Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Every idiotic thing he says is a joke according to the members of his cult. The progression is usually

He never said it

He did say it but you didn't understand what he said so let me explain it to you

He was only joking.

He truly is the great communicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Yeah yeah. More "mop and bucket" brigade stuff. Out to clean up his mess.

This is the asshole who said his crowd sizes for his inauguration were the biggest in history. He is, by a hundred different metrics, a man baby with a huge insecurity complex. He is desperate for recognition and awards. Remember the whole Nobel prize thing?

Think for a goddamn minute before your natural instinct of defending him kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Let's face it, whether he was joking or not, if he could give himself the Medal of Honor, he would have. This is the guy who used charity funds to buy paintings of himself, and had a fake Time Man Of The Year magazine of himself in one of his hotels.

Hell, he tried to award himself the position of President of the United States after losing the election...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭briany

(responding to a reporter's question about QAnon) "I don't really know anything about the movement, other than they like me very much.... which I appreciate."

Yes, he strikes me as a man principally concerned with his own aggrandisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

at his rally at the weekend he introduce somebody he is endorsing and the crowd booed. When the booing stopped he said "you still like me, right?". pathetic man baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

NY Post (and the WaPO) apparently have dropped Trump. The WaPO is unsurprising, but the Post is as GQP as it comes:

Trump has proven himself unworthy to be this country’s chief executive again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not WaPo - They've never been fans. The other one was the Wall Street Journal.

The WSJ was the "high-brow" defender of Trump and his polices , claiming that on balance he was good for the Economy blah blah blah.

The Post is a gutter rag who excused everything that he did and flung red meat to his base all the time.

But both The Wall Street Journal and NY Post have now completely disavowed him in the last few days.

Both owned by Murdoch and both editorials went live within about an hour of each other.

That is not a coincidence.

Yeah, I think it's prepping to throw their weight behind DeSantis or whoever survives the GQP nomination gamut. It's been kinda quiet because TFG is being coy. Maybe losing the NY Post will push him to not announced. Then the likes of Kristy Noem/Nimrata Nikki Haley/Mike Pompeo can come out of hiding in addition to De Santis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Maybe I've been watching too much succession but perhaps trump didn't kiss the ring of murdoch

More likely that Murdoch doesn't see Trump winning if he runs again in 2024, either losing the primary or the election itself. Whereas if Murdoch and his media put all their weight early behind someone like De Santis, they could improve his chances enough to give him a good shot at winning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I also think that Major alarm bells are going off across the GOP about the mid-terms.

Trump is determined to make it about him and his 2020 bullsh!t.

The GOP want it to be what mid-terms usually are - A Referendum on the Incumbent which on balance they would do very well from , maybe even get control of both houses.

But if Trump declares next month as it's rumoured then that gives the Democrats an enormous gift as they can make it all about Trump and how a vote for the GOP is a vote for him etc.

Trump declaring before the mid terms gives the Democrats a decent chance of holding (and maybe even strengthening the majority) in the Senate and puts holding the house firmly back in play.

I'd say if De Santis won the primary and Trump announced he was going to run as an independent, several truckloads of money would show up at Mar A Lago along with a letter saying "I.O.U Infinity Pardons for all Trumps for all previous and future crimes if you stop. Signed: The entire GOP"

Not a chance in hell he'd run as an Independent. He'd have to spend his own money , plus he knows that he simply could not win as a "3rd" candidate.

He needs the "GOP 1st" voters , there just aren't anything like enough "Trump 1st" voters.

Plus once he was on the outside, the GOP would stop providing air-cover and everyone would happily testify/talk to whoever would listen about his crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah but you then have to blanace all of that against his ego, which could outweigh all that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

One of the best I heard about QAnon was............."QAnon.......Scientology for Hillbillies"

His utterly undiluted terror of losing will win in any battle against his ego.

His ego would absolutely not survive losing a second time.

In the scenario where he is squeezed out by the GOP far better for his ego to slink back to Mar a Lago and blame it all on a deep state conspiracy.

That way he can live in his created safe space where if he'd been "allowed" to run he would have won in a landslide and crushed all before him thereby allowing him to keep his fragile ego intact.

I think any poster who defends that despicable lying agitator would not be happy.

How do you feel about it, seeing as you care enough to comment?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I could absolutely see him doing it and threatening the GOP that they won't win if he runs, so they have to run him.

Then he'd try beat the GOP, showing that he was the most winningest candidate all along and that the GOP not choosing him was a witch hunt.

• Advertisement

I'd agree that he will absolutely use it as a threat during the primary phase , but if he doesn't get past the Primary I just can't see him having the discipline and structure to run a successful independent campaign and like I said the terror of failure will stop him and him being able to "hurl from the ditch" and claim that he "would have won" and "was the greatest" etc. would be fair better for his ego stroking.

He doesn't actually want the job he just wants to feel awesome.

I think if DeSantis won the primary, at that stage Trump wouldn't be able to bully his way in. DeSantis would be the nominee.

I'm sure the GOP realise that pretty much all Trump fans would also vote for DeSantis simply because they're so anti-Dems/Left. But the election would likely come down to moderate/independent voters, and the GOP risk losing a lot of Independents who might not vote if Trump is the candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thanks you've just answered my question for me "son" as for conviction or whatever you posted I've no opinion as ive no interest

Frankly, I think he is so easily manipulated, that one comment or tweet from someone like Nancy Pelosi would make him declare. He wouldn't be able to help himself. She triggers him like few others

Oh no doubt the Democrats would love him to declare now, before the mid-terms.

It allows them to draw attention away from their failings and shift it back to Trump, which may motivate their voters to come out on election day to "keep him out" as it were.

Trump announcing is a gift tot he Democrats for the mid-terms and the GOP will try everything to stop him.

The GOP have no real control over Trump so he'll do what he wants however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't know if there are any hillbillies into QAnon - there probably are - but if it were only them into it, it'd be lot less of a concern and something contained on the fringes. The worrying thing about QAnon has been the range of people it has sucked in. Otherwise functional adults have begun to believe a really bizarre fantasy. There will be the wags out there saying that this applies to organised religion as well, but at least organised religion has a long history, an established role in society and a contribution to philosophical thought. QAnon, on the other hand, sounds like the disjointed ramblings of a person with schizophrenia.

Dunno, it's 'social media scientology' - a safe space for people with a few screws loose who are easily gulled. Scientology has always been about persuading the dim by providing a community of fellow dimbulbs.

The more concerning thing is how much the "Christian Nationalist" piece has come to the fore.

It was always there in the GOP (certainly since the Reagan era) but it's really moving front and centre now.

Multiple people are openly calling for the Government to be "faith based" and the changes to the Supreme court drive that too.

It should be deeply worrying for everyone.

Here is what Trump is handing out at his rallies...

(Even though he said on Friday he finished the wall)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

THAT is what the GQP fear the most. It's why they should have immediately thrown him under the bus after he lost the election. They then had the opportunity to shift from the GQP back to the GOP. Had 2 years to distance themselves from the conspiracy theorists and all his... fans.

But they didn't and now that is their nightmare situation. If they p1ss him off he would run as independent. Simply to screw them over. No other reason. In his mind it would be: "I made them, I can break them. Let's show them how powerful I am. I will DESTROY them". And that would split the GQP/GOP vote and guarantee a Dem landslide.

Plus, it wouldn't be his own money. It would be funded by all his Nigerian Prince letters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement