Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Important to note the previous statement by the DOJ official that he was responding to:

At one point in the conversation, the notes show, Rosen told Trump that the Justice Department “can’t + won’t snap its fingers + change the outcome of the election, doesn’t work that way.”

Trump responded by saying: “Don’t expect you to do that, just say that the election was corrupt + leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen,” according to the notes.

But interested to see what further context notobtuse can provide, other than presumably just posting Trump's defence of it that he released over the weekend which neither provides any context nor shows that they twisted what he meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

The more you see and hear of Trump's supporters, the more you're reminded that they're simply deranged cultists. There's literally nothing that will changed their mind against their new god. You'd feel sorry for them only for the fact that they're clearly too nuts to be reasoned with.

The fact that over 70m voted for the lunatic tells how fatally damaged the US is. No country can possibly survive that level of collective stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is amazing how often trump supporters have to explain what he actually meant. It was a feature of his campaign and all through his presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

As I said before, 70m voted Republican, not necessarily voted for trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump supporters - Trump tells it as it is!!!

Also Trump supporters - No, what he meant* was...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Absolutely, the New York Times, by ignoring the context and their manipulating the chain of events, deceived its readers into believing Trump told DOJ officials to ignore their findings… which is a lie. Trump did not insist that the DOJ lie to the American public and say the election was corrupt so he and his Republican allies could steal the election, as was deceptively conveyed in the article. Trump as referring to reports that there were more votes than registered voters in Pennsylvania's election results, and that if the DOJ determined that had actually occurred then there was actually state election corruption, and there was nothing wrong with Trump asking the DOJ to say as much.

https://thefederalist.com/2021/08/02/nyt-lies-about-trump-again-with-claim-he-pushed-doj-to-declare-election-corrupt/

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Don't have to explain what he actually meant, it's all right there in the notes the Biden administration released on the subject... if anybody bothered to actually read it all, that is.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

We thrived quite well under the Trump administration until the COVID world epidemic shut down our economy, thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Hmmm who to believe more? The New York Times or The Federalist. Such a difficult decision.

• Advertisement

Are you ignoring the figures posted above about the precovid economy? Of course you are

The federalist confirms their belief so yes it'll be them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As has been demonstrated to you by the actual numbers that were overly generous to Trump in disregarding 2020. There was no thriving, there was no great economy.

There was treading water, matching inflation and as many are about to find out in a world of near zero interest rates. Even the feds beloved mantra of inflation is transitory, is going to squeeze an already hard pressed US economy.

Depends on what you call thrived. If it's owning the libs, the rise of white nationalism, the fracturing of US society and the replacement of facts with bullsh*t and conspiracy theories, then yes, you thrived.

By any other metric, the US regressed compared to the rest of the developed world.

None of which changes the fact that head of a cult of idiots and loons who see him as some sort of god.

What I'm more stumped by is how, despite their repeated hatred of the federal government, they take as one of their news sources an outlet called The Federalist. It's like hypocrisy and irony don't exist as concepts amongst the brainwashed.

That doesn't change a single thing about what Trump said. That gives no new or greater context to Trump's statement than what is already known.

At one point in the conversation, the notes show, Rosen told Trump that the Justice Department “can’t + won’t snap its fingers + change the outcome of the election, doesn’t work that way.”

Trump responded by saying: “Don’t expect you to do that, just say that the election was corrupt + leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen,” according to the notes.

Nobody reading the NY Times article thinks Trump just rang up, said "Just say the election was corrupt and leave the rest to me and the R. Congressmen". But if you read the full transcript, Trump repeatedly asked them to investigate false claims which were either already disproven or just stuff Trump read on the internet, and when told they'd look into one of his claims but "can’t + won’t snap its fingers + change the outcome of the election", Trump responded "Just say that the election was corrupt"

It's clear from Trump's actions, speeches and frivulous lawsuits that he didn't care if it was corrupt, he just needed to make people believe it was corrupt. If he got someone in the DoJ to say it was corrupt, he could say "Even the DoJ says it was corrupt".

Trump's own words and actions betray any context you think you can add, or that the NY Times omitted, from Trump's words.

The Federalist proved the deceit of the NY Times story. Also linked in the Federalist story is all the notes on the matter released by the Biden administration. Please show me anything that is incorrect in the Federalist story. Ill grab me some popcorn and a bottle of scotch and wait patiently for your findings. But don't keep me waiting forever. And remember, Ad-hominems-R-Us isn't a good look.

Ah, yes... Anything good that happened in Trump's time was the result of Obama and everything bad was Trumps fault... and to carry it to today, everything bad happening during Biden's administration is Trumps fault, and anything good (which I doubt there is any) is all Biden's doing. Silly me.

To quote someone on Reddit, The Federalist calling the NYT a liar is like the Taliban calling women insensitive.

That article is unsurprisingly nothing but paragraphs of disinformation.

I have linked to several articles that explain why the economy under Trump was nothing but a continuation of the Obama economy. You are free to use some critical thinking* and explain why those articles are incorrect rather than being condescending.

*Copy what is said elsewhere and make some small modifications to make us think it's your own words

• Advertisement

Of course they will, they'll grab any headline from any source as long as it confirms their beliefs, no matter the integrity of that source. Usually it takes a little bit of critical thinking to confirm whether the source is valid or not, alas that CT is somewhat lacking in the group that think that trump is a successful businessman. Confirmation bias is everywhere, hell I've even fooled some of the top sommeliers in ireland demonstrating it with wine

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Fück Trump and his disgusting supporters here that defend him and try to downplay the insurrection. Justice needs to be served for these officers.

Two of those committed suicide in the past week or so, after the Capitol Riots Hearing where other officers who testified about what happened that day were lambasted and insulted by several GOP members, Republican voters, and right-leaning media.

Just posting the above in case someone tries to claim that it's just coincidence and there's no evidence as to why they committed suicide.

Just listen to the voice message Officer Fanone received, can you imagine the harassment and hell the others went through before taking their lives?

But of course blue lives matter right?

https://twitter.com/LindsayBrinks/status/1420226192632778756

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Why bother? You've no interest in actually engaging with the truth.

And worth remembering that obtuse has been actively annoyed about the fact they haven't named the officer who shot the woman who was climbing through the window. It's very much so been about vilifying and implicating them in a conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Well, if you ignore the ballooning deficit since 2016, you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You know is asked the DOJ to simply claim the election was rigged, even though they stated there was no evidence.

Whatever about the context you seek to have invented, what it clearly shows is a POTUS willing to lie and use the DOJ to create false information. Not because of any safety fears for the US, not for the greater good, but simply to try and cheat his way back into power.

Given you know all of that, how can you continue to support a man that clearly hates democracy, the one thing America says it stands for.

And if he was prepared to try to abuse his power in this instance, surely it is reasonable to think that he would have little worries about abusing his power in other instances?

• Advertisement

From what I’m seeing the American People have pretty much no interest in Nancy Pelosi’s latest Trump witch-hunt disguised as some sort of 1/6 investigation. I gotta laugh at her reason why she rejected Jim Jordon (R) on the committee… because he may well be a material witness to events that led to the invasion. "Hello, hello, anybody home? Hey, think McFly” Anyone she put on that committee that was in the Capital building that day may well be a material witness to events.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement