Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

And easy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Who said I hated it? I don't care enough about it to hate it. It's just something to laugh at. As for "getting bigger all the time", the ratings are still dreadful so not sure where you got that from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Who'd a thunk?..... Oh wait, EVERYONE!!!

Of course what will happen next (After they blame "Libtards", MSM, BLM, Hilary, SJWs, the LGBTQ+ community and others) is that the hosting service will have to drop them if it has taken down other (I'm sure equally enlightened) sites. This will of course mean that this company is immediately traitorous, un-American and downright commie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"getting bigger all the time" is the new merely continuing to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I expect the interwebs will be full of screencaps of angry rants about jews or whatever once this gets going. Parler was a source of endless entertainment before it ground to a halt. We'll be seeing lots of Trump Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Your post exemplifies the problem in my opinion.

You're belittling people, talking down to them based on what they watch because you think you know better.

You should take a moment to ask yourself why these outlets are on the rise?

It's because there is a market for it.

That's because people are genuinely concerned at the direction of society, their own prospects and know they are not listened to.

They have left leaning policies shoved down their throats on top of being told what to think and how to think.

And they see those policies affecting their own communities particularly through things like crime and taxation.

The danger as we have seen is if they keep being ignored then you get Trump and Brexit etc

And all that is because they don't care anymore and it's payback.

It's payback for the attitude exemplified in your post.

The Trump election was a huge kick up the backside to an establishment that just doesn't get it. And it's going to happen again. Maybe it won't be Trump, it will be someone else or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The problem is right wing neo-cons of various shades, manipulating media output to get people to buy their lies about the sources of peoples discomfort so that then they can get their desired outcome knowing that they will be insulated from the negatives that will hit most of the people who suffer as a consequence of this outcome.

And then have them, and their apologists to point at the people who said all this sh*t would happen and say you're the ones to blame for allowing this to come about.

I'm no longer annoyed at seeing this happen, I'm quite angry about it. I have friends and family members in the UK who are suffering in many ways as a consequence of the governance and media content of the last ten years and I see no reason why to let the people who are to blame for this off the hook.

In the US context, the problem wasn't that the Democrats picked Hillary, as people who make the same argument as yourself have made, it is that people facilitated Donald for their own means thinking that they could make a mess and the Democrats would prevent it getting too bad.

The vast majority of people who turn to the harder right or left media are not racists or crazy people. They aren't even persuaded by them either way.

They are just ordinary people who are fed up and see things not getting better for them or their families.

They can't vote as they normally would because they know it makes no difference so it's protest voting

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They are just ordinary people who are fed up and see things not getting better for them or their families.

which makes them easy marks for the likes of Trump, Farage and the right wing media.

Precisely, it's a protest. Most of them probably don't even agree with what they offer but voters know the best bloody nose they can give to establishment politicians who are failing them is to vote for a Farage or a Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

While there's a certain amount of truth to that, you'd hope that at some point they might realise that their protest votes actually made things worse for them.

and ain't that working out well for them. they're idiots for the most part for falling for that nonsense.

I don't disagree with your first sentence.

I might have agreed with all of it a few years ago. But the people in the UK have looked at things steadily get worse over the last ten years, a decline which accelerated after Brexit and they voted for the same people who were in power for all that time.

People in the US watched the unmitigated sh*tshow that was Trumps Presidency and 74M said, 'Please Sir, can I have some more'.

Those aren't protest votes. They are either votes showing a comfort with the actions of both parties while they were in power, or an ignorance of what the reality truly was/is in which case I think the likes of GB News, Fox and the rest hold way more responsibility than those of us who have been pointing stuff out all along.

A lot of this goes back to the 2008 financial crisis which damaged so many people and most have yet to recover from that. Events like that have long term consequences and I think we are still seeing the knock on effects play out today.

I agree it is alarming to think that an incompetent corrupt buffoon like Trump could actually win again.

It's up to the establishment to make things better for ordinary people. Then they won't be turning to individuaks like that in protest or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its bemusement not outrage was a recurring quote on that thread.

It wasn't bemusement though, it was bile and it was outrage, quite similar to this thread really.

An outlet for certain posters to vent their anger on an almost daily basis.

That "poster" as you refer to him was like the Pied Piper.

Also - Who says anyone here are "Libs"?

Not many Liberals here, Liberal' shares a root with 'liberty' and can mean anything from "generous" to "loose" to "broad-minded."

People who demand you think a certain way are not Libs.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's up to the establishment to make things better for ordinary people.

No argument there either, but we don't see that do we. What has gone on in the UK over the last 6 years in particular has been shameful and even the announcements today about removing final covid legal restrictions while stopping the provision of free tests is more of the same.

And the reason why this is facilitated, and why Donald in the US is is because of outlets such as Fox and others who are pushing their agenda.

Fox simultaneously have their own vaccine mandate, encourage their viewers to not get the vaccine and to push back against mandates and then blame Biden for not having achieved better vaccination rates.

None of this is a coincidence or hard to see and yet they get a pass for doing so. Not calling out those who seek to get to the same situation in the UK is only something people with their own ulterior motives would do.

People who demand you think a certain way are not Libs.

Like people who push overt nationalism and love for 'the Flag'? What are they?

Post edited by Tell me how on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’d love to know what “hard left media” exists. It would be right up my alley.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

There is usually a couple of oul' lads outside the GPO selling something like The Morning Star. Perhaps that is what they mean?

I suppose you could count An Phoblacht then as well. Fair enough. We’re really winning the battle for the minds of the youth.

they/them/theirs

They all look like they could belt out The Internationale at the drop of a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think you're right that Trump was a protest vote for many. I also think that when he never seems to get punished for breaking any laws it's just an example of how there's a separate set of rules for those with enough money. It'll make people even more cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

I love the argument of "I'm tired of having that liberal crap rammed down my throat"

What happened to "In my day we wouldn't get insulted like those lefty snowflakes"?

And maybe we are tired of having that right-wing crap rammed down our throats and we are forced to act because of it? Are you upset because you can't say the N Word anymore? Are you triggered because a woman told you to cram your "make me a sandwich" joke? Because you think minorities and the LGBTQ community have gotten a bit too lippy for your liking?

As for the protest vote, eating a sh*t sandwich because you don't like the food is not helping you.

And complaining because we make fun of right-wingers, whatever happened to free speech?

It's amazing how fast these tough, rugged people who "can take a joke" crumble into a blubbering mess because a leftie was mean to them.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

I’d like to thank this more than once.

Free speech advocates who just want to tell it like it is. But who are also outraged that people are mean to them.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

How many people stopped posting here saying it’s just an echo chamber? Effectively saying I’m not posting here because people don’t agree with me. Always the victims, always someone to blame.

Also let's just remember there's no substantial left in the US in politics. So I'm not sure what left they're turning their backs on.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

So is he in jail yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Actual investigations tend to require following the law, interviewing people, reviewing thousands of documents etc. They take time when they're done right.

They tend to require a lot more than just getting a crowd to chant "LOCK HER UP!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement