Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And we are back to looking for loopholes.

When, during the HC classified email witch-hunt, did Trump supporters ever argue about level of classified? Or exactly how many emails?

He illegally removed classified information. Information that the archives had to retrieve. Ie they weren't handed back, he wanted to keep them.

Trump was right about shooting someone on 5th. Posters like CF would argue whether 3 or bullets were used, the exact model of gun, or whether it was really 5th since the person died around the corner.

How many times did they repeat the now debunked ties between trump and Russian banks too. The lies that Sussman made up. A little bit of searching could unearth a treasure trove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Funny you call it a witch hunt when private servers were used, 30,000 email were deleted using bleachbit , and phones smashed to destroy evidence. Did you argue that what she did was Illegal? Was it illegal, yes or no? If Trump was able to hand them over to the records office then it's fair to say that unlike your poor witchunted Hillary he didn't destroy classified info.

Over the course of the investigation, the agents found thousands of emails that contained information that should have been treated as government secrets, Comey said Tuesday, including eight messages that had Top Secret information in them. All those messages had been sent or received through unsecure, unclassified channels on Clinton’s private e-mail network. And while agents found no direct evidence that the network was hacked, the FBI thinks it is possible some “hostile actors” may have done so. That combination of facts led Comey to declare Tuesday that Clinton and her aides had been “extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive, highly classified information.”

Trump was right about shooting someone on 5th. Posters like CF would argue whether 3 or bullets were used, the exact model of gun, or whether it was really 5th since the person died around the corner.

You mean like how posters on here spent weeks saying that protesters killed a cop on Jan 6 by smashing a fire extinguisher over his head when it never actually happened but bashed people that had the audacity to challenge that story.

I thought you were saying he was responsible for hackings. 😂

Joffe and Sussman are two different people. Do you deny how much Trumps links to Russia banks was spoken about on boards? It was the thing that was finally going to get him, once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Tell us what other ID you were using then and maybe we'll answer.

You agree that dns data between trump tower, trump apartment and the executive office of the United States was ‘gathered’, Durham alleges all the way up until a couple of weeks into trumps presidency. I’ve posted about this previously.

I call this spying since Durham said the intent to ‘gather’ this information was for the purpose of disseminating derogatory information about Trump. A use that was not previously specified for gathering this information(only from the EOP). Information that has since been investigated and debunked.

We could nit pick about the definition of spying until the cows come home and not get anywhere, and you are correct no one is being charged with spying, yet, but it was included in the factual background submitted by Durham. How did they get access to trump tower and his apartment, there was no previous arrangement to collect that dns data.

There are many take aways. One important one I noticed last night while researching this story was that Jake Sullivan is the ‘foreign policy advisor’ mentioned in Durham’s filings and he currently serves as the national security advisor for Joe Biden. Jake Sullivan who was pushing the Russia hoax for years is the foreign policy advisor and right now we are seeing tensions with Russia never seen before.

This mentality of ‘let’s use anything to attack Trump- even if it isn’t true’ has real world consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

What do you think about Donnie having to testify as part of the NY investigation or his accountants cutting ties with him? You seem very concerned about spying allegations but not so much about the actual investigations into the former President.

• Advertisement

I don’t care about dear ‘Donnie’ in the slightest. I care how a system that can implicitly collude to attack people that don’t conform, but I guess this is a discussion for another thread. I was trying to have this conversation about Durham in the Biden thread but my posts were deleted. In fact one of your mates reprimanded me for it, take it to the trump thread they told me. I’m certainly not trying to divert any conversation from any other stories about Donnie. Please don’t let me stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I can assure you you have me mixed up with someone else. I’m aware of that poster too and it’s not me. What was misinformation is now disinformation. Focusing on the person and the character is a cheap deflection. It’s needless, childish and arrogant. It stinks of ‘I have nothing better to say’.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

How aware of that poster are you? Tell us what you know about that poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Anyone taking bets on how long his new social media platform will last?

Gonna guess 6 months.

1 month before the first hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm more interested in how many seconds go by before they curtail "freedom of speech" on the platform :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

24 hours to the first hack. They've given warning as to when it'll launch.

Lasts about 6 weeks. Then, like a miracle, it'll be gone.

And it'll be gone before there's a published Durham Report.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Freedom of speech.... unless you say anything negative about Trump or the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Hard to say. Social Media RELIES on advertising/data-mining. and the broader the pool, the more valuable it is to their customers (Remember the adage: If you get a product for free, YOU are the product. This is especially true for Social Media).

I know they have a paid platform too but I believe their social media platform is standard Twitter-clone and Freeeeeee!!!!!! (With an eagle in there somewhere).

So Social Media relies on how valuable the data-mined information is. The broader the demographic, the more valuable it is. By its very nature, this is going to have quite a narrow demographic. Even if a HUGE amount of people sign up for it it will be a narrow field. Business is business, if a company thinks it can use the info, it will buy it. And this is well and good. But if it's already telling them what they already know, then why buy the info.

If they rely on advertising, many companies may be deterred. May wish to avoid the association. Again, in general, business decision. Companies could give a flying f*ck about politics unless it impacts sales.

So it's hard to say, they may get 100 million in the first month!!! Some companies WILL pay for this info and advertise if they are: Typically aiming for an older and obviously more conservative demographic,

I don't agree with hacking the site. This leads to a tit-for-tat situation. The site touts that there will be no censorship (But also, somehow, close content inspection) so there is a more than fair chance that this will descend into another site dedicated to conspiracy theories and hate groups. You can bet it will be monitored closely by intelligence communities, As is every other Social Media platform. But the company will claim that they are being overly scrutinised. I would prefer that their own descent into hate speech would cause the site to fail than any outside wannabe hacker script kiddies DDOSing it.

• Advertisement

I'm not I agree that the broader the pool the more valuable it is. A well defined demographic can be just as valuable to advertisers. Not all advertisers obviously but for a certain group of advertisers it will be golden. expect plenty of advertisements for hunting supplies and cast-iron investment opportunities. trump supporters are not if not gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think I saw somewhere there will also be an optional subscription with additional features. Because even if the money they got from advertisers was more than enough to sustain the site, Trump's always going to stick his hand out for more money anyway.

Yeah, I was originally going to say something similar. More aimed at investments/retirement funds (Free-up-all-that-equity-in-your-house type thing), hunting, firearms, and home security. Churches. The sort of ads you see on all these "Challenge" and "Yesterday" type stations here (Minus the weaponry😀). But it's a known factor. It will be quite static. So there would be an initial interest from these companies but really, is it going to change much as time goes on? Facebook was so valuable for so long because it has a broad demographic and that changes. Attitudes change amongst their userbase. People who signed up for Facebook 10-15 years ago are very different now with different interests and potentially different outlooks on life than they had 15 years ago. And it's this kind of mining that's gold (No pun intended).

I mean, I don't wish it well and don't believe it will last (Not going to give a timeline as these things can limp on for years. I think myspace is still a thing :) ). It will start with much fanfare. Once you filter out the trump bluster and number-fudging, you will get a real number of 25-50% of the initial claim. I don't wish it well, it will become a cesspit of hate and fearmongering but I would prefer that it eats itself alive and causes its own downfall rather than any external influence.

I don't think advertisers will be thinking 10-15 years ahead. they will have a ripe audience now that they will exploit for as long as they can. Which will probably be months at best.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's hard to see it building any kind of stable income stream and that's before you factor in Trumps well established incompetence at running businesses.

There'll be lots of fanfare when it eventually launches with all the usual suspects breathlessly announcing that they have signed up to it in order to display their fealty - Every one of them will keep their Twitter/Facebook accounts going though as that is where the money is.

They will post something on Truth Social and then cross post it to the other platforms and all the revenue and interactions will happen over there not on the Trump site.

I mean , does anyone really think that Liz Harrington or whoever is going to stop cross posting Trumps latest bout of verbal diarrhea to Twitter once Truth Social launches?

After a short period of time , most will just stop bothering with posting to Truth Social as it simply won't be a factor in generating Revenue for any of them.

It will limp on only for as long as Trump can milk it for cash - If the SPAC deal/scam they are working on doesn't come through , it will fall away really rapidly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And speaking of milking things for money.

It turns out that Trump has been billing his "Save America" PAC for rent for an office they've never used in Trump Tower to the tune of $375k last year -

Which is more money than the PAC has given to all GOP candidates combined the same time frame.

The $375,417 Trump spent for the unused office space is more than the $350,500 that his Save America committee donated last year to Republican candidates running for office, which is ostensibly Trump’s purpose for raising money for his committees.

Make America great indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Rawr

This is all assuming they put enough thought and planning into the server-end of things. Given Trump’s record with tech projects (or projects in general) I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole system bricks itself on Day One due them cheaping out on the server (the one server, because I don’t think they’ll have anyone sharp enough to do a multi-server solution) with anything that did work end up being a slow bug-filled mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Let's not forget that mastodon (the underlying platform) only has an IOS app so if you are an android user there is no app for you.

Oh, without doubt.

I was surmising about the business aspects of it , but you are absolutely correct.

This will have been built on the absolute cheapest possible platform with the cheapest possible security and redundancy infrastructure.

I have no doubt that it will be hacked on launch day (along with being utterly swamped with spam and bots of every flavour) and that the most basic of DDOS attacks will take it off line repeatedly.

All that instability will simply accelerate the exodus of traffic to the mainstream platforms - As I said the boot-lickers will still cross-post to it to show loyalty , but all the money and effort will go on their existing Twitter , Facebook and Instagram accounts.

• Advertisement

That is a VERY valid concern. These platforms need a LARGE serverbase and have large and continuous costs. They can often take years to make a profit as initial investment (If done right) is large.

This is the most likely impact initially. I'd say it is very likely they will crash their own servers (Which they will blame on "hackers" of course). Pretty much guaranteed to meltdown within first day and again within first week. Even without any "attack".

And if/when it does descend into a hate-speech site it risks being deplatformed from the major services such as AWS (Amazon) or Azure (Microsoft) or GCP (Google) - if they are on them currently.

If they are hosting themselves, they are looking at tens of millions of dollars a year to really be "enterprise" level. And I can't see their costs being much different if they went to a cloud solution such as AWS/Azure. While initial investment may be less, their DDoS remediation costs could soon eat up that saving. And a smaller cloud/DDoS protection solution may simply refuse to host them due to the impact on their other customers.

TLDR: As said others have said above, if they cheap out, they will crash and burn even without "libtard hackers"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement