Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,429 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Democrat chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee commits to oversight on the Durham investigation following the NYT report last week that Durham had reportedly, as part of his work, flown to Italy and other places to solicit evidence under his original mandate (to reverse-investigate the DOJ over it's Trump-Russia handling) and what ended up happening according to the NYT and its alleged sources is the Italians actually supplied Durham and the DOJ with evidence that implicated the POTUS in financial crimes, the evidence was compelling enough to run across AG William Barr, who instructed Durham to pursue a criminal investigation into Donald Trump over the financial criminal allegations (which at first read, is way out of his scope and a huge move to do without notifying congress - going from investigating the DOJ to criminally investigating the current POTUS, clandestinely at that, if the New York Times is to be believed).

There's also the matter that Durham circumvented a judge who twice barred him under the law from seeking private emails of Democratic megadonor, George Soros. After being told his warrant was denied twice he went to Russian intelligence sources to acquire them:

Mr. Durham used Russian intelligence memos — suspected by other U.S. officials of containing disinformation — to gain access to emails of an aide to George Soros, the financier and philanthropist who is a favorite target of the American right and Russian state media. Mr. Durham used grand jury powers to keep pursuing the emails even after a judge twice rejected his request for access to them. The emails yielded no evidence that Mr. Durham has cited in any case he pursued.

These reports about abuses in Special Counsel Durham’s investigation—so outrageous that even his longtime colleagues quit in protest—are but one of many instances where former President Trump and his allies weaponized the Justice Department.

The Justice Department should work on behalf of the American people, not for the personal benefit of any president. As we wait for the results of ongoing internal reviews, the Senate Judiciary Committee will do its part and take a hard look at these repeated episodes, and the regulations and policies that enabled them, to ensure such abuses of power cannot happen again.

I am certainly interested in tuning into this eventual hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Another example of ETTD. Durham was a respected attorney before getting involved with TFG and his gangster cabal. If these hearings prove misconduct on his part, that will likely result in sanctioning and disbarring again - like what happened to Eastman.

All these lawyers taking TFG's coin should have a look at themselves and what happens to them. Cassidy Hutchinson's lawyer is on leave from his law firm as a result of his shenanigans. The list just goes on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭francois

Didn't TFG claim only the guilty plead the 5th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭francois

The question was rhetorical

• Registered Users Posts: 19,421 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

HRC never pleaded the fifth, if I remember correctly...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes. But he has history using it too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/10/nyregion/trump-fifth-amendment-comments.html

During his divorce proceedings against Ivana Trump in 1990, he invoked his right against self-incrimination close to 100 times according to Wayne Barrett’s book “Trump: The Greatest Show on Earth.” Most of the questions he was avoiding concerned his infidelity.

I am not surprised. After buying her way onto the board of Clemson University, from being a Governor and an US Ambassador, the gig just signaled she was readying to do this IMO.

I do not have anything nice to say about her. My formal protestations to the University that they should say something about her having declared "we need to make sure we deport [US Senator Reverend Raphael] Warnock," naturally fell on deaf ears and walls. Even the Clemson subreddit moderators had no interested in hosting any mention of it as a topic (her daughter sailed right through here recently, and on the Student Government). Be aware. If she can so haphazardly corrupt Clemson's institutions (and corrupted the State, and corrupted her Ambassadorship...) she can certainly go farther if people are distracted by her showcraft.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The GOP are going to do it again aren't they?

Trump has 25%/30% of the GOP Primary votes locked up with the MAGA loons and if they don't sort themselves out behind the scenes and coalesce behind one or two candidates , they are going to hand him the nomination by default.

Just like in 2016 - There's going to be a dozen or so other middling candidates running against him to split the "Not Trump" vote so that he keeps winning primaries.

DeSantis, Haley, Pence, Pompeo, Sununu, Tim Scott, Youngkin and probably several other virtual nobodies are going to declare.

They will never learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump's rivals will have to walk the line of basically agreeing with Trump's message, but at the same time outlining why he shouldn't be president. Tricky one, that.

After a slump following the midterms, Trump's numbers v DeSantis appear to have recovered to a healthy lead nationwide. However, I take the point that these numbers could shift when it gets down to the business end of the primaries, but whatever happens I see no scenario where Trump is not at least a kingmaker in the process and therefore remaining highly relevant to the direction of the Republican party.

Well, that is unless he either dies or goes to jail. Speaking of which, what's the story with legal proceedings against him?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I can't see those who voted for any of the alternatives switching to trump if he got the nominee as he's campaigning on a completely different message

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Oh , I agree he is utterly un-electable on the National stage , but he has enough die hard supporters that vote in primaries that if the rest of the GOP can't consolidate around a single alternative candidate he'll win the nomination by being the tallest pygmy.

Trumps immovable support within the GOP is somewhere in the mid 20's , so if the other ~75% of votes are split among a hodge-podge of 10+ other candidates , by the time they've been whittled down Trump may already have a lead that can't be caught.

If all of the 6-8 semi-realistic GOP candidates put their names forward , it's an absolute gift to Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Well, not necessarily. Someone will have to get the majority of the votes of the delegates to the GOP national convention to be the nominee. It isn't just a matter of needing to have more than anyone else. Which is why it isn't uncommon for there to be multiple ballots, frequently with candidates that aren't perceived as having a chance of being the eventual winner throwing their support behind one of the other candidates. If Trump has more people that want him the most, but not enough people that are willing to live with him, he might not win.

And if he does win, he certainly shouldn't be written off. Since their loss in 2020 the Republicans have been doing everything they can to make sure that they can override the will of the people in states that they control. And because of the fvcked up way the President is elected in the US (by the states via the Electoral College rather than being voted on by the people) if they can override the people in enough states they can install him as President regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

We should never make any absolute predictions about anything in politics and writing Trump off is no exception.

of course not, but my own prediction would be that him getting the nod would result in Biden having the best chance to keep the WH..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

NOW what will the trump snowflakes do?

"Oh, WHEN are the FBI gonna raid Biden's house????!!!!! Huh? HUH?"

Today! Bring it on. Let the chips fall where they may:

FBI search President Biden's home in Delaware - BBC News

The last few years have told me that trying to predict political outcomes in the present climate is a bit of a fool's errand. I never expected Trump to beat Clinton in 2016. I never thought brexit would pass and believed that the British would have more sense. I didn't think Vladimir Putin would actually start a full on war in the Ukraine.

And all of that was in the space of just 6 years.

On the flipside of that you had Trump supporters putting money on a Trump win in 2021 and he ended up losing the WH, and both houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The leader of the GOP, ladies and gents.

• Advertisement

Remember when people said he didn't invite violence on Jan 6?

We have gone from stand down and stand by to "locked and loaded"

I'd readily believe this re-truth (tm) is true but needs verification.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just a bunch of internet warriors. Mouth pieces following the biggest mouth piece of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Sparko

I've just checked his page and it's there, currently 7 posts down from the start (at time of my post, most recent post is an article titled “The Russia-Ukraine War Would Have Never Happened Under President Trump”)

Just a bunch of internet warriors

Can we NOT downplay it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m not down playing anything that happened but mouth pieces on the internet are just that including Trump, he’s a mouth piece who was never going to get himself physically involved in the things he sent others to do because he’s a coward. 80 million plus? It’s just delusional nonsense from some old loser sitting in his comfortable chair aghast at the changing world and not liking how people are no longer falling into line with conservatives.

I didn't mean the 80 million part. I mean the part where America has lunatics, violent lunatics, and january 6 showed they can be incited. And Trump is broadcasting their nonsense, again.

old loser sitting in his comfortable chair aghast at the changing world and not liking how people are no longer falling into line with conservatives.

Which more or less describes many participants of January 6. There are an indeterminate number of other Americans who are sympatico with what happened on January 6 but where not in that instance involved, and still others who may become radicalized by propaganda about January 6, especially misinformation about the civil rights of those in jail ahead of their court cases being finalized. The US will never run out of nutters willing to risk everything for an insane and violent act.

The credibility of the election truther movement takes a jaw dropping new low I didn’t know existed in DC politics.

If these bozos try any nonsense, there's part of me that hope law enforcement go in hard this time. There really needs to be an end put to this shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Incident number 10010101356 in ETTD: 15 minutes of fame over for Alina Habba:

https://www.rawstory.com/trump-replaces-yet-another-lawyer-after-she-is-sanctioned-for-frivolous-election-lawsuits-report

Hoping that the DOJ goes after Barr and Durham for their misbehavior hiding the information Italy gave them about TFG's potential financial crimes. That'd be two more lawyers destroyed by their association with TFG, none more deserving than Barr.

NYT opinion piece with links to original reporting:

https://archive.is/XXAMp#selection-603.567-606.0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement