Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I guess homophobia is subjective. What are you comparing it to when you say homophobia is alive and well? I'm comparing it to Ireland 50 years ago, or the Middle East and Africa today. When you take it in this perspective, Ireland is a very, very good country in which to be gay. The risks are tiny. The vast, vast majority of LGBT people in Ireland are able to live full, happy and safe lives. Will their be individual incidents? Yes. Does an individual incident indicate broader pattern? Absolutely not.

This isn't a good faith argument at all. Critics brought up myriad problems with the law while it was being debated, legislated, and even as it was being signed. Your own self-proud ignorance of the politics of the bill doesn't prove anything about how 'proven' this new law is. Nevermind that laws with proven negative effects pass all the time, I can’t fathom why you think feigning such ignorance is a winning strategy.

Well that’s in part because those people in Ireland aren’t ostracized in education by “don’t say gay” laws.

All that happened is that small children are a little bit more protected from the adult world.

Nobody in Florida is any less free after this law. People can still say the word "gay". I'm sure Miami will still be a popular destination for the Lesbians, Gays, Bisexual and Trans ADULTS.

• Advertisement

Oh I'm sure activists raised all sorts of fake fears etc, but if there was clear incontrovertible evidence that this law would in some way harm children, I don't think it would have passed.

In terms of motivation, I see the trend in the US for nudging kids onto puberty blockers and the likes. Teachers being told they can withhold information from parents if kids declare themselves trans. Shocking stuff.

What's the normal age for a girl to experience puberty?

Also: no report anywhere that any teacher (or in the case you mention, a nurse) 'nudged' a student into a medical decision. The nurse who tweeted that made it clear she didn't support the blockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

You do understand what loans are? Trump is a garish conman living on credit.

School workers are less free to instruct their children on the world around them. They are prima facie evidenced to be less free after this law.

Except for the ones you wish to treat as abnormal since they have same sex parents...

• Advertisement

I never said that. You are twisting my words. I'm not saying to treat any kids as abnormal. But kids with same sex parents ARE abnormal, in the sense that they deviate from the norm. That's just a fact.

I simply asked that we stop pretending the traditional mother/father parents are just another one among a million possible combinations. That we stop pretending that it's equally likely that the mother is a trans leper from Zimbabwe. I mean, how many real world same sex couples WITH children do you actually know in real life? Do the maths and you will see that these families are a drop in the ocean.

Be tolerant, be kind, absolutely. But don't bend over backwards in order to make the education system cater to the sensibilities of such a miniscule portion of the population.

Perhaps they can fill in the vacuum to focus on other issues affecting young children, like heroin addiction or Islamic terrorism.

So, we are treating the kids as abnormal then, since you just said "Kids with same sex parents ARE abnormal"

Now who is twisting your words?

I simply asked that we stop pretending the traditional mother/father parents are just another one among a million possible combinations. 

Unfortunately for you, it is one among many.

I mean, how many real world same sex couples WITH children do you actually know in real life?

Hard to say: how many am I allowed to even know exist with all these new laws popping up? How many are going to self-identify?

Do the maths and you will see that these families are a drop in the ocean.

So they don't get 14th Amendment Rights?

don't bend over backwards in order to make the education system cater to the sensibilities of such a miniscule portion of the population.

The only thing being bent over backwards is teachers by telling them they can't talk about the existence of same sex parents and ****.

Yes and he is able to pay back the loans because he is rich.

I already said, I'm not extraordinarily sociable but know two in Ireland and one in the US. Your logic is pretend they don't exist, don't ask don't tell style policies around different family units. Sesame Street literally covers different family units but you don't think the education system should cause innocence will be lost supposedly? For a guy who pretends to give a **** about children, you clearly don't.

You said you know one same sex couple in the US who have a kid. But if you compare that to how many 'traditional' families with a mother and father, you can clearly see that they are a tiny minority. And you yourself are a tiny minority to even know one of those families.

Do I want them to be treated differently? No.

Do I think kids should have the difference explained to them? Yes - when they are 8 and above.

Below that age I strongly doubt they would even be curious enough to see the difference.

Re: ill effects of the law, I wonder what it says about the law that it was influenced by 'sexual deviants' who have since been excommunicated from their church?

So because of your personal incredulity that a 4 year old might never ask, why does billy have 2 dads? lol.

It doesn't matter how small a box you try and fit same sex couples into, they have 14th amendment rights, human rights, etc. and I have yet failed to see any argument clearly established which compels anyone to agree that learning about the existence of such persons is equivalent to sexual degeneracy, or is otherwise equivalent to 'grooming,' as widely alleged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,709 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I think the issue here is that unless there is a smoking gun (and even then, that's not enough), people who believe that Trump is making a stand against some perceived injustice to them, that come hell or high water, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

It is, without a doubt, cognitive dissonance at it's highest.

There is substantial evidence that

1) There is substantial evidence that he has ruined businesses, was notoriously bad with money, Doonbeg and other properties lost money hand over fist, that he has overvalued his properties and when people asked questions about that, he refused to fulfil an election promise and disclose his accounts. He took it to the SC after all. "but he is still rich"

2) that he has been politically inept. He was corrupt and impeached twice and with very good cause. "but he didn't deserve it"

3) that he was inextricably linked to the January 6 riots. He lost, pushed through the bogus stand that it was stolen from him and worked his followers up into a frenzy, but yet has fought the disclosure of emails and text messages with his staff which would prove his innocence "but it was just a few lunatics... he didn't know anything about it"

4) he has been sued for defamation for alleging those that have accused him of sexual assault and settled multiple cases out of court - "but he has no criminal record"

Despite the fact that he is a prolific liar, those that support him still don't believe the vast majority of what is alleged and refuse to accept that there is any "there there".

But like I said, when there is proof, what will it matter. He "stands up against the woke left" so **** it, who gives a sh1t, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Listen, the law was passed, common sense prevailed. Let's leave it at that. If a great injustice has happened then I'm sure it will quickly be repealed and some activists will claim it as a "victory" and pretend that they were victims of some great oppression. It will appear wonderful on social media. But until then, some kids in Florida will be protected from the adult world of Bisexuals and Transgender activists.

You just spent a few hours defending this bill as 'proven,' nothing wrong with it etc. and now you're saying "I'm sure it will quickly be repealed"

LOL you guys are pathetic. When Trump is forced to sell his properties to pay back the debts, then I'll agree with you. Until then, he is and always be a symbol of the best of 1980's America - materialistic, brash, wonderfully tacky and RICH!

Yes - I like to believe that the world learns from mistakes. If I'm wrong, and this law is as harmful as it's opponents claim, then I believe that it should be possible to persuade people to repeal the law. Is there something confusing you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Just because you say something doesn't make it true, what makes it true is linking it to independent verified reporting, have you anything as such?

When Trump is forced to sell his properties to pay back the debts, then I'll agree with you.

Then it's glad you're in agreement: he sold his Trump DC Hotel to pay off debts. It was operating at a loss.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That day may come a whole lot sooner than you think.

What Trump has done repeatedly is not actually pay back his debts , but simply roll them over into new debt - So he pays off the old loan with a new loan and most of the loans are not ones with monthly repayments, they are single lump sum repayments with Interest at some time in the future.

This type of loan isn't all that uncommon in Property development - You get the loan to build the development , then you pay it all back in one shot when you have it sold after it's finished.

But Trump hasn't been doing that , he's just been re-financing over and over so that he never really pays anything to anyone from his own pocket.

His major problem now is that no one will lend to him any more money because he has stiffed too many people too many times. You also have the fact that his accounting firm have now said his accounts are worthless.

He has about a billion dollars in debt coming due in the next 12 months and he doesn't have the money to pay for it.

His golf courses are all losing money , his other properties are also losing money - Trump Tower that you keep quoting as evidence of his wealth has huge levels of empty units and when units come on the market for sale , no one is buying them. He's even taken to "renting" space in the building to his own PAC at 80k a month even though no one has ever set foot in the building - FYI , that's theft/fraud.

5th Avenue real-estate should be a license to print money , but Trump can't even manage that.

Just the part where you're trying to take the dual stance that it is both an unconstitutional and a good law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm not comparing homophobia to how it was or is in other countries, I'm looking at homophobia as it exists now. It's easy to dismiss it if you cherrypick things to compare it to in order to claim it's just the odd isolated incident here and there. It's easy to turn a blind eye to it altogether when you're not the one who has to experience it, and then claim it's no longer an issue.

It's easy for you to claim homophobia is dead and not coming back.

Homophobia exists here, now, today. It just doesn't exist to you because you're not the one who has to suffer through it. And that's one of the fundamental issues with Trump, the GOP, the "right" etc. If it doesn't affect them, it doesn't matter.

It's the height of selfishness and arrogance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement