republic of New York. Trump was right… it has always been a witch-hunt orchestrated by the politically motivated Manhattan DA, Cy Vance, who has hated Trump with a passion for many years.

The IRS has been auditing Trump and his organization for like a bazillion years haven’t filed any charges. That should tell you a lot. And that is because corporations that do these things regularly (such as paying perks to Weisselberg for things like parking garage fees, reimbursement of personal holiday expenses, and tuition for some family members) usually just slap a fine and and tack on interest charges.

But not in the banana republic’s witch-hunt's world... it’s a 15 count indictment including tax fraud, grand larceny, and conspiracy, for not reporting these perks as taxable income or reporting the wrong Trump entity paying them out. So slap the handcuffs on Weisselberg and parade him in front of the media like they’ve arrested Public Enemy Number One. No walk of atonement for thee.

It’s obvious Vance, the loathsome NY DA, targeted Trump first and then went about searching and putting millions of dollars of taxpayer dollars into investigating anything and everything to try and get the man. That is not how the law is supposed to work in American. That’s how things happen in banana republics. Here you are supposed to identify the crime first and then go about investigating... well that is if your name is not Donald Trump, apparently.

So for the gazillionth time the media handmaidens of the Democratic Party are again claiming this with be the end to Trump... Case closed, game over, zip up your fly, as Stephen King would say in one of his fiction novels.

But there’s another saying by Thomas Howell that should be remembered, “Counte not thy Chickens that vnhatched be, Waye wordes as winde, till thou finde certaintee.” I'll translate that to the modern English phrase if anybody wants.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Do you think tax evasion is wrong?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'm hear to rain on the parade.
    I'm still not overly convinced. Reading Trumps body language when meeting with Greg Abbott earlier this week, he didn't look like this was weighing heavily on him.
    I think if it was, we'd have seen him allude to it more and also seen some Republicans suggest it was politically motivated to undermine him given they have handed the party over to him.

Unless, they think this will finally finish him, and they entertained him for the last 6 months to appease the 74M who voted for him. It could be either scenario, or somewhere in between, or something totally different. So in short, I don't know what will happen.

Certainly it seems that is the way Trump is thinking. He thinks that it helps his "witch hunt" angle and might be a problem for Democrats with Independents etc.

If these are the only charges proffered I'd agree , but I suspect that this is just the start of it.

They failed to get Weisselberg to flip thus far it seems so now they are going to actually charge him and see if real jail time and bankruptcy get him to start talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

notobtuse wrote: »
    So the political witch hunt and show trial begins in the banana republic of New York. Trump was right… it has always been a witch-hunt orchestrated by the politically motivated Manhattan DA, Cy Vance, who has hated Trump with a passion for many years.

The IRS has been auditing Trump and his organization for like a bazillion years haven’t filed any charges. That should tell you a lot. And that is because corporations that do these things regularly (such as paying perks to Weisselberg for things like parking garage fees, reimbursement of personal holiday expenses, and tuition for some family members) usually just slap a fine and and tack on interest charges.

But not in the banana republic’s witch-hunt's world... it’s a 15 count indictment including tax fraud, grand larceny, and conspiracy, for not reporting these perks as taxable income or reporting the wrong Trump entity paying them out. So slap the handcuffs on Weisselberg and parade him in front of the media like they’ve arrested Public Enemy Number One. No walk of atonement for thee.

It’s obvious Vance, the loathsome NY DA, targeted Trump first and then went about searching and putting millions of dollars of taxpayer dollars into investigating anything and everything to try and get the man. That is not how the law is supposed to work in American. That’s how things happen in banana republics. Here you are supposed to identify the crime first and then go about investigating... well that is if your name is not Donald Trump, apparently.

So for the gazillionth time the media handmaidens of the Democratic Party are again claiming this with be the end to Trump... Case closed, game over, zip up your fly, as Stephen King would say in one of his fiction novels.

But there’s another saying by Thomas Howell that should be remembered, “Counte not thy Chickens that vnhatched be, Waye wordes as winde, till thou finde certaintee.” I'll translate that to the modern English phrase if anybody wants.
    I'd love to know what weird corner of the internet you copy & paste this rubbish from.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone who believes it or any other investigation into trump is a witch hunt has drank the kool aid and can't be reasoned with.

**** 'em and proceed with all due speed.

If you spent your time worrying about what they think, you'd get nothing done.

His base will never come around.

Normal people realise that such egregious behaviour should not and cannot be allowed.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yup... slap him with a hefty fine and tack on interest charges as is the normal practice. And so is the government not sending me my substantial tax refund from last year, wrong. Hey, maybe I should take the lead of this Manhattan DA and get the IRS charged for grand theft.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Leroy42 wrote: »

You don't understand, the IRS is controlled by the Dems /s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Yup... slap him with a hefty fine and tack on interest charges as is the normal practice. And so is the government not sending me my substantial tax refund from last year, wrong. Hey, maybe I should take the lead of this Manhattan DA and get the IRS charged for grand theft.

These are federal charges, you don't escape these with just a fine

So by your logic, Al Capone just deserved a big fine? For the record, I do think white collar crime should result in jail time rather than getting off with a slap on the wrists. Also the scale of what they're doing is very much a factor too, if there is a clear pattern of intentionally evading tax for a prolonged period. Jail time, don't allow those responsible to run a business again. These are fair responses. If it was poor people doing it, they would realistically be treated more harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

duploelabs wrote: »
    These are federal charges, you don't escape these with just a fine

You're talking to someone who thinks tax fraud by a private citizen is the same as a government delaying the issuance of a tax refund cheque (his words).

Don't expect him to grasp the facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Is "vnhatched" from the same Trump dictionary as "covfefe"?

Penn wrote: »
    Is "vnhatched" from the same Trump dictionary as "covfefe"?
    No, it’s from ‘New Sonnets,’ published by Thomas Howell in 1570. Do I have to teach you everything? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

duploelabs wrote: »
    You don't understand, the IRS is controlled by the Dems /s

Ah so it's the Dems "at it again"?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

dinorebel wrote: »
    I'd love to know what weird corner of the internet you copy & paste this rubbish from.

Well I at least know the banana republic line was what Trump Jr crowed last night on Fox.

Funny, this is something they never accused New York of being before Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Hang on, if the Trump’s think the US is a banana republic why didn’t he do something about it while he was the banana in chief?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Hang on, if the Trump’s think the US is a banana republic why didn’t he do something about it while he was the banana in chief?

Because while he was banana in chief he had Barr and Sessions running the DOJ for him. Plus the IRS doesn’t investigate state tax fraud.

No, it’s from ‘New Sonnets,’ published by Thomas Howell in 1570. Do I have to teach you everything? ;)

Can you teach me about New York tax laws and how they don't apply to Trump? I'm Trump's new lawyer since Rudy's license was suspended.

Can you teach me about New York tax laws and how they don't apply to Trump? I'm Trump's new lawyer since Rudy's license was suspended.
    Sure... since you're Trumps new lawyer I'll even give you a break on my going rate. $450 an hour with a $10,000 retainer fee. And I expect a Form 1099 issued at the end of the year. Gotta pay my self-employment taxes, ya know.

Sure... since you're Trumps new lawyer I'll even give you a break on my going rate. $450 an hour with a $10,000 retainer fee. And I expect a Form 1099 issued at the end of the year. Gotta pay my self-employment taxes, ya know.

The fact you pay your taxes means you're not the right guy to teach me about Trump's tax policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

'Law and Order' scream Republicans. 'But not like that' they then whimper.

• Advertisement

'Law and Order' scream Republicans. 'But not like that' they then whimper.

Like protest peacefully. But not like that. Or that. Or that. Or that. Or that. Or that.

The fact you pay your taxes means you're not the right guy to teach me about Trump's tax policies.
    More like that since I would be associated with Trump I have to be triple careful as the Manhattan DA will put a tail on me 24/7, bug my home, bug my phone, bug my office, request all tax data going back to 1975, submit a list of all the girls I've slept with, and submit urine samples for weekly drug tests. That's just the way it is in the NY Manhattan DA's All-American gulag system.

More like that since I would be associated with Trump I have to be triple careful as the Manhattan DA will put a tail on me 24/7, bug my home, bug my phone, bug my office, request all tax data going back to 1975, submit a list of all the girls I've slept with, and submit urine samples for weekly drug tests. That's just the way it is in the NY Manhattan DA's All-American gulag system.

Trump had to submit to weekly drug tests? Awesome.

Obtuse rapidly seems to be becoming a civil rights activist for wealthy people who break the law. Slap on the wrist for financial crimes, unethical behaviour of lawyers being called out is a human rights abuse.... Law and order for some but Trump, nope.

You'd think with all that going on, Trump would have been more careful and made sure to do everything in accordance with the law. I mean if anything, you're making Trump out to be even greedier.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You'd think with all that going on, Trump would have been more careful and made sure to do everything in accordance with the law. I mean if anything, you're making Trump out to be even greedier.

you mean even stupider?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Overheal wrote: »
    Trump had to submit to weekly drug tests? Awesome.
    Don jnr praying the same doesn't happen to him 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And we are back to saying that entire States are systemically set up to target certain people.

And yet when minorities claim the same systematic abuse of systems against them they are, normally by GOP and right wingers, told there is no systematic abuse since there are laws in place to protect them.

Is it your accusation that NY is a illegimate organisation targeting specific individuals based on nothing more than their political beliefs?

And that Trump was powerless to do anything about this in the 4 years he was POTUS, despite having executive powers,

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Don jnr praying the same doesn't happen to him 😬

Nah Coke is out of the system by the end of the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

'Accuse others of that which you are guilty'

Link
    The Justice Department’s internal watchdog has launched an investigation after revelations that former President Donald Trump’s administration secretly seized phone data from at least two House Democrats

You're more predictable than MT Craniums weather forecasts at this point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement