Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

One of those. I offered to put a grand on Biden if they showed me the betting slip. Never saw it though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The WiFi password might have been changed by the new owner when they took possession of the house. A bet is a bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭briany

Watching some of '4 Hours at the Capitol' about Jan 6th, there. A stark reminder of the ferocity shown on the day, especially the protestors forcing their way in. That crush at the door looked pretty harrowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It really is amazing how many people have spent so much time trying to downplay the violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,643 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I was working from home last year and had CSPAN channel on a separate screen and watched it live, starting from his speech. It was pretty incredible and then watching Twitter at the same time and the tweets from elected officials and how they felt about what was going on.

Felt right then like watching a piece of history unfold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The gaslighting was something else.

They were only a few.

They weren't violent.

They were just tourists.

No one brought a gun.

They were in fact antifa!

Trump didn't incite them.

All of which was said despite evidence which we saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And those claiming the rioters weren't violent, but instead most of them were like this lil' ol' meemaw.

How could the riot have been violent, if it was done by sweet ol' ladies like her?

Except she wasn't even at the Capitol. That pic was apparently taken at a local protest in Kansas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It’s still completely outrageous if you think about it.

And they want him to run again in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well Ron DeSantis is a possible contender for 2024.

That's if he makes it to 2024 of course. He disappeared for a few weeks but in a public appearance yesterday seems very short of breath and having difficulty speaking with voice trembling the more he speaks. Quite possibly has/had Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

This is very very good

Dispels any 'just tourist' defense

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

All sorts of restrictions on viewing on Youtube; must provide a credit card, etc. Never saw this before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Bloody hell that's a tough watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It really was. It was like 9/11. I remember watching the news before going to work on afternoon shift in previous job. Plane 1 had hit. Phoned my mam telling her to turn on the news. Was a terrible accident. Went in to the shower, when I came out, plane 2 had hit. On the way into work met a mate and he was listening in on his phone about the Pentagon. I remember saying "Ah, they are freaking out now. A large bird hitting a window will be seen as an attack". Of course then we arrived at work and got the confirmation.

For this I was watching on CNN and switching to BBC. From one news station to another. Was Whatsapping my team of workmates (Some based in the US) "Are you WATCHING this? Holy Crap!" (Followed by "WTF is a thick Kerry bogger doing reporting for CNN?").

There's a reason his klan have stopped trying to justify trump and his terrorists on this forum.... There IS no justification. Many MANY of us watched it unedited, LIVE on TV. Without fox "news" spin. Watched his speech before. Watched his statement during. There is no revisionist reassessing. We watched and wondered "Where the hell are the soldiers? Where is the backup for the police? This is going to go pear-shaped.... Annnnnnnnnnddddd there is goes"

I know it sounds overly-dramatic but that day was the day we all knew that American democracy was f*cked forever. And we knew that those images were going to be the DEFINING image of trumps presidency.... And deservedly so. It SHOULD be the defining image of the Republican Party because while they don't condemn him, they condone him. When they don't condemn him, they say to the world: "He speaks for us. Everything he says is the official opinion of the Republican Party"

Edit: Fixed typo

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There's a reason his klan have stopped trying to justify trump and his terrorists on this forum

they were still trying to gaslight people 2 months ago. they've just taken a break. they will be back again trying the same lies. that is the trump way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Mid-terms November 2022 will see Republicans win the US House. Historically this often happens where the opposition party to the sitting president wins control. That will mean a new Speaker of the House. Followed by many committee changes. The Speaker may take Trump’s place as leader of the GOP. Only time will tell.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The WH Incumbent party pretty much always loses seats in the mid-term - I read an article the other day from Nate Silver I think and the WH party has only increased mid-term seats twice in the last ~50 years.

They don't always lose control though , although the numbers and races are definitely not in the Democrats favour right now , that's for sure.

The current GOP "Speaker" is Kevin McCarthy , if the GOP retake the house and if McCarthy gets the votes for Speaker (the MAGA nutters are not fans of his so it's not a gimme for him by any means) he absolutely will not become a "leader" for the GOP or replace Trump - He is utterly without charisma and is the absolute definition of a beta follower.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Guess. Dems lose control of both US Senate and House November 2022. They will block Biden. Trump will get 2024 Republican nomination. Trump will run against Biden. It will be a close election. If Trump loses again, he will attempt another insurrection using his proxy block of followers.

There's a great channel on Youtube called Channel 5 with Andrew Callaghan (formerly All Gas No Brakes). He goes around America turning up to different events where extreme type people are known to congregate and interviews them. He's just dropped a 40+ minute phone interview with the currently-incarcerated 'Q Shaman', Jake Angeli. Whether or not you think 41 months in jail is a fair sentence or not, I think he should be doing it in a mental facility, given his ramblings. Guaranteed, with the amount of time he has to sit around and let all these theories swirl around in his head, he'll come out worse than before.

Cal Thomas was on the last word, spouting what I can only describe as a disgusting attempt at a defence of the mob's behaviour.

Revolting.

Cooper isn't able to deal with the volume of BS spouted each time and so most goes unchallenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah Cal's most recovered from the worst of his Trump fanboy-isms tbf. Hes much milder than last year.

Not from what I heard.

I swear to god, there is zero point in having a "both sides" debate if one is spouting pure bullsh1t and it goes unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Biden nailing Trump on the 6th January riots.

About damn time. The Dems have to show a very clear course against traitors. The only people who constantly bleat about "you can't attack republicans, it'll cost you the election" are republican shills

Nail every last one of them. Ignore the whining.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The speech may well go down as the defining moment of his presidency IMO.

“Here’s the truth: a former president of the United States of America has created and spread a web of lies about the 2020 election. He’s done so because he values power over principle.”

“I did not seek this fight, brought to this Capitol … But I will not shrink from it either. I will stand in this breach, I will defend this nation. I will allow no one to place a dagger at the throat of this democracy.”

That said, the most powerful remark was in the moments after his speech in response to a question from the press.

“The way you have to heal, you have to recognise the extent of the wound,”

Hopefully the Dem's will now stop pussyfooting around the issue of how to handle the QOP and be aggressive in holding all who gave support to Trump to account.

I agree with taking a stand against the kind of insanity that has been sweeping America the last few years, but I can also understand the hesitancy. The looneys feed off any kind of firm rhetoric from the likes of Biden. A prominent right-wing talking head like Alex Jones can make real hay with it, and spin it in all sorts of mad ways, riling up his listeners no end.

It's sort of 'damned if you do and damned if you don't', so I guess that Biden must at some point, 'do' and at least make that stand. But to really lower the temperature of the USA's political atmosphere without physically having it out, there has to be enough politicians across both parties who agree to put certain principles above political affiliation. That was an arrangement that existed in the past, and was taken for granted, and then lost in the last 10 years or so, and now must be reestablished.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

But why keep retreating? Why pussyfoot around the issue? Always the same "ooh, mustn't rock the boat" while the republicans are screaming about this with a crimson face?

Fcuk that sh*t, the Dems are gonna have to come at this arms swinging. Why do the democrats always have to hold back while the republicans are literally preparing for armed combat?

It is 100% clear the reps have the singular aim to seize power by any means and at any cost

And they must be stopped by all and any means necessary. This is the precursor to civil war and whining, kowtowing and always retreating is not going to work.

My personal opinion, I wouldn't have seen it as a tragedy had Trump ended up like Mussolini. Being tolerant of intolerance is an absolute no-go. If you want to preserve a democracy, you must go after it's enemies without any hesitation. They will always scream blue murder, if you're hesitant or not. So don't be hesitant.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

I'm trying to look at this from both sides of the argument. I think on balance, the Democrat party of the USA stand to gain more from political stability than the Republican party does. Therefore, they're going to exhaust every other possibility of peaceably regaining political stability before rolling up the sleeves and inviting a whole other level of instability.

It's a tough decision to make and quite an existential one, and bears more thinking about than just going, 'Oh yeah, they should get stuck in."

Don't get me wrong - getting stuck in should be an option. It's just that I can understand why it's one the Democrats are hesitant to use.

The crowning achievement and enduring legacy of Trumps Presidency as screened by LADBible on YouTube : Sadly, it has a very downbeat epilogue indeed. (Trump was acquiited of inciting an insurrection) well worth it's time in watching if you can stomach it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7h49Q98OVs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I don't think Donald will have to worry about the remote possibility of Ted Cruz challenging him in a primary. He gave a speech in the senate saying Jan 6 riots were a terrorist attack and made a further fool of himself on Tucker Carlson last night. Both the left and right are hammering him on twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Creatures like Alex Jones make hay (And a LOT of money) from everything. They make hay from murdered children! And their listeners will hoover up any kind of disgusting lies they Peddle-For-Profit. No matter how insane or hurtful to innocents they are (As a matter of fact,, that's not true. Jones and the likes THRIVE on the misery of innocents like some sort of disgusting GOP vampire). We have had posters on THIS site claim that Jones is a hero!

So ANYTHING Biden says or does will be pounced upon by these creatures and their klans. So it's time to go on the offensive. Each and every election/presidential-based comment from trump and his klan is categorically, conclusively proven to be lies with verifiable,, demonstrable, accepted (Even by members of their own party) evidence. Biden's speech simply stated this as a fact. It's time to stop humouring these people. It's time to combat lies with facts. It's time to call a spade a spade. When someone is lying, you call them a Liar. When someone with immense power lies to a group of angry people, stating that they have been lied to and cheated and their vote stolen and that they have to "fight like hell" to stop being cheated. When they do that KNOWING that they are lies then you call them a Traitor to their nation. When someone attempts to halt a president being officially voted in then you call them an Insurrectionist or a Terrorist.

Unfortunately there is NO reduction of temperature in the USA political atmosphere at the moment because trump and the GOP are, plainly and simply, lying to, and cheating and stealing from, the American people. As I said before, while the GOP does not denounce him and everything he stands for and says, he speaks for his party and EVERY comment he makes is official GOP policy.

I know what you are saying and, you are right, this may lead to an escalation. But there is a time to stand.

In short:

• trump is a Traitor to America
    • His terrorists are Traitors to America
    • EVERY member of his party who doesn't condemn him is a Traitor to America
    • EVERY American person who accepts what happened on Jan 6 is a Traitor to America

These traitors (100%) are the only ones speaking so far. They have the platform with fox and those jesus channels. They have the hatred. They have the threats of violence. And if you only hear the voice of traitors then all is lost there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement