Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Trump will be 78 by the next election and he is definitely obese. I see these two factors catching up with him.

Being 78 shouldn't be an issue. That's Biden's age now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

BattleCorp wrote: »

It is given trump's physical state, look at what has emerged from Mar-a-Lago as he prepares himself for the senate trial:

Trump-Cheese.png

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

More good news for trump coming from Scotland https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-55912670

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

everlast75 wrote: »
    Giddy up!

BTW - What on earth do trump supporters think when the people Trump surrounds himself turn out to be criminals? Is it not at all telling?

Do they think

a) Those people are only being prosecuted unfairly - it is the deep state or

b) everyone is a crook, don't be so naive or

c) everyone should commit crimes - it's the way to achieve the American dream baby?

They don't think. That's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭briany

BattleCorp wrote: »

There's a concern with Trump that his lifestyle will catch up with him, given his lifelong sleep deficit plus his penchant for fast food and soft drinks. You look at Trump, and he's also a bit chunky. At his 2019 health checkup, he would have been classed as obese, and he put on a pound at his 2020 weigh in.

So, if Trump remains on that physical trajectory, there'll be added risk factors for him at 78 that aren't there for Biden at 78.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

briany wrote: »
    There's a concern with Trump that his lifestyle will catch up with him, given his lifelong sleep deficit plus his penchant for fast food and soft drinks. You look at Trump, and he's also a bit chunky. At his 2019 health checkup, he would have been classed as obese, and he put on a pound at his 2020 weigh in.

So, if Trump remains on that physical trajectory, there'll be added risk factors for him at 78 that aren't there for Biden at 78.

What's the bets trump pulls a weinstein and turns up at the trial in a walking frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

duploelabs wrote: »
    What's the bets trump pulls a weinstein and turns up at the trial in a walking frame?

More likely he doesn't pull up at all and dismisses it as a show trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

duploelabs wrote: »

Would his fragile ego allow such a thing?
    “If elected, Mr. Trump, I can state unequivocally, will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency,”

The fact Trump wrote that letter is the best part
    “He dictated that whole letter,” Dr. Bornstein said. “I didn’t write that letter. I just made it up as I went along.”

While searching that quote it turns out the doctor of gastroenterology (lol) who wrote that has recently died.
    Harold N. Bornstein, President Trump’s onetime physician died Jan. 8 at 73. His death was announced in a paid notice in the New York Times. It provided no information about the location or cause of death. Attempts to reach family members were unsuccessful.

Was he Epsteined?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭yagan

More likely he doesn't pull up at all and dismisses it as a show trial.
    If he were to show up for the hearing then he'd be recognising the charge. I still wonder if he'll bolt for abroad somewhere beyond extradition.

Would his fragile ego allow such a thing?

The fact Trump wrote that letter is the best part

While searching that quote it turns out the doctor of gastroenterology (lol) who wrote that has recently died.

Was he Epsteined?

Bornstein looked like the Brent Spiner scientist character from Independence Day. he gave the impression he liked to write scripts for himself.

• Advertisement

yagan wrote: »
    If he were to show up for the hearing then he'd be recognising the charge. I still wonder if he'll bolt for abroad somewhere beyond extradition.

Firstly, it's highly unlikely that he'll be convicted at that trial. I can't fully discount the idea that some senators will have a change of heart, but it's a very fanciful idea.

Secondly, I get the feeling he'll be able to wriggle out of other cases brought against him in such a way that means he doesn't have to abscond to Dubai or Russia or anywhere else that he can't be easily extradited from. He's already got it sorted that he'll be able to live at Mar a Lago, despite everyone saying that he'd be turfed out of there after a few days. What else will he be able to swing for himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Does he actually own Mar a Lago? Or is it like so many other things where he doesn't own the property but has some kind of license deal type of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It honestly makes you wonder why he gets away with all this sh1t.

Zero ramifications for this a hole.

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1357025120540389376?s=20

It honestly makes you wonder why he gets away with all this sh1t.

Zero ramifications for this a hole.

https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/1357025120540389376?s=20

No, I can see the logic of it. An order from the Scottish Parliament to investigate Trump can be spun as a targeted political attack, and therefore come off as more anti-Trump than anti-corruption.

Liz survived the vote last night, but at the same
    time...

https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/1357116355988910080?s=19

Real cracks appearing in the GOP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Liz survived the vote last night, but at the same
    time...

https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/1357116355988910080?s=19

Real cracks appearing in the GOP

There are no cracks in the GOP. You seem to think that the likes of Chenney, Romney etc hold some sort of sway in the party. They are the outsiders in that party. If there are any cracks it is those that are more likely to leave that the likes of MTG.

Sure MTG is saying the sort of things they would prefer kept unsaid, but for many her overall viewpoint is aligned to theirs.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    There are no cracks in the GOP. You seem to think that the likes of Chenney, Romney etc hold some sort of sway in the party. They are the outsiders in that party. If there are any cracks it is those that are more likely to leave that the likes of MTG.

Sure MTG is saying the sort of things they would prefer kept unsaid, but for many her overall viewpoint is aligned to theirs.

Without getting technical, being two groups means there are cracks, but I take your point to be that the GOP is finished and now it's the QOP?

Nevermind Romney or Chenney, you have the Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell saying there's no room for QAnon nuts. That's extremely significant.

The are still issues for McCarthy in the House to deal with for sure. But it isn't yet all over for the GOP. The fact that Liz survived and there's a vote in the House indictes that to me anyway, the battle for either side is far from won.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Without getting technical, being two groups means there are cracks, but I take your point to be that the GOP is finished and now it's the QOP?

Nevermind Romney or Chenney, you have the Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell saying there's no room for QAnon nuts. That's extremely significant.

The are still issues for McCarthy in the House to deal with for sure. But it isn't yet all over for the GOP. The fact that Liz survived and there's a vote in the House indictes that to me anyway, the battle for either side is far from won.

The fact that there are two sides is good. Long may it continue.

You'd have to wonder about the long term damage Trump has done to the political system.

In a nutshell, he has "normalised" lying.

All politicians lie to varying degrees, but bald face egregious lies used to have consequences. Now they do not.

Bill Clinton wasn't impeached over a bj. I don't trivialise the event by describing it as such. He was impeached for lying and obstructing justice.

Again - "for lying and obstruction of justice." Those two things Trump did in spades.

It appears that for politicians, there are no consequences for doing that anymore.

I mean... just look at this weak sauce...

https://twitter.com/JohnBerman/status/1357291115335086080?s=09

• Advertisement

You'd have to wonder about the long term damage Trump has done to the political system.

In a nutshell, he has "normalised" lying.

All politicians lie to varying degrees, but bald face egregious lies used to have consequences. Now they do not.

Bill Clinton wasn't impeached over a bj. I don't trivialise the event by describing it as such. He was impeached for lying and obstructing justice.

Again - "for lying and obstruction of justice." Those two things Trump did in spades.

It appears that for politicians, there are no consequences for doing that anymore.

The thing is, though, you have to be actually caught out in the lie. Otherwise, it's too easy to just claim ignorance or mistake. Neither of which have consequences in political life.

The Iraq war, for instance, was built on a bald faced lie. A lie that nearly everyone now knows was a lie and which many were exposing at the time. But the narrative became, "we made a mistake". Which is absolute bollocks of course. But it allows those who orchestrated it to hide behind an "honest" foo-pah and not get done for the deliberate action they really pursued.

Trump can simply claim that he made a whoopsie for everything he's said and further claim that he didn't have enough time to deliver his (empty) promises, and most of the damaging things he's done have been well within the wishes of the Republican party's politics.

Trump was an incompetent narcissist, who conned many people with bullshit and created a following on the back of it which the Republicans used to gain power. But actually proving lies against him would be a tall order, despite the fact most people know (including a lot of his supporters) that he was lying through his teeth.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The thing is, though, you have to be actually caught out in the lie. Otherwise, it's too easy to just claim ignorance or mistake. Neither of which have consequences in political life.

The Iraq war, for instance, was built on a bald faced lie. A lie that nearly everyone now knows was a lie and which many were exposing at the time. But the narrative became, "we made a mistake". Which is absolute bollocks of course. But it allows those who orchestrated it to hide behind an "honest" foo-pah and not get done for the deliberate action they really pursued.

Trump can simply claim that he made a whoopsie for everything he's said and further claim that he didn't have enough time to deliver his (empty) promises, and most of the damaging things he's done have been well within the wishes of the Republican party's politics.

Trump was an incompetent narcissist, who conned many people with bullshit and created a following on the back of it which the Republicans used to gain power. But actually proving lies against him would be a tall order, despite the fact most people know (including a lot of his supporters) that he was lying through his teeth.

20,000 false or misleading claims when I stopped counting. I'm sure one or two could be proven.

It's hard to call someone a liar if they genuinely believe their own b*lls*it. It would be more apt to call them crazy. I've turned to thinking that Trump does believe the election was stolen, because he hates to lose, and so to protect his fragile ego, he's invented this fantasy that all of this stuff happened which no credible evidence corroborates.

If a society cannot agree on the basic facts which underpin their day to day life, then they cannot agree on what is true and what is false. This is problematic, to say the least, but fantastic for a demagogue like Trump.

20,000 false or misleading claims when I stopped counting. I'm sure one or two could be proven.

Perhaps. But then that's what it's all about isn't it. It's what you can prove, not what you "know".

And that's the tricky part.

Perhaps. But then that's what it's all about isn't it. It's what you can prove, not what you "know".

And that's the tricky part.

I don't see the relevance.

briany wrote: »
    It's hard to call someone a liar if they genuinely believe their own b*lls*it. It would be more apt to call them crazy. I've turned to thinking that Trump does believe the election was stolen, because he hates to lose, and so to protect his fragile ego, he's invented this fantasy that all of this stuff happened which no credible evidence corroborates.

If a society cannot agree on the basic facts which underpin their day to day life, then they cannot agree on what is true and what is false. This is problematic, to say the least, but fantastic for a demagogue like Trump.

I don't know, to be honest, whether Trump is just a liar or really believes his guff. Or whether he really is just mad, or is simply taking Nixon's Madman theory to the limit.

I don't see the relevance.

Knowing something is fine. Proving it is the important part.

Knowing something is fine. Proving it is the important part.

prove it where? and to who?

prove it where? and to who?

Well, where is the guilt of impeached Presidents usually proven?

• Advertisement

Well, where is the guilt of impeached Presidents usually proven?

he will be on trial in the senate for insurrection or some such. I'm not sure where his history of being a massive liar feeds into that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement