Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

The biggest complainers about misinformation are the largest purveyors of it. Projection all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

They asked you a question, not made a claim. Or are you doubting the news source?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Defending #2xIMPOTUS in the Russia thread. Sad. Cowardly and sycophantic

• Advertisement

A loaded question, obviously you will ignore that. Isn’t this thread about trump? Seems you’re always more interested in a pile on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

To get back on track. I actually find it odd that the GOP haven't seized this opportunity to throw trump under the bus and disassociate themselves from him (However false that would be).

The whole world bar dictatorships, trump and fox are horrified by this invasion. The GOP should have seized this moment to say "Look, we are not aligned with these dictatorships. We stand against a common enemy with the rest of the world. Reagan and the GOP helped bring down the Berlin Wall and the USSR and we won't stand by while it is rebuilt. This is not a time for politics but for a time for what is right. Yes, we have differences but the time of division id in the past. We need to unite against a common foe. We now realise that standing with trump was a mistake. The depth of his involvement in this corrupt regime was hidden to all. We are a better, stronger unified GOP. A new era where we can bring GOP policies to the world" yadda yadda yadda. All BS of course but it would give them an "out" from trump's grip. When trump rails against them (Which he would), they could absolutely point to all his dealings with Russia and say "Here, loyal GOP voters, we were wrong. He was swindling us as well as you. This lover of dictators is not the GOP way. It's not the AMERICAN way". Then they can bring in whoever they wanted. Someone who would tow their line.

I mean, as I say, it would be all bluster and BS but it would be their "out" and be rid of him quite quickly. Sure, he could (would) form his own "party" and this would split the republican vote and they would not get in in the next election. But better to take that hit and reclaim some of this moral high ground they so covet. if they don't they will be stuck with trumpism for years.... and years... and years. Each one more toxic than the last and bringing them more and more to the fringe. They would lose their moderate voters and have a harder time being elected going forward. 20 years from now, who would a moderate republican vote for? Democrat party with a LARGE moderate Republican voter base that they need (And need to keep happy). A party that loves and respects their country or a more and more fringe party who bases their policies on the ravings of conspiracy theory sites, racists and homophobes and special interest groups with enough money to buy a one-note news station. Not even a real station.

They've been given plenty of opportunity, they won't because they'll hemmorage votes

No, I'm more concerned with holding posters to account, but you seem more concerned with evasion. So what do you think of Trump's endorsement of putin's actions?

• Advertisement

He literally incited a violent insurrection to storm the Capitol and the GOP rolled over to not hold him accountable.

If they practiced 5% of the rhetoric they spout, two things would have happened. Firstly, the second amendment enthusiasts who say it is needed to prevent a tyrannical government would have used their guns to prevent him from inciting people to interrupt the process laid out in the constitution. Secondly, the supposed party of Law and Order would prosecute him fully for his actions.

Neither of these things happened. Instead, less than 6 weeks after Jan 6th, the GOP had a gold statue of Trump at their CPAC where he was the keynote speaker.

They showed their true colours then, and those who have come out in recent weeks showing support for Putin as he invades Russia should make it clear to everyone how far off the reservation these people have gone.

History will judge them very very harshly, unless they are allowed to write it and as we have seen with their attack on the teaching of events already happened, they very much expect to be able to do so. Deplorably selfish and evil characters have taken hold of the Republican Party. They will not change unless they are destroyed in elections and replaced with people with some semblance of what right and wrong is and unfortunately, because of the nature of the two party system, that is unlikely to happen any time soon.

Absolutely. But better to take this hit now than for the next 20 years. The next few years are going to be dealing with the fallout of Covid and Russia and energy crises and other issues. Globally. It could be a very stagnant 3 or 4 years. Do you want to be the party who is in power in a couple of years. Dealing with the fag-end of global stagnation or do you want to take this opportunity to "reinvent" yourself and reinvest in core values and come out and the new GOP for a new dynamic generation. Gone are all the old men of the past. We embrace the past but bring a generation looking to bring the past into the future..

All that crap

Oh the **** statue. LITERALLY a golden icon. I know "literally" has come to mean figuratively but the bible bashers literally LITERALLY had a golden icon...

I like to believe that many GOP voters are (almost) as horrified at trump as everyone else in the free world (Obviousyy excluding dictatorships and their mouthpieces such as RT and fox news) and would welcome a chance to get the party back to their roots (Even if I don't agree with them. It is still better than the Monster Raving Loony Party they are now). Maybe I'm just a bit naive...

And... sigh... Yeah... Their LITERAL LITERAL golden icon would suggest I am wrong.. Oh well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

they/them/theirs

Wasn't there a President who campaigned on a slogan of 'Fake News' while telling 40,000 lies while in office?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

I suspect the letita James investigation will be hardest for him to shake.

I just can't see them getting anything to stick regarding Jan 6th but that's my opinion and may very well be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Panrich

It's amazing that there are simpletons still trying to justify support for Trump. He is an absolutely vile human being, who has been shown numerous times to only be interested in what furthers his ego and bank balance.

I cannot fathom how anyone with a semblance of intelligence can support this charlatan. They must be trolling at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Is Trump once again praising Putin. While he makes war?

As of today 42.9% of Americans have a favourable opinion of Donald Trump.

He is also bookies favourite to win the election in 2024.

So maybe every bookmaker on the planet and about 150 millions Americans are all trolling at the same time in some huge undercover operation but that would be impossible because as you say we are simpletons with no semblance of intelligence.

Just because you don't like him doesn't mean others don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Yes, because he is a bottom of the barrell, complete and utter piece of ****.

Amazingly, there are still those here who cannot accept that he truly is what people say he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They you have been given numerous reasons why you shouldn't like him, and yet despite them you still do.

So either you agree with him, and support his activities and actions, or you are trolling.

Thats the point. Nobody is saying you aren't allowed to like him, but if you do you need to accept that people will correctly take it you like what he says and does.

So, for example, you stand behind Putin rather than the right to sovereignty and democracy.

I do not agree with everything Trump has done or said as I hope you don't agree with everything Biden has done or said.

Did you like it when Biden had to drop out of the 1988 presidential race for plagiarism?

Or the 1994 crime Bill?

We do not have to like everything our favoured politician does.

Donald trump is a shady business man and everything but a conventional politician but the fact is Donald trump was the president for 4 years and the world didn't blow up and was actually in a safer more economically stable place than it is today.

So that was the point, to drag me into this thread with false assumptions about me? It seems you’ve at least withdrawn one of the premises of your loaded question, but still not progress enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Christy42

I would argue that the world was a lot less well off for security and economically when Trump left office than when he started. The man's greatest quality as president was taking frequent golfing trips and not doing his job.

Checking your list it seems mad that plagiarism knocked Biden out of a Presidential race. If you think of the standard today and the weekly scandals we had with Trump it seems weird that that would end a campaign.

Personally I have issues with Biden but they tend to be irrelevant in a US context since my issue is he isn't left wing enough so it is a case of we'll he isn't far right which makes him the better option in a 2 horse race. Would have preferred Bernie.

I would be lying if I said I didn't have a soft spot for Bernie myself and I think many on the right do surprisingly.

Jamaal Bowman seems to be a name making waves for 2024 but I dont know anything about him or how far left he is to be honest.

Not just Trump. Steve Bannon, Rudy Giuliani, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Candace Owens and the usual hangers on desperate to be seen to be on team Trump.

Literally went to Twitter after posting my comment and was met with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭briany

Terrible watching a bit of Fox News's coverage last night (I only switched over because British news channels had gone to rest). I was initially heartened that they expressed support for Ukraine, but as ever they somehow managed to make the whole thing about Joe Biden. I wonder if there exists a scenario grave enough that the usual talking heads in the US wouldn't use it for petty point scoring?

On the other hand, the UK's response has been relatively civilised. Major domestic news channels have all treated this with the seriousness it deserves, and even in the House of Commons, there is a rare sense of accord.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Bowman is an AOC/Warren/Bernie democrat. So moderately left in European terms, just to the left of Stalin in US terms.

Zero chance of getting the nomination

they/them/theirs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement