Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Donald Trump will be the 47th President of the United States, mark my words. The chance was there to stop it. The chance is gone.

Is there a prohibition on convicted felons holding the highest office in the US government? Trump is being criminally investigated in Georgia or his attempts to intimidate the governor into declaring a fraudulent election result.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What stunt will the Democrats attempt next to dance on Trumps political grave ?

They wasted a week of the Senates time on their failed witch hunt.

Witch hunt?

I suppose that kool aid tasted pretty good to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Very happy with the result. All those republicans who voted against him should be ashamed. And all the democrats. Cannot believe not one voted in Trumps favour. Solidifies my disrespect for the democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,088 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Donald Trump will be the 47th President of the United States, mark my words. The chance was there to stop it. The chance is gone.

It's in the bag. Check the bookies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Akrasia wrote: »
    Is there a prohibition on convicted felons holding the highest office in the US government? Trump is being criminally investigated in Georgia or his attempts to intimidate the governor into declaring a fraudulent election result.

Maybe you guys can get jobs as guards in the gulag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Very happy with the result. All those republicans who voted against him should be ashamed. And all the democrats. Cannot believe not one voted in Trumps favour. Solidifies my disrespect for the democrats.

And what about McConnells words?
    He blames Trump for the events of the 6th of January, but he voted not to convict.

Do you agree with him, or is he on your naughty list also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I'm sure this will tear them apart emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I watched it live!

That's not what I said.

Don you know what the word citation means?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It's funny that you think this is over.

All of this shows how lucky America is to have Democrats in control of all 3 branches of Government. Plenty wrong with them, but the Republicans are so much more unappealing as a group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He won't. It would take a miracle of gigantic proportions.

However, he wasn't ever going to suffer any consequences from this. The Republicans were never going to vote in favour en masse, because if Trump went down, it would look extremely bad for them too.

To put this simply, the only thing the public will remember from this is that Trump was impeached twice and came away from it.

As to him being the next President, that can't happen without the support of a major party and the Republicans have no desire to get tainted by him and his bollocks again.

Tony EH wrote: »

However, he wasn't ever going to suffer any consequences from this. The Republicans were never going to vote in favour en masse, because if Trump went down, it would look extremely bad for them too.

To put this simply, the only thing the public will remember from this is that Trump was impeached twice and came away from it.

As to him being the next President, that can't happen with the support of a major party and the Republicans have no desire to get tainted by him and his bollocks again.

Anyone fancies Trump to be president should lash money on him now, sky giving 7/1 easy money right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I guess we now know the Republican nominee for 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

That's true but doesn't take the charges into account. The charges regarding Georgia would be quite specific and the evidence pretty much bang to rights. He also wouldn't have co conspirators on the jury.

Unlikely it will happen I'd imagine, but the usual civil vs criminal distinction is mitigated here.

Not sure why you're bringing Georgia into the quote you are quoting?

The charges, imo with regards Georgia would be even more specific because there is a recording of that direct call and the direct call to find the votes + 1 versus using his words to incite an insurrection over months and moments both as compelling as each other in their own right.

Call me Al wrote: »
    McConnell votes to acquit and proceeds to stand up and make a speech blaming Trump directly for the insurrection.
    He has absolutely no honour.
    Disgraceful stuff.
    A textbook definition of someone having their cake and eating it too

He can continue to 'condemn' the actions of Trump without having to suffer any of the political backlash from actually acting on that condemnation

The guy is absolutely shameless

65% of American voters believe that the election was free and fair, and that includes 32% of Republicans, i.e. 65% of Americans and 32% of Republicans believe he consistently lied about the election being rigged.

https://morningconsult.com/form/tracking-voter-trust-in-elections/

So no, it is very unlikely that he will be the 2024 GOP candidate, and it is even more unlikely that he will win if he is.

What makes you so happy?

You like the idea of a president who calls for an insurrection to overturn a legitimate election and while the elected representatives were fulfilling their duties, and the parliament is invaded by violent thugs looking to harm kidnap or kill these representatives, this same president sits idly by, watching it unfold on television, and refusing to call in additional resources to protect the capitol.

Which part of that do you like the best?

I'd like to remind you of your own lack of response to my question, was the election stolen?

This is the whole point of that rally on the 6th of January, the election was stolen.. based under the guise of "save America" rally.. the two of these headers were one and of the same.. Joe Biden was the elected representative voted for and by the people of the US.

Just like the first impeachment, he is lucky that he holds so much sway over so little many little folk.

You didn't hear McConnell speak, did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

65% of American voters believe that the election was free and fair, and that includes 32% of Republicans, i.e. 65% of Americans and 32% of Republicans believe he consistently lied about the election being rigged.

https://morningconsult.com/form/tracking-voter-trust-in-elections/

So no, it is very unlikely that he will be the 2024 GOP candidate, and it is even more unlikely that he will win if he is.

Bringing that crap out again, they surveyed less than 2,000 voters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

He'd get my vote if he ran in 2024.

It's not crap, you just didn't understand it, and apparently you still don't.

Tony EH wrote: »

As to him being the next President, that can't happen without the support of a major party and the Republicans have no desire to get tainted by him and his bollocks again.

The american public may forget the details of this, but the world, the US' allies around the world will remember that the republican party voted to not convict this man for what he so obviously did.

The US may begin to come in from the cold during the Biden presidency, they may begin to repair some of the damage Trump has caused, but in 3 and a half years time, if the republicans look like winning the next election, the rest of the civilised world will know that the republicans are not people that we can do business with.
    Most of the sitting republican senators endorsed Trumpism today, despite McConnell's disgracefully disingenuous weasel words

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Akrasia wrote: »
    Who'd have thunk it?

At least when he stands trial in Georgia, he will do so in front of a Jury instead of a bunch of self interested politicians

The lack of accountability is staggering, and until one of them ends up in front of a proper court where they have to actually answer questions, there won't be any.

Pretty sure you have no actual proof that it wasn't fair... Conspiracy theories forum might be more up your street.

You didn't hear McConnell speak, did you?

McConnell didn't endorse Trump in the 2016 election, Trump got the nomination because the field was extremely crowded, so Trump was able to win a lot of the primary elections with 15-20% of votes, The other candidates took 'moderate' republican votes off each other, Trump took the 'burn it all down' vote on his own.

In theory, McConnell could put pressure on primary candidates to not run such a crowded field, but if Trump runs again, he could get a 30% vote in every primary while the other candidates would be taking votes from each other

If Trump runs again, the Primary system will be in his favour

When it comes to the actual election, Trump came way too close for comfort in 2020

I don't think Trump will run in 2024. But if he did, McConnell may not be able to stop him winning the nomination

Pretty sure you have no actual proof that it wasn't fair... Conspiracy theories forum might be more up your street.

No thanks, has already been laughed outta there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

No thanks, has already been laughed outta there.

What?

Was the election stolen?

• Advertisement

What?

You implied the election was not fair, why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement