Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

From the article:

Both sides would come to see it as a sort of implicit bargain–inspired by the summer’s massive, sometimes destructive racial-justice protests–in which the forces of labor came together with the forces of capital to keep the peace and oppose Trump’s assault on democracy. The handshake between business and labor was just one component of a vast, cross-partisan campaign to protect the election–an extraordinary shadow effort dedicated not to winning the vote but to ensuring it would be free and fair, credible and uncorrupted.

And:

For Trump and his allies were running their own campaign to spoil the election. The President spent months insisting that mail ballots were a Democratic plot and the election would be “rigged.” His henchmen at the state level sought to block their use, while his lawyers brought dozens of spurious suits to make it more difficult to vote–an intensification of the GOP’s legacy of suppressive tactics. Before the election, Trump plotted to block a legitimate vote count. And he spent the months following Nov. 3 trying to steal the election he’d lost–with lawsuits and conspiracy theories, pressure on state and local officials, and finally summoning his army of supporters to the Jan. 6 rally that ended in deadly violence at the Capitol.

And:

Bad actors spreading false information is nothing new. For decades, campaigns have grappled with everything from anonymous calls claiming the election has been rescheduled to fliers spreading nasty smears about candidates’ families. But Trump’s lies and conspiracy theories, the viral force of social media and the involvement of foreign meddlers made disinformation a broader, deeper threat to the 2020 vote.

And bipartisanship:

The 22 Democrats and 22 Republicans on the National Council on Election Integrity met on Zoom at least once a week.

Fair play to TIME. They laid out the bipartisan reasons and ways in which a dangerous authoritarian was prevented from destroying democracy in the US. Fair play to you for posting the article.

Exactly.
    In Chris's mind, the bit in bold is an illegal activity. Unsurprising. Trump himself might use this article as evidence next week. They just don't see the way their arguments only dig themselves deeper in to a hole.

Time magazine has an article basically admitting that Big tech, activist groups, media groups and democrats' all met up thinking Trump had a really strong chance of winning and so "conspired" to make sure Trump would not win, this included purposely changing voting laws, using left wing protestors strategically and banning certain voices online. It is shocking how Time are laying it all out and naming all those involved like it is a good thing. They frame it as protecting democracy but by reading it the impression I get is anything but. Free and fair election my ass.

https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/

Dude seriously, it's February 5th. 60+ failed lawsuits demonstrated that election was free and fair. If you have such evidence, I'd recommend contacting the American media immediately and showing them that evidence. You would instantly become rich and famous from your interviews.

If you don't, stick to the conspiracy forum.

Dude seriously, it's February 5th. 60+ failed lawsuits demonstrated that election was free and fair. If you have such evidence, I'd recommend contacting the American media immediately and showing them that evidence. You would instantly become rich and famous from your interviews.

If you don't, stick to the conspiracy forum.

Sometimes people just read the headline and not the article and think aha evidence, happens a lot with trump supporters for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Sometimes people just read the headline and not the article and think aha evidence, happens a lot with trump supporters for some reason.

They don't have the attention span to read further. That's why he chose twitter as his medium to speak to them, it has limited character space.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Time magazine has an article basically admitting that Big tech, activist groups, media groups and democrats' all met up thinking Trump had a really strong chance of winning and so "conspired" to make sure Trump would not win, this included purposely changing voting laws, using left wing protestors strategically and banning certain voices online. It is shocking how Time are laying it all out and naming all those involved like it is a good thing. They frame it as protecting democracy but by reading it the impression I get is anything but. Free and fair election my ass.

https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/

So, basically the same tactics Republicans have been using since Nixon? About time they learnt how to play dirty.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Tim Pool is spreading out that story as an example of a grand conspiracy, so it's evident where some posters get their info from

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Well, Gaetz is all in too at this stage

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1357728615098699778?s=19

It truly is a race to the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

duploelabs wrote: »
    So you're talking bollix then in your initial post

No I was deadly serious, I'm deeply hurt by that statement and need to go to my safe space now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

No I was deadly serious, I'm deeply hurt by that statement and need to go to my safe space now.

Aw bless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

everlast75 wrote: »
    Well, Gaetz is all in too at this stage

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1357728615098699778?s=19

It truly is a race to the bottom

Ugh. He also looks like a cartoon villain after the obvious botox.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

Fox new is down in a big way in ratings since they turned on Trump, well below CNN and MSNBC, maybe they are going to go full on liberal and chase that market, seen as they are dead to conservatives, they can frame it as a redemption arc, the left will lap it up as them winning over a rival to their cause.

Fox new is down in a big way in ratings since they turned on Trump, well below CNN and MSNBC, maybe they are going to go full on liberal and chase that market, seen as they are dead to conservatives, they can frame it as a redemption arc, the left will lap it up as them winning over a rival to their cause.

Or maybe they are worried about being sued into oblivion for spouting 100% bollox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Who knows what the future holds, but there is no sign that they are going to do anything like this to this point.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Clearly absolutely bricking it over the Smartmatic and Dominion Lawsuits.

They've just kinda promoted Maria Bartiromo who was the other main pusher of those stories so it will be interesting to see what they do there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ugh. He also looks like a cartoon villain after the obvious botox.

He is the spitting image of Robbie Rotten from Lazytown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

A 'newscaster', who is sidelined because he knowingly promoted dangerous lies during an election, accuses his employer of being involved in a race to the bottom. The ironing is delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭threeball

One thing this last 4yrs has shown is how dangerous social media like platforms like Facebook and especially twitter are. They give a platform to any simpleton to spread any message they so wish and elevate people who were little more than of minor comedic interest to positions of extreme power. There really should be a concerted effort in the US and Europe to severely curb these platforms over the next 4yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭yagan

threeball wrote: »
    One thing this last 4yrs has shown is how dangerous social media like platforms like Facebook and especially twitter are. They give a platform to any simpleton to spread any message they so wish and elevate people who were little more than of minor comedic interest to positions of extreme power. There really should be a concerted effort in the US and Europe to severely curb these platforms over the next 4yrs.
    I think Donald Trump was the 2 dimensional TV president for a generation raised by TV and were programmed to be receivers.

If you've been around the internet before the whole social media thing proliferated through the masses via their first smart phone you'd know the pre meme meme "on the internet no one knows you're a dog".

But going back to before social media there were some very interesting psychological studies done on the game Sims and how people started living out alternative lives via their sims who they modeled on themselves and people in their real life.

I believe this process of self scripted escapism carried over into FB where Likes became nails fastening down fantasies as facts.

Having and sharing fantasies is not a crime, but acting on them like with the insurrection was. "Stop the steel" was as a rebellion against reality, Trump being the lynchpin holding an alternative fantasy life together. Now they all know they are the Sims of their own creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

None of this is surprising. For a lot of people a nightmare is over. Total victory has been achieved, the enemy is powerless and retired and stable predictable government has returned. Some people will be switching off after years watching every evening in numb horror. Isn't it great? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's funny how it's so wrong for the Right not to agree with the Left, but still allow the Left to have their stage. Yet the same ain't true in reverse. All we see now is a Leftist government and media silencing and hounding into submission anyone that dares to disagree with them.
    Trump had vast about of leftist media in White House press corps, and some Right News media. The WHite House Briefing room how is one big ..
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

It's funny how it's so wrong for the Right not to agree with the Left, but still allow the Left to have their stage. Yet the same ain't true in reverse. All we see now is a Leftist government and media silencing and hounding into submission anyone that dares to disagree with them.
    Trump had vast about of leftist media in White House press corps, and some Right News media. The WHite House Briefing room how is one big ..
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

Is this the same Trump who tried to ban CNN’s Jim Acosta from the Whitehouse?

Or what about when they removed Dana Milbank’s press pass? Or when 7 other WaPo journalists had their access restricted.

Or maybe you mean the months when no press briefings were held at all.

Or maybe you’re talking nonsense again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

'judge' janine pirro is meant to be on shaky ground too

• Registered Users Posts: 83,074 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

So the scandal is that the press secretary is now waging a war against facts or the press corp? 45 apparently left you with the impression that abject conflict is the norm. It’s not.

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

It's funny how almost every Trumpist post starts with the same few words.

Biden has restored regular press briefings, Trump hid in his bunker. In what is Biden me silencing the media and Trump isn't?

Bien had said that he does not plan on revoking hard passes from journalists who got them under Trump, Trump regularly removed journalists just because he disagreed with them.

Would you like to point to examples of some of this media silencing you are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭yagan

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya
    I think the Trump years were more about Fantasy versus Reality than any democratic duality.

The Qanon republicans are deflating without their inflator president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Kumbaya my Lord, kumbaya
    Oh Lord, kumbaya

"is as I said in Tucker, "conservative voices are being silenced" - twice!!"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement