Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

How many more pages are you going to try and drag this shit out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭briany

You are essentially arguing that no leader is responsible for telling their followers to do bad things. Using this argument, Osama Bin Laden bears no responsibility for 9/11. After all, it was his followers doing the deed, and of their own volition.

Let's dispense with the very concerted efforts to dismantle any kind of objective truth - Trump's followers stormed the Capitol based on a lie that Trump was telling vociferously. For that, the least punishment Trump deserves is an end to his life in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'd be absolving them if I said that Trump was entirely to blame and the rioters shouldn't be blamed at all. That's not what I said. It's one event. The rioters are responsible for charging the Capitol. Trump is responsible for creating this environment of lies that then provoked these idiots to attack the Capitol. Multiple parties can be responsible for one event, it doesn't mean you're absolving one group of blame by saying that another party is also to blame for it.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree on that. Hopefully we can agree that both Trump and the rioters deserve to face consequences for what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

nobody is arguing that. has reading comprehension completely disappeared? Absent any mental issues adults are 100% responsible for their own actions. Trump is also responsible for his part in the attempted coup.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Precisely. I fail to see what is so hard to understand about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,643 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They are 100% responsible for their actions. And should be held accountable.

Same goes for Trump and his inner circle for bringing about the events of January 6th which they instigated and took pleasure in.

Came here to post about this. Still not breaking out any champagne, it's good to see movement towards holding these people responsible for all their actions. I'm still not overly confident that it will have a significant impact.

It's too easy for them to delay proceedings as much as possible, and then to claim any investigations are politically motivated in order to get people to back off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Hopefully the fact that Letitia James turned down the chance to run for governor in order to continue as AG indicates she's determined to see this out and make sure justice is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Ivanka Trump and Don Jr. REFUSE to comply with subpoena from Democrat New York AG Tish James in her civil investigation into whether their father inflated his property prices 

Hummm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Marjorie Taylor Green banned by Twitter for a preponderance of misinformation about Covid and masking. She is a major Trump supporter. But it’s doubtful Trump will pick her as his running mate in 2024. Good chance Trump will pick a woman, but not Green, to draw Republican and independent women voters.

Trump would be an idiot to look beyond Niki Halley in 2024 and even though it pains me to say it, I think even he is too smart to mess that up. MTG is more of a Chris Christie character, she'll go out to bat for Trump big time, but will never be seen as capable enough to justify being offered a significant role to.

The fact that MTG is so unashamedly pro-Trump, will work against her in the long run. She hasn't left any room to be anything else and there is nothing but trouble to be gained by giving her the notoriety of being a running mate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Nikki Haley is Trump’s best bet for 2024. She had been critical of Trump’s Jan 6 role. But has backed off since. Now supporting Trump.

I really still think he won't be the nominee, I'm prepared for having egg on my face however.

What do you think will be the reason he isn't the nominee?

• GOP refuse to select him
    • Criminal proceedings lead to him either directly, or indirectly being excluded
    • Health Concerns
    • He loses interest

I hope you're right and ideally it would be the first point, because of the stuff covered within the second that would ultimately do him in. But I am very sceptical of court/legal/criminal proceedings being allowed to go forward given how people will react if he says its only being done to keep him out of power. And the GOP have already shown that they are comfortable with supporting him even as they blame him for Jan 6th and spreading lies about the last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

My reason is nothing other then gut feeling if I'm being honest, which is a shite reason I know. But let's hope all those options come true 😁(and that his health isn't too badly affected) . Maybe I want it to be the case too much. But most likely I think the GOP might not select him.

Post edited by The Quintessence Model on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He'll lose interest / claim that the election is all fake / claim that it would be impossible for him to win because it's rigged against him / claim the GOP are all in on it as well so rather than let them pick him as the sure fire winner he'll pull out to spite them / will stand as an independent but forget to fill in the paperwork on time.

Whatever he does it will be someone else's fault and people will have cheated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I imagine she’s delighted. Everything that’s wrong with nutty American right wingers in one crazy package. More cancel culture nonsense, makes crazy claims breaks terms of conditions and claims being the victim. It’s like a GOP playbook at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭briany

GOP have no choice but to support him, no matter what he does, because his base - whose vote the GOP continues to seek - support him no matter what he does. Despite this idea that we often have that politicians are aloof to the wishes of the ordinary person, there are at least sometimes wishes that they cannot ignore unless they're happy to commit political suicide. You have your outliers like Liz Cheney, who have condemned Trump for the lies he has perpetrated, and their reward has been to be pushed to the margins of the party, or pushed out altogether. Under Trump, the Republican party has gone through an ideological purge, and any politician within the ranks of the party who want to maintain relevance and an opportunity to rise in the ranks must either be silent on Trump or be outspoken in their support.

There has not as of yet been any major movement within the party to get back to something like 'normality'. There doesn't appear to be much appetite for one. I'm sure that in private, many senior politicians within the ranks have crunched the numbers on doing just this and come to the regretful conclusion that their best bet is to grow a beard and parrot some truly idiotic lines.

Yeah. That's pretty clear. Graham and McConnel blaming him for Jan 6th and then not voting to hold him accountable and Kevin McCarthy going to visit him in Florida after he left the WH showed just what they were focused on. His 74M voters.

Having him give the Keynote at their CPAC last March while a gold statue of him was in the facility showed just where the party itself stands on Trump.

And when the new faces in the party are the likes of Cawthorn, Boebert, Gaetz and MTG, they've created quite the monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

What's even more pathetic is that a lot of people will actually send this oxygen thief $500.

She's even being called on some of her positions from within her own side.

This quote from her in the article is interesting. (Bold my emphasis)

"No FEMA should not set up testing sites to check for Omicron sneezes, coughs, and runny noses and we don't need FEMA in hospitals, they should hire back all the unvaccinated HCW [health care workers] they fired," the Georgia Republican wrote. "He needs to stop calling himself conservative, he's hurting our brand."

All these individual nut cases that Trump has emboldened could end up harming them sooner rather than later as they eat themselves from within. And while they may have been motivated in trying to keep the 74M who voted for him on side, he isn't a unifying or strategic type either so I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of this going on as time passes. Saw another video last week where two prominent conservative commentators were obviously falling out to some degree as Alex Jones had a go at Ben Shapiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Looks like another forensic audit has found...nothing. This time, in Texas.

Texas Election Audit Demanded by Trump Fails to Find Significant Voting Issues

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-election-audit-demanded-trump-fails-find-significant-voting-issues-1664815

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I saw that yesterday and I was fierce shocked. Ah no but it’s not a shock because she was ranting and raving about covid. No doubt she’ll cry foul and say she’s been censored or something like that. No, she’s been held accountable for stuff she’s said and not followed rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Yeah, confusion between the constitution and terms and conditions is rife with those types

Now that the the New York AG has issued subpoenas for Don Jr and Ivanka to testify in an alleged fraud civil case about the Trump Corporation. Let the stalling games begin.

This came out as quick as the news about the subpoenas.

Closely followed, by this.

Those last 7 words sound great, but we all know that that is not necessarily the case.

• Advertisement

Like father, his children learned the fine art of burying investigative attempts in a pile of legal challenges. Taking years to go through levels of state and federal court cases and appeals. Makes you wonder what they may be hiding? If not, why blow all the money in legal fees?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement