Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Wasn't there a trump fan here claiming that dems always hold themselves out as victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭briany

Donald Trump says crazy sh*t. Sane, objective people say "Wow. That was some crazy sh*t." and Trump's supporters go, "Haha. Triggered. Love Trump."

Although it's tempting to feel gobsmacked by many of the things that Trump says, and I've certainly fallen for that temptation, it's really just a part of Steve Bannon's stated tactic of 'flood the zone with sh*t'. I don't know if it's deliberate on Trump's part - it's highly arguable that it's just his natural inclination these days to sound off - but the result is the same either way. Do something outrageous and the media reports on it, but that draws attention away from moves being made in the background of true political consequence. Also, by normalising crazy, you destroy any kind of middle ground. What's commonly accepted as true or right gets called into question, leading to chaos. Out of that chaos comes the chance to refashion the political order to your own liking. Not saying that Bannon and co. will be successful in that attempt, but it's their best opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

"I had no involvement in the murder your honour, when I pulled the trigger it only lasted seconds. OK?"

"Literally, my involvement lasted seconds"

A similar line was uttered by Trump when attempting to excuse his dalliance with Stormy Daniels..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭briany

Just gonna commit a little bit of treason, Stan.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 83,023 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Remember Trump had trouble finding lawyers?

His latest filing is PRO SE

🥹

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Even with his problems finding attorneys that is hard to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Unfortunately it appears that there are 3 lawyers on the brief and that rather than representing himself, it's just a really bad piece of legal writing. That said? If the 3 amigos are that bad at boilerplate? He may actually be better off representing himself 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Is Treason in a USA situation helping an enemy your at war with. Could be wrong.

just to add

Is revolution legal in the US?

Increasingly, as Americans included it in their constitutions, the right of revolution came to be seen as a constitutional principle permitting the people as the sovereign to control government and revise their constitutions without limit.

• Advertisement

Nope. Revolution is not a constitutional right.

Article V is the right of the people to revise the constitution as often as they see fit, as a mechanism within the constitution. No revolutions required.

The whackadoodles who spout this try to use an ironically very (very) liberal interpretation of the 2nd amendment, while ignoring myriad other places in the constitution where things like Insurrection and Treason are expressly called out as not being constitutional.

Who has time to read 7 pages anyway?

Advocating to overthrow the government, 18 U.S. Code § 2385, is a 20 year criminal offense.

It's a little bit weird to just post a quote without even referencing the source.... You omitted the portion where it states that constitutional states can amend their constitution and put in place new governments, making a right to revolution not a relevant thing. On top of that, a violent revolution to be viewed as semi okay requires it to be under some form of an oppressive regime... The US has issues but is not a totalitarian state and Trump is not some freedom fighter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_revolution#:~:text=In%20political%20philosophy%2C%20the%20right,of%20the%20people%20without%20cause.

The constitutional logic of recognizing the people, not a king, as the sovereign implied the irrelevance of a right of revolution in America. This did not develop instantly or uniformly after the establishment of American governments. Some of the first state constitutions included "alter or abolish" provisions that mirrored the traditional right of revolution. ... Other state constitutions adopted different versions of this right to "alter or abolish" government that did not sound like the traditional right of revolution. In these provisions, the ability of the people to revise constitutions existed regardless of the traditional preconditions for the right of revolution. ... Increasingly, as Americans included it in their constitutions, the right of revolution came to be seen as a constitutional principle permitting the people as the sovereign to control government and revise their constitutions without limit. In this way, the right broke loose from its traditional moorings of resistance to oppression. The alter or abolish provisions could now be interpreted consistent with the constitutional principle that in America, the sovereign was the people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Who said trump was a freedom fighter. I simply put my loose knowledge up.

Amendment II (1791)

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Seems odd if you dont support the right to displace a government via revolution. Has Scotus ruled on this. take sedition it's not in there either. i'm using this link.

This is exactly the ultra-liberal abuse of the 2nd Amendment I was previously referring to.

Do us all a favor, and please take a few minutes to read all 7 pages of the Constitution.

Article I states Congress [shall have the power]:

To provide for calling forth the Militia* to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions; [TLDR->> *]

It also states:

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

And also:

The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States.They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

Article II states:

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Article III states:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

Article IV States:

A Person charged in any State with Treason, Felony, or other Crime, who shall flee from Justice, and be found in another State, shall on Demand of the executive Authority of the State from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the State having Jurisdiction of the Crime.

The 14th Amendment states:

Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice-President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.

*TLDR: The constitution does not extend some hidden-text right in the 2nd amendment to insurrection or rebellion. To the contrary, it expressly criminalizes Treason, Insurrection, and Rebellion in numerous places both within the original five article Constitution and its Amendments. AND IT EMPOWERS THE CONGRESS TO CALL UPON THE MILITIA TO SUPPRESS IT!

Against all that, you argued that "security of a free state" is meant to read "Right to insurrection, rebellion, or treason?"

Sure, Jan.

So.. he went through them himself?

Now he has to either admit that he did it, or that he made a mistake and didn't know what was classified docs and what was not. Can't see him admitting that with his ego...

Catch 22

More lies and lies and lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"ALL documents have been previously declassified."

If they didn't go through the proper declassification process, Trump is f*cked. He's basically admitting he knows there were documents there which had security classification and would have required declassification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Panrich

Unwarranted is an unfortunate choice of words to describe the operation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That 1st Sentence/Paragraph is painful to read. How many unnecessary commas are in there?

Any further thoughts on the motive as to why Trump took the docs?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Protection. Trump knows the walls are closing in (pick from the number of cases coming to fruition). He learnt the value of kompromat so when he's sitting across the table when he's charged, he'll simply say that if you charge me then I'll release copies of the documents that I had in MAL to the public

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Protection is probably part of it, but IMP it was mostly down to his own ego. He doesn't accept that he is no longer the POTUS. and wants to continue to feel like he is the top dog.

They are valuable items, and as such he wants them so that he can tell people how is has something valuable. not only valuable, but something no one else can get. So priceless really.

He is very much into bragging, that no point in having wealth and power unless everyone knows just how wealthy and powerful you are. His whole life is based on that.

Secondly, I think he genuinely thought he would never be called up on it. He is allowed to get away with pretty much anything, he has never faced a consequence for anything he did as POTUS, including the big lie about the election, that he probably thought that he would just ride it out. The FBI would keep asking and he would do as little as possible to keep them off his back but ultimately they would simply not care enough.

I think that is where the shock, and there is clearly shock, that the FBI actually carried out a search warrant. He assumed it would never ever get to that. He is Donald f Trump, Bestest and most popular POTUS ever. No way they will actually carry through.

The reason I ask is because I was reminded this morning that Biden, breaking with tradition, opted to decline Trump getting the classified briefings post presidency.

My thought is that Trump took offence, as he is prone to do, and angerly decided to retaliate by taking a shed load of documents.

I'd like to think that there was something more sinister (such as blackmail, or selling state secrets) so that he would get both barrels of the court, and he may do for other reasons, but I can't shake the notion that the documents fiasco was just was him being a spiteful little b*tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd be willing to bet some of the documents pre-date the election, and that for most of the documents, Trump took them for the reason he does everything else; because he could* and it might benefit him.

*"could" meaning believed he could because he felt he could do whatever he wanted, regardless of the fact it was illegal to take them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Which might work if you have documents that a 3rd party country don't want released, but when the state whose secrets you are threatening to release is the same one that you are currently residing in and the one that is taking the legal action against you for having said documents... Threatening to release the documents that you claim not to have isn't going to be the greatest defense ever.

So that does make it very likely that it's what his "plan" is, if you could ever claim Trump was capable of thinking more than half a step ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Is his use of caps lock for certain words deliberate for his supporters who may be a bit challenged in the reading department? Or is it a sign of his anger?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Well that's my point, if they make it clear that they have them bang to rights on all charges what other option does he have but the 'nuclear' option (if you'll forgive the choice of word) to lessen the charges

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Absolutely, this is exactly the way Trump's mind works.

What is very interesting is Biden's decision not to grant Trump the traditional classified briefing. It seems possible that the IC were aware of Trump having these docs already and may have been aware (through foreign intel) that he was sharing the contents. It would have been impossible for them to take the docs from him when he was president of course, so I wonder if this is them finally getting to do what they've wanted to do since he left office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement