Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trump has never had anything approaching "friends" , he has a series of transactional arrangements of varying value and duration.

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭briany

The other thing is that I think Trump and his cronies are really only the fruiting body of the political fungal infection in America for the last 15 years or so. We saw a good glimpse of it back when it was Obama/McCain vying for the presidency - the popularity which McCain's running mate, Sarah Palin, enjoyed in spite of, or because of, her shrill ignorance. And then that town hall where McCain got a good look at the kind of disinformation being spread amongst his base when that elderly woman said to him, "Obama...we've read about him and he's not, he's uh, he's not, he's not....Uh, he's an Arab...." And you can really see McCain trying to keep himself composed. He gives a classy measured reply to that statement, because he was a man with at least some scruples, but he could see that this is what was at was knocking on the door. And it just got worse with the rise of the Tea Party and right-wing infotainers on Youtube and the flagrant misinformation all over social media, and the fact that there are young people who take all this on board as a sort of counter-cultural expression. And the result is that you have a large number of people living in a completely different reality, and that is something that, yes, sadly, will take a long time to fix. We can only count our lucky stars that the same phenomenon isn't nearly as bad over here, but it's still made inroads.

One of the problems is that in the U.S., the U.K. and to a lesser extent the rest of the "Western world", being stupid is something to be celebrated.

Hence resulting in having the likes of Palin,Taylor Greene and someone from a reality tv show elected as president in the U.S. because they act as thick, scummy etc as their supporters actually are.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

It's a bit darker than that, in my opinion. We're in another wave of something we've seen throughout history where the public turns on intellectuals and gradually comes to believe that they're not to be trusted and don't really know anything, and it is the case in that atmosphere that the so-called political strongman comes to the fore with a message that ignores nuance or political sensitivities, and just starts spouting a bunch of easy answers or easy recriminations which touch upon existing prejudices. Educational systems have been outflanked by social media on which misinformation can thrive without repercussion, and many who readily consume this social media stuff quickly come to believe that traditional education systems are just a brainwashing system for believing what the establishment wants you to believe, so they think they have the inside scoop and with that comes a certain confidence and bravado from thinking they're smarter than the rest of the sheep. Meanwhile, they're blind to the fact that they're believing things that have no consensus. Just a disparate web of 'alternative facts' which are designed to appeal to alarmism. But not having consensus makes it almost more attractive a proposition because this distrust has been sown in experts and qualified opinion.

Where we go from there I don't know, but I can only hope society in general gets a good handle on the whole thing sooner rather than later.

I understand what you are saying, but it's still an element of stupidity to believe any of the guff that a lot of social media grifters come out with that underlines why some people believe this sh1te. If you take local examples, the national party, I.F.P. shills both online and on the street corners aren't exactly the sharpest tools in the box. They also happen to be a mix of cu*ts and people who a few years ago would only have been allowed out for the weekend.

While you have a large educational divide in the U.S. that has lead to problems, you also have the down on your luck f*ck you type of society. Something which is being pushed for in the U.K. since Thatcher, while blaming the E.U. for the woes their voters face from the policies the various U.K. independently implemented. While we here aren't exactly at this point to the extent that the U.K. are the likes of F.G. could easily lead us there given the interests of some of their youth wing and break away party members. Labour and FF aren't much better in my opinion.

I think ignorance plays a far larger part in the whole phenomenon than stupidity in the traditional sense of the word. Like, I'm sure there are many who fell for Trump's lies and for Farage's lies who could otherwise operate as functional adults in the world. Take, for example the case of Jenna Ryan, the Texas realtor who flew to Washington on a private plane and participated in 6/1, claimed she did not, but outed herself doing so by tweeting a picture of herself standing next to a smashed window in the Capitol building while giving a peace sign. On the one hand, I cannot say that someone who is successful enough at their business to afford a private plane and good home is stupid in the traditional sense, but obviously there is something going on if she could be that blind to tweet out such an incriminating photo and I would posit that it's massive ignorance, entitlement and hubris. These attributes can definitely combine to make a person do things that would come across as plainly stupid. I know Forrest Gump once said that 'Stupid is as stupid does', so you could argue that doing stupid things makes you stupid and not go further than that, but I would say that if we don't look at the possible underlying factors of stupid actions such as (as I am theorising, here) ignorance, pride, entitlement, and to go further, certain nationalistic tendencies and bigotry, then you miss a good opportunity to quash more stupid actions in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Beyond the obvious reasons to root for a Donald comeback, my emotions are my guide. I miss his singular pouting. I don’t believe anyone since Mussolini has had as much success swaying crowds with those peculiar pursed lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The party of law and order....

Where's that excerpt from? The latest statement I can find on his website is from yesterday. Anyway, it's the usual thing from Trump. He have a statement shortly after the riot where he unequivocally condemned the rioters and that those who broke the law would pay. Obviously, he didn't want to condemn the rioters and had been rooting for them while watching on the TV in the dining room next to the Oval Office, but he still did it because he had to. The moment the heat was off, he reverted. He has absolutely no convictions or guts. He didn't even pardon the 6/1 participants who were asking for clemency. It would have been wrong to do so, but it would have at least been sticking to his guns. Put the heat on him again and he'd sell every last supporter of his right down the river, if it saved him from prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Da Donald has proved countless times that he lacks empathy, except for himself when under attack. The people’s willingness to support his stance reflects our collective headlong rush toward more individual isolation, and emotional instability. We understand that this is a world of winners and losers, and he makes that clearer for us. We would gladly accept we are losers if he so much as pouts and blurts that he loves us and that we love him back. He is a powerful, idealless man.

The kind of residual tds is truly something to behold..

He really did break a lot of people's brains..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

At the beginning of this piece by Lawrence O'Donnell is a discussion of what the captain of Ladder Company 3 did on 9/11.

He was my wife's cousin. His Grandmother, was born in Leitrim. My wife thought he'd have loved to have seen where his family came from, which is now just a few decrepit stone buildings, as they emigrated in 1888.

I think a lot of them are hucksters and just putting on a show for ratings and shoring up their viewer base, and the reason I think that is because when they're threatened with legal action, such as in the case of the Dominion lawsuit, their convictions suddenly become more fragile than the confidence of a chubby teenage girl. But even if I'm correct, it's still massively egregious that a news network would merrily engage in polarising people to that extent just for the sake of profits and market share. And to the few pro-Trump trolls on this forum, no they're not equally as bad - I've yet to see a CNN anchor be that nuts and performative over a negative suggestion about Biden's conduct.

Look this for nonsense.

It was said in jest last year that he would be like the old guy in a bar talking about how he was mistreated at work to anyone who would listen to him but he's literally doing it in public.

Imagine insulting someone while asking them to do you a favour? Some might say this is a strategy to maintain claims about a stolen election ahead of 2024, I don't think so, this is delusional pleading for something that he even admits he doesn't know what it is that can be done to get him back in power.

Also telling that this is coming from his hand directly rather than a legal representative (of course most of those who worked for him are pre-occupied for some reason) or from the Conservative party. It is understandable as how could they write to their own party members asking them to do admit they messed up (they didn't).

Another cut to the legacy of the office of the President of the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Of all the things Trump has done in the last few years, this to me is the top of the crazy tree.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

This is the Secretary of State of Alabama meeting a guy who sells pillows to discuss their election system. Current state of America summed up in a tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Sparko

"Or whatever the correct legal remedy is".

Still a bit vague on the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Maybe the most ridiculous part is he actually says that Lindell is from my pillow, doesn’t even pretend he’s an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What if you gave a rally, and nobody came? Pretty close to what happened in DC. At least the attendees were peaceful this time.

Not surprising, many of them are in the custody of the law or playing hide and seek from them. I'd be willing to bet a very small percentage of those there today were actually there in January for fear of being lifted.

Notable lack of media of political personalities supporting todays gathering either. Another example of Trump and the GOP abandoning their supporters when they think it will reflect poorly on them.

Right-wing media outlets in the States have already been given legal slap-downs for backing up Trump's claim about a rigged election. That's why they went off on the tangent about election security and how that really needs to be upped. Massive dogwhistle.

They can't really back up the protest any more than to say it's an American's legal right to peaceably assemble and so on. To actually get behind the point of the protest would be to again advocate the idea that the election was rigged. And as has been pointed out ad-nauseum, there's no body of legitimate evidence to corroborate this. Plenty of conspiracy theory online, but the people coming up with that can do so anonymously. News networks have no such luxury to nakedly say it. But they'll dog-whistle it to hell and back.

That is frightening. Is there any pro-Trump person going to come on this board and back their man up when he calls Biden the illegitimate president of the United States? What Trump is doing there is utterly unprecedented in modern times, and possibly all time, when it comes to U.S. politics. A former U.S. president calling the sitting one illegitimate - it bears repeating... that's f*cked up, that is way beyond normal, and if anyone doesn't think that's authoritarian rhetoric, then I don't know what to say to you.

Worse is that this is not just Old Man Yells at Cloud. It's not just a guy rambling at a bar. Millions of people share this delusion in the U.S.A., and they're angry. The Republican party of the U.S.A. is slowly completing it's transformation into the party of Trump and/or Trumpism. All the older heads who had some decency even if you didn't agree with their politics are slowly being picked off and expunged from the party and in their place are maniacs and con artists who refuse to even condemn a nutty conspiracy theory like QAnon, never mind the one about the U.S. election, which seems to have become a normalised platform of new notables in the party.

Absolutely mental stuff. Where does the U.S. go from here? Does it get back to some kind of normality or are we witnessing the slow end of the country as we know it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Pray for the Media who have nothing to offer bar culture wars who swarmed their hoping for the worst, and all they got was some morons and probable undercover FBI agents. 😎

Is there any pro-Trump person going to come on this board and back their man up when he calls Biden the illegitimate president of the United States?

They're over on the Biden thread saying it's clear he isn't in charge and is just doing what someone else is telling him and refusing to say who this supposed puppet master is or how they have cause to believe it.

Absolute turgid nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He's an utterly racist ****ing scumbag degenerate.

Anyone who even tries to defend this can just go to hell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement