Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wait, isn't not paying taxes Smart? That what Trump supporters cheer. So surely this is something you should be steadfastly against. Yet another example the the unbelievable lengths people will go to in the name of tribalism these days!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think the only time I've ever watched CNN is when I'm stuck in a Hotel in Eastern Europe or Asia and it and BBC World are the only English speaking channels available on Freeview.

And even then it's usually some travel magazine program that's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I watched it during the actual 2020 election results, but it was just something on in the background to get results as they came in. Then I had it on for maybe half an hour during the Jan 6th riot, but it was a pain trying to stream it (because it's not a channel I have access to) so I switched to Sky News (on Freeview as I don't have Sky). But all of that was just to get events as they happened live. I'm not interested in their opinion pieces or roundtable stuff.

I would never actually sit watching the channel. I wouldn't do that for any news channel, but especially not an American news channel where the vast majority of discussion would be about politicians, laws, states that I have absolutely no interest in or little knowledge of. All news channels are biased in some way, as they're all trying to appeal to a particular audience. Besides, there are more than enough movies, TV and video games to keep me actually entertained. Sitting and watching any news channel for more than 10 minutes? F*ck that.

If something important happens on CNN that's worth watching, it'll be reposted on Twitter by others. Same with every news/opinion channel. But the idea that I or really anyone here in Ireland gets their news from CNN? Absolutely ludicrous.

Tad telling when poster starts to refer to being LGBT as a "lifestyle". As already pointed out, since children can have same sex parents. I see absolutely nothing wrong with telling kids that such relationships are as normally as any other. Why does this upset you so? 😘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

There is no anti-LGBT legislation in Florida. That's a lie , or what somebody like you would call "misinformation" It seems you support and even enact in misinfo when it suits your agenda , funny that.

I asked you a very simple question and you avoided it like that plague because that's a road you don't want to go down. I'll expose you and you know it.

Furthermore , whether you do or don't watch CNN is irrelevant. You've posted enough twitter links on here that informed me exactly what sort of news you consume , and it all aligns up the the CNN fake news narrative . For example, Scott Randolph who wrote that piece about Florida's taxes is a contributor to CNN..Oops. lol!! 🐸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,647 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What would call legislation that prohibits people even talking about it? Is there is a similar law stopping people talking about hetrosexual relationships? If not, why not? If it isn't anti-lgbt then what is it?

Was this special agreement with Disney high on the political agenda before Disney started to show empathy towards the LGBT community? Maybe it was, maybe this has been a burning issue in Florida for years. But the timing does seem very coincidental that soon after Disney had the neck to have an opinion that differs from De Santis, suddenly De Santis is all over them and looking to 'punish' them.

It's anti-LGBT legislation because it significantly impacts LGBT people, particularly those working as teachers in schools, or children of LGBT children in schools, and even LGBT children. You yourself referred to it as legislation "that prevents creeps from foisting their sexually obsessed lifestyles". If you don't see how your own language in referring to it is anti-LGBT, you're blind.

The reason I didn't address it is because I already addressed it a lot with another poster here who was subsequently thread-banned due to his extreme anti-LGBT rhetoric. I have no problem discussing it, but it's a Trump (and usually more general GOP) thread and I'm trying to not bring the thread down that rabbit hole again. I stand by my previous posts though so if you want to know my opinion on it, feel free to find and read those posts.

Regarding "whether you do or don't watch CNN is irrelevant". I would say it's entirely relevant in response to:

If you get your news from CNN Minus , which you do , you will be constantly uninformed about these issues.

You were wrong.

Lastly:

You've posted enough twitter links on here that informed me exactly what sort of news you consume , and it all aligns up the the CNN fake news narrative . For example, Scott Randolph who wrote that piece about Florida's taxes is a contributor to CNN..Oops. lol!!

What Scott Randolph tweet regarding Florida's taxes did I post? You say I've posted enough Twitter links to inform you what sort of news I consume (yet you were spectacularly wrong when claiming I get my news from CNN), and use an example of a Scott Randolph tweet about Florida's taxes, and that he's a contributor to CNN. Which Scott Randolph tweet did I post? I literally just had to Google him because I've never heard of him, and all I see was he was previously a member of the Florida House of Representatives, and is currently the Florida Orange County Tax Collector. I'd say that would give him decent knowledge of the laws regarding Disney's agreements.

Is this another Trump Gmail account situation? Do you think that because he contributed to one or two stories on CNN, that means he actually is CNN?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What a bizarre obsession.

Say a five-year old kid has same-sex parents. Is the kid allowed to mention that fact in the classroom? Is the teacher able to acknowledge it? I think it's very important to do so in order to avoid the mistakes of the past and move towards a more open and fairer society where people feel free to express themselves and be comfortable with who they are.

I highly doubt pre-pubescent kids are going to be taught specific sexual techniques or encouraged to be one thing or the other. It really is as simple as saying: "In your life, you will meet couples who are same sex and opposite sex and there is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with thinking that someone of the same sex is pretty, there are plenty of people out there who feel the same way."

These are the facts of life. I have never met a homosexual who chose to be thst way but I've met a few who tried to force themselves to be heterosexual in order to be accepted, causing them to have a much more stressful and damaging childhood and adolescence as a result. They all knew from a young age what they were but, for one reason or another, couldn't accept it.

It's incredibly dumb (at best) and downright spiteful (at worst) to deny kids who might feel that way the opportunity to know that there is nothing wrong and that there are many others like them out there. It will save a lot of suffering and increase acceptance for future generations.

Considering Disney is a company with a lot of focus on children, it is nice to see that they are thinking about their customers' well-being as opposed to the government denying them access to information that will help them at a time in their lives when they are developing their personalities and lifelong traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I do find the projection funny where they accuse everyone else of it but its really the homophobes seemingly who are the ones obsessed with sex and in the case of florida specifically gay sex as they cant seem to stop talking about it so much so they even had to make a law to try to stop themselves talking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

We did chat about it before, and you know the outcome dont you, things turned nasty and someone got a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It's all about culture wars with his followers.

Couldn't talk policy to save their lives.

Fox et al just generate these fictional baddies, it's repeated online and next thing you know, you've got people outside Disney protesting.

It's extraordinary.

Up until they were told what to be angry about, they couldn't give two sh1ts what Disney did.

Must be great for the right to be able to play this trick on their followers. They probably have a list of inane topics they can use going forward to get their online warriors fired up over.

"Next up on Fox, did you know that Ben & Jerry are trying to turn your kids gay? Why can't they be called Ben & Jeri, like a normal couple?"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its amazing the way that you constantly stereotype 65m people in a country.

You keep saying "They" "The Right" "His supporters" as if they are a hive mind of some sort.

Its really really condescending and ignorant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So a Trump supporting starts the whole discussion by celebrating Trump's return to Twitter thanks to the Musk takeover and your assessment is that it's the anti Trump side that are the problem. Bizarre stuff there.

Can you please explain the LibsofTik-Tok sentence? It's one of the strangest sentences I've seen this year.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

We didn't chat about it before. I made all the necessary points and you just completely ignored it.

Answer the points I made about how the GOP are an evil party instead of crying about how mean people are to them and we can have a genuine discussion about it.

If you don't want to, that's fine. Just don't be a baby when posters don't say nice things about them because of what a horrible bunch of people they are. Defend them. Stick up for them. Make your point.

The fact you want to point out that I 'got a holiday' shows you aren't interested in discussing anything in good faith. You just want to dump nonsense and waste people's time.

First few paragraphs from an article written in the past week about the account:

On March 8, a Twitter account called Libs of TikTok posted a video of a woman teaching sex education to children in Kentucky, calling the woman in the video a “predator.” The next evening, the same clip was featured on Laura Ingraham’s Fox News program, prompting the host to ask, “When did our public schools, any schools, become what are essentially grooming centers for gender identity radicals?”

Libs of TikTok reposts a steady stream of TikTok videos and social media posts, primarily from LGBTQ+ people, often including incendiary framing designed to generate outrage. Videos shared from the account quickly find their way to the most influential names in right-wing media. The account has emerged as a powerful force on the Internet, shaping right-wing media, impacting anti-LGBTQ+ legislation and influencing millions by posting viral videos aimed at inciting outrage among the right.

The anonymous account’s impact is deep and far-reaching. Its content is amplified by high-profile media figures, politicians and right-wing influencers. Its tweets reach millions, with influence spreading far beyond its more than 648,000 Twitter followers. Libs of TikTok has become an agenda-setter in right-wing online discourse, and the content it surfaces shows a direct correlation with the recent push in legislation and rhetoric directly targeting the LGBTQ+ community.

The account has also doxxed people featured in some of their videos, leading to targetted harassment of them. They've gotten more recent fame though because their own information was revealed and they're now in hiding, because targetted harassment of "the libs" is fine, but completely unacceptable when it's done to them.

For clarity as I know someone will try twist my words; Targetted harassment of anyone is not okay, and I don't condone it against the person behind the Libs of Tiktok account.

I'm sure you will also call out the posters who do the same about 'the Left', 'libs' and 'TDS sufferers', won't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

You're lying. Show me the anti-lgbt legislation. Do you even know what legislation means? Of course you do but you're deliberately misinterpreting its meaning to further agenda. Just like CNN😉

Look at it like this , say Christian fundamentalists were teaching little children about Jesus , sin and all that stuff. For one the left would be furious and demand it come to an end. That's fair enough , no? A bill is passed that instructs the teachers to only teach what's on the curriculum. The right misrepresent the bill calling it "don't say Jesus" and claiming their religious beliefs are being negatively impacted. But they can still continue on as they were living before the bill. They can still bring their own kids to church and do whenever religious stuff they want.

Similarly , a same sex couple if they have a kid of their own , can bring them to pride festivals , marches ..Whatever they want , no matter how old the child is. The child could be a toddler and it wouldn't matter. Because there is no anti-lgbt legislation.

Many parents may not want to bring their young kids to pride festivals and that's perfectly fine. Everybody wins. However everybody doesn't win if that choice is removed from parents when they drop their kids off at school. This is when certain teachers have free reign to explore their own sexuality with other peoples children. They don't have any right to do that , in fact in comes from a place of pig ignorance to think they do. The bill offers parents transparency about the curriculum. That's all.

The bill is simply an inconvenience for the teaches who enjoy exploring their own personal lifestyle's with other peoples children. It is not a anti-gay legislation in any shape or form. Just an inconvenience for some

And don't bull crap me by saying they just want to discuss innocent themes of a sexual nature. Maybe kids don't want to be part of that discussion. None of our teacher's back in the day were telling us their sexual preference when we were kids. And if you say they were, you'd be lying.

So no one will be forced out of their jobs , or impacted in any way unless they have an irresistible compulsion to impose their sexually obsessed world-view , that is absolutely in no way of any educational value to a child who is barely learning how to read, write and do arithmetic.

Randolph has all the right talking points for CNN , hence why he was invited on the platform. You were wrong about Mucks intention to buy twitter. Lets wait and see if you are wrong about Florida's taxes too 😅😘

Care to explain how you would address the fact children have two same sex parents? Also are you so dense that you genuinely believe that being gay is a lifestyle?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To expand on your analogy using the religion angle.

If the legislation was saying "You can't talk about any religion or even acknowledge the existence of any religion , any discussion or reference to Religion even tangentially should not happen is school and people can go to a church or their home to find out about that stuff" that would be one thing.

BUT - What the legislation says is that "You can't talk about Christianity or even acknowledge the existence of Christianity , any discussion or reference to Christianity even tangentially should not happen is school and people can go to a Christian church or their home to find out about that stuff"

Which means it's perfectly ok to acknowledge the existence of Jews and Muslims or Buddists etc. just NOT Christianity.

Let's say you have a maths book and you are talking about how to work out the change you would get for a purchase and the book has a picture of someone shopping as a background image - It's ok to show picture of that person wearing a burkha, but you're not allowed to show a photo of someone wearing a Crucifix in the same context.

If you are having a general conversation in the class-room about what kids did at the week-end and one of them says "I went to a wedding in my local Catholic Church" you must shut that down right away, you cannot allow that to be discussed , but if another kids says "I went to my Brothers Bah-mitzvah" then that's fine.

I mean surely no Christian could see a problem with their religion being clearly marginalised and diminished and made to seem abnormal and wrong by its absolute exclusion from normal conversation and activity now could they??

"This is when certain teachers have free reign to explore their sexuality with other people's children".

What kind of messed up world are you living in? That is a highly loaded sentence. You cannot be naive enough to think that using that phrase in this context is entirely innocent. You are making an implication with your phrasing, though I'm sure you will deny it.

If you are concerned about the content, how about the government set the curriculum and say, for example, "pre-pubescent kids will have acknowledgement that same sex couples exist and there is nothing legally or morally wrong with it. No further information on the mechanics shall be provided until an appropriate age". That way parents will know what their kids are being told about and won't have to worry. A blanket ban and denial of the topic is just ignorant and dangerous.

Frankly, your comparison with religion is incorrect. People's sexuality is something affects every single person, even those who are asexual. Religion is not the same. Sexuality has a scientific, natural basis. Religion is made-up, pseudo-science.

Much as I suspected; it harks back to the old "homosexuals are secretly child molesters" trope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

thats CNN international , different to CNN america , its mind numbingly boring and generic , anchors might as well be robots

• Registered Users Posts: 8,003 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean what do you want? If 65 million people fall for a Nigerian Prince scam then at some point you have to call a spade a spade even if it isn't politically correct to do so.

He used a sharpie to pretend that his map was real and that he wasn't an idiot. He sent out a presidential announcement of a hole in one he got playing golf. I can understand hating the establishment and democrats but the man is obviously an idiot who has no idea of what is happening around him. His white house was an absolute clusterbomb of constant nonsense and leaks. "Healthcare will be so easy" to the point that he got Republicans voting to keep Obamacare. Voting for a man with a gold toilet to stop the elites is like getting annoyed at someone punching you so you hire Mike Tyson to punch you instead. There is just no logic I can follow there and no one has begun to explain it. His only major piece of legislation was Paul Ryan's baby who did all the work and immediately left.

Sure you can argue others on the right are different but what promiment right wing leaders are there that aren't on the Trump scale of things? DeSantis wants to punish freedom of speech, Tucker who came out saying he would support Putin in a war against the Ukraine and had that weird tanning your balls for masculinity. MTG who can't remember essentially anything as it turns out. Can you name any who have any sort of sensibility? The likes of Romney are getting frozen out for not being extreme enough.

Speaking of "Media with an agenda" , we now have text published showing that Sean Hannity was taking direct instruction from the Trump White House about what to say on his TV and Radio shows in support of Trump.

Hannity was among the most frequent correspondents in the 2,319 text messages Meadows turned over to the Jan. 6 committeeCNN reports. On Election Day, for example, Hannity texted Meadows in the afternoon, asking if North Carolina was "gonna be okay." Meadows wrote back, urging Hannity to tell his radio show listeners: "Stress every vote matters. Get out and vote."

"Yes sir. On it," Hannity responded. "Any place in particular we need a push?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Not really Gas. A lot of Trumpists support Trump because they feel he supports their extreme views. Homophobic, misogynistic, racist etc comments are to be expected from his supporters because they believe Trump is behind their views. They would watch the world burn in order to explore those views.

As others have said, nobody wants to teach children about anything of a sexual nature, and there are already rules about determining what ages that should start to be introduced in schools.

The issue is this bill prevents any teaching and basically any acknowledgement that LGBT people exist in schools. It will give parents the ability to bring cases against teachers who acknowledge LGBT people exist. If a child has same-sex parents, or talks about maybe an uncle who is married to a man and asks questions about it, the teachers cannot treat that relationship as being equal or even acceptable. This bill doesn't just affect LGBT teachers who may not be able to do anything to acknowledge their sexuality (even though heterosexual teachers would still be able to mention their opposite-sex partner), but any teacher could fall foul of this law for acknowledging LGBT relationships should a child then go home and mention it to their parents.

If a child in a teacher's class had same-sex parents and some of the other children asked the teacher about it or were bullying the child because of it, the teacher would have no remit to acknowledge that having same-sex parents is fine. That isolates the child and can make them feel like an outlier.

It tries to enshrine that teachers cannot teach same-sex relationships as being equal to that of male-female relationships. Your comparison to teaching about Christianity is completely irrelevant because that would be discriminating on the basis of religion. You cannot say all but one of these religions are okay, but this one isn't. Likewise, you cannot say all therelationships of all the heterosexual parents are fine, but relationships between LGBT couples are not. Parents have the right at home to teach their children whatever discriminatory nonsense they want, but schools should not. They shouldn't teach it's better to be heterosexual, or it's worse to be homosexual, transexual etc.

It's not about teaching anything of a sexual nature, because it's the exact same as teaching about how men and women can be married. That's equally based in acknowledging sexual relationships, and it shouldn't go any further than that in terms of anything not age-appropriate (and again, if children can be taught that men and women can love each other and get married, they can be taught two men or two women can love each other and get married).

As for how they claim this bill is about anti-grooming; how? LGBT people, more than anyone else, knows that being LGBT is not a choice. You cannot make someone be LGBT in the same way you cannot make an LGBT person be straight, and any discussion on same-sex relationships shouldn't go any further than it already does about opposite-sex relationships. Even then, the majority of grooming and child sex abuse is men grooming/abusing young girls. That has absolutely nothing to go with anything related to LGBT persons. Nor would acknowledging LGBT relationships to the same degree as heterosexual relationships have any bearing on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You have to remember, Walt didn’t just put a theme park on the corner of the highway, he is responsible for landscaping an entire marsh, essentially, into an entire city, power water sewage roads police fire and all. It kinda makes sense they would secure the zoning they got, nothing would exist there if not for their expenditure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement