Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Indeed, most have moved on. But.... Um..... This is a thread speculating about trump's future. And sometimes it's just fun to trigger his Klan snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Shouldn't you be off buying some infowars supplements from your hero?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The irony of that statement.

Trumps Klan, which you seemily refer to essentially anyone who doesnt think Trump is evil incarnate, arent the ones being triggered.

Its the other way around.

This is a thread speculating about trump's future.

Its not really, its a thread to post negative story after negative story about the man or anything related.

Its largely propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

It's just a thread to have to hate on Trump and the Republicans as shown by your comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

If you look at the polls he is in a good position for 2024 and I think been forced of social media has actually benefitted him,,,out of mind , out of sight etc.

He won't agree but a reason why he lost in 2020 was how relentless and annoying he was on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Really ?

I could just as easily argue that nobody in the Biden thread actually supports Biden.

They only care about sticking it to the Trumpists and laughing at them.

Its all very sad really.

Its obvious that you missed us .

Not a ****ing peep from any of them on here

Isn't it incredible that anyone who comes on here to defend 45 either spirals into abusive posting and gets banned, or sh1tposts and doesn't respond to legitimate counter arguments, or basically agrees with 45 on one thing and couldn't give two sh1ts about egregious acts of his or his cronies.

Not one poster can come on here and argue in good faith. Not one.

They can't even come up with a legitimate reason to have a go at 46, which is the usual attempt at diversion.

Must be like being a Man Utd fan these days. Best keep the head down and hope it'll all blow over soon.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Not at all. Plenty of people in the Biden thread are well able to call out his policy failings.

Whereas the so-called Trump supporters haven’t said a damn thing over the last few days when all of the spotlight has been on him, and yet here they are now blathering on about some bullshit about Twitter.

I wouldn’t say many people are Biden supporters either, but they’d have him over Trump for glaringly obvious reasons.

Any challenge about Biden is met by those you deem to be supporters of him. This is not the case for Trump. His so-called supporters go hiding. And when they are challenged on stuff they post about Biden, they claim that they’re being ganged up on and play the victim. This is because they have nothing of any value or substance to contribute to the conversation whereas the people they’re trying to wind up come prepared to take them on. Where have you been for the last couple of years?

The reason why they came back out of the woodwork was because Elon Musk bought Twitter and then they celebrate, not because Trump might come back, but because it’s another excuse to stick it to ‘the left’.

They either don’t support Trump and just want to wind up the left, or they do support Trump and they cowardly run away until the latest sh*tshow involving him dies down.

If you can’t see that after the last couple of years of non-stop sh*tposting, then that’s honestly not my problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Andi have repeatedly asked his supporters for their opinions on some of my concerns about trump and the GOP. I have repeatedly stated that I would offer no rebuttal and would accept their answer. After all, opinions are just that: opinions. However every single time, without exception, these were ignored.

So I can only surmise that even his supporters cannot defend him.

If you look at my initial posts on this thread you will see that I was actually supportive of the GOP. But, as they leaned further and further into trump's PROVEN lies. And supported terrorists and dictators, I lost respect for them. How can one respect a party that flips 180degrees regarding trump"s involvement of Jan 6. So, yes, I stand by my OPINION and have no problems with my posts.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Defend him then. Defend his policies. Defend the stupid sh*t he says. Don’t go running away when he finds himself in the middle of a sh*tstorm and then complain when you comeback that people are being mean to the anti-democracy Republican Party.

You clearly feel victimised in all of this, so instead of whinging about it why don’t you have a genuine discussion in good faith about the merits of the Republicans instead of bitching that people aren’t saying nice things about them.

You, and many others, haven’t tried this once. It’s just the same nonsense soundbytes from right-wing publications without even a thread of critical thinking.

I am not afraid to say that the Republicans are an evil bunch but I base that off their policies which excessively restrict abortion (and offers rewards for citizens to rat on their neighbours!), their absolute nonsense in Florida which takes aim at LGBTQ+ in Florida, their voter restriction laws which try to benefit them and make it as hard as they can possibly get away with for demographics that wouldn’t vote for them their chance at having their say. You and others blather on about ‘free speech’ yet you will defend the Republicans effectively putting restrictions on the rights of citizens to have their say in elections. ‘Free speech’, my arse

Lets have a chat about all of that then if you really want to, or you can go back to celebrating Elon Musk buying Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Any opinions on the Republican party removing Disney's special agreement with Florida regarding the area around Disney World?

Personally, it doesn't sit well with me that a private corporation was able to have so much power and act as a local government. However, the reasons why this.move was taken are concerning. Essentially, an FU by DeSantis because Disney vowed to fight the law restricting discussion of LGBT+ topics with elementary school kids. Of course, we are being told its all about taxes and bringing Disney back in line (which, on the face of it, is a good thing) but the timing is extremely convenient. DeSantis has been governor since 2019, and Republicans have governed Florida since 1999, why wait til now?

I see it this way: Disney IS a private company (like Twitter or Truth Social) so it is free to take whatever stance it wishes and run the company as it deems fit while the state of Florida is NOT and shouldn't be punishing companies that express concerns about legislation. Let's not forget that it isn't some legislation about taxing massive corporations but one on the education of future generations. It is certainly a concern for proponents of free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That last line is actually really sad, I pity you for being so brainwashed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The thing with Disney is that it is ordinary Florida taxpayers that will carry the weight here.

Disney will actually save a load of money, at least $180m a year by most estimates and local residents will now have to pick up that tab.

Every resident in the two counties where Disney world is sited will see their Property Taxes increase by about 25% to cover the lost revenue.

The deal they had basically allowed Disney to "tax themselves" to pay for stuff in Disney world- New roads, infrastructure, Fire/Police etc. It also allows them to be their own planning department so they could build a new hotel or whatever without having to go through the normal planning process. They still had to comply with building regulations etc.

So now, because Disney said things that DeSantis didn't like, he has taken retribution and publicly said that this is the reason.

This is a clear breach of the 1st amendment (not like Trump and Twitter) where the actual Government are blocking the free speech of its citizens.

And remember, the GOP are the ones that decided that Companies are Citizens too via the Citizens United Supreme court case, so it will be nicely Karmic when this change in law gets overturned.

Cancel culture eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd also say that the reasons Disney were given such special status was due to the increase in revenue the state and locality got from tourists visiting Disney. If there are going to be increased costs for Disney due to that special status being taken away, it'll barely affect Disney who will increase prices marginally to compensate, and even then with the movie licences and now Disney+, so much of their profits are made outside of the theme park. It'll be a bit of minor inconvenience for Disney, but if there ends up being fewer people visiting Disney, that's going to have a knock-on effect on the locality more so than Disney.

This whole thing is entirely performative by de Santis, and his own comments on the matter will be all the proof required to get it overturned in courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That Disney thing is odd, they did seem to have a bit too much power for themselves but also seemed to have run a good ship, I’ve seen suggestions that the roads in Disney are some of the best kept in Florida. I really suspect though that the laws of unintended consequences may come into play, when you poke such a huge employer they may react in ways that haven’t been thought of when coming up with a way to punish them for not falling in line.

Hilarious to see that Trump is saying he wouldn't return to Twitter and will instead be posting on 'Troth Truth Central Truth Social' in about a week. Why wait so long? Why not post on it now? Why not post on it already after your first post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Billion dollar conglomerate dodging tax = good.

Being made pay taxes like the rest of the state = bad

unbelievable the lengths people will go in the name of tribalism these days 🤣🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how were disney dodging tax? all DeSantis has done is ensure disney pay less tax and the local residents pay more. this was nothing to do with tax evasion.

Law. The law is what matters most. Disney had a legal agreement to be able to pay less tax. This was in accordance with the law. De Santis pulling that agreement due to Disney's standing on social issues such as LGBT rights is likely illegal under First Amendment Protection. Likewise, Trump is being investigated for breaking tax laws in order to pay less tax. Again, that's bad because it's against the law.

I disagree with big corporations, mega-churches etc being able to make such deals to pay less tax considering the insane profits they make and would make regardless. However, Disney were not dodging tax. They had a legal agreement to pay less tax which the State agreed to due to the extra revenue Disney brings to the State and therefore the overall increase in tax revenue they likely get from the increased tourism/spending in the State.

Do you see anything wrong with a politician changing terms on legal agreements to punish corporations due to disagreeing with that company's position on social issues?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Disney issue I suspect is going to end up being a major own-goal by DeSantis and the Florida GOP.

As I posted earlier , Disney will now simply pass the cost of all of the "public" utilities that they have been paying for on to the two local counties which will drive up all the voters Property taxes quite substantially (like thousands of dollars each per year).

Disney have also suggested in recent days that they will revoke the "Florida Resident discount" which gives people who live in Florida a ~40% discount on all ticket prices , which is a lot of money given the costs of tickets into the parks. Which again is even more money taken out of Florida voters pockets.

When and if Disney go to court to have this over-turned , they will win almost instantly as it is as clear cut a case of Government interference in 1st amendment rights as you could picture.

If DeSantis tries to find some other excuse to justify removing the deal from Disney (other than the explicit reason he already gave in public) then it opens up the argument that all such deals should be revoked , which again would hurt the GOP.

The next largest deal of this type is for The Villages , the retirement community famous for it's rabid Trump/GOP support.

How happy would they be with their costs increasing hugely I wonder??

All in all it's a terribly thought out vindictive knee jerk reaction that is going to come back to bite DeSantis hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

As usual with their poorly thought out reactionary legislation they never think beyond their initial desired use and how it could easily be turned around right back at them in much more painful ways. Look at the dont say Gay bill there's already numerous valid arguments being brought to court for banning the bible for exactly the same reasons simply due to how broad and unspecific the original law is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

There is no such law that allows a company self govern themselves. Its was a special agreement and now that agreement is revoked because Disney meddled in Florida State politics. This move would never deter people from going to the park But Disneys "not so gay agenda for minors" certainly has.

If you get your news from CNN Minus , which you do , you will be constantly uninformed about these issues. You guys like to ask a lot of questions so answer this one - Do you think kids as young as 5 can be part of the lgbtqt community? The proper answer is kids that young are neither gay nor straight. Therefore there needs to be legislation that prevents creeps from foisting their sexually obsessed lifestyles in kindergarten classrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You claimed earlier that disney were dodging tax and and now you say it was a special agreement. was the earlier post a lie?

But that's not remotely what is going to happen AT ALL.

Disney have not been avoiding taxes and the will not be paying a cent more in taxes as as result of this change - They'll pay a lot less in fact.

Disney has been taxing itself at WAY above the going rates to fund the development/maintenance of the land - Roads , Drainage etc. along with funding the Police/Fire Department and the like, again at way above the going rate.

Now , Disney will just stop paying that extra "tax" and ALL of that cost will now be carried by the residents of the two Florida counties that contain the Disney World Properties.

All this change is going to do is make it more difficult for Disney to develop/expand Disney World which will have a knock on impact on employment both directly in Disney and indirectly in the surrounding areas as if Disney can't build a new ride or Hotel because they can no longer handle their own planning or indeed cover the costs of building a new road or whatever that is going to mean less jobs , less tourists and less money in the Florida economy in general.

So - Just because DeSantis doesn't like people disagreeing him, in a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face he has targeted his States largest employer and made it more difficult for them to do business and at the same time has dramatically increased the property taxes for every resident in two of the most populous counties in his State.

Like you say "unbelievable the lengths people will go in the name of tribalism these days"

Awesome job Ron.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Did anyone actually say this? Most of the posts I saw were along the lines this may not work out well for de santis, not sure anyone actually stood up for Disney really.

It was a special agreement between Disney and the State, which was legally allowed. Therefore, it was in accordance with the law. A company cannot self govern themselves, but the agreement made would have been subject to various conditions.

The agreement was revoked because DeSantis wants to punish Disney for saying they'll no longer financially contribute to politicians who push anti-LGBT legislation.

Also, for the last time, I don't get my news from CNN. I'm Irish. In Ireland. I don't have CNN. I don't want CNN. I barely even take any notice of RTE. You need to try to adjust and modify the usual pro-Trump arguments to suit an Irish audience.

• Advertisement

It should also be pointed out that there are about 250 of these types of Agreement all across Florida so it's not just Disney that benefit from it.

Multiple developments have similar deals , including as I posted earlier "The Villages" retirement community.

It's a badly thought out, rushed spiteful change that looks like it's going to have lots of potentially unintended negative consequences for the people that implemented it and their supporters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement