Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭briany

The kind of equivocation you're pushing, here, is the oldest trick in the book to give carte blanche for just about any amoral action. The conduct of Trump after losing the 2020 election is far worse than US politicians of either side up 'til then, in refusing to concede the election and refusing to accept the result, despite no evidence to say that the election was anything other than fair. That includes doing press conferences spouting misinformation so egregious that even Fox News felt compelled to cut away, and, of course, speaking complete nonsense near the Capitol on the day election was being certified. In fact, he's been spouting disinformation about elections since he began campaigning to become president.

That's probably why many of Trump's true believers have to invent such dark fantasies as Hillary Clinton killing children, because it then completely justifies Trump's actions, no matter how much protocol he breaks with.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

If you read my post before you will see I said the GOP have gone down a bizzare concerning route.

Some of these dark fantasies do come to fruition e.g hunters laptop news break this week. If your trying to imply that the Dems are the good guys because the GOP have gone a little crazy is not true either.

Both sides are laced with murky dealings and pasts and to be dedicated to either side is ridiculous at this stage and nothing more than extreme tribalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

And the idea that two sides are the same is utter nonsense and reminiscent of the voter suppression tactics that was used in 2016, 2018 and 2020.

If you can't tell the difference, or that one is preferable to the other by virtue of how they behave, then maybe your opinion doesn't count for much.

The GOP have not gone 'a little crazy'. They've downed the kool-aid and are waiting to rendezvous with the spaceship behind the comet (in political terms). When the party line is not to condemn Trump's flagrant misinformation about the 2020 election or has officials in its ranks who are promoting the QAnon conspiracy theory, then you have a party who is not just breaking with protocol but with their collective senses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I posted this on another thread a couple of weeks ago, maybe you could respond to it, no one else who talks about 'both sides' has been willing to have a go yet.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117848280#Comment_117848280

Can you expand a bit on the both sides are nuts? I'm not naive enough to think that everything within the party my values would more closely be aligned with but I think the 'both sides' thing doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Aside from the topic which this thread is about and the harm that that will do to people, they offer as a counter point continued efforts to reduce any form of government supported healthcare. I've already pointed out the hyopcrisy of people, on virtually the same day, arguing that bodily autonomy is a valid argument to prevent mask mandates, and that women cannot have bodily autonomy to terminate a pregnancy should they wish to do so.

Look at what the GOP have put their name to over just the last couple of years. Downplaying Covid, downplaying an attempted insurrection, attempting to undermine a valid election, cowtowing to an obviously incompetent President. At a state level they have introduced a raft of legislation to make it more difficult for some people to vote. They have not only been poor on Covid, they have introduced legislation preventing conscientious school boards from attempting to protect their staff and students.

Ted Cruz ran to Cancun when Texas had a snowstorm, AOC collected $5M for Texas support efforts. Mo Brooks is trying to inhibit an investigation in to the attempted insurrection, Cori Bush camped out to draw attention to, and build support for extending the eviction moratorium, which protected tenants from being evicted at this difficult time. (That extension was granted, but has sense been overruled.) Kelly Loeffler attended a Covid briefing in early 2020 and immediately sold millions in stock.

Kevin McCarthy was one of the first significant people to visit Trump in Mar-A-Lago, Bernie Sanders is visiting GOP areas, trying to build support for a 3.5T reconciliation Bill which among other things will expand healthcare.

Madison Cawthorn advocated violence as a response to Republicans losing further elections, Marjorie Taylor-Greene, downplayed the Holocaust, Lauren Boebert ranted against Government financial aid at CPAC, the 4 counties in her state with highest unemployment are all in her district.

Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnel both blamed Trump for the events of Jan 6th, neither of them voted to impeach him.

McConnell refused to let Obama nominate someone to the Supreme Court for the entirety of the last year of his Presidency, saying that it couldn't be done because of the upcoming election, he then allowed Amy Coney Barrett to be nominated and approved within 6 weeks of the Election at the end of Trumps term. The GOP held 11 enquiries in to Benghazi, they refused to support a full enquiry in to the insurrection on Jan 6th. In that insurrection, some Democrat members, were afraid of their lives, some GOP members were communicating directly with the President or were sending coded messages revealing the location of prominent Democrats.

No Republican, House or Senate voted for the pandemic relief bill, when it was passed, several of them campaigned on the back of having secured funding for their districts.

When the Covid vaccine was released, AOC brought a vaccine bus around her district which people could visit to get the vaccine, half the GOP members in the House refuse to say whether or not they themselves have been vaccinated. Last week, as New York suffered from Hurricane Ida, AOC's team texted people in their district asking 'Are you ok, do you need anything and saying if people indicated they needed assistance by responding to the text, someone would then get in touch directly. She also once again advocated for her Green New Deal being an effort to help limit/prevent the escalation of such events, the GOP refuse to acknowledge a link between current economy practices and climate change.

The 3 most indicted Presidents in history are Trump, Nixon and Reagan with 215, 76 and 26 indictments respectively associated with their administration. Three least indicted; Clinton, Carter and Obama with 2, 1 and 0 indictments respectively. Notice any correlation here with the parties both groups were members of?

Trump negotiated with the Taliban, freed 5000 of its soldiers and excluded the Afghan government from talks ahead of the planned departure of the US from the country. Biden actually went ahead and took the US out of there knowing that he was going to get massive stick for doing so. Trump literally refused to take responsibility for the Covid response, Biden said full responsibility for how the US ended up leaving Afghanistan was his, and his alone.

As I said, I know that the Dem's are far from perfect, and Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin are wolves in sheeps clothing. But to say that both sides are equally nuts but on opposite sides of the political spectrum is like saying that flat earthers and astrophysicists are comparable. It doesn't hold any water. At all.

• Advertisement

Just regarding the bit about the number of indictments that Trump has in the post above, his supporters wouldn't see those indictments as being evidence of being a bad president. They'd look upon them as phony political posturing and/or welcome evidence that the establishment hates Trump, and he is therefore doing something right.

Here ya go.

Somehow - it's all the media's fault.

Your brain would want to be almost flatlining to believe this stuff.

"In a statement issued through his leadership PAC, Save America, the former president called the audit report, which is slated for release Friday afternoon, a political bombshell that "has uncovered significant and undeniable evidence of FRAUD."

"Huge findings in Arizona! However, the Fake News Media is already trying to 'call it' again for Biden before actually looking at the facts-just like they did in November!" Trump said, invoking once again his baseless claim that the 2020 election had been stolen from him.

"This is a major criminal event and should be investigated by the Attorney General immediately," he added. "The Senate's final report will be released today at 4:00PM ET. I have heard it is far different than that being reported by the Fake News Media."

In a subsequent statement, Trump went into even more detail, claiming that the audit uncovered evidence of so-called "phantom voters" - mail-in ballots from voters who no longer live at the address on their voter file - as well as people who cast ballots in multiple counties.

"This is not even the whole state of Arizona, but only Maricopa County. It would only get worse!" Trump said. "There is fraud and cheating in Arizona and it must be criminally investigated! More is coming out in the hearing today."

While the draft report notes that 23,344 mail-in ballots were voted from a prior address, that doesn't necessarily indicate intentional wrongdoing. For example, more than 15,000 people who voted by mail from a prior address moved within Maricopa County prior to the registration deadline, according to the draft.

The forensic audit of the 2020 election in Maricopa County, where Phoenix is located, was initiated by the Republican-controlled Arizona state Senate in the months after Trump became the first GOP presidential candidate since 1996 to lose the state.

The state Senate hired a Florida-based firm called Cyber Ninjas to lead the audit, which was funded largely by nonprofit groups tied to proponents of Trump's rigged election claims.

A draft report that leaked ahead of the release of the official audit report, however, reaffirmed Biden as the winner of the presidential election in Maricopa County.

In fact, it showed the president winning 99 more votes than he did in the certified ballot count last year. Trump, meanwhile, came up 261 votes short of where he stood in last year's official results.

Despite that, the draft report refrains from saying the findings are conclusive and recommends a series of legislative reforms to address some issues with the elections system. Nevertheless, the draft report doesn't contain evidence of the kind of widespread voter fraud that Trump and his allies have alleged."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Random aside. My favourite thing about Maricopa county is that the town of Maricopa isn’t in it. It’s about 10 miles south of it.

The Phoenix metro area is insane for anyone who’s never been. People think Dublin is a sprawl, that thing goes on forever

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

Trump’s Plans for a Coup Are Now Public

Some of the plots to overturn the election happened in secret. But don’t forget the ones that unfolded in the open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Biden is a dead duck now, Harris spends her time laughing at questions from the press but at least she takes them so would be the best option to put up against Trump if he runs. America is in a very bad place if Trump, Biden or Harris is the best thy can do for running the country.

I'm not sure if you believe your own guff or if this is a poor attempt at a wind up.

Could I interest you in the idea that you spend your time better either way?

Hook this up into my veins... fox news lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s amazing how many of the Posters that dislike Biden also claim that Trump was terrible. These people were in short supply when Trump was running against Biden but have amazingly registered since the election and hold that view. It’s almost like they feel they have to say Trump was bad in a bid to make their actual opinion seem like it’s legitimate and not just lashing out because their saviour lost.

It's a ploy to make them sound believable, give them credibility, make it look like they are one of the crowd that doesn't like Trump.

It reminds me of this meme...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

To paraphrase your oft used retort, this isn't a Biden thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

But did they find bamboo in the ballots and did they taste of soy sauce when licked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Trump has already succeeded by sowing enough doubt in the electoral process to make the actual results of these "audits" irrelevant. It's sad and dangerous. You can be sure that there's plenty of fragile democracies around the world looking at this and shaking their heads.

The moral of the story is that if you continue to spout nonsense, even total and utter nonsense, you'll always get enough idiots to believe i. This ends up making the actual truth pretty much irrelevant. That's where the world is now, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Could i interest you in discussing why you think Trump is a good candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Why the hell is Texas now having an audit ? Trump won Texas and won it well. Do the GOP another understand that the midterms in 2022 need their base to vote and if you are casting doubt in states you won then why would their voters participate in an election process that they are being told isn’t on the up and up ?

• Advertisement

It's been mentioned by other posters that it's more about drumming up concerns over election security, using that concern to increase public and political support to enact laws which restrict ease of voting.

To come up with some BS justification for further electoral reform or gerrymandering that they likely have in the mix.

Either that or to sow distrust around future elections so at the very least they can claim it was stolen from them, but possibly, and much much more dangerously, so that if they were to carry out any voting shenanigans, they've muddied the waters for when people try to call them on it.

It's way way more than just Trump and his fragile ego at play here. Trump is just a decoy at this point through which they can manipulate things while pleading on about electoral integrity.

FFS, Bush won the election against Al Gore in 2000 when the Supreme Court stopped a recount going on in Florida (where Bush's brother was Governor). The margin of victory there was ultimately just 537 votes. I think it's fair to say, given Gores interest in Climate change, if he had won then, we'd be looking at quite a different landscape now than what we are looking at.

Yeah, the party of 'Law and Order', but not like that!!!

I know we have been blessed with this nimrod not being on our televisions/twitter/FB, but it's a shock to me how.... wacky he looks here. Did he always looks this mental?

I just find it funny that a partisan audit found less votes for the guy they were in favour of than the official tally. That is just absolutely hilarious.

The real core of Trump's support always need a day or two to figure out how they need to further distort their perception of reality to cope with yet another step on a rake such as this. It's like in that film Shutter Island where

Leonardo Dicaprio is briefly shook out of his delusion, only to sink back into it the moment he's left alone.

Because Trump is so, well, er...Trump, I never really thought of him as being an aul' lad. The hair, the fake tan, the comical hand gestures, they were distractions from the fact, to me. But even all his visual gimmicks are struggling to hide the increasing physical frailty he's showing. It's funny the way Trump supporters will talk about Joe Biden being a frail old man while ignoring that Trump is 75 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's not ignored, they know trump is in an awful state, obese, health issues, previous big health issues from his younger days. It's precisely why they try and attack others with this, it's another version of "both sides are as bad" so they can move on with shouting and hollering insults and slogans.

If both sides are as bad, it should follow that they would dislike both equally.

They are mentally unwell...

And he's a ****ing degenerate liar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Doesn’t sound to me, based on that clip, that people are buying the BS at all. Hardly a cheer when he mentioned it.

My bet is they simply stop mentioning it and move onto the next 'proof'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement